Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 12th November 2016, 11:23   #286
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Did this happen suddenly? Was there no sign of anything abnormal with the clutch earlier?
Yes that's right - there was no previous sign of anything abnormal with the clutch earlier. Just a simple straight driving and I started to feel the clutch was acting funny - like when I was pressing it was too soft, then when I tried to change gear the gear remained slotted where it was (in this case - it was 5th gear). I pumped the clutch and got a little bit of feeling - enough to re slot the gear. However, this was so temporary that I lost the clutch again within a couple of hundred yards. Slowly I managed to get it into neutral and pull up on the side.

My previous two experiences with clutch were years ago -

a) With Opel Corsa Sail - the clutch play was getting reduced but the feel was there. It was like the first 1" of the clutch pressing was not there and the rest was there. There was enough days like that until I took it to the Opel workshop and they replaced the clutch.

b) The next was Hyundai Santro - the clutch became hard but yes it was always functional. We were driving from Kolkata to Shantiniketan and I felt it was hard. But it was there - never like gone missing totally. The drive was completed with no incident.

So, to me the clutch going missing and the gear remaining slotted where it was - while driving was a spot of bother. Yes, the beauty of it was there was a MASS within a couple of kilometers, then another one in next 45 kms and another one after another 45-50 kms. Its a huge relief that one is able to call Maruti 24/7 helpline and they can send help over.

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2016, 18:02   #287
BHPian

Hello

So, I drove to Pratham motors, Outer Ring Road Bangalore today to check if the vehicle needed anything after the recent time in Gonipoppal.

All minus 2 services of my Ertiga have been done at Pratham over the last 4 years. I know most of the staff and certainly all the senior management people.

I gave them the detail story on Mandya, Mysore and Gonikoppal, they pulled out the record of what was done at these places and concluded that the clutch plate is not required to be touched. The reason they told me was that in case the clutch plate is not doing well then the acceleration will slow down, the power pick up won't be experienced and the vehicle will have very sluggish performance. Per them, if these indicators are not there, then clutch plate does not need to be touched.

I had asked the costing etc but it was the considered opinion of three people there that all work that was needed to be done had been done and the vehicle was all set.

The following had been changed in Mysore - clutch hydraulic assembly cylinder and in Gonikoppal the synchonizer rings had been replaced. So, based off on what had been replaced, based off on the present condition they determined that nothing needs to be done.

So, I came back. While I am happy that nothing is needed to be done, however, I am also confused if there is any nagging issue in the vehicle.

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2016, 18:13   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
concluded that the clutch plate is not required to be touched. The reason they told me was that in case the clutch plate is not doing well then the acceleration will slow down, the power pick up won't be experienced and the vehicle will have very sluggish performance. Per them, if these indicators are not there, then clutch plate does not need to be touched.
This is interesting! The correct way to address the Sync Ring issue is to also replace the entire clutch assembly along with these rings - This is to be done as a preventive and a proactive measure.

If you look at my update, at 97,000 kms my clutch was also healthy with no signs of judder or weakness and if not for the sync ring issue, it would have easily gone past 1.2 Lac kms at least without any sweat. In fact, even when the clutch was removed, the ASC confirmed that it was in good shape.

There have been good cases of the sync rings symptom cropping up again in next 10-15000 kms only because clutch was not replaced earlier.

You can read this entire thread running 6 pages and reviews from owners on Ertiga, Swift and Dzire regarding the synchronizer ring issue. You will notice how most of them who got the Sync rings replaced have also replaced the clutch kit as per recommendation/advise from MSIL.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...r-failure.html (Ertiga, Dzire & Swift: Gearbox Synchronizer Failure)

Further to this, I may add that when you are charged labor for dismantling and refitting the Gearbox, replacing the clutch is wise as you save completely on labor here since the Gearbox is anyway down for this job.
paragsachania is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2016, 18:22   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This is interesting! The correct way to address the Sync Ring issue is to also replace the entire clutch assembly along with these rings - This is to be done as a preventive and a proactive measure.
....Further to this, I may add that when you are charged labor for dismantling and refitting the Gearbox, replacing the clutch is wise as you save completely on labor here since the Gearbox is anyway down for this job.
Thanks Parag.

This is indeed interesting. Or maybe I am missing something. Let me check the paperwork again - maybe the parts are called differently and billed differently.

I mean the car was at Gonikoppal for 2 full days - all parts required were available between there and Mysore. So, whatever was needed to be changed was changed and the vehicle has done more than 750 kms since then with no issues.

Let me check the paperwork again and see what was done and if there is something I am missing.

Will report back.

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2016, 18:28   #290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Further to this, I may add that when you are charged labor for dismantling and refitting the Gearbox, replacing the clutch is wise as you save completely on labor here since the Gearbox is anyway down for this job.
+1 to everything and let me also add that, at whatever kilometers your/anyone's car presently is, the clutch must have at least seen half of its life. And when this entire circus is done, why not change it as it would better for both [synchro rings & clutch]
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2016, 18:33   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
Let me check the paperwork again and see what was done and if there is something I am missing.

Will report back.
You only need to ask the ASC why they think replacing clutch is not needed for the issue that you are facing and give examples of many who have replaced the clutch along with the Sync rings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
+1 to everything and let me also add that, at whatever kilometers your/anyone's car presently is, the clutch must have at least seen half of its life. And when this entire circus is done, why not change it as it would better for both [synchro rings & clutch]
True. Even with a healthy clutch the "wear" is imminent and its still not really new!

Although it pained to spend on the clutch, eventually I was satisfied more because I would have had to spend on the clutch sooner or later and also pay labor again or I was skeptical that the issue will crop up again.

People asked me, what if the Sync ring issue comes up again with this new clutch and I said to me it surfaced first at 97,000 and I will wait for another 97,000 kms and won't mind spending then. For now, the big spending that waits are the tires and the Timing chain - Easily will make my wallet lighter by at least 35-36K .....But hey, that's what I am spending on usual wear and tear and for me most of these parts have seen super good life - Clutch, Brake Pads, Tires etc.

Last edited by paragsachania : 15th November 2016 at 18:37.
paragsachania is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote