Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 3rd August 2015, 15:22   #106
M35
BHPian

Default re: Mahindra Scorpio SLE (M-Hawk) - Six years & 99,000 kms

Update :
ODO: 99,200 km

Back home after another major trip covering 2000+ km.
Palakkad- Bangalore- Hyderabad and back. Returned home via Mysore/Bandipur. Was badly needing a break from the 4-Laned roads, hence the Bandipur route.

Scorp performed at its best with no glitches but a couple of sore points :
  • A flying stone from a Truck hit left bottom of the front windshield = An immediate crack that slowly expanded to about 15 cm long over time until it settled visibly. Drove about 1000 km after the incident though. The cost of windshield replacement should be around Rs.12,000 at the A.S.S, but will not hurry if the crack doesn’t expand anymore. If needed a replacement, I am thinking of making an insurance claim. Currently I do enjoy the NCB and it was just in the last month I paid the insurance premium. Suggestions are appreciated.
  • Left rear Yoko doesn’t seem to hold air. Will take it out to check for any puncture @Track, my tyre expert this afternoon.
Mahindra Scorpio SLE (M-Hawk) - 7 years and 1,18,000 km! EDIT: Totaled!-dsc_3093.jpg
M35 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2015, 11:10   #107
M35
BHPian

Default re: Mahindra Scorpio SLE (M-Hawk) - Six years & 1,00,000 kms

The crack on the windshield grew for another inch or so.

Currently I get a 50 % NCB, since I haven't made any claim, which is transferable to a new car to get a nearly 50 % discount on it's insurance premium then.

I called up Windshield Experts @ Coimbatore who quoted a much less amount for the windshield replacement = Rs.8,6xx. These convince me to pay up from my pocket this time around.
M35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 14:45   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
They also found a hose to radiator faulty hence replaced.
I would recommend you replace all belts, rubber hoses, fuel lines and engine and GB mountings since you have hit 100k km.

They go a long way in assuring bullet proof reliability for the vehicle. I had done it, and it gave me a lot of peace of mind.
n.devdath is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 10:24   #109
M35
BHPian

Update:
ODO: 99500 km

Replaced the windshield @ Windshield Experts. Also got a pair of Bosch wiper blades fitted.Total damage: Rs. 9220. Didn't make any claim since didn't want to lose the 50% NCB benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I would recommend you replace all belts, rubber hoses, fuel lines and engine and GB mountings since you have hit 100k km.
Thanks Dev for that.Will do the same @ 1Lac km service but since I will be leaving India soon and not much running after that, I am thinking of those done just prior to my next visit, in January.
I hope it's fine. BTW what should be the cost for the work you posted ?
Old 7th August 2015, 10:57   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Dev for that.Will do the same @ 1Lac km service but since I will be leaving India soon and not much running after that, I am thinking of those done just prior to my next visit, in January.
I hope it's fine. BTW what should be the cost for the work you posted ?
Yes yes, you can change them when you come here the next time.

However, I would suggest you order all the hoses in advance since the ASC might not have all of them in stock. It happened to me.
n.devdath is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 16:15   #111
M35
BHPian

Default 100000 km update

100000 km update :

Oops !
I wanted to take an image with 100000 km on the odometer. Missed it and now it reads 100230 km.

Not that it was a bullet-proof ownership but loved every bit of maintaining, driving and owning this beast. In this six years of running, ‘Scorp’ did experience a failed slave [Clutch] cylinder and a radiator fan with no prior warning. But the very supportive customer care base stood by, whenever it mattered the most.

This vehicle is built to last. The integrity of the entire body shell/cage, the sheet metal used, the quality of paint and the quality of materials used in general for the premium it commanded is definitely worth a praise.

Earlier ‘Scorp’ did face some trouble with the functioning/malfunctioning of it’s ABS which gave it some headache but eventually resolved thanks to a great gesture by Mahindra who replaced the entire ABS control module free of cost, even when the vehicle was out of the warranty period. Though ABS kicked in many a times whenever required, it was a couple of days back the ABS sign showed up once again after two years or so. But then yesterday it didn’t show up though I was driving the whole day.

‘Scorp’ remains underused for most part of the year in my absence. It’s only around 3 months/year it gets used. Even then, it goes on and on cruising @ 120 km/hr the whole day with no glitches, rattles or niggles every single time its out on long drives/trips.

Though 6 years is unbelievable for me, achieving a 10,0000 km milestone is an exciting moment indeed.

I feel “Scorp” is in for a longer haul

Mahindra Scorpio SLE (M-Hawk) - 7 years and 1,18,000 km! EDIT: Totaled!-dsc_2613.jpg
M35 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2015, 20:26   #112
M35
BHPian

Update:
Odo: 102500 km

Almost 3 months of some exercise for ‘Scorp’ is coming to an end shortly, with me flying out in a couple of days.
  • Covered approximately 14,000 kms during this period.
  • Highest FE returned : 13.2 kmpL
  • Good average FE around 11.5-12.0 kmpL
  • Number of break-downs: 3
1+2/3 :Engine overheat issue –Twice
Firstly identified [ at A.S.C] as a failed viscous fan which was replaced with ‘Scorp’ spending 2 days at an A.S.C. The engine overheat warning sign showed up again when a similar [ to the first incident] situation was duplicated. Wrote to Mahindra CC, following that the vehicle was picked up for a thorough inspection, for which ‘Scorp’ had to spend another 3 days at the A.S.C. A very co-operative team @Eram motors, Trissur had their inspection done and dropped the vehicle back home. They changed one of the slightly leaking/ sweating hoses, cleaned the temperature reading sensor, inspected associated electrical components. The issue seemed to have settled for time being, as I had done a couple of trips duplicating similar driving conditions= hot day + AC + stop/Go traffic for an hour or so. Earlier, I wasn’t happy since their exercise of changing the Viscous fan [ first time around] to address the overheat issue didn’t prove right and I expressed my displeasure while communicating with Mahindra.

3/3 :Clutch failure:
Happened yesterday, due to a failed sleeve cylinder, as told at the A.S.C. A second one of this sort, the first time being some years back as posted by me earlier.
It was yesterday I was driving to Velankanni via Bodi and Theni. On the Theni Ghat, the clutch pedal hesitated to return after having it depressed twice. Knew it straight away, hence drove in just 2nd Gear to safety and it was easy in the early morning. Near Theni city, tried changing gears and found things normal, but found some oil mark under the Gearbox. Decided to get it checked at the Mahindra A.S.C which was about 4 kms from there before proceeding any further. Drove in to Hotel Western Ghats for an early breakfast thinking of taking it to the A.S.C by 9.00 am. But at the parking area of the restaurant, the clutch failed completely. Customer care/Mahindra got the vehicle towed to the A.S.C after coordinating with the Theni dealership. I was lucky that it happened near a place which is not so remote with an available A.S.C in the vicinity.

In an hour and half, the vehicle reached A.S.C. The technician and SM arrived by 10.30 and changed the sleeve cylinder after opening the Gearbox. The vehicle was ready by 1.30 pm after having the sleeve cylinder replaced and brake oil topped up. I thought that was quick.
Meanwhile a Lady called up from Mahindra if I needed any more help. Earlier I had written an email to CC/Mahindra and Regional CC Manager /Kochi, narrating the entire episode of the fate of my “Scorp” considering the way the vehicle gets inspected/Serviced on a regular basis at Mahindra A.S.Cs as part of my “Preventive Maintenance”. I am yet to get a reply this time around.

Sleeve cylinder + I L oil = Rs. 3845
Labour : 3319 which includes the towing charge around RS.350, I guess.
Total damage: Rs. 7164

Maintaining a Mahindra isn’t getting any cheap. Isn’t it ? Especially that Labour charge.
I reached home safely this morning and I do feel for my “Scorp” and my family for the troubles experienced off-late.

Last edited by M35 : 24th August 2015 at 20:39.
M35 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 07:37   #113
Team-BHP Support

The clutch issue recurred in your Scorpio?! I thought the changed design had that fixed!
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 13:36   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I thought the changed design had that fixed!
M&M had changed the housing of the clutch slave cylinder from plastic to metal and the incidence has definitely come down, however, that is not the issue.

The real issue is the location of the slave cylinder inside the bell housing which makes it a pain to access and replace even if one has a spare piece in stock inside the vehicle. Also, there is no way an owner/mechanic can pre-empt the failure of the component.
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 14:40   #115
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I thought the changed design had that fixed!
Quote:
M&M had changed the housing of the clutch slave cylinder from plastic to metal and the incidence has definitely come down,
When did they change the design ? I mean, which Year?

Quote:
Also, there is no way an owner/mechanic can pre-empt the failure of the component.
Exactly.
This is what it looks like. It is still those plastic components the culprit, I guess.
Mahindra Scorpio SLE (M-Hawk) - 7 years and 1,18,000 km! EDIT: Totaled!-_dsc4834.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio SLE (M-Hawk) - 7 years and 1,18,000 km! EDIT: Totaled!-_dsc4835.jpg
The issue might not be associated with the slave cylinder alone but the entire clutch assembly design. I am not a technical person, but just guessing. Clutch often gets hard and the pedal movement isn’t smooth/linear at times. What I feel is when such thing happens more often, certain sudden release/push of the clutch pedal strains the slave cylinder. Such abrupt pressure variations causing those plastic components giving way prematurely.I could be totally wrong here.
Old 27th August 2015, 14:44   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When did they change the design ? I mean, which Year?
The new component was introduced in late 2013/early 2014.

Also, the box on which you have placed it says "Made in France". Is that so?
n.devdath is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 14:56   #117
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Also, the box on which you have placed it says "Made in France". Is that so?
Yes, made in France, the new one.
Quote:
The new component was introduced in late 2013/early 2014.
That means I was running on an old design, even after the first slave cylinder failure episode which happened in Jan, 2013.
Old 9th September 2015, 18:59   #118
M35
BHPian

Default re: Mahindra Scorpio SLE (M-Hawk) - 7 years and 118000 km!

ODO: 103xxx km

The Scorp got back to his usual self once again and covered another 1000 odd kilometers after the clutch failure. Smooth and strong.

It was the“Onam” season by then and I spent most of the remaining days at home with parents before taking off for another few months away from them and Scorp.

Mahindra Scorpio SLE (M-Hawk) - 7 years and 1,18,000 km! EDIT: Totaled!-_dsc4850.jpg
Old 28th November 2015, 20:21   #119
M35
BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio SLE (M-Hawk) - 7 years and 1,18,000 km! EDIT: Totaled!-dsc_2782.jpg

The m-Hawk continues to get fired up on a daily basis. In addition to that, the ‘Scorp’ is taken for a spin for 10-15km drive every weekend in order to maintain the fitness levels in my absence.

The following are planned for early January just before my visit:
  • 1 lakh km service
  • Need to get 4 new shoes. Contemplating on Michelins, no complaints for the Yokos though.
Missing my ‘Scorp’ as of now.

Mahindra Scorpio SLE (M-Hawk) - 7 years and 1,18,000 km! EDIT: Totaled!-dsc_2665.jpg
Old 5th January 2016, 19:34   #120
M35
BHPian

Time to update the thread, as I am flying back home on Saturday. I am in fact returning to India after some 14 years and was thinking of changing the vehicle. But then, I happened to read this thread of GTO (Want to sell your car because of repairs? Think again!) which changed my mind eventually. I was thinking of a new Storme 400. That thread + certain hilarious comments by some Safari fans on the storme thread made sure that my ‘Scorp’ is going to stay as of now.Noticed some going to an extend trying to justify the lack of features in Storme by making comments like ‘sun roof not suitable as the air is polluted, cruise control making one lazy’… etc = I just don’t belong there. Sorry.

The vehicle has been picked up from home at Palakkad today by Eram Motors, Thrissur. I had just sent an e-mail yesterday to the service manager who promptly made the arrangement for the pick up as usual.

It’s actually the 1 Lakh km service. Some of the issues reported in my e-mail:
  • The AC doesn’t seem to cool the cabin. [The blower works but no cooling at all. Any pointer ?]
  • Some hesitancy in getting the engine fired on starting. I suspect the battery, asked to replace it with a new one if needed.
Once I get the vehicle out of the ASC, I will be driving in to a tyre dealership and getting 4 new brand new tyres. I was thinking of getting Michelins earlier, but I am not able to convince myself not to opt for Yokohama Geos again.

Will update here with the service details soon.
M35 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote