Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 21st March 2013, 00:38   #31
BHPian

Default Re: The Much Loved, Ever Hated Toyota Prius - 140,000 kms!

A very happy cheerful review. The car looks brand new ! I wouldn't believe anyone that said it was 7 years and with 140,000 kms done. Sadly its ridiculously priced in India, and the kmpl figure isn't too impressive to switch over.

I loved the review, esp these points

- The prius, by no means is a entry level car, even in europe. Forget Indian pricing. Glad to see the money charged is justified for the reliability, trouble-free ownership, and a car that doesn't feel out-dated even after 7 years of usage.

- The warranty on the drivetrain, and the batteries performing nicely even after so many years. Hard to believe ! The batteries are not too expensive either even if they warrant a change. I think the batteries on the reva cost about 70k, compared to the 2 lakh on the prius.

- This is a review of a prius that is seven years old, but feels as if its a new car review. I don't know what changes have been made since then in the coming versions, but if toyota as worked on the negative bits you have mentioned then this would be the perfect city car that won't tire you down while driving it, which is what most of us require these days.

Wishing you many more kilometers of silent driving
Xeno is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 01:44   #32
BHPian

Nice to see a Toyota Prius review on team bhp. I agree with each and every point mentioned in the review. Its a hybrid wonder by toyota.
I bought 2008 prius one year back with 73K miles on the ODO. In last one year I have driven 15K miles and the ODO now reads 88K which translates to roughly 142000 kms
I get about 48 mpg overall with my driving style which translates to 20.8 kmpl.

The prius still drives like new just a little rattles in the dashboard.
athanedar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 10:21   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
On pure electric mode you could probably squeeze 3 kms or so of sedate driving.
Is this a typo error? 3km is useless. At this rate, it sounds like the petrol engine will be fired up 99% of the time.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 10:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

Is this a typo error? 3km is useless. At this rate, it sounds like the petrol engine will be fired up 99% of the time.
Not necessarily because with each braking the car gets charged and with each ride down the incline, it charges as well. It just takes a 1 km downhill journey to fully charge the battery.

And the result is very evident - mileage of 18.4 kmpl for a 115 Nm Petrol engine + 400 Nm electric engine working in sync.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 10:51   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice review there anekho. Thanks for sharing with us. Its great to know that the battery lasts long. How does the Prius fare in the cold winters?

I have taken a ride in a Prius taxi once and its spooking quiet and the torque is really felt and its immense. Much like an electric locomotive.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 13:10   #36
Senior - BHPian

Thank you guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Thanks for sharing information on Prius. You mentioned that you have not faced any issue. Does that mean the car is still on the OEM batteries? I hear Reva needs a battery pack change once every 3-5years.
Yep, still on the original battery pack - and I don't think it'll need changing anytime soon!

The REVA being fully electric, strains the battery a lot more. Also considering the cost and packaging limitations there probably was a quality compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Could you also share the cost of servicing over the last 1,40,000 kms.
The services are seperated by 15,000 km intervals and alternate through small and large services. Small services cost ~1500 SEK (~12,600 INR) and large services cost ~4000 SEK (33,600 INR). The prices mentioned include consumables, tax etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajusherief View Post
You mentioned mostly the prius is battery maneuvered under 50kmph, is there any exact cut off speed or is it load based ? I read long back that the prius always stays in battery mode until 30kmph - what is the fact ?
The system is load based so it attempts to be mostly electric whenever possible - typically at speeds below 50 km/h! There is no fixed speed at which it remains purely electric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
Let me know in which Indian city are you put up, will arrange for a test drive there. Be mentally prepared that once the order is placed, it takes approx 4 months for the delivery.
Thanks Andy, will get back to you when things firm up! Out of curiousity, what are the service intervals and costs like for the Prius in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanedar View Post
I bought 2008 prius one year back with 73K miles on the ODO. In last one year I have driven 15K miles and the ODO now reads 88K which translates to roughly 142000 kms.

The prius still drives like new just a little rattles in the dashboard.
Nice to have a fellow Prius owner on board! Incidentally both our cars seem to have done almost the same number of kilometers! We had a brief stint with a dashboard rattle at higher speeds but it subsided on it's own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Well the Prius is a hybrid so expecting strong performance on pure EV mode or pure Petrol mode isn't fair. The beauty of the system is how the two work together, complementing each other. A car needs most torque to get moving at lower speeds or when trying to accelerate - and this is what the electric motor offers. The petrol engine acts as a "filler" for all other situations. Net result? Fuel saved (as amalji mentions). Especially when driven in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Nice review there anekho. Thanks for sharing with us. Its great to know that the battery lasts long. How does the Prius fare in the cold winters?
Surprisingly well! We've driven through snow, ice and really cold weather (-20 įC) and it's been really good. The key with driving the Prius in the winter is being easy on acceleration, as the electric motor likes to put down a lot of torque and you end up losing traction!
anekho is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 19:59   #37
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: The Much Loved, Ever Hated Toyota Prius - 140,000 kms!

On the 2013 Prius, I found an interesting feature -

Vehicle Proximity Notification System
- When Prius is traveling below 15 mph and running on electric power only, itís often too quiet for people to hear. So VPNS emits an undulating mechanical sound to alert pedestrians and bicyclists of your presence.

Is your car equipped with such a feature ? If so, what kind of sound does it emit ?
And is it a continuous sound or it sounds only when it detects pedestrians ( possible since, it's already equipped with a dynamic radar for cruise control )

A couple of features that I found very interesting -

Solar roof
If you want to stay cool, park in the sun. The available Solar Roof is embedded with solar panels that can power a fan to circulate ambient air through the cabin when Prius is parked in direct sunlight. This feature helps keep cabin air temperature close to that of the outside air for a more comfortable return to the vehicle.

Remote air conditioning system
Part of the Solar Roof and Deluxe Solar Roof packages, Remote Air Conditioning can cool the cabin of Prius before you get in by activating the electric air conditioning compressor. Using your key fob, you can turn the air conditioning system on from up to 30 yards away, and run it on hybrid system battery power for up to three minutes.
amalji is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 15:46   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
On the 2013 Prius, I found an interesting feature -

Vehicle Proximity Notification System
- When Prius is traveling below 15 mph and running on electric power only, itís often too quiet for people to hear. So VPNS emits an undulating mechanical sound to alert pedestrians and bicyclists of your presence.

Is your car equipped with such a feature ? If so, what kind of sound does it emit ?
No, our Prius doesn't have this - I think only the 3rd generation Prii* come with it. Lucky, because it sounds terrible! Never really been in a situation where a pedestrian hasn't been aware of our car's presence.

The Solar Panel roof is a very cool option on the 3rd generation Prius. A must-have if you live in a place with mostly hot climate!

*Trivia: 1 Prius, Several Prii (Recently learned that Prii is the official plural form of Prius )!
anekho is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 17:20   #39
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE

Earlier this week we received a letter informing us that our Prius may have a component in it's steering assembly that doesn't perform up to Toyota's stringent quality levels.

It was advised that we bring in our car as soon as possible to have this checked and replaced, as soon as possible. Of course, it would be free of cost. This essentially, was a recall.

So today, a beautiful Saturday morning, we headed out to our local Toyota Center. The car was dropped off at 11:00 and one hour of coffee sipping later we were informed that the work was done. The component had been replaced. And that was it. Quick, painless, free.

The car felt perfectly fine before and continues to feel so now - there is no noticeable difference in steering feel (or rather, the lack of it!). Apparently not changing this component could lead to the potential development of a knocking sound when turning.

There has been a lot of negative attention about recalls like these and I don't really see why. If anything, I'm pleased that the car-maker are taking the initiative (at their expense) to ensure that customers are pleased with their products, even after the warranty period has lapsed. Good stuff!
anekho is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 00:52   #40
BHPian

Hi Anekho. Thank for the (only) review of the Prius.
There is one pre-owned 2010 Prius in Mumbai. How is it own one in India?
Is it worth at 14.85 lacs??
musclecar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 00:11   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecar View Post
Hi Anekho. Thank for the (only) review of the Prius.
There is one pre-owned 2010 Prius in Mumbai. How is it own one in India?
Is it worth at 14.85 lacs??
Never driven one in India, but going by it's characteristics I'd say it is a very suitable car for Indian conditions!

The price quoted seems fair given a new one would set you back by ~30L. That said being a CBU and not overly popular in India I'm sure you can shave a lakh or two before closing in on the deal! It would definitely offer you a unique ownership experience at that price point over other alternatives.
Old 4th April 2013, 00:19   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Hybrids really thrive in stop & go traffic and so it would take Indian conditions like a fish to water.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2013, 03:13   #43
Senior - BHPian

Winter makes cars dirty. Real dirty.

The Much Loved, Ever Hated Toyota Prius - 140,000 kms!-grime1_small.jpg
The dim garage lighting isn't helping either.

No seriously.

The Much Loved, Ever Hated Toyota Prius - 140,000 kms!-grime2_small.jpg
So. Much. Grime.

Ice cold weather, slush, snow and rain really take a toll on a car's appearance. With the forecast promising the first bout of spring, it was time to get dirty... and... err... clean. So we did.

The Much Loved, Ever Hated Toyota Prius - 140,000 kms!-grimeclean_small.jpg
Sun-kissed and ready for spring.

Oh and next week summer tires come on!
Old 7th April 2013, 06:05   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Attachment 1062538

Itís a pity the Prius has become a haters favourite. It is a good, honest car that delivers on itís promises. As someone who used to be a skeptic, Iím truly glad we own one.

Super stuff. I'm one of the anti prius people . However, I loved your writeup. People often talk about the negatives of the Prius, and petrolheads hate it quite a bit. You have written an unbiased opinion - calling out the negatives while praising the positives. I have driven a Prius a couple of times, rented. Most of the times you rent are when you have a long distance drive, and then the prius's negatives show up - the highway negatives you have pointed out. Numb steering and floaty feeling at speed are the sore points of the prius, with of course painful progress on steep uphill highway sections when everyone else is zipping along at 70 - 80 mph! But other than that, it is hugely practical, supremely fuel efficient albeit a little quirky inside.

On another note, how has the battery held up for you? Battery performance in colder climes is not as best as southern California (probably the largest market for the Prius, in the world!)
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 13:13   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Super stuff. I'm one of the anti prius people . However, I loved your writeup.

On another note, how has the battery held up for you? Battery performance in colder climes is not as best as southern California (probably the largest market for the Prius, in the world!)
Thank you!

The batteries are fine. While batteries are known to perform worse in cold weather, the Prius has held up well and performance has been consistent! I haven't heard of many Prius battery change stories here in Sweden so I think we're good.

The 12V battery has also performed well. Never had any car-does-not-start frights on a winter morning!
anekho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote