Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 26th September 2013, 19:32   #31
BHPian

Default re: Maruti Alto LXi @ 52,000 kms

My Alto's drive has gone back to the bad, and its only about 2 months since the service. I don't know whether the ultra-smooth Bangalore roads aided this. But now, i don't even feel like taking the car out. Its become very rough and noisy inside. I really wonder whether any tweaking of the tyres/suspension will get this fixed. My mind tells me to go for a tire change.
aneezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2013, 01:37   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
I really wonder whether any tweaking of the tyres/suspension will get this fixed. My mind tells me to go for a tire change.
If it is that bad change the tyres and check the suspension to while you are it. No harm in being pro-active right?! Keep an eye on the wheel bearings too.

By the way can you explain what actually is happening that you are so irritated? If you can give a clear picture may be we can help.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 15:53   #33
BHPian

Hey Anurag, Thanks.
Have been out of town for some time.
Yes, the ride has become irritating. Even the smallest road bumps, gravel, loose stones shake the car violently. The steering wheel also vibrates when the car goes over bad roads. The noise becomes very loud.
Before I go for a tyre change, I am just trying to see whether any other options are there?
The car is due for a service in about a month's time. Almost touching 44,000 kms.

PS: We had been deliberating on a new car for quite some time now, however, another huge expenditure is looming in the near future, and we don't want to plonk the money in a car right now. Hence, we decided to keep the Alto for a further 2 years. So, it requires some freshening up. The tire upgrade will likely be along with new alloys as well.
Advice on both will help.
Old 10th October 2013, 12:03   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Even my Alto was in same condition at 40k kms. Servicing did not male much difference though.
Since tyre was nearing its life cycle and I had few long trips planned changed the tyres from Madhus. Drive has become much better now. Crossing over to 42k kms now.
mpksuhas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 19:35   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The tire upgrade will likely be along with new alloys as well. Advice on both will help.
For Alto's tyres - 145/80 R 12. These are your choices when I checked out Michelin, Yokohama and Bridgestone.

1) Michelin - Energy XM2,
2) Yokohama - Not available in this size
3) Bridgestone - Turanza ER 60.

My suggestion are:

Go for the XM2 as it is better and would be silent when compared to the Bridgestone but the downside is due to softer compound rubber the life is slightly low when compared to the ER 60. The ER 60 has a harder compound so the life these would give would be longer and ride would be stiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I had few long trips planned changed the tyres from Madhus. Drive has become much better now. Crossing over to 42k kms now.
Which tyre did you go your car? Price?

Did you upsize or stock section?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 20:06   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Which tyre did you go your car? Price?
Did you upsize or stock section?
My first choice was Bridgestone, however madhus was not having stock of same.
Since there were positive reviews on XM2 selected those.
4 tyres + valves + alignment + weights costed rs 12100.
I opted for stock size.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 21:29   #37
BHPian

Quote:
My first choice was Bridgestone, however madhus was not having stock of same.
Since there were positive reviews on XM2 selected those.
I opted for stock size.
Hey mpksuhas,
Where is madhus?
Old 10th October 2013, 21:35   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Where is madhus?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...bangalore.html (Wheel Alignment/Balancing : Madhus Enterprises (Langford rd, Bangalore))
Old 11th October 2013, 10:32   #39
BHPian

Quote:
I opted for stock size.
Price doesn't seem bad at all. Did you trade-in your existing tires?
Has the noise also reduced after the change?
Old 11th October 2013, 11:02   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Price doesn't seem bad at all. Did you trade-in your existing tires?
Has the noise also reduced after the change?
Yes, I guess Bridgestones will be costlier by around Rs 200 or so. Since they were not having stock then was not able to check, but that was what I was able to make out by checking price online.

Yes noise has disappeared after that. Though I made out part of earlier noise was due to caliper pin being loose when I was able to pin-point after Tyre noise decreased.
mpksuhas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 17:55   #41
BHPian

Any idea what this indicator means? I started the car today morning and this didn't go off. Does it mean something alarming? I didn't have the chance to go to check this today, but i called the Maruti service station and was told to bring the car for a check-up. I believe its to do with a sensor, but am not sure.
Maruti Alto LXi @ 52,000 kms-sensor.jpg
Old 17th October 2013, 17:59   #42
Team-BHP Support

That is the Engine Check Light.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ine-light.html (Check Engine Light)

Since its a Maruti, I would not drive the car without having it checked out. It is very rare for a Maruti to throw such an error.

Just to test, you may want to disconnect the battery for at least 20 mins. Then reconnect and see if the light comes up. This would reset the ECU and hopefully its just a rare s/w glitch.

If after this exercise the light comes up. Go straight to the service station.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 18:10   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Is your car running fine ? If so do check cables under hood before starting. Since your car has not done much KM's there is a good chance of rat attack.
Old 17th October 2013, 18:36   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
That is the Engine Check Light.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ine-light.html (Check Engine Light)

Since its a Maruti, I would not drive the car without having it checked out. It is very rare for a Maruti to throw such an error.

Just to test, you may want to disconnect the battery for at least 20 mins. Then reconnect and see if the light comes up. This would reset the ECU and hopefully its just a rare s/w glitch.

If after this exercise the light comes up. Go straight to the service station.
Thanks a lot. I was quite taken aback when this refused to go out. I tried switching on and off a number of times, but it still remained. The trip to and from office was un-eventful otherwise. Will take the car for a check-up tomorrow.

Quote:
Is your car running fine ? If so do check cables under hood before starting. Since your car has not done much KM's there is a good chance of rat attack.
The car itself is running fine(other than the suspension/noise issues quoted earlier in the thread). No drop in performance or anything noticeable
Old 17th October 2013, 18:43   #45
BHPian

Its a common error code for a variety of reasons. Typical cases like engine oil level, coolant level, fuel injector issues etc. Sometimes it can be a false alarm too, but uncommon in Maruti case.

I would advise to take it to a trusted adviser and get it verified. May be the rough ride you were experiencing had something to do with this.
I have seen similar casewith my cousin's 3 yr old car car. The light turned on/off for 3 days and finally staying on after 3 days. There was considerable change in driving experience too.
The car's ECU stores all past and current faults in memory. Once connected, the OBD device pin points the faulty component. After half a day of analysis MASS engineers zeroed down on injector issue. Did a injector cleaning and no issues after that since last one year.

I would advise not to ignore it and take it to MASS ASAP.
Ohh!Oxygen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote