Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 12th March 2014, 13:26   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Alto LXi @ 50,000 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post

Michelin 145/80R12 74T TL - Energy XM2(4) - 2,799.10 each - 11, 196.40
I think it to be a nice deal. If I remember correctly, I paid 2800 bucks per tyre for Michelin XM1+ in 2010
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 10:27   #62
BHPian

Default re: Maruti Alto LXi @ 52,000 kms

Thought of reviving my thread for a quick update.
I have been abroad for some time, so the car hasn't gathered a lot of miles. It has just ticked over 51,000km.
Two negatives over the past 3 month period:-

- A nice dent at the rear caused by a reversing cab while I was waiting in traffic. Out of nowhere, I heard a loud clang. This is the result.
Maruti Alto LXi @ 52,000 kms-wp_20140414_001.jpg
Maruti Alto LXi @ 52,000 kms-wp_20140414_004.jpg

I still haven't repaired this. It costs about Rs.4000 to set it right completely.

- The vibrations have increased again, inspite of the newer set of tires. It doesn't look like its the steering wheel as well. But something below that. I have to get a thorough check done.
aneezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 10:37   #63
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I still haven't repaired this. It costs about Rs.4000 to set it right completely.
Why don't you take this to Trend Automobiles for a painless dent repair? From what i've read on the thread in the Bangalore directory here on this forum, they are really good and will remove this completely.
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 11:04   #64
BHPian

Of late, I am having a peculiar problem - My wife learned to drive.
Since then, she wants the car to herself almost always other than when I have to go somewhere alone, and that's very rare.

Now, since space is at a premium in the Alto, I find myself UN-comfortable almost everywhere other than the driver's seat which itself is pushed back to the limit while I am driving. My height-6'2"(and girth) don't help either.

- I cannot sit comfortably in the front passenger seat. My knees keep dashing the glove box cover. I have always hated sitting there.
- I have my son 3.5 year old son sitting at the rear left in a child seat, which occupies a lot of space and he wants the front passenger seat pushed to the extreme front for leg space.
- My wife wants my son on the rear left(not right) when driving, because she feels she can monitor him better when he's there on the corner of RVM.
- The only place I have is the rear left and its not a very comfortable place to be in(in an Alto).

This has made us(read "me") think of getting a bigger car quickly. We are currently working out the permutations and combinations towards making this decision. Hopefully, something works out good.

The car has currently run 51,500 km.

Last edited by aneezan : 11th June 2014 at 11:06.
Old 11th June 2014, 11:32   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

This has made us(read "me") think of getting a bigger car quickly. We are currently working out the permutations and combinations towards making this decision. Hopefully, something works out good.

The car has currently run 51,500 km.
I suggest WagonR or Ertiga.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2014, 10:48   #66
BHPian

I took a short test drive of the Ertiga yesterday evening at Bimal, Varthur road, Whitefield.

Some impressions, both positive & negative:-
+ Big car, airy and spacious
+ Though I dislike the beige, it gives a "bigger than actual" feel
+ 1.3 felt powerful. Infact, a little more than Swift.
+ The gear shift, felt pretty slick(not as good as Polo)
+ Felt planted over the pot-holed roads. I couldn't get a chance to go all out, but the comfort was good. No bumpiness at moderate speeds. Was told it would only get better as the speed increases
+ Short turning radius. A narrow U-turn was easy without reversing
+ Space at the rear(with 3rd row seats up) was exemplary. Things turn a bit sour when I put the seats down.
+ Luggage space with 3rd row down. Made wifey very happy. Now the house can be brought in.
+ Seating position was a big plus. After years of being cramped in the Alto, this was a big relief.

- Apart from the heavy doors, the rest of the car still had the tinny Maruti feel
- I felt the 2nd row seat wasn't as wide as a Polo(maybe just my feeling)
- The beige will get really dirty. The test drive car's steering wasn't the cleanest.
- The 3rd row should have been thrown out completely. We wouldn't drive with it up. But this deprives the 2nd row of some space, especially with me sitting there.
- The showroom experience was not in the least good. They had a "what do I care" attitude.

I will have to take a more extensive test drive next time.
Old 19th June 2014, 05:55   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I took a short test drive of the Ertiga yesterday evening at Bimal, Varthur road, Whitefield.
You can also check our Honda Mobilo which will be launching soon.
Any specific reason to compare Ertiga Vs Polo?
arun_josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2014, 08:53   #68
BHPian

Nothing specific, but just because other than the Alto, its the only car I have spent quite some time on. I felt the rear seats were very wide and could comfortably sit 3 adults, without minding the hump in the middle and the overall lack of leg room. I am just talking about the width.
Old 19th June 2014, 09:05   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing specific, but just because other than the Alto, its the only car I have spent quite some time on. I am just talking about the width.
I thought the Polo was criticised for low space and cramped rear. Isn't it?

Just a doubt. No offence

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2014, 10:23   #70
BHPian

I just completed 70000 k.m on my 3 year old alto , no major issues till now . Changed the oe set of tyres . Mileage in city is 13 to 14 per liter with a/c . never use it for long drives so not sure how much the mileage is on highways. A great no problem car.

Last edited by desigNation : 19th June 2014 at 10:50.
desigNation is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2014, 12:18   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desigNation View Post
I just completed 70000 k.m on my 3 year old alto , no major issues till now . Changed the oe set of tyres . Mileage in city is 13 to 14 per liter with a/c . never use it for long drives so not sure how much the mileage is on highways. A great no problem car.
70000km in 3 years! That is a lot of miles. Great going.
My only reason for looking out is because of the long drives. That is the only hitch I have against my Alto. Otherwise, it has no other problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I thought the Polo was criticised for low space and cramped rear. Isn't it?

Just a doubt. No offence

Anurag.
Yes Anurag. And I align with that. It has very low leg room.
My point was that the car/rear seat was wider.
None taken

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th June 2014 at 12:31. Reason: Reformating
Old 1st July 2014, 15:29   #72
BHPian

With a new car booked and the delivery by end of the week, we had to look for options for what to do with the Alto. Some decisions had to be taken and finally we made up up our minds on not selling it.

It will begin a new innings at my home town serving duty for my dad, who wants a small car. Due to his health problems, it is difficult for him to tug the Indica V2 he currently has(but rarely drives). The Alto will be just the car for him because of its light and nimble drive.
I will be driving it home towards the end of July.

The best part of all this is that we will still have the car and I can take it out for a spin whenever we go home.
Old 18th August 2014, 12:51   #73
BHPian

Update: The Alto had been lying without use for about 2 weeks. I cranked it up over the weekend and it was dead. The batteries were completely drained. I had them recharged by the local mechanic. His parting advice was to start her up at-least once every 2 days.

Have now decided to sell the car, than having it sit at the basement. A thorough service and check-up is due this month, post which will put up the car for sale.
Old 3rd September 2014, 20:31   #74
BHPian

Last few pics of my Alto before sale. Loved the car dearly for all its shortcomings. I didn't know when I bought it 5 years ago that it would spend a lot of time on the highways. Clearly, this car is not meant for that. But it has been putting up a fight through whatever I have thrown at it. Not a single break-down ever!
I feel sad parting with it, and sincerely hope the new owner keeps it in good shape.

Maruti Alto LXi @ 52,000 kms-image1.jpeg
Maruti Alto LXi @ 52,000 kms-image2.jpeg
Maruti Alto LXi @ 52,000 kms-image5.jpeg
aneezan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 22:23   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I feel sad parting with it, and sincerely hope the new owner keeps it in good shape.
This is the same worry every BHPian has when he parts with his piece of heart. I am also in the same state but here it is my bike - Karizma R.

Sorry if I have missed, what is the odometer of the Alto?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote