Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2013, 14:14   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,349 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The car is almost at 19,000 kms now, been taken a lot to Lonavla and Pune. Have e. The stock tyres really are terrible, but I'm terrible confused as to what to change to. In the stock size there aren't many options, in 215/65 R16 there are Michelin Latitude Tour HPs, any reviews on those guys? Thought of 225/60 R16 too but again few options. I need something which is a comfortable tyre but yet can take bad roads.
Write to Behemoth. He has just put on some Bridgestones. They should be a good bet.
Even my Yeti has hit 19700 in two years. Planning to have its second service done in the third week of this month. Tyres have a lot of life left in them but maybe I will use them for one more year and then chuck them. I am hardly driving more than 800 kms per month and only inside the city nowadays and do not see my usage going further up in the immediate future.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 14:40   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,210
Thanked: 1,687 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The car is almost at 19,000 kms now, been taken a lot to Lonavla and Pune. Have fixed up a service for the coming weekend, its been about 12.5k kms from the last service, I'd prefer not to wait till 15k kms. No issues with the car at all, besides the door seals squeeking. Lets see if the service centre has some solution this time.

The stock tyres really are terrible, but I'm terrible confused as to what to change to. In the stock size there aren't many options, in 215/65 R16 there are Michelin Latitude Tour HPs, any reviews on those guys? Thought of 225/60 R16 too but again few options. I need something which is a comfortable tyre but yet can take bad roads.

Oh yeah, also added a Philips 4200k HID kit to the headlights. It is well focused and does not stray and blind oncoming traffic, unless it is viewed from angles where even the stock bulbs would shine into your face. The illumination is brilliant, and this was the first thing I should have got done. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get rid of the bulb fused error which comes due to the HIDs. I'm still working on that, but I'd rather live with that and have much better lights.
Hi Akshay
Good to see your updates! The Hid kits are a welcome addition and you have made a good choice. 4200k is the right colour temperature for good light and visibility is best. The bulb fused error is due to the wattage being 35w for Hid instead of the stock 55w/60w. Actually Philips also has variants which are Canbus compatible and dont give this error, but they are not easily available in India. The Canbus compatible ones wont give the error, the normal ones will give an error but apart from that they will not cause any issue. There is an addon resistance available which can fix the error by drawing the balance current to match the original H4.
On the tyres Yokos and Michelins are quite soft and given the rough use on broken roads that my Yeti goes through, I went for 2 Bridgestones Er370 when one of my Yoko sidewalls tore. The Bridgestones are quite quiet and the ride quality is much better than the original Goodyears. When making a change to better tyres, measure the sound level at a speed of 80kmph (using an app like Smart tools) in the cabin before and after the change, you will find a huge difference.
I went for the Bridgestones which are India made as they are stronger and should survive longer.
Regards
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 4th November 2013 at 14:53.
Behemoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 14:52   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 1,011
Thanked: 670 Times
Default re: 4x4 Power, My Skoda Yeti Elegance. UPDATE: 63k kms up on page 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Oh yeah, also added a Philips 4200k HID kit to the headlights. It is well focused and does not stray and blind oncoming traffic, unless it is viewed from angles where even the stock bulbs would shine into your face. The illumination is brilliant, and this was the first thing I should have got done. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get rid of the bulb fused error which comes due to the HIDs. I'm still working on that, but I'd rather live with that and have much better lights.
Hi Akshay,

You should only install CANBUS compatible HID kits. Other kits would result in damages to the electric/electronic circuitry, starting with Wiper motor, washers, stalk or even your BCM module!

Please have this unit removed immediately to avoid any further damage.

I'm sure the installation team must have snipped your wires as well.
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 15:21   #49
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Patna
Posts: 201
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Hi Akshay, You should only install CANBUS compatible HID kits. Other kits would result in damages to the electric/electronic circuitry, starting with Wiper motor, washers, stalk or even your BCM module! Please have this unit removed immediately to avoid any further damage. I'm sure the installation team must have snipped your wires as well.
Do you have details of CANBUS. compatible HID kits? Better lights would certainly be welcome? If it's Skoda approved then there will be no warranty issues .
Carcrazy60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 15:59   #50
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,855
Thanked: 7,238 Times
Default re: 4x4 Power, My Skoda Yeti Elegance. UPDATE: 63k kms up on page 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Write to Behemoth. He has just put on some Bridgestones. They should be a good bet.
Even my Yeti has hit 19700 in two years. Planning to have its second service done in the third week of this month. Tyres have a lot of life left in them but maybe I will use them for one more year and then chuck them. I am hardly driving more than 800 kms per month and only inside the city nowadays and do not see my usage going further up in the immediate future.
Our usage seems to be a lot more than we had anticipated. This car seems quite robust so we don't hesitate to take it even on bad roads, and the car is still tight as ever unlike a Japanese car which would come back with a few rattles. The Goodyears are the only thing now spoiling the experience for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Akshay
Good to see your updates! The Hid kits are a welcome addition and you have made a good choice. 4200k is the right colour temperature for good light and visibility is best. The bulb fused error is due to the wattage being 35w for Hid instead of the stock 55w/60w. Actually Philips also has variants which are Canbus compatible and dont give this error, but they are not easily available in India. The Canbus compatible ones wont give the error, the normal ones will give an error but apart from that they will not cause any issue. There is an addon resistance available which can fix the error by drawing the balance current to match the original H4.
On the tyres Yokos and Michelins are quite soft and given the rough use on broken roads that my Yeti goes through, I went for 2 Bridgestones Er370 when one of my Yoko sidewalls tore. The Bridgestones are quite quiet and the ride quality is much better than the original Goodyears. When making a change to better tyres, measure the sound level at a speed of 80kmph (using an app like Smart tools) in the cabin before and after the change, you will find a huge difference.
I went for the Bridgestones which are India made as they are stronger and should survive longer.
Regards
Behemoth
Hello, yes I specifically asked for this colour temp. I have no use it showing blueish light to other people, I just wanted the road to be illuminated well and I believe I have achieved that.

I actually have can-bus compliant lights, getting non can bus compliant is more difficult nowadays lol. Don't want to add more resistors since I have read they may cause some of the problems nitin has listed below. Have also coded the car for xenons, which was supposed to take the light away. But will need to figure this out, planning on doing it when I have some time. BTW any idea if it is possible to take power for the HID kits from the stock harness, and not from the battery? I think that may solve the open circuit that is causing the error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Hi Akshay,

You should only install CANBUS compatible HID kits. Other kits would result in damages to the electric/electronic circuitry, starting with Wiper motor, washers, stalk or even your BCM module!

Please have this unit removed immediately to avoid any further damage.

I'm sure the installation team must have snipped your wires as well.
Hi nitin, read my reply to behemoth above. I've done a bit of research on HIDs in these Skoda cars and I am in the process of finding a solution to the bulb error.

No wires were snipped, this is an HID retrofit kit which plugs into the stock harness.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 22:00   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 1,011
Thanked: 670 Times
Default re: 4x4 Power, My Skoda Yeti Elegance. UPDATE: 63k kms up on page 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Hi nitin, read my reply to behemoth above. I've done a bit of research on HIDs in these Skoda cars and I am in the process of finding a solution to the bulb error.

No wires were snipped, this is an HID retrofit kit which plugs into the stock harness.
The error should not have occurred if this was a genuine CANBUS kit, as you mention you've coded accordingly. I guess you should consider getting it replaced. Which brand have you purchased? Philips/Osram are the best but as you rightly mentioned, quite difficult to get. You may consider Hylux, which is pretty okay.

Last edited by nitinbose : 4th November 2013 at 22:03.
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 17:01   #52
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cochin
Posts: 78
Thanked: 51 Times
Default

canbus kit, it's full hid kit? Can someone please tell what it would cost? I want an upgrade badly, I know I will finally do the full kit by vagtune but if this is affordable, can be used as a temporary solution.
milu2fast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 17:45   #53
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,855
Thanked: 7,238 Times
Default re: 4x4 Power, My Skoda Yeti Elegance. UPDATE: 63k kms up on page 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
The error should not have occurred if this was a genuine CANBUS kit, as you mention you've coded accordingly. I guess you should consider getting it replaced. Which brand have you purchased? Philips/Osram are the best but as you rightly mentioned, quite difficult to get. You may consider Hylux, which is pretty okay.
Umm its a Philips product, which came in a Philips box, and a Philips warranty card. If that is not genuine what is?

Apparently the same kits are being used on Lauras and Superbs with no issue, and my installer was surprised with the fact that this happened with the Yeti.

Like I said nitin, I've done my research, and changing the kit isn't going to help. I cannot pay 1.2l for the OEM xenons (anyway Skoda xenons are not anything great). I need to figure out if there is some wiring problem, or to just code out the bulb checking completely.

milu2fast - It cost me 10k for the kit. If you can get the OEM xenons, but I am trying to find a solution to the bulb error in the mean while.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 18:16   #54
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cochin
Posts: 78
Thanked: 51 Times
Default

milu2fast - It cost me 10k for the kit. If you can get the OEM xenons, but I am trying to find a solution to the bulb error in the mean while.[/quote]

Glued to this now, I wish you solve the bulb error asap so that I can do the same. OEM setup is 1.2l with the cornering bi xenon, did you mean this by OEM??
milu2fast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 18:23   #55
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,855
Thanked: 7,238 Times
Default re: 4x4 Power, My Skoda Yeti Elegance. UPDATE: 63k kms up on page 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by milu2fast View Post

Glued to this now, I wish you solve the bulb error asap so that I can do the same. OEM setup is 1.2l with the cornering bi xenon, did you mean this by OEM??
Yes I did mean that by oem xenons. The cornering function is great, but at 1/10th the price I could do without it lol.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 19:19   #56
BHPian
 
vinj14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 305
Thanked: 259 Times
Default re: 4x4 Power, My Skoda Yeti Elegance. UPDATE: 63k kms up on page 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

Oh yeah, also added a Philips 4200k HID kit to the headlights. It is well focused and does not stray and blind oncoming traffic, unless it is viewed from angles where even the stock bulbs would shine into your face. The illumination is brilliant, and this was the first thing I should have got done. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get rid of the bulb fused error which comes due to the HIDs. I'm still working on that, but I'd rather live with that and have much better lights.
Hey my friend did something similar to his laura. I activated the xenons installed options in the central electronics and he got no errors. Try it and let me know.
vinj14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 19:25   #57
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,855
Thanked: 7,238 Times
Default re: 4x4 Power, My Skoda Yeti Elegance. UPDATE: 63k kms up on page 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
Hey my friend did something similar to his laura. I activated the xenons installed options in the central electronics and he got no errors. Try it and let me know.
Already tried bro. Activated xenons, and another 1-2 options related to xenons.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 19:32   #58
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 1,011
Thanked: 670 Times
Default re: 4x4 Power, My Skoda Yeti Elegance. UPDATE: 63k kms up on page 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

Like I said nitin, I've done my research, and changing the kit isn't going to help. I cannot pay 1.2l for the OEM xenons (anyway Skoda xenons are not anything great). I need to figure out if there is some wiring problem, or to just code out the bulb checking completely.
Which is why am saying it could be some issue with the kit - just a thought. If you can check with another kit, you can rule out the possibility. If you could get your hands on VCDs, you may be able to get the exact reason for this error and also whether its for both or a single side. Also, please note Philips Xenon kits are in reality Hylux kits from China. I'm using the same.

The Skoda Xenon Kit @ 1.2L includes the entire assembly, sensors for the suspensions and wiring kits. It would give you the AFS feature, high beam assist etc., hence the cost.

Last edited by nitinbose : 5th November 2013 at 19:33.
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 19:35   #59
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,855
Thanked: 7,238 Times
Default re: 4x4 Power, My Skoda Yeti Elegance. UPDATE: 63k kms up on page 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Which is why am saying it could be some issue with the kit - just a thought. If you can check with another kit, you can rule out the possibility. If you could get your hands on VCDs, you may be able to get the exact reason for this error and also whether its for both or a single side.

The Skoda Xenon Kit @ 1.2L includes the entire assembly, sensors for the suspensions and wiring kits. It would give you the AFS feature, high beam assist etc., hence the cost.
If you go through my thread you will see that I faced the same problem with another kit a few months ago which I removed. I have VCDS with me and it says open circuit.

I understand why the Skoda kit is that much, but the fact is I cannot spend that much on just headlights. I have OEM xenons on the vRS and they are nothing great IMO even with the cornering feature. The ones on my BMW are far brighter.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 19:35   #60
BHPian
 
vinj14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 305
Thanked: 259 Times
Default re: 4x4 Power, My Skoda Yeti Elegance. UPDATE: 63k kms up on page 6

Oops. PM me know if you need a bluetooth kit. I recently installed the 9wz premium one in my laura and its awesome. Even displays and reads out messages. Got an extra one

You should also go for the auto light switch. Think the yeti elegance has all the necessary wiring. Its just a matter of replacing the switch and some coding changes.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...egance-12.html
vinj14 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Skoda Yeti - DIYs, OE Upgrades & Custom Mods. UPDATE: Park Assist video on Page 8 ajaypjayaraj DIY - Do it yourself 188 4th February 2018 17:01
The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14 SushilBajpai Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 281 8th December 2016 16:08
My 2012 Skoda Yeti 4x4 Elegance iTNerd Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 77 11th September 2015 00:24
2013 Skoda Yeti Elegance 4x4 milu2fast Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 56 4th April 2015 11:48


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:24.

Copyright 2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks