Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 9th December 2013, 17:03   #61
Team-BHP Support

Default re: 4x4 Power, My Skoda Yeti Elegance. UPDATE: 63k kms up on page 6

The Yeti is now past 21k kms, and its been a joy to own this car. It takes whatever is thrown at it with ease. Its time for the second service, and the car is scheduled to go in day after tomorrow.

Nothing much to be seen besides the regular service. The alignment is pretty badly off, so need to get that done. Also there is a vibration sound from the front LH door at certain rpms, will get that checked.

And was also finding out about the VW507 engine oil which the Yeti is meant to sip on. Have asked them to confirm if they have it, or otherwise order it before I send the car.

Besides this the time is soon coming to change the tyres. I am going for a profile upsize, and will get 215/65 R16. I think the tyres will be either Michelin Latitude Tour HP or Pirelli Scorpion STRs.

I will post more about the ownership till date, after I get the car back from the service.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2013, 13:10   #62
Team-BHP Support

Got the car back from the second service, the total bill came to a bit above 13k.

I had spoken to them about the VW507 oil, and they finally said they would need to order it from Skoda. Since my car was overdue for a service I decided to let it be this time, and the service people assured me the oil they had was Skoda approved.

Overall it was a good experience, with everything I had asked for done properly. I was charged for VAS scanning and for washing, which they said they could not remove from the bill amount and charged everyone. This pissed me off a bit but I decided to let it go. No point in causing a ruckus over such a small thing, especially considering the good service they have given me.

The Yeti has crossed 21k kms, a fair amount of usage considering the Punto it replaced had crossed about 27k in 3 years. It has become everyones favourite car to be taken to places like Lonavla almost every weekend. I still prefer one of the sedans, though no denying driving this is stress free since I don't have to watch out for potholes.

Its been absolutely reliable *touch wood* and no given me a single issue till date. The engine continues to impress me with its negligible turbo lag and almost instant power from lower rpms. In fact sometimes the gear shift indicator asks me to upshift at speeds which I think will lug the car, but hell it pulls smoothly. Mileage has been as high as 22kmpl on the MID when driven by my father to Pune and back. Though with my driving it gives me around 16 on highways and 11 in the city, which I think is totally acceptable.

Complete traction on any surface thanks to the Haldex is great, and launching it in 1st gear to feel the push never gets old. Its proved its worth especially on some trails, where it has taken any surface with ease.

The suspension is good, and really starts soaking in the bumps once you pick up a bit of speed. At lower speeds I still do find it stiff, but then I think that will be sorted out with the tyre change. I still think this suspension is a great mix of ride and handling, and even the body roll isn't enough to make anyone feel uncomfortable. It has taken a fait bit of a beating till date, but no signs of any rattles or feeling lose. Yes it had started making a wee bit more noise than earlier, but it seems sorted out after a suspension retorque.

The gadgets are great, and only now do I think I should add bluetooth since we don't take drivers on the longer drives. I think I will add the Dension kit, don't want to spend 20k right now on the OE kit.

Aside from that the HID lights have been great, making it so much nicer to drive at night. The stock lights are utter rubbish compared to this. Also the lights are pretty focused and I haven't been flashed from oncoming traffic even on single lane roads, so I doubt they blind the oncoming traffic like some HID kits do.

In the near future expect a tyre upgrade, since the Goodyears are getting hard now and making a lot of noise. The upgrade will most probably be Michelin Latitude Tour HPs which other BHPians are using happily.

That's all for now, from a very happy Yeti user.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 12th December 2013 at 13:15.
Akshay1234 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2014, 21:11   #63
Team-BHP Support

Tyre Update

I was getting really tired of the Goodyear Excellence that the car came with. While they were strong, the ride and comfort and noise levels were not good. It was spoiling the full ownership experience of the car. It just made the car feel a lot less premium. I think the rubber had hardened, and either way I don't think Goodyears are anything great.

So yesterday, I went down to the tyre store and selected 215/65 R16 Michelin Latitude Tour HPs. Yes the profile is more than stock, and the overall difference comes to a tad bit more than the 3% limit, but enough people are using this size happily.

Took about 45 mins to change all the tyres, balance and align the car (must mention that Skoda as usual did a horrible job of alignment again, the car was pulling to the left)

First impressions were excellent. The car instead of feeling like it was rolling on the road, felt like it was floating. I mean seriously from those Goodyears to these lovely Michelins its like night and day. Negligible tyre noise on most surfaces. The car just feels now like its a whole lot more expensive. Its always had a nice interior, nice features, good build but was let down by the road noise, the slightly stiff low speed ride, etc - but now none of those issues.

Small bumps which made the suspension thud are no longer heard or felt. Suspension noise is reduced by 50% at least. Too early to tell about the grip because I haven't done more than 50 kms with them. Bigger bumps too are taken much better, and more easily without jarring the occupants.

I daresay it reminded me of the Audi Q3 I drove a few weeks ago (they are pretty much the same car anyway) in terms of suspension damping, and felt like 80% of what the Q5 was like.

So all in all, a must do for Yeti owners. You just have no idea what you are missing out on.
Akshay1234 is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 05:09   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Tyre . It was spoiling the full ownership experience of the car. It just made the car feel a lot less premium. I think the rubber had hardened, and either way I don't think Goodyears are anything great. So yesterday, I went down to the tyre store and selected 215/65 R16 Michelin Latitude Tour HPs. Yes the profile is more than stock, and the overall difference comes to a tad bit more than the 3% limit, but enough people are using this size happily. The car instead of feeling like it was rolling on the road, felt like it was floating. I mean seriously from those Goodyears to these lovely Michelins its like night and day. Negligible tyre noise on most surfaces. The car just feels now like its a whole lot more but was let down by the road noise, the slightly stiff low speed ride, etc - but now none of those issues. Small bumps which made the suspension thud are no longer heard or felt. Suspension noise is reduced by 50% at least. So all in all, a must do for Yeti owners. You just have no idea what you are missing out on.
Good feedback thank you. Will do this tyre change this year! However, I'm considering Bridgestones as they are tougher.
Have you checked about the tyre size vs warranty?
I know the deviation is minor but would like to be absolutely sure before jumping.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 20:49   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Good feedback thank you. Will do this tyre change this year! However, I'm considering Bridgestones as they are tougher.
I know the deviation is minor but would like to be absolutely sure before jumping.
Bridgestone may be a bit tougher, but I am sure it will not make the car feel as premium. You seem to use your car mainly in the city, with a few out of town trips. The Michelin will be just fine for that. If you see my posts in the Yeti tyre upgrade thread, you will see I have selected these only after taking definitive feedback from current users of the tyre.

Either way once you do this it will feel like you have got a new car again.

Warranty for this? My service guys won't say anything to me. I've built a good rapport with them, and I doubt they will even check the tyre size to be honest.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 20:52   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Tyre Update
So yesterday, I went down to the tyre store and selected 215/65 R16 Michelin Latitude Tour HPs.
Good move by opting for Michelins

Plz upload pics now
karan561 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 10:00   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Tyre Update

I was getting really tired of the Goodyear Excellence that the car came with. While they were strong, the ride and comfort and noise levels were not good. It was spoiling the full ownership experience of the car. It just made the car feel a lot less premium. I think the rubber had hardened, and either way I don't think Goodyears are anything great.

So yesterday, I went down to the tyre store and selected 215/65 R16 Michelin Latitude Tour HPs. Yes the profile is more than stock, and the overall difference comes to a tad bit more than the 3% limit, but enough people are using this size happily.

Took about 45 mins to change all the tyres, balance and align the car (must mention that Skoda as usual did a horrible job of alignment again, the car was pulling to the left)

First impressions were excellent. The car instead of feeling like it was rolling on the road, felt like it was floating. I mean seriously from those Goodyears to these lovely Michelins its like night and day. Negligible tyre noise on most surfaces. The car just feels now like its a whole lot more expensive. Its always had a nice interior, nice features, good build but was let down by the road noise, the slightly stiff low speed ride, etc - but now none of those issues.

Small bumps which made the suspension thud are no longer heard or felt. Suspension noise is reduced by 50% at least. Too early to tell about the grip because I haven't done more than 50 kms with them. Bigger bumps too are taken much better, and more easily without jarring the occupants.

I daresay it reminded me of the Audi Q3 I drove a few weeks ago (they are pretty much the same car anyway) in terms of suspension damping, and felt like 80% of what the Q5 was like.

So all in all, a must do for Yeti owners. You just have no idea what you are missing out on.
Congrats for new shoes on your Yeti.
Can you share the price details, also the place where you got them from. Did you get any resale value for old tyres??
sagpatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 10:04   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Bridgestone may be a bit tougher, but I am sure it will not make the car feel as premium. You seem to use your car mainly in the city, with a few out of town trips. The Michelin will be just fine for that.
The Bridgestones which I was shown were the ones which come with Scorpio/Safari pattern. They would be hard and would last long, but as Akshay points, won't have a good ride or as good grip as Goodyear or Michelin.

Now Akshay shall agree as to when I said that the ride has magically improved. Its like a transformation. 52K spent in my case is totally worth it and now, the tires have done over 12k. No complaints. A tire got a cut, but it was a driver/road error as sharp metal of a bridge joint wasn't noticed at night, hence...

The SVC guys didn't say anything as the car went for its 2nd service at 30,000 kms. I personally drove over 850kms on two days i.e doing Purnia - Lucknow - Purnia

Akshay has rightly put -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234
So all in all, a must do for Yeti owners. You just have no idea what you are missing out on
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 10:11   #69
Senior - BHPian

215/65 profile - have the stance of the car changed a bit? what about the GC? I guess you had gain a bit of it
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 00:37   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
215/65 profile - have the stance of the car changed a bit? what about the GC? I guess you had gain a bit of it
Below link should give more technical info. Going by change to 65 profile, GC would increase by 10.75 mm.

Link.
el lobo 6061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 06:59   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
The Bridgestones which I was shown were the ones which come with Scorpio/Safari pattern. They would be hard and would last long, but as Akshay points, won't have a good ride or as good grip as Goodyear or Michelin. Now Akshay shall agree as to when I said that the ride has magically improved. Its like a transformation. 52K spent in my case is totally worth it and now, the tires have done over 12k. No complaints. A tire got a cut, but it was a driver/road error as sharp metal of a bridge joint wasn't noticed at night, hence... The SVC guys didn't say anything as the car went for its 2nd service at 30,000 kms. I personally drove over 850kms on two days i.e doing Purnia - Lucknow - Purnia Akshay has rightly put -
This is precisely my point. I do appreciate the superior comfort and handling and grip of these softer tyre compounds of the Michelins, Pirellis and Yokohamas of the world, but I am most certainly not willing to spend big bucks for that alone. I would do it like a shot, if I had beautiful, predictable, smooth road surfaces to drive on, as would be the case for the most part, if I lived abroad in a developed country or if I lived primarily in the NCR Region of India.

However, I live in Bangalore, a place in this world, which is universally renowned and reviled for its useless broken roads and lousy infrastructure, and my driving is mostly inside the city - I would say 85-90% in the city and only maybe around 10-15% max on highways, because I have pretty much stopped road-tripping even to my normal haunts such as Ooty and Coorg, mostly on account of a severe paucity of time in my life nowadays and the extreme reluctance on my part, to embark on yet another road-warrior battle with the evil, unruly highway traffic that abounds between Bangalore and other parts of the South.

In my scenario as described, it would be far more sensible and economical for me to stick with a proven, tough, durable, long lasting, yet reasonably comfortable tyre. Like I have said somewhere else, I have had experience with the Bridgestone brand in my Old Bolero and Scorpio but those were of the HT type, tough-SUV, tread pattern on 215/75/15 and 235/70/16 sizes.

I do believe that the Bridgestone ER70's which come for the Yeti in 215/60/16 size or 215/65/16 size, would most certainly have a more car-like, road-going tread pattern on them, but would yet, be 'tougher' than the Michelins, Pirellis or Yokohamas of a similar type, on account of a harder rubber compound being used in the Bridgestones in comparison to the others named.

Our colleague on the forum, Behemoth, has these Bridgestone ER 70's on his Yeti in the NCR region. I would request him to maybe post a picture of his tread pattern for greater clarity to be achieved for us potential customers.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 4th January 2014 at 07:04.
Old 4th January 2014, 10:36   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by "shankar.balan;3335341"
Our colleague on the forum, Behemoth, has these Bridgestone ER 70's on his Yeti in the NCR region. I would request him to maybe post a picture of his tread pattern for greater clarity to be achieved for us potential customers.
Thanks Shankar. In fact I also rate the Michelins and the Yokos highly and have experienced both of them. The Yoko c drives on my Yeti and the Michelin Primacy Lc's on my Laura. In 22k kms on my Yeti the Yokos underwent one puncture and they are decently sturdy but their sidewall is their achilles heel and it is weaker than Indian tyres. The Michelins on the Laura are really soft and underwent 3 punctures in 16k kms.
For Gurgaon I found the Bridgestones to be the right balance of comfort vs strength. But that is based on the driving conditions that I see in the places I visit with my Yeti. (I had posted a pic of the Bridgestones on the yeti tyres thread a few days back.)
Had the bad road conditions not been my primary concern I too would have opted for the Michelin Latitude tours too. They are good tyres suitable for a crossover like the Yeti. This size however leaves only 2 mm clearance in the wheel well when you turn the tyres so there is a chance of wheel rubbing in certain conditions.
Still if driving conditions are favourable the benefits on ride quality are quite significant. They should also make this the standard size on the Yeti with some modifications. It will improve both the Gc and the ride comfort.

Last edited by Behemoth : 4th January 2014 at 10:38.
Behemoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 12:05   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
Congrats for new shoes on your Yeti.
Can you share the price details, also the place where you got them from. Did you get any resale value for old tyres??
Paid a bit over 11k per tyre. Got it done from Premji tyres in Mahim. They seem professional enough. The old tyres I've kept with me at home, planning on selling them on Tbhp itself, hopefully I'll get a few grand for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Hey the stance looks pretty much the same to me, but now the wheelarches look better filled up. The GC has gone up I believe but I didn't have an issue with the stock GC so won't really notice this.

Quote:
This is precisely my point. I do appreciate the superior comfort and handling and grip of these softer tyre compounds of the Michelins, Pirellis and Yokohamas of the world, but I am most certainly not willing to spend big bucks for that alone. .

However, I live in Bangalore, a place in this world, which is universally renowned and reviled for its useless broken roads and lousy infrastructure, and my driving is mostly inside the city - I would say 85-90% in the city and only maybe around 10-15% max on highways.
Sir I think you are being over cautious. You do mention most of your drives will be in the city. These Michelins are SUV specific tyres which mean they will be stronger than any passenger car tyres. They can take a fair amount of beating. But yes anyone driving any of our cars is careful and does watch out for potholes, bad bumps, sharp stones, so I have gotten Michelins. If the car is going to be driven carelessly or something then the Bridgestones make sense for the extra durability. Going by what you have posted above the Michelins will do just fine.

I'm not trying to push you into buying the Michelins, just saying that they will suit your needs 100%. I don't think you need the extra durability the Bridgestones provide, and would do better with the extra comfort and silence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Thanks Shankar. In fact I also rate the Michelins and the Yokos highly and have experienced both of them. The Yoko c drives on my Yeti and the Michelin Primacy Lc's on my Laura. In 22k kms on my Yeti the Yokos underwent one puncture and they are decently sturdy but their sidewall is their achilles heel and it is weaker than Indian tyres. The Michelins on the Laura are really soft and underwent 3 punctures in 16k kms.

Had the bad road conditions not been my primary concern I too would have opted for the Michelin Latitude tours too. They are good tyres suitable for a crossover like the Yeti. This size however leaves only 2 mm clearance in the wheel well when you turn the tyres so there is a chance of wheel rubbing in certain conditions.
The C drives are great, had a set of them on one of my earlier cars. They can't be compared to the Michelins though. But yes they were reasonably tough. The Primacy LCs on the other hand are really soft compound tyres.

I highly doubt there is only 2mm clearance when the wheel is turned. I don't think they would be working on such tight clearances. Will check this out and report back.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 12:49   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I highly doubt there is only 2mm clearance when the wheel is turned. I don't think they would be working on such tight clearances. Will check this out and report back.
The vehicle comes with 17" wheels shod with 225/50 tyres as OE abroad. I really don't think a 1 cm increase in circumference on a 16" wheel is going to make that much of a difference. You will have to be seriously sensitive to even notice that difference while driving.

Last edited by Steeroid : 5th January 2014 at 12:51.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 13:13   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir I think you are being over cautious. You do mention most of your drives will be in the city. These Michelins are SUV specific tyres which mean they will be stronger than any passenger car tyres. They can take a fair amount of beating. But yes anyone driving any of our cars is careful and does watch out for potholes, bad bumps, sharp stones, so I have gotten Michelins. If the car is going to be driven carelessly or something then the Bridgestones make sense for the extra durability. Going by what you have posted above the Michelins will do just fine. I'm not trying to push you into buying the Michelins, just saying that they will suit your needs 100%. I don't think you need the extra durability the Bridgestones provide, and would do better with the extra comfort and silence.

Thanks for the note Akshay. It does inspire confidence!

I do not let anyone drive my Yeti at all, not even the valet parking blokes. There is only one driver from the Vinayak workshop who is allowed to do the pickup and delivery service when the Yeti goes for its annual visit to the 'vet'.

I drive the car as carefully as I can- I like the Yeti too much to abuse it. However, circumstances in Bangalore conspire to destroy all one's best intentions, because most of the roads here are hugely pot holed with sharp edges and deep scars. There are random bits of concrete jelly lying around, big stones from broken dividers, strange bits of yellow metal, all twisted up, which are normally used as dividers but here in many places have been reduced to sharp edged lethal bits of metal, construction debris is rife, nails and sharp pieces of wood etc abound. All of this is bad news for Tyres. My silver alloys have already suffered some chipping damage on account of these lousy roads that we get, despite paying our taxes in this otherwise wonderful state/ city. My OEM GoodYear tyres have had their treads chipped and bits of rubber have fallen off here and there. As a rule I do not drive very fast either because quite simply, I cannot, given the traffic here.

I have driven the Yeti to Coorg and Ooty over some absolutely horrid roads when I went last. Basically, while I do appreciate the quiet, comfort and overall finesse and softness that I am sure the Michelins will guarantee me, I would still think deeply before committing because my DNA pretty much is programmed to look for durability and strength in tyres.