Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2013, 11:23   #16
BHPian
 
vasanthn21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 745
Thanked: 303 Times
Default Re: 2005 Maruti Zen - 5 Years of Blissful Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I said pricey but not at all a bad deal.


My point is that now even if you would sell your car, you can still have a great resale! After driving 50-60K kms, all you lose is just about a lac of rupee! That is why I said that it was a pricey, but still turns out to be a great deal.
Thanks for the calrification Saket. I have to say, I agree with your point. May be I was not too good at striking the deal at the right price when I bought this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinuak View Post
The Zen has been and is still one of my favorite cars. I have a 2002 model,MPFI one and still is going on good. I remember the Zen being mentioned then as a pocket rocket by many of its reviewers and fans. But I cannot agree to the mileage figure of 20kmpl as I don't get more than 13-14 kmpl for mine on highways. But definitely I share the same sentiments on Maruti's decision to discontinue /replace with Estillo.
I am surprised with your mileage figures on the highway. I get 18-20 kmpl on the highway depending on the conditions. Once, I drove with the AC blower on max speed, all the way; and constantly touching 100 kmph, and I got 15 kmpl. That is the worst mileage I have got on highway.

I gather from other Zen ownership reviews, almost everyone has been getting 18-20 kmpl on the highway.
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2013, 11:39   #17
BHPian
 
Sebring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 489
Thanked: 624 Times
Default Re: 2005 Maruti Zen - 5 Years of Blissful Ownership

I gather from other Zen ownership reviews, almost everyone has been getting 18-20 kmpl on the highway.[/quote]

I remember our carb zen returning 10-12 KMPL only. Next time I am in town need to get that looked into. Shall post some pics of the ride then, as well. Can the VXi gear shaft console with cubbies for coins/bottles be retrofitted to older LX? How much would that cost?
Sebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2013, 11:50   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
speedsatya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: bangalore/manga
Posts: 3,161
Thanked: 706 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I gather from other Zen ownership reviews, almost everyone has been getting 18-20 kmpl on the highway.
I remember our carb zen returning 10-12 KMPL only. Next time I am in town need to get that looked into. Shall post some pics of the ride then, as well. Can the VXi gear shaft console with cubbies for coins/bottles be retrofitted to older LX? How much would that cost?[/quote]

My car has done 2.13L kms. Front tires are 165/60r13 while the rear has 175/60r13. I get about 14kpl in city with AC. My usual Bangalore - Mangalore drives give me around 16kpl with AC on only for the last 100 kms after the ghat with speeds hovering around 140-150kph.

This time I stuck to 100 kph and AC on full time. Got around 18.xx kpl on the highway.
speedsatya is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2013, 17:05   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: RJ 14
Posts: 552
Thanked: 94 Times
Default Re: 2005 Maruti Zen - 5 Years of Blissful Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
That is an interesting way of looking at it, but can you elaborate?
People recognize ZEN because for performance. IMPO being a small car ZEN if having a very good road behavior & control like a seaden (tyres are always have well gripped with road car always follows the command it got from steering perfectly i.e. called a driverís car).
(Alok) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2013, 22:54   #20
BHPian
 
powerband_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 30
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: 2005 Maruti Zen - 5 Years of Blissful Ownership

@vasanth Am i jealous or what! I am a big fan of this car and had one in the family. Would always pounce upon the opportunity to drive it whenever i got one. The low slung design, light steering, butterly gears, sprightly engine were all FUN. I am using the past tense because that car was unfortunately lost in a crash recently. Now that its been discontinued by MSIL, it has certainly left a void. Alto K10 may come close but not up there and the zen estilo, just forget about it.
I will be in the market for a new hatch soon and would have totally lapped this one up had MSIL not killed it. Damn!
So hold on to it and enjoy it. Dont worry about the dated interiors, its something that a driving enthusiast can totally live with in this car.
All the best.
powerband_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2013, 23:08   #21
BHPian
 
vasanthn21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 745
Thanked: 303 Times
Default Re: 2005 Maruti Zen - 5 Years of Blissful Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Can the VXi gear shaft console with cubbies for coins/bottles be retrofitted to older LX? How much would that cost?
IMO, it can be retrofitted. Could not get cost details though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
My car has done 2.13L kms. Front tires are 165/60r13 while the rear has 175/60r13. I get about 14kpl in city with AC. My usual Bangalore - Mangalore drives give me around 16kpl with AC on only for the last 100 kms after the ghat with speeds hovering around 140-150kph.

This time I stuck to 100 kph and AC on full time. Got around 18.xx kpl on the highway.
You Zen with 2.13L kms on the odo is nothing short of a legend. I remember I came very close to getting a chance to look at it about 2-3 years back when you attended the "For driving skills for life" session in Bangalore. You attended the morning session and I came for the post lunch session. Missed meeting you and your Zen by a few minutes.

Why the different specifications on the front and rear tyres?

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
People recognize ZEN because for performance. IMPO being a small car ZEN if having a very good road behavior & control like a seaden (tyres are always have well gripped with road car always follows the command it got from steering perfectly i.e. called a driver’s car).
Agree with that, but still don't see how the car can correct mistakes done by the driver.

Last edited by vasanthn21 : 2nd June 2013 at 23:09.
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2013, 23:33   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
speedsatya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: bangalore/manga
Posts: 3,161
Thanked: 706 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post

IMO, it can be retrofitted. Could not get cost details though.

You Zen with 2.13L kms on the odo is nothing short of a legend. I remember I came very close to getting a chance to look at it about 2-3 years back when you attended the "For driving skills for life" session in Bangalore. You attended the morning session and I came for the post lunch session. Missed meeting you and your Zen by a few minutes.

Why the different specifications on the front and rear tyres?

Agree with that, but still don't see how the car can correct mistakes done by the driver.
Cheers !

Wanted to edit my earlier post. I don't drive at 140-150 kph on 2 laned roads with oncoming traffic. I meant to say ,I get those FE figures with speeds touching 140 kph on the 4 laned stretches.

Different tire sizes actually don't help much. I wouldn't recommend anyone to do that on a zen. I actually felt handling has changed for the worse, not sure if its because of the wider rear tires. But yeah , I can see a difference in ride quality...it better.

The console from the newer zens can be fitted easily. I have one in my car since 2005 ( whenever this version of the Zen was launched )

Recently , I replaced the OE headlight reflectors at Suraksha. It's actually worsened !! I see a big difference in the headlight throw. The earlier 12 year ones were still better than these ones. Tried aligning the headlights at Suraksha. Funnily , they have no equipment to adjust this !! They park the car in front of a wall and do the settings. Wll try another workshop to correct this. Till then , all night driving has stopped.
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2013, 23:42   #23
BHPian
 
vasanthn21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 745
Thanked: 303 Times
Default Re: 2005 Maruti Zen - 5 Years of Blissful Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Cheers !
Different tire sizes actually don't help much. I wouldn't recommend anyone to do that on a zen. I actually felt handling has changed for the worse, not sure if its because of the wider rear tires. But yeah , I can see a difference in ride quality...it better.

The console from the newer zens can be fitted easily. I have one in my car since 2005 ( whenever this version of the Zen was launched )
That is surprising, I assumed that with the different tyre setup, you would have better handling than ride, but what you say is the opposite.

The good thing about Maruti is that though production of Zen has stopped long back, it is quite easy to get the parts in the service center even now.

BTW, do you get your Zen serviced at the Company service center or you have found better alternatives. I am finding the Maruti serivce centers getting pricier these days.

OT: How is your Amaze performing. I am surprised you haven't started an ownership/review thread!
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 00:24   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
speedsatya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: bangalore/manga
Posts: 3,161
Thanked: 706 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post

That is surprising, I assumed that with the different tyre setup, you would have better handling than ride, but what you say is the opposite.

The good thing about Maruti is that though production of Zen has stopped long back, it is quite easy to get the parts in the service center even now.

BTW, do you get your Zen serviced at the Company service center or you have found better alternatives. I am finding the Maruti serivce centers getting pricier these days.

OT: How is your Amaze performing. I am surprised you haven't started an ownership/review thread!
I wasn't comfortable with the handling at higher speeds. That's the reason I stuck to a max of 100 kph on my last drive to Mangalore.

Service is just as good as the workshop. It was the service experience over the last one year that made me swear off maruti. Maruti service isn't really cheap. I end up spending at least 5 K every 5K kms and at the end of it , you don't even get proper service ! I am now looking out a MASS or a smaller workshop to service the car. Dealer service centres have been useless.

I have just done 500 kms on the Amaze and that too just city driving. I would say its easier to drive in the city than the zen ( though I am still learning to drive in bumper to bumper traffic ). The information display has been showing 19.6 kmpl since the last 400 kms. Have never exceeded 2000 rpm with AC on most times.
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 16:02   #25
BHPian
 
vasanthn21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 745
Thanked: 303 Times
Default Re: 2005 Maruti Zen - 5 Years of Blissful Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post

Service is just as good as the workshop. It was the service experience over the last one year that made me swear off maruti. Maruti service isn't really cheap. I end up spending at least 5 K every 5K kms and at the end of it , you don't even get proper service ! I am now looking out a MASS or a smaller workshop to service the car. Dealer service centres have been useless.

I have just done 500 kms on the Amaze and that too just city driving. I would say its easier to drive in the city than the zen ( though I am still learning to drive in bumper to bumper traffic ). The information display has been showing 19.6 kmpl since the last 400 kms. Have never exceeded 2000 rpm with AC on most times.
I am having similar experiences with Maruti service. I have also started giving my vehicle for service to a local but trustworthy mechanic.

19.6kmpl with AC in city driving is very good mileage.

Amaze is definitely on the list of my "next car possibility" list.
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 14:52   #26
BHPian
 
dezrskb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Udupi
Posts: 233
Thanked: 114 Times
Default Re: 2005 Maruti Zen - 5 Years of Blissful Ownership

Hi Vasanthn21.
This was my first car and have very fond memories of same. 2002 model, MPFI Lx, miami gold. Touched a truck and cracked front windshield on way back from dealership while taking delivery. Replaced it next day. I ran it for next 7 years with minor troubles. Have driven for max 600kms in a day without trouble. Service was cheap, mileage good (18+ with A/c). My wife says it was the one she liked most (we had a Swift Dzire Vdi and then now a Skoda Laura Elegance Tdi). Minor troubles - 1.A bus banged the car and damaged rear right door, replaced under insurance . 2. Battery died after 5 yrs, replaced (not bad at all). 3. A/c cooling reduced and the OEM gas was not available anymore. Filled another one with improvement. 4. A nut at floor dropped off, rain water leaked in and started smelling. Took some time for me to notice and repair it. 5. As far as I remember, back seats didn't have seat belts, no ABS/ airbags/even power steering but never failed me when I needed it.
But when I wanted to sell it after 7 yrs (basically I needed more space, more powerful engine as roads were getting better and boot space), there were many customers. Had no trouble selling it but sold with a heavy heart as this was the car which I bought with learner's license. I learnt good driving habits with this car. This was the car I had when I married and had my first child. Even now my wife is very emotional about it as it was the one she drove a bit (didnt drive the dzire / Laura). If I could afford to keep 2 cars then, I wouldn't have sold it. Later few of my friends wanted a pre-owned Zen, but couldn't find one in market for reasonable price.
All in all, I would say it was a reliable sweet little car for me.
dezrskb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 14:59   #27
BHPian
 
deadguy25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 236
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Re: 2005 Maruti Zen - 5 Years of Blissful Ownership

Zen is one of the best cars. Had a Zen (December 1996 to August 2011). The only thing needed was petrol. She would take care of the rest.
deadguy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 23:50   #28
BHPian
 
vasanthn21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 745
Thanked: 303 Times
Default Re: 2005 Maruti Zen - 5 Years of Blissful Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
Hi Vasanthn21.
This was my first car and have very fond memories of same. 2002 model, MPFI Lx, miami gold.
I ran it for next 7 years with minor troubles. Have driven for max 600kms in a day without trouble.
My wife says it was the one she liked most (we had a Swift Dzire Vdi and then now a Skoda Laura Elegance Tdi).

Minor troubles - . 5. As far as I remember, back seats didn't have seat belts, no ABS/ airbags/even power steering but never failed me when I needed it.
But when I All in all, I would say it was a reliable sweet little car for me.
Care to share some pics of your car?

It is nice to see that your wife likes it over the Dzire and Laura, that is some competition for the little guy.

My cars back seats had seat belt. May be these were introduced sometime after 2002, not sure.

Reliable sweet little car - yes, very well summarised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
Zen is one of the best cars. Had a Zen (December 1996 to August 2011). The only thing needed was petrol. She would take care of the rest.
That is 15 years of ownership Deadguy! You should have put up an ownership review!
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 10:54   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
Guderian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Thane
Posts: 1,616
Thanked: 1,409 Times
Default Re: 2005 Maruti Zen - 5 Years of Blissful Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
...
There are times when I regret having sold my Zen. And this moment is one of them !

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...n-tribute.html (Zen - A tribute !)

Nice review Vasanth. Brought back a lot of fond memories.
Though my 1997 Zen was almost a generation older with the carb etc everything else seems to be the same.
Hope you have a long innings with your Zen and good luck !
Guderian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 13:17   #30
BHPian
 
deadguy25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 236
Thanked: 42 Times
Smile Re: 2005 Maruti Zen - 5 Years of Blissful Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Care to share some pics of your car?

That is 15 years of ownership Deadguy! You should have put up an ownership review!
yup mate, should have.
deadguy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Iam blissful! Pferdestarke Introduce yourself 4 17th November 2013 22:15
Blissful, beautiful Bhabha Valley @ Kafnu lordofgondor Travelogues 27 23rd May 2011 15:02
A blissful ride on my Linea - Flamenco Red Auk99 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 22 17th April 2010 17:03
Blissful In Bhandardara genesis Travelogues 6 3rd March 2009 20:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:43.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks