Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 16th September 2013, 19:00   #16
Team-BHP Support

Default re: 2012 Skoda Laura L&K TDi - 20,000Kms Update - Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics

Here are the pics you requested of the rims in gun metal, and in black.
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Skoda Laura L&K TDi - Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. 45,000 Kms Update-untitled1.jpg  

2012 Skoda Laura L&K TDi - Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. 45,000 Kms Update-untitled2.jpg  

Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2014, 18:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default 20,000Kms Update

20,000Kms Update

The Car has finally completed 20,000kms, in a shade under 1.5 years, as my daily drive.
A few small scratches and a dent aside - all while fighting traffic, the car has had me smiling all throughout!
In fact, I was so pleased, I even went ahead with a Tune-O-Tronics remap a few months back, to celebrate it's first birthday! The car is indeed turning out to be a beast - perfectly suited for the city, as well as highway runs.

Before picking up the Laura, I had wanted something a wee-bit faster such as the 320d/Passat, but unfortunately, keeping budget constraints in mind, the Laura with its excellent DSG Gearbox + nimble size was the winner. Even though I was more than satisfied with the 140 horses, the thought of a remap was always lingering in my mind.

The plan was to upgrade the tyres first, and then start thinking of a remap, but one call from fellow BHP-ian akshay1234 changed that.

We got in touch with Vivek from tune-o-tronics, and I requested him for a mild remap with bulk of the power in the mid-range keeping in mind my driving patterns and style. The date was to be during his next trip to Mumbai, and he came over and remapped both akshay1234's Laura vRS, and this Laura TDi, along with another Polo TSi belonging to another t-bhpian (IIRC).

The process did take most of the afternoon and did go into early evening, given that he was working on 3 cars - but the results have been simply superb! I have completed nearly 5Kkm since the remap, and am still smiling every time I get behind the wheel.
With the stock tyres, you can see the traction control light blinking upto 70kmph, and the mid-range has improved considerably. If driven well, this car will surprise many!
In fact, on one trip, the Laura never lost sight of a friends 320D - until we reached the ghats, of course.

I am hoping to give her a new set of tyres before the monsoons, as an early birthday gift - and once those are done, I should expect better acceleration as well - given that I am losing a lot of time to wheelspins.
Once those are done, I hope to have a re-look at the remap and see where we can go with it.
Presently, in its mild tune, we are putting out close to 180bhp and 385NM of torque, and Vivek informs me that we could be pushing upto 420NM - the gearbox's limit. Looking forward to that tune

In the meanwhile, given that it is a Skoda, and more so because of the remap, I am being very particular about idling the turbo for a minute after my drives, as well as putting the gearbox in 'N' while idling.

I have been assured however that there should be no issue with regards to my warranty, as the re-tune would not show up in a routine scan. But the one thing that does bother me - and apparently is quite common in a remapped diesel - is the black smoke bellowing out under heavy acceleration.
Trying to see how I can reduce this occurrence.

FE has been untouched however, and hovers around 11.5 - 12.5 in the city, depending on driving style + traffic.

Remap aside, the car has been performing flawlessly so far.

I got her serviced in October, at around 15.5Kkm - oil change, etc. The bill was close to Rs. 17K, which was a bit of a shocker, and on closer inspection, many services were added on.
However, I have no complaint with Autobahn, except that in the future, I shall be more specific about what needs to be done. Unfortunately, I was not in a position to be there when the car was dropped off this time around.
During this service, I even got the front DRL bulb replaced as it had fused. Still looking out for better options for the DRL's as well as fog lights.

That aside, the car has not given any trouble as yet. I did top up half a litre of engine oil recently, but nothing else.
There are minor irritants though, such as the rattles from the rear parcel tray, and front passenger seat.

Also, as I have put on more miles, I have noticed that the ride quality is very fussy. It is oddly stiff and the car does bounce a bit over large undulations and bumps - such as the ones on Marine Drive. While I did notice this earlier, it just seems to be a little more pronounced and has gotten a little annoying - probably the bigger 16" rims to blame along with the average tyres.
Similarly, at even higher speeds, such as 180kmph, the car did feel a little skittish. However, the better tyres should take care of both of these issues.
June cannot come fast enough!

A recent pic attached - taken a little after the birthday detailing, and hope to be writing a happy review at 30Kkm.
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Skoda Laura L&K TDi - Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. 45,000 Kms Update-t8.jpg  

lamborghini is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2014, 19:29   #18
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: 20,000Kms Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post

Also, as I have put on more miles, I have noticed that the ride quality is very fussy. It is oddly stiff and the car does bounce a bit over large undulations and bumps - such as the ones on Marine Drive. While I did notice this earlier, it just seems to be a little more pronounced and has gotten a little annoying - probably the bigger 16" rims to blame along with the average tyres.
Similarly, at even higher speeds, such as 180kmph, the car did feel a little skittish. However, the better tyres should take care of both of these issues.
The ride is only because of the Goodyears you're running now. They are useless and really harden up with age. It will be much better once you get some nice 225 tyres.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 07:32   #19
BHPian

Default re: 2012 Skoda Laura L&K TDi - 20,000 Kms Update. Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics

Congrats on the remap lamborghini !

Had a question on the remap itself - I realize most remaps tend to increase the fuel pressure/duration and that is what shows up as black smoke in the exhaust. Given the newer diesel engines sold in India are equipped with a DPF, would the additional soot in the exhaust by way of remap strain the DPF?
vignesh.cv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 09:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Default re: 2012 Skoda Laura L&K TDi - 20,000 Kms Update. Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics

Pretty brave move I would say. Remapping a 2.0 Tdi DSG. What were the considerations made by ToT with respect to DSG ?
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 19:11   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Pretty brave move I would say. Remapping a 2.0 Tdi DSG. What were the considerations made by ToT with respect to DSG ?
Why? The same DSG is used on the 170bhp version of this engine, and even those are remapped many a times. Also the 6 speed is pretty much reliable now.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 20:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Why? The same DSG is used on the 170bhp version of this engine, and even those are remapped many a times. Also the 6 speed is pretty much reliable now.
DSG isnt reliable enough on stock settings, hence the work brave.

That said, DSG has an shift logic, which it executes.
How will the DSG understand that it has extra power at hand ?
Old 16th February 2014, 20:29   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
DSG isnt reliable enough on stock settings, hence the work brave.

That said, DSG has an shift logic, which it executes.
How will the DSG understand that it has extra power at hand ?
Engine power has nothing to do with DSG failures, the mechatronics mainly fail due to heat.

6 speed is reliable enough. So is 7 speed when not used in traffic conditions.

The DSG has its own control unit so I'm sure it will be able to adapt fast enough to the extra power at hand. I drove the car just after it was remapped (before Lambo himself lol) and the DSG even at that time was totally smooth and it didn't seem as though the extra power affected it at all.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 16th February 2014 at 20:33.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 21:13   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Engine power has nothing to do with DSG failures, the mechatronics mainly fail due to heat.

6 speed is reliable enough. So is 7 speed when not used in traffic conditions.

The DSG has its own control unit so I'm sure it will be able to adapt fast enough to the extra power at hand. I drove the car just after it was remapped (before Lambo himself lol) and the DSG even at that time was totally smooth and it didn't seem as though the extra power affected it at all.
I didn't say DSG fails due to extra power. I only said that DSG is itself a gamble at stock settings. I agree with you that they are more reliable now. I wonder why VW doesn't offer extended warranty on DSG. Does Skoda offer it ?

Exactly my point, DSG must have its control unit, did ToT take this logic in to consideration during the remap.

I think it is safe to assume that DSG logic executed by control unit on 140hp(laura and jetta)and 170hp(passat ?) tune is not the same.
Old 16th February 2014, 21:22   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I didn't say DSG fails due to extra power. I only said that DSG is itself a gamble at stock settings. I agree with you that they are more reliable now. I wonder why VW doesn't offer extended warranty on DSG. Does Skoda offer it ?

Exactly my point, DSG must have its control unit, did ToT take this logic in to consideration during the remap.

I think it is safe to assume that DSG logic executed by control unit on 140hp(laura and jetta)and 170hp(passat ?) tune is not the same.
I know you didn't say it fails due to extra power, but my point was that since the failure is any way not due to excess power, then a remap will not add to the chances of failure.

In Skodas the DSG is covered under extended warranty. In VWs too I think they would cover a DSG failure under goodwill warranty.

See remapping the DSG control unit is a different game altogether, no one in India offers it besides Revotechnik, but the DSG tune is charged separately.

To be honest I don't know if the tune is the same, but these transmissions are pretty smart and can adapt a fair bit to driving style and even the power. The DSG shifts are just like stock with the extra power, and even my not adjusting the DSG tuning I highly doubt it will make it any less reliable. With the DSG tunes offered generally the shifts are quickened and the downshifts are less hesitant amongst other things.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 01:42   #26
Senior - BHPian

Default re: 2012 Skoda Laura L&K TDi - Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. 40,000 Kms Update

Quote:

Hey buddy,

As akshay explained, the DSG has actually adapted very well to the tune, and IIRC Vivek from T-O-T had pointed the same out during a discussion I was having with him pre-install - where he mentioned that the gearbox would adapt to the increase in torque. I am sure he can shed more light on the same.

As for reliability, the 6 speed gearbox in the diesel, is supposed to be significantly more reliable than the 7 speed gearbox. I am taking all the precautions I can with the gearbox, especially post-remap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh.cv View Post
Congrats on the remap lamborghini !

Had a question on the remap itself - I realize most remaps tend to increase the fuel pressure/duration and that is what shows up as black smoke in the exhaust. Given the newer diesel engines sold in India are equipped with a DPF, would the additional soot in the exhaust by way of remap strain the DPF?
We have scanned the car for any smoke related warnings, but none have popped up as yet.
However, am trying to see how I can reduce it, as it is a primary concern for me.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2014, 22:46   #27
Senior - BHPian

Default re: 2012 Skoda Laura L&K TDi - Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. 40,000 Kms Update

Hey lamborghini ! How is the car doing after the remap, it has been 6 months post remap, would you mind providing us a quick update.

Coming back to remap, what was the reason behind selecting ToT. They are based out of BLORE and you are in Mumbai. Could you please share your experience about their post sales experience.

Thank you
F150
Old 7th September 2014, 04:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey lamborghini ! How is the car doing after the remap, it has been 6 months post remap, would you mind providing us a quick update.

Coming back to remap, what was the reason behind selecting ToT. They are based out of BLORE and you are in Mumbai. Could you please share your experience about their post sales experience.

Thank you
F150
Hi buddy,

The car is performing quite well actually. Have clocked nearly 15,000kms since the re-map, including several long drives to Pune / Goa / Mahabaleshwar. Have no complaints to report except for black smoke billowing out under hard acceleration - standard for remapped cars apparently.
Regarding performance, the car doesn't run out of breath as quick, however I wouldn't mind more . On many of the longer drives, the car gives company to some of its premium european cousins (hint: 320D, 520D, A6, Passat, E220 etc.). Do note that I am talking about regular driving where the DSG plays a part as well, and not in a straight line drag. In a drag, the Laura would keep up with the 520D etc. in my opinion up until 160 where the others start taking the lead. For that, you need a remapped Laura vRS!

About ToT: well, haven't had to contact them recently so cannot comment regarding post sales experience, but I expect it to be good.
I chose them primarily because of all the positive T-BHP reviews, along with the ability to fine-tune the performance as per your requirements which very few tuners do. The fact that they travel made it so much more convenient.
The other serious contenders were Pete's and Kiirus, but due to the above mentioned points - decided to go with ToT.

Are you planning on getting it done?
Old 11th March 2015, 14:34   #29
Senior - BHPian

40,000kms Update

2012 Skoda Laura L&K TDi - Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. 45,000 Kms Update-laura-40kkm.jpg <br />
It has been a while since I have updated this thread. She has just recently crossed the 40Kkm mark, and a few niggles and Skoda A.S.S. aside, I am enjoying every moment. Her key traits still remain strong - quick, stable, safe, fuel economical, and fun to drive be it on the highway, or in the city. <br /> <br /> <a href=2012 Skoda Laura L&K TDi - Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. 45,000 Kms Update-laura-goa.jpg
Enroute Goa<br /> <br />
Recent upgrades include an upgrade to wider 225/50R16 Michelin Primacy HP, which not only help the car put down her power better, but also the soft compound absorbs the rough edges out of bumps - which really helps in making the ride just so much more bearable. My mother still prefers the Etios's rear seats and ride in the city however, but then again, the etios was bought for the solely for the rear seat comfort. <br />
While the tyres have greatly impacted the straight line stability, grip, and ride quality; I am still left wanting when it comes to high speed driving, as the car feels a little skittish when executing any quick manoeuvres - I believe this could be due to the softer compound, as these are comfort oriented tyres after all! <br /> <br />
On the other hand, I am still left deeply disappointed with the brakes (pads were changed around 35,000kms), and still feel they lack enough bite - especially given what the car is capable off.  <br /> <br />
Similarly, the car has thrown the odd niggle which is spoiling the overall experience - primarily as it involves dealing with Skoda A.S.S. <br />
Somehow, these guys seem to have fallen in love with the car, as she visits them every 5,000kms! And not a single visit, but multiple times to fix the same issue (or related niggle). <br />
Thankfully, the car has been relatively trouble free - the only issue being the ESC sensor that conked off, and the Gateway module that was replaced due to water damage (this is located under the dashboard, so I am guessing a couple of drops might have gone in while having clear sun film installed on the front windshield). <br />
However, some service highlights:<br />
 - The DRL bulb conked off, and the error popped up on the MID. Requested him to take care of it during 25,000kms service, only to have him disconnect the junction box. Voila - no DRLs working, thus no error message! When I inquired, he cooly informs me that the car doesn't come with DRL's! It was only when I offered to show him a picture of the car with the DRLs working, that he replaced the bulb and had the system hooked up again. <br />
 - Heck, once instead of changing the DRL bulb as requested, he only temporarily fixed it, as I found out on a Mum-Goa drive when the DRL conked off midway. <br />
 - Having purchased extended warranty isn't enough. I need to specifically tell them to carry out the work under warranty, failing which they will be more than pleased to raise a bill. I had this issue while getting the ESC sensor rectified IIRC. <br /> <a href=2012 Skoda Laura L&K TDi - Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. 45,000 Kms Update-esc-failure.jpg
ESC Failure Warnings<br />
 - Currently, after the gateway replacement - the car at times is idling at 1000rpm. This has happened 4 times in the last 800kms, so will be sending it yet again, and will ask them to look into a couple of rattles as well. <br /> <a href=2012 Skoda Laura L&K TDi - Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. 45,000 Kms Update-laura-gateway-malfunction.jpg
The Gateway module controls all the electronics. Located below the dash - all it took was the odd drop of water during sunfilm installation (100% clear) to cause damage and slowly led to all the sensors going kaput. Not covered in Extended Warranty, and costs around INR 24,000 for a new one. <br />
Similar issue with Swifts IIRC. <br /> <br />
These issues aside, I have to say that if nothing else - the team is at least courteous and helpful. <br />
Waiting to get the last issue fixed soon, so I can take her for a long overdue highway spin! <br /> <br /> <a href=2012 Skoda Laura L&K TDi - Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. 45,000 Kms Update-img_0641-version-2.jpg <a href=2012 Skoda Laura L&K TDi - Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. 45,000 Kms Update-img_1119-version-2.jpg   <div style=
lamborghini is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2015, 14:09   #30
Senior - BHPian

Default re: 2012 Skoda Laura L&K TDi - Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics. 45,000 Kms Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
- Currently, after the gateway replacement - the car at times is idling at 1000rpm. This has happened 4 times in the last 800kms, so will be sending it yet again, and will ask them to look into a couple of rattles as well.
And the problem seems to have magically disappeared. Probably something to do with the DPF coupled with the new gateway - read somewhere that this is normal for the first few hundred kms on a new car and then it goes away only to happen sporadically to burn the excess soot.
Interesting given the debate on DPF being present on Indian Lauras.