Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 2nd November 2006, 09:27   #151
Senior - BHPian

Steeroid,
Of late, when i accelerate my LX dicor, i see a trail of smoke behind me and its more visible in night in the rear view mirror against the head lamps of behind car...
is it normal thing to observe ?
Rahul
Old 2nd November 2006, 09:55   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
Nice review Steeroid, I'm sure there will be quite a few converts to the Dicor once you go through 20,000 kms!
suman, I am not sure whether you knew that you would be one of the converts when you posted early on in this thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/165388-post7.html).

Old 2nd November 2006, 09:56   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76
Steeroid,
Of late, when i accelerate my LX dicor, i see a trail of smoke behind me and its more visible in night in the rear view mirror against the head lamps of behind car...
Rahul
Not answering on behalf of Steer, but my two bits only. Ask the dealer to hook the car up to their diagnostic machine. Your EGR valve or the modulator may not be functioning properly.

Last edited by jyobeb : 2nd November 2006 at 10:08.
Old 2nd November 2006, 09:57   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76
Steeroid,
Rahul
Get you EGR valve checked/tuned. Check this post (Tata Safari Long-Term Review) and search for EGR.

regards
tifosi.
Old 2nd November 2006, 10:19   #155
Senior - BHPian

thnks..
ill visit the dealer wks shp and ask them to check the same this weekend itself
Rahul
Old 2nd November 2006, 12:30   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
suman, I am not sure whether you knew that you would be one of the converts when you posted early on in this thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/165388-post7.html).

Well, even back then I was dithering between the Safari & Endeavour, was postponing the decision hoping that the issues would be resolved......well, some of them have, others remain but I've been converted nonetheless
Old 2nd November 2006, 18:26   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb
Not answering on behalf of Steer, but my two bits only. Ask the dealer to hook the car up to their diagnostic machine. Your EGR valve or the modulator may not be functioning properly.
Jyobeb's advice is correct and to the point. Get your EGR modulator checked.
Old 15th November 2006, 10:09   #158
Senior - BHPian

well went to workshop last week and cudnt get the dicor hooked upto the computer as there was a heavy rush of safaris that day. met with the floor supervisor and made him aware about the smoke problem but he didnt seem convinced that it was a problem. I asked him to hook up the dicor to comp and check if everything was ok, but a sadist reply was unless there is check engine light glowing, there is no problem, then i asked him to do a puc check to ascertain the levels,but alas, it wasnt working either. So am in a bad shape..should i wait until first service to come to take care of this problem...or its a bad fuel which is causing black smoke on acceleration? should i take dicor to alternate TAS in Pune to get the egr modulator checked as described by jyobeb...or anything i can check under the hood ? :(
Old 23rd November 2006, 18:24   #159
BHPian

Rahul,

Diesels do emit black smoke under HEAVY acceleration. Why don't you watch other DICOR's under similar conditions? It might very well be normal behaviour.

Gears,
Red-One.
Old 27th November 2006, 22:29   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
i would have suggested you for scorpio instead of this elephant never mind enjoy but get rid of it before you cross 50,000
Thanks for your advice. I'm planning to buy a Touareg or a Cayenne. Which would you suggest?
Old 27th November 2006, 22:35   #161
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
i would have suggested you for scorpio instead of this elephant never mind enjoy but get rid of it before you cross 50,000
I hope you‘re referring to Rahul in that post and not me. No chance of me getting rid of my silver elephant - I‘ve done 25000 kms and the damn thing gets even better with every passing km. Amazing, especially with the new "Totally Psyched Out" suspension.

There are some interesting threads on this topic....search and thou shalt find.
Old 27th November 2006, 23:07   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Thanks for your advice. I'm planning to buy a Touareg or a Cayenne. Which would you suggest?
Dude, u crack me up! As for ur choice, might I suggest a nice Land rover Defender 110 "Delux"- a pre 2003 model.....
Old 28th November 2006, 11:24   #163
Senior - BHPian

Well I didnt buy this to sell it off Despite few nigles its a agile and able machine. I guess it will get better as time passes as Steer said.

I hate to say this..except the engine of scorpio nothing else compares to safari..(my personal opinion) I find scorpio way to cramped.. my colleague bought a scorpio and there is ages of difference in the ride quality between safari and scorpio..

Last edited by tsk1979 : 28th November 2006 at 11:52. Reason: no need for 2 posts her
Old 7th December 2006, 18:35   #164
Senior - BHPian

@rahul Hows the safari doing.Did you get the smoke problem rectified.
Also did you get those clearvisions.
Old 8th December 2006, 23:57   #165
Senior - BHPian

Hello All

Safari is doing OK

I havent got the vision plus yet coz i have been lazing around but definetly plan to get those sometime before 20th dec

As far as smoke problem, yes its gone to a extent ( not sure for how long )

Heres my story

Safari was at dealer workshop for 2 days and got it back today

Wednesday morning while coming to office, RHS window doesnt fully go up and jams (neither coming up or going down) so i land up at dealer workshop enroute to office at 9AM

Manage to catch hold of GM of the workshop who willingly looks interested at the problems and I dole out all the minor squeaks and major smoke prob + the steerring wheel being somewhat awkard and off the center.

He assure me that this will be immedietly taken care of and instructs the floor supervisor to have safari attended by someone senior mechanic.
10 mins a job card is created. next ten mins i get a lift to office in my vehicle.

I tried to forget safari for these two days and enjoy my colleagues new scorpio ride to and fro home -office. I had decided not to call at all the dealer wed and thurs.Today morning went directly to the workshop after i recvd a call around 11 am to come to collect the vehicle.

Boy it was quiet a few major surprises waiting for me

a. Steering wheel replaced (4K) due to manufac defect. during measuring the awkwardness of the wheel with verniar calliper they found it off by 10mm from the left side. I got a new steering wheel now

b. ECU errs cleared as per them and all sensors checked and confirmed.

result: a quieter engine and 50% reduction in smoke.

c. three sources of noises confirmed and corrected.
(a) undercarriage noise due to loose under body gearbox cover)
(b) silencer touching the chassis when starting or shuting down the engine
(c) ac pipes touching the main body and causing a very peculiar clatter when starting the engine (above the cluctch pedal behind the carpeted area ( corrected by putting some damping material between the pipe and the body and using a tie to keep it at some distance from the body
resulting in a much more quiter dicor heartbeat

d. while washing they manage to conk off both the fog lamps.
replaced free of cost because water got into them (pathetic quality of the fog lamps and its sealing ..g od knows who makes them for tata)

e. water manages to find way past rhs door imto the cabin. complete beading checked for the vehicle and corrected for the RHS door.

Costs incurred NULL

i have said to the courteous GM of the wksp that i will confirm if everything is ok nxt week and not in a day or so.

Nevertheless I am happy to have my babe back in a much better condition than before and I d proudly say that TATA's PDI (post delivey inspection) after customers find problems really works..

on the Serious note, i am glad that they atleast acknowledged the problems, I wish TATA's overhaul their quality team.

Thats all for now
Thanks
Closed Thread