Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 18th April 2007, 11:37   #211
Team-BHP Support

If you look at his report, parts replaced under warranty, you will see AC condenser, starter motor and oil seal. My indica has gone through these pains too., and lot more
I guess Tata has affinity for Lucas TVS who make real lousy spares.
Old 18th April 2007, 11:43   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I guess Tata has affinity for Lucas TVS who make real lousy spares.
On tangent, but, the TASS was blaming Mico FIP's yesterday.
Old 18th April 2007, 11:52   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
the guy stuck his hand into the right wheelwell, moved a flap and unscrewed the sensor first before removing the filter itself. When he took it out it was filled with kerosene and water.
Ah.. the benefits of adultrated fuel. Just keep a kerosene stove handy.. u could use it for cooking during one of those outdoor picnics. I doubt the water is potable though.
Old 18th April 2007, 12:02   #214
Senior - BHPian

off topic....A similar sensor for checking adulterated fuel is present in Palio D too. Once in a whil an indicator blinks for couple of seconds on the dashboard to indicate water or kerosene is found in the fuel. So far my car has completed 33000 KMS and i have only changes fuel filter at each service.
Old 18th April 2007, 12:10   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
off topic....A similar sensor for checking adulterated fuel is present in Palio D too. Once in a whil an indicator blinks for couple of seconds on the dashboard to indicate water or kerosene is found in the fuel. So far my car has completed 33000 KMS and i have only changes fuel filter at each service.
Yepp.. fuel pump for Palio D is made by Lucas-TVS as well.. I heard from the dealer that the fuel pump costs nothing less than Rs 40k !!
Old 18th April 2007, 14:24   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Costs so far:

1. Replacement of side-steps (runboards) after having scraped the plastic covers of the previous runboards - Rs.2,300.

2. First (10,000) service - Rs.1,400.

3. Second (15k) service - free because they had to replace the seal on the oil sump.

4. Third (20k) service - Rs.2,400 (includes change of transmission oil for both gearbox and transfercase, differential oil, and some other fluid - all scheduled 20k maintenance changes)

5. Replacement of rear brake liners - Rs.700.

Thats it. I havent spent anything more in the last one year. Bloody insurance costs more.
Well it's TATA and service and costs of parts will be less. BTW Isn't service interval after every 10K ?

Good to see ppl are happy with DICOR. I just saw 3 New dicors out of showrrom today

Last edited by abhibh : 18th April 2007 at 14:26.
Old 19th April 2007, 14:46   #217
BHPian

Default Re: Wizardofid

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofid View Post
I just happened to read this. I did not see any follow up threads talking about whether you managed to have this sorted out.

Did you pick up a used Safari or a new one? Is it a DiCor or the IDi-turbo? The problems seems like 'Back Compression', something that happens to ageing IDI diesel engines, and not one that we'd expect from a brand new vehicle. I had this problem with my MM540. check if the oil is leaking from the sump or from the space between the cylinder block and everything else - clutch bell housing/ transmission, etc.
Hi!

Thanks for your comments...

I bought a new dicor (feb2007 model). i've done about 2500kms so far.

i've take the vehicle for a checkup twice. there seems to be a very minor leak (2-3 drops overnight). All they do is tighten the nuts!

as for the smoke problem, the service engr says its normal as the engine is not able to burn the exessive fuel pumped into the entire on acceleration. i obviously dont buy that reasoning. i own bolero (4 yrs old) and that does not have such a problem.

probably need to escalate the issue the tata customer care and have their regional service mgr have a look. i just havent had the time to go for a check again...

take care
Old 19th April 2007, 16:12   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Yepp.. fuel pump for Palio D is made by Lucas-TVS as well.. I heard from the dealer that the fuel pump costs nothing less than Rs 40k !!
A Lucas FIP was quoted at 17K about a year back. Not 40K. There would be small differences, but this much?
Old 19th April 2007, 16:17   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Well it's TATA and service and costs of parts will be less. BTW Isn't service interval after every 10K ?
5k. In any case I run in for an oil change at every 5k. With most of my cars, including the Accent which had a 10k service interval.

UPDATE: Vehicle is back from service and the bill is Rs.7,100 or so. All inclusive - apparently there is some sort of discount of Rs.2,000 on the bill. My friend asked and was told its on account of the extended warranty.

I dont understand this extended warranty discount, but I'm not complaining.

Last edited by Steeroid : 19th April 2007 at 16:24.
Old 2nd May 2007, 21:24   #220
Senior - BHPian

I have noticed that the coolant in the aux tank is hovering around the minimum mark. Any ideas on this.. is this die to summer or a suspect coolant leakage happing..IF it really is a coolant leakage, how to make sure that its indeed and engine maybe in for a overhaul ?
Old 2nd May 2007, 22:34   #221
Team-BHP Support

I have not touched coolant for last 3 months and it is near Max, this is Delhi heat. Check the system for a leak.
The best way is to top up and see after 2-3 weeks
Old 3rd May 2007, 12:43   #222
BHPian

Hi
Steer, can you please let us know the email id to escalate the matters to Tata customer service to benefit all.

all thanks to all of you for suggestions for colors to choose I am planning for passion red or pearl white.

~Bruty
Old 3rd May 2007, 14:14   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have not touched coolant for last 3 months and it is near Max, this is Delhi heat. Check the system for a leak.
The best way is to top up and see after 2-3 weeks
Funny, I cant see any coolant leakages on the ground overnight, i think my dicor is gulping the coolant :( quietly.. Today morning, i came to office and checked the coolant level. It had gone below the min mark. I just returned from the parking lot just to see if the coolant was leaking and there are anydrops on the ground..but there were none

Called service station and told them the story and now want to check the car out..I think ill pay them a visit in the afternoon.

Team, do you think its really serious ?

Rahul
Old 3rd May 2007, 14:32   #224
Team-BHP Support

You will not find any coolant falling unless the source of the leak is towards the ground. If you have a small leak at the point where the hose pipe meets the coolant tank, it will evaporate away. Normally the cooling system is sort of airtight. IF you get a leak upwards its like driving with your radiator cap off. All your coolant will evaporate in absence of proper pressure in the system. Lower pressure means lower boiling point(remember using pressure cookers at high altitudes for proper cooking).

Normally the culprit is the joint between the hose pipe and the coolant reservoir, or the joint where the piping meets the radiator. Get it thoroughly checked. Overheating can drastically reduce engine life.

Also if you lose coolant your thermostat wont function properly and you won't even know your car is overheating(except for the performance drop). Since you are going for a check up, ask them to check engine oil. Overheating damages engine oil(synthetic is more resistant)
Old 3rd May 2007, 14:40   #225
Senior - BHPian

This was a common problem on the indica...the clip at the pipe to the coolant reservoir was always the culprit in my case. They would keep tightening it. If that is what is happening with you, don't tighten, have it replaced.

Drifter
Closed Thread