Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 8th April 2008, 13:10   #301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Tata vehicle with "below average reliability" has now touched the 50k mark and is nearly 3 years old.
I guess getting rid of perceptions is the biggest challenge. Even today people associate TATA with making "truck like cars" whereas one drive in the new Indica Dicor will be enough to drive home the point that this is THE best diesel hatch in the market today.

glad to see you are enjoying your Dicor to the hilt. the best thing is that the new 2.2 is proving to be even better than the 3.0. Time for a change Steer?

or better still, why not go in for a car with "good reliability", a.k.a. Scorpio instead
Old 8th April 2008, 13:22   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
the best thing is that the new 2.2 is proving to be even better than the 3.0. Time for a change Steer?
Time for a change, yes - the 2.2 has better plastics inside too, though I hate the beige colour. My truck is up for sale - if I get a good price I will go for the 2.2. If I dont, I stick with it.

As for the last part of your post, lets not go there please.
Old 8th April 2008, 13:58   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
My Tata vehicle with "below average reliability" has now touched the 50k mark and is nearly 3 years old.
Sure, now I understand why.

Quote:
I've tried my hardest to make it unreliable and give up on me sometime, but this hasnt happened despite my best efforts at throwing the vehicle around, straining the engine, etc.
You mean, like that 2-feet in-the-air jump we did? I was spellbound (Zak, if you are reading, this was one of the reasons I was silent... you see, the thought of a Safari 2.2 was running in the back of my mind all the time).

I am sure my sedan would not have survived that road the way it was taken.

Quote:
...both Zak and I made sure we did some clutch-burning shifts on the trip to Idukki recently.
Quote:
We also NEARLY toppled the Dicor off a sheer drop (not a cliff - there was a large excavation) when Sriram (Quicksilver) and I decided to explore what looked like an off-beat track on that trip to Idukki. Thankfully we noticed clear skies below road level before we actually cleared the crest .
that was a scarry one. We just drove merrily when we found a perfect off-beat track that seemed to be going over a cliff. Just when we were about to clear the cliff (at more than 35%), it just dropped off... there was an excavation for constructing activities.

I still remember the look on Steer's face when he drifted around the hairpin bends. Had a chance to learn some techniques too (like keeping the beast in the torque band so it does not run out of revs). Thanks Steeriod, for the eye-opener.

Quote:
I continue to wait for my truck to turn into a vehicle of less than average reliability.
Looks like it is not going to happen anytime soon...
Old 8th April 2008, 14:04   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... I continue to wait for my truck to turn into a vehicle of less than average reliability.
50k and your vehicle is still not giving you any trouble! What the hell! Guess you were given an orange instead of a lemon. Please take it up with TATA!

On a serious note, good going Steeroid. Your ride is keeping you happy, isn't it. Many more happy miles to you man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
...or better still, why not go in for a car with "good reliability", a.k.a. Scorpio instead
Oh yeah! Car!
Old 8th April 2008, 14:27   #305
BANNED

Great going Steeroid and congrats on the 50000 km mark. Your genuinely narrated initial experience was one of the reasons I went in for my 3.0 EX 4x4 in January 2007. I've done 31000 km in 14 months - the Safari munches kilometres like no other.
Old 8th April 2008, 14:31   #306
Senior - BHPian

Phew!! 50k kms in 3years..Incredible!! All driven by u during your visits??

Damn!! My zen has reached 58k kms in 8 years. lol
Old 8th April 2008, 15:39   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Phew!! 50k kms in 3years..Incredible!! All driven by u during your visits??

Damn!! My zen has reached 58k kms in 8 years. lol
Thats what happens when you "Torque and Drive" at the drop of a hat. This person does not need a reason to drive... the drive itself is reason enough.
Old 8th April 2008, 15:44   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
quicksilver : that was a scarry one. We just drove merrily when we found a perfect off-beat track that seemed to be going over a cliff. Just when we were about to clear the cliff (at more than 35%), it just dropped off...

I still remember the look on Steer's face ...
And the look said it all : "If I dont find a buyer, I'll find an insurer ! "
Old 8th April 2008, 17:11   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Yes it does seem like Team BHPians have developed a fancy for this vehicle with 'below average reliability'.
After reading your comments on another 'Initial Review' thread -- went to your gallery and came here. Good to hear that your safari is going strong!

So after warranty - how is the maintenance going to be?
Old 9th April 2008, 13:10   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My truck is up for sale - if I get a good price I will go for the 2.2. If I dont, I stick with it.
And what's your definition of good price?
Old 9th April 2008, 22:02   #311
BHPian

@Steer- I must really appreciate your efforts taken for maintaing this beauty in such a prestine condition.Saw your car twice two days before near Angamaly,Athani.Dunno if you noticed a blue lancer with teambhp sticker.I have seen your car a lot on the highways.Guess you are hardcrore tourer.... btw what price are you expecting.A friend of mine is looking for a Safari.
Old 9th April 2008, 22:51   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Update (please update title)

I've tried my hardest to make it unreliable and give up on me sometime, but this hasnt happened despite my best efforts at throwing the vehicle around, straining the engine, etc.

Hello Steer,

How do you say your vehicle is reliable as you yourself have mentioned the following replacements:
1. A/c coils develop a leak @ about 1000 kms. Coils replaced by Subros.

2. A/c switch doesnt work on '1' and '4'. Switch replaced by Subros.

3. Starter motor conks off one rainy day @ about 4,000 kms. Motor replaced by TVS.

4. A/c compressor fan bearings shot @ about 4,500 kms on the way to Bangalore. Fan assembly replaced by Subros. By now most of my HVAC has been replaced.

5. Wiring fault causes the alarm to go off one night, waking up the entire neighbourhood because the vehicle's horn is the alarm. Mended by Minda engineers next morning after I switch off the theft alarm and lock the car manually.

6. Cabin lights switch on and off randomly.

7. Front window glass panes rattle. Fixed.

You are lucky to get all this sorted for free. The AC is in my DICOR is not working ( No cooling at all even though the compress engages ). I have just completed 14,500 Kms, waiting to take it to service at 15,000.

One thing I am not sure with Tata's is that, is it not embrassing when such things happen when you take your guests on long trip ? Also, imagine having a baby and getting stranded on the highway without AC in Tamil nadu.
At one point, I was also all praise for Safari, but now I am having second thoughts. Please share more experience in terms of reliability so that I can know what to expect in the months to come
Old 10th April 2008, 10:07   #313
BHPian

Well, I too have doubts similar to what Power Ranger has expressed. The difference is that I dont own a Safari - yet. Have done 2-3 test drives already, and have gone through most Safari threads in team-bhp. The buy decision is still a few more months away, and Safari is a strong contender. I have a big family and space is important. And I really liked ( understatement, that ) the vehicle during the test drives.

What still bugs me is the large number of initial niggles ( some of them are not just niggles- some are major issues going by various posts ) the car has, and the longer-term reliability the car offers.

Three questions that will be critical for my purhase decision are:

- Has Tata improved its initial quality levels over the last couple of years? Surprisingly some of the 2.2 owners reported less number of initial quality problems. So is 2.2 a better product as far as initial quality goes?

- Is the response and proactiveness Tata showed in Steeroid's case is representative of a typical Tata a.s.s. experience, or does one have to consistently push, yell, manipulate, threaten and cajole to get their issues addressed ?

- Lastly, does the Safari age well? Steeroid's safari seem to have, going by the reports, but how is a 5 yr Safari going to be like, in terms of reliability? I have a 5 year old Santro and apart from a few scratches that i havent bothered to repair, the vehicle still remains fresh as far as feel is concerned.

Perhaps this is not the right thread to post this - mods pl move to an appropriate thread in that case.
Old 10th April 2008, 11:13   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
How do you say your vehicle is reliable as you yourself have mentioned the following replacements:
I say it is reliable because:

1. Issues I faced were until about 5k kms - since you've taken the issues from this very review I dont need to point out where exactly. My entire ownership experience is documented in this thread - why concentrate on the 5k post alone when I've completed 50k? Is the initial 10% of my ownership experience worth more than the balance 95%?

2. The vehicle has never let me down despite punishing drives across various terrain - and some of the drives would've broken lesser vehicles and left them limping long back.

We've driven through forests at the dead of the night, taken the truck through rocky riverbeds, up hills and rocks and various other places. It has NEVER EVER left us in the lurch or stopped on us. A few isolated rattles are hardly a price to pay for that kind of punishment.

Just as an example - during the last drive to Idukki, we hit a dip in the road at over 50 kmph as both Quicksilver and I were searching for the camera which we thought we'd left back at the last site - the vehicle went up 2 feet in the air and came crashing down a few meters ahead. ANY other vehicle would've had a bent/broken suspension component or a broken sump or several shaken aggregates - we inspected this one for damage and kept driving through bad roads and later that day we were doing 140kmph on the highway back to town.

This for me is reliability. Yes I had issues with the airconditioning and the electricials initially and that was the time when I wondered whether I had made the wrong choice, but when the issue was taken up with Tata Motors they arranged for a full checkup by their engineers over 3 days and thereafter I've hardly had any issues.

Last edited by Steeroid : 10th April 2008 at 11:25.
Old 10th April 2008, 11:25   #315
Team-BHP Support

I disagree here Steer.
the Safari LX 4x2 back home had problems in the first 5000kms of its life, and they were all rectified for free. But in a new vehicle such problems should not come.
For example my uncle got stranded on a lonely highway as the truck failed to start. It was some problem with the cam sensor and they had to call off the trip.
Sure at 30K kms its doing fine, but when somebody whose 3000kms new vehicle conks on the highway, they will not rate it "high on reliability".

As is the case with your vehicle, it has suffered a lot of faults, and many parts have been replaced.
This shows lack of QC. Anybody can fix a problem, but reliability means that problems should not come.

Your truck model batch was a gunea pig experiment by Tata, as was the indica with the initial batch.
You got lucky that your safari is behaving properly. There are quite a few safari members on this very board who had this "oil leak" problem.

Then there are members who had clutch plates changed at 10,000kms due to manufacturing defect, and another who had to get the propeller shaft replaced in the beginning of the safari experience.
sure after all the retrofits made it okay, but if a vehicle requires retro fits to become reliable, in my books the rank it would get is "Below average" reliability.

Sure safari is tough, can take abuse, is extremely comfortable, and may be sitting in my garage too sometime soon, but as far as reliability is concerned, I do not have very high expectations.
Closed Thread