Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 12th June 2008, 19:57   #361
BANNED

Go Steeroid go! I'm getting there - 33300 done so far.
Old 22nd June 2008, 18:55   #362
Senior - BHPian

Default Ssssshhhhhhhhhh !

This is what makes the noise (on the outside!):

Name:  SAN_0336.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  209.1 KB

Name:  SAN_0337.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  188.6 KB

The Green Storm filter is attached at the standard Airbox Mount Point. The Standard Airbox is HUUGE, so this really liberates quite a lot of space inside. The plumbing is straightforward and the air comes in from the grille through that huge tube. So perhaps it can be called a CAI.

I had some reservations on the pipe going straight thru to the grille, primarily worried about water intake, but then Matthew showed me where the original air intake ends up (inside the LHS Fender) and this is substantially higher.

The truck is obviously breathing a lot better. I havent been able to do a realistic assessment of performance gains, if any, primarily because we left immediately afterwards on the Monsoon D R I V E where I was carting 5 very healthy males + lots of luggage and 2 crates of beer. Not the most ideal situation to evaluate a change in performance, but the truck was breathing a lot better at lower speeds in higher gears - the intake boom that was present at certain rpms (very small band of about 100 rpm or so) in such situations has totally disappeared, so it was a breathing issue!

I must add here that I got a very good rate from Peter. I did not ask him for the price before we decided to put this on, I just drove into International Hotel and asked them to plonk in a Green Storm. After installation I asked for the bill, by when Matthew had noticed the Team BHP stickers on the car - he asked me for my TBHP handle before asking Peter and then told me that they've given me a dealer rate. No discounts were asked for - way to go, Pete.

Last edited by Steeroid : 22nd June 2008 at 19:12.
Old 22nd June 2008, 20:16   #363
Senior - BHPian

Look forward to the review, here's an exploded view:

Name:  1_1.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  32.5 KB
Old 23rd June 2008, 17:41   #364
Senior - BHPian

Steer

The removal of airbox surely has relieved a lot of space there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
This is what makes the noise (on the outside!):
only outside but why ?

have you done anything regarding the sound proofing ?

Please post some details of that too.

would be much appreciated.

thanks
Old 23rd June 2008, 18:07   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
have you done anything regarding the sound proofing ?
I have an awesome memory (takes a bow )
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...tml#post633264
Old 23rd June 2008, 18:13   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
I have an awesome memory
indeed,thanks a lot.

But i would still need some more details on this Sound Proofing job and possibly the people who can do this in NCR.

will wait for Steer
Old 23rd June 2008, 18:25   #367
Senior - BHPian

Sorry I havent done any soundproofing. The Green Storm filter comes with the casing (as detailed in Dadu's post with the very helpful illustration) and therefore it suppresses the noise unlike the K&N that I tried my luck with earlier. The casing suppresses noise and the tube that brings in air from the outside also ensures that there's no intake sound inside the engine bay.

You dont hear anything inside - those outside the vehicle only hear a very cool and slightly menacing "SSSSSSHHHHHHHH" as the vehicle approaches.
Old 23rd June 2008, 18:29   #368
Senior - BHPian

Steer - I recollect the OE Safari filter is rather HUGE. And this one seems rather small.

Just wanted to know if this Green filter has the ability to better that given its combination of surface area and filtering /breathing ability? I mean have you been shown any test figures?

Last edited by kb100 : 23rd June 2008 at 18:31.
Old 23rd June 2008, 18:38   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Steer - I recollect the OE Safari filter is rather HUGE. And this one seems rather small.
The casing is huge - the paper element inside isnt. I suspect the casing is huge either (1) to keep intake noise levels down or (2) because that is the way they have been building air filters for ages now and cant be bothered to change.

My original plan was to have the K&N mounted inside the original casing after removing the OE paper element and modifying it suitably. However this never worked out because I was never in India for long enough. When I saw the Green Storm and compared it in size to the K&N it is nearly the same, plus it came with a casing by default.

Besides, take a look at the inlet to the huge metal case that houses the OE filter - the box itself is big, but the inlet tube (from the left fender) is rather tiny in comparison. Makes you wonder why you need such a large box on top of such a tiny inlet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Just wanted to know if this Green filter has the ability to better that given its combination of surface area and filtering /breathing ability? I mean have you been shown any test figures?
I havent seen any test figures. Even if test figures were made available by the vendor I'm sure those would be in favour of their filter - then I would need independent verification of those results. I dont want to go down that road.

As far as I'm concerned there are a few Safaris I know of that are running this filter, as there are Innovas and Scorpios (including my friend's taxi mHawk). None of them are unhappy with their purchase and they havent had issues. This is good enough for me.

Last edited by Steeroid : 23rd June 2008 at 18:41.
Old 23rd June 2008, 18:42   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

See that when you give for service etc as people will try to pull the 'capot' to see the filter without properly releasing it. This can cause the 'clip/lock' of Embase to break. It happened to mine.

Hope Zak drives it down to Tvm soon or I drive down to Cochin to check it.

Edit:

The bigger box for some reserve air? Remember Sankar describing about reserve air thingy when we were modifying bikes with new air filters.

Last edited by jkdas : 23rd June 2008 at 18:48.
Old 23rd June 2008, 18:52   #371
Senior - BHPian

How hard is to remove and again re fit the filter ?

i'm thinking of such an arrangement where we can take it off(again fitting that airbox) before giving for service.

Of course TASS guys will start complaining of Warranty going void after seeing this.
Old 23rd June 2008, 18:58   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
How hard is to remove and again re fit the filter ?

i'm thinking of such an arrangement where we can take it off(again fitting that airbox) before giving for service.

Of course TASS guys will start complaining of Warranty going void after seeing this.
Piece of cake - you can do it yourself. All you need is a screwdriver and 3 spanners.

If they are WAITING for an excuse to void Warranty then they will definitely crib about it. However, I doubt if that is the case with TML or at least with my dealer.

How can they void our warranty when we are paying members of their Product Development team?
Old 23rd June 2008, 19:12   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Piece of cake - you can do it yourself. All you need is a screwdriver and 3 spanners.
so Pete distributes GreenStorm in india,shall i contact him directly?

Quote:
However, I doubt if that is the case with TML or at least with my dealer.
my dealer (Nawab Motors) has closed in march end,so already having trouble with servicing.

Quote:
How can they void our warranty when we are paying members of their Product Development team?
that was indeed hilarious
Old 23rd June 2008, 19:32   #374
BHPian

Steer, how much did the filter cost?
Old 23rd June 2008, 19:40   #375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The bigger box for some reserve air? Remember Sankar describing about reserve air thingy when we were modifying bikes with new air filters.
Not just bikes Jk airbox design is pretty important in all the modern engines. While choosing after market performance filters, like the conical filter, the filter you buy should have more surface area than the stock filter. Ideally with much larger surface area since the airbox is being tossed away.

Edit: Imo a car like Swift needs Storm instead of the Wind and Steer's Dicor needs an ever bigger filter.

Last edited by Sankar : 23rd June 2008 at 19:41.
Closed Thread