Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 23rd June 2008, 19:49   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
so Pete distributes GreenStorm in india,shall i contact him directly?

that was indeed hilarious
Yes. Check auto mags, he may have dealers near you place too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Not just bikes Jk airbox design is pretty important in all the modern engines. While choosing after market performance filters, like the conical filter, the filter you buy should have more surface area than the stock filter. Ideally with much larger surface area since the airbox is being tossed away.

Edit: Imo a car like Swift needs Storm instead of the Wind and Steer's Dicor needs an ever bigger filter.
emm, but dont you think coz of how its designed will take care of the area issue?
Old 23rd June 2008, 20:09   #377
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
emm, but dont you think coz of how its designed will take care of the area issue?
No mate surface area is surface area.

To get an approximate idea as to what size filter your car needs do this simple experiment. Measure the length and the breadth of the stock panel filter. Measure the outer circumference of the after market conical/universal filter if the circumference matches the length of the panel filter then it should be adequate. And the height of the conical/universal filter can be compared to the breadth of the panel filter. Choose one which has a larger or equivalent (atleast) surface area as the OE, don't go smaller.

But then most panel filters are paper element so it's restrictive by nature. If not installing a big enough conical/universal filter it's best to go for the K&N or Green OE replacement filters that fit inside the airbox and with a few mods to the airbox it will be as good or better.

This would apply to all the new generation cars with properly designed airboxes.
Old 23rd June 2008, 22:20   #378
Team-BHP Support

A) Sankar is correct, surface area matter in case of air flow, designs varies but the overall area should be larger than stock to make it better. As steer posted the box size might be misleading if the actual filter is small. Reserve air space will help for that few millisecs (sudden throttle) where additional air is needed, but it again depends on the air intake area which will help to retain the buffer amount of air with adequate flow. So the air box area doesnt really help beyond a limit, and then again intake boom/resonance also will start if too big.

B) Routing the pipe for Green to the grill is slightly risky since the rain water can get sucked in, especially if a collection area and drainage point is not designed. This is one of the most imp design advantage which a stock air box has. Stock intake area inside the fender is again a CAI, only diff is it might not get a forced air draft (but usually some air routing is factored in behind the grill or headlights) and then the slight restriction due to the tube bend. I feel in real world, heavy rains are more a possibility than flooding through water higher than the trucks wheels.
Old 23rd June 2008, 23:41   #379
Senior - BHPian

This was my understanding as well.

I have not seen the actual OE Safari airfilter - but to me this one seemed a tad small - hence the question!
Old 23rd June 2008, 23:45   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
I have not seen the actual OE Safari airfilter - but to me this one seemed a tad small - hence the question!
Well, it works. Pretty well, too. Better than the OE air filter, anyway. The reduction in intake boom at a single point in the revband (barely noticeable unless you keep driving steadily at that rpm) is a bonus too.

I had questions on the 'straight thru' plumbing too, perhaps it makes sense to bend it downwards at the very end, which will still let it breath cold(er) air. For now, anyway, the deed is done.
Old 24th June 2008, 07:47   #381
Distinguished - BHPian

The OE filter will be very similar to this one. Abput 12" long & 5.5" wide. Guess you get the idea.
Attached Images

Old 23rd July 2008, 00:31   #382
Senior - BHPian

Default Owners Mannual for Tata Safari

Not sure if everyone is aware that the Owners Mannuals for Tata Safari and other variants is available for download as pdf files from this site
Tata Motors Customer Care :: Owner's Manual

Old 23rd July 2008, 01:14   #383
Senior - BHPian

Clocked 55k today and I'm loving this truck for the immense amount of punishment it can take. This is now officially the most mileage I have done on any of my cars till date and the longest I've held on to a vehicle across Hondas, Toyotas, Nissan, Proton, Seat, VW, Merc, Ford, Alfa Romeo, Chevrolet, Smart and of course my recent Jaguar.

I've just returned a gruelling 780 kms return trip today (staring morning 5 am), Bangalore-Quilandy-Bangalore through pouring rain, some potholes, lots of unmarked speedbreakers, 4-land highways, forests and twisty mountain ghats. And I'm still feeling good enough to post this after driving all day long. That should tell you how comfortable the driver is!

For the record, I changed my front brakepads yet again yesterday since we had this journey coming up today. I wanted my brakes in top condition and there were only 2-3 mm left on the pads when I checked them. Rs.2,300 including labour, everything done in half an hour after office hours by Manipal Motors, Airport Road. They did a fantastic job after receiving an urgent request from the Works Manager at RF Motors in Cochin to have my brakes checked.

Also had the Osram headlamps changed to Mico at Sultan Battery midway through the return journey - the Osram 90/100s were horribly out of focus and spread all around the country. After 15 minutes of trying to make them focus, the MASS service advisor decided to try chaning the lamps to Mico 90/100s and they worked like magic.

I swear by this vehicle - it did a similar trip in 9 hours from Cochin to Bangalore, carrying luggage for 5 persons and 2 patients including their hospital equipment, and 3 passengers in good comfort.

Last edited by Steeroid : 23rd July 2008 at 01:21.
Old 23rd July 2008, 09:23   #384
Team-BHP Support

Speaking of comfort, what is this "lumbar support adjustment" the owners manual talked about. While doing TD I saw only height adjustment, backrest adjustment and seat front back movement adjustment. i.e. three levers only. The owners manual shows a smallish lever up in the back area for "Lumbar support adjustment".
Old 23rd July 2008, 09:39   #385
Senior - BHPian

Its like only the middle part of the seat bulges out slightly to support your backbone and you can adjust this bulge using this lever. Its like someone is keep a hand on your backbone to that it stays straight from within the seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Speaking of comfort, what is this "lumbar support adjustment" the owners manual talked about. While doing TD I saw only height adjustment, backrest adjustment and seat front back movement adjustment. i.e. three levers only. The owners manual shows a smallish lever up in the back area for "Lumbar support adjustment".
Old 23rd July 2008, 10:11   #386
Distinguished - BHPian

The lumbar support lever will be near the center of the backrest, behind your left elbow (for driver) and right elbow (co-driver). This will be on the inner side-wall of the seat back-rest.
Old 23rd July 2008, 10:16   #387
Senior - BHPian

In safari its on the outer side-wall towards the doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The lumbar support lever will be near the center of the backrest, behind your left elbow (for driver) and right elbow (co-driver). This will be on the inner side-wall of the seat back-rest.
Old 23rd July 2008, 10:31   #388
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
dadu : In safari its on the outer side-wall towards the doors.
Did they swap seats somewhere, any chance ?
Old 23rd July 2008, 11:10   #389
Team-BHP Support

So which versions of Safari have it?
does the EX have it or only the VX?
Old 23rd July 2008, 11:47   #390
BANNED

All versions of Safari Dicors have this adjustment for lumbar support.

Look at the pic below, sorry i could not get a good shot of that lever.
Attached Images

Closed Thread