Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 23rd January 2009, 04:06   #436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike View Post

During the TD, revved the car to check the handling.. WOW...Now it handles well... enjoyed a 01-15 km long zig zag drive thru the traffic in the highway! Then a very disturbing sound started coming up whenever I pushed it above 2.5k rpm.. "hissing" like sound from the turbo area... told them to check the turbo and filter pipings as it was something like an air sucking sound! They stripped the turbo pipings.. and there it is.... turbo's intake body is holding in place just with the help of a single bolt! The one who worked earlier on that item had destroyed the inside threads of 3 threaded holes!! So had to make new threads and put the body back tightly. Solved!

to be continued..
Nikki, One wishes everyone had a friend like you. Knowledgeable and helpful, these are great qualities to come by in the same person. Without you Steer would have had many more sleepless nights and ran from pillar to post to get his Safari back to glory, or worse, sold it !
Old 23rd January 2009, 07:23   #437
BHPian

Wow the dream went through so much pain to resolve. Safari being the most expensive in the Tata lineup better had experienced techs handle it. Some not so thorough dealers with incompetent techs can ruin the image of a potent vehicle as well as a caring company.

Steer with all the communication that you have had with the TATA leadership, have you thought of bringing the entire chorus to their notice with a perspective similar to one shared on the forum. This may probably help TATA’s fix some of the problems with the dealer leading to better days for other unsuspecting owners in the vicinity. Pardon my ignorance if this was mentioned on the thread & I missed.

Hope you have the truck run like a dream for as long as you like!!
Old 23rd January 2009, 17:21   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Nikki, One wishes everyone had a friend like you. Knowledgeable and helpful, these are great qualities to come by in the same person. Without you Steer would have had many more sleepless nights and ran from pillar to post to get his Safari back to glory, or worse, sold it !
Thanks mate!
Do anyone need assistance for automotive needs?? Come to kochi and meet US!! We few auto nuts are available for anything and everything automobiles! he he hee....

Well... lemme continue the story!!

Last day of service at Hightech motors, told them to wash the underbody properly and thoroughly to see any rust catching up which need any attention. Well.... here I salute TATA for quality! They use really good steel which last a decade atleast! This is from my experience of owning a first gen Sumo and V2 Indica! Both was like fresh when I sold both after doing 1.5 lakh kms!

Took delivery of the truck and thatz when JayD came to pick his white wall tyres from the MRF T&S agent I mentioned earlier. Told him to TD the car and he was like stunned! Says its completely a new car now... he has driven it juz a week before it went in for repairs.. and the present condition juz blew him away! No side pullings, no rattlings, car handles well and what not!!! He was seen happily driving it for long!
The next day was a rest day for the car. Third day I thought of redoing the driver side sun film as it was torn badly! Drove straight to meet Ashvin as I had to pick K&N filter from him. Told him to drive it and see... "Maaaaaaan... the steering is responsive now"!!! That was his first comment! These two guys know much about the car as they have driven it more than me and thatz the reason why i wanted them to drive it and comment!

After few more rest days and a night local drive on last sunday, the car is now with Concorde for transfer case issue. One of my good friend who is working there is taking care of her well now. It has a week transfer case drive motor now(i doubt this also - how can a very rarely used 65k done car's motor go week??) and needs replacement. He is trying to get it done under 'Extended Warranty'. Have told him check the brake system also. Biting of brake happens only at a very lower point when pedal is pressed! I guess this is a booster issue as this car has a 'zero play' brake pedal and a 'Lock Concious' regulator valve!

Hopefully.. the car will be back in normal condition once it is back from concorde! Good to note that Santhosh has decided to keep it private from now onwards!

cheers:

Last edited by nikkibike : 23rd January 2009 at 17:26.
Old 23rd January 2009, 17:52   #439
BANNED

Hmmm.. A very long, great journey of a Safari.

Knowing this Safari and Steer personally, I understand his love for this truck. The way he drives it may make one think that he is born to trash this thingy (like I do with my Qualis). But he has also spent lots of time, effort and money to keep it in good shape and the way he wanted it to be.
Unfortunately, a miss here and there. The vehicle went thru the worst in it's whole lifetime I can say.
Now, we'll all be glad to see the 9800 back in full form!

Nikki! How about taking care of a japanese beauty with some extra grunt and muscles?
Old 24th January 2009, 10:28   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Nikki! How about taking care of a japanese beauty with some extra grunt and muscles?
MY PLEASURE SAAAAAAAAAARRRRR....

Hmm.... back to Safari!
Just now got a call from Concorde saying the motor is fine and works perfect with another car! They suspect some issue in the 4L area where a huge resistance develops to engage gears! Anyways.. told them to find out the root cause and call me. Planning to visit concorde in the afternoon.
Will be updated further after that!
Old 24th January 2009, 12:40   #441
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

In all its year with me, my Safari was serviced at Focuz Motors, EKM except once in their Alleppey centre. The Alleppey service was definitely not upto the mark for Safari. Their Kottayam centre did an accident repair work perfectly the one instance when I rear ended a KSRTC bus. My Indica and the Marina have been almost exclusively service by Focuz Motors, Alleppey aftre the service centre came into existence.

With the 2 wheel drive Safari, I never ver faced any breakdowns and have never had to visit a service centre for other than routine services.
Old 25th January 2009, 06:58   #442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
With the 2 wheel drive Safari, I never ver faced any breakdowns and have never had to visit a service centre for other than routine services.
Sir

I really doubt if it has anything to do with the vehicle being 2-wheel drive or 4x4.

If maintained properly by a set of people who KNOW what they're doing, the vehicle gives you no trouble at all.

The fact that my truck has of late felt worse AFTER it came out of the Service Centre says a lot about this particular dealership and their service setup.
Old 27th January 2009, 12:36   #443
BHPian

Default Visit

Had a talk with my friend at concorde. They are now checking the ECU now! Says.. they have doubts on the signals from ECU!
He has doubt with the validity of Extended Warranty too!

Anyways... me and Ashvin are visiting the garage to see the happenings!
Will update further after that!
cheers:

Last edited by nikkibike : 27th January 2009 at 12:40.
Old 27th January 2009, 12:57   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had a talk with my friend at concorde. They are now checking the ECU now! Says.. they have doubts on the signals from ECU!
The generic engine management ECU or the specific CU for the 4x4 unit? There are two.
Old 27th January 2009, 15:16   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
The generic engine management ECU or the specific CU for the 4x4 unit? There are two.
They are checking the mail ECU! As i said before, the control line is earth and so they are suspecting something connected to a loose earth or so! Seems like the signals are getting broke or getting weaker when try to engage 4L! Lets wait and see...

The rear right combination light has been changed and will work on the brake system after finishing this work
cheers:
Old 27th January 2009, 15:40   #446
Team-BHP Support

So looks like you are selling your truck

Used 2005 Tata Safari 4x4 EX DICOR - BS III for sale in Ernakulam - Profile Id : S29026 - CarWale.com
Old 27th January 2009, 15:49   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Nope.

That ad was put there a long time back - when I was looking to buy Turbanman's 2.2 VX 4x4, to be precise.

Never bothered taking the ad off. Must do so now, but the trouble is that I've forgotten my CarWale id :(

EDIT: The login is the email addresss, thank god. Listing removed, thanks for the reminder.

Interestingly, there seem to have been inquiries as late at 15 Jan!

Last edited by Steeroid : 27th January 2009 at 15:54.
Old 30th January 2009, 17:00   #448
BHPian

Lightbulb

Just had a talk with the guy in Concorde. Says he will call in the evening with a "surprise & shocking report" of the diagnostics/findings connected with the transfer case issue. They have checked complete wiring harness and sensors and have found out that many of the connectors are not making proper contacts!!!

Seems like "kids" at RF did a ball game with the car during its looooong stint there for engine repair!!
Old 30th January 2009, 17:24   #449
BANNED

Huh!
This is getting really irritating and over the limits.
One thing is for sure, 2008 was really a bad for Steer's vehicles.

Good thing they diagnosed it by now. Will wait for more details.
Old 30th January 2009, 17:36   #450
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Seems like "kids" at RF did a ball game with the car during its looooong stint there for engine repair!!
Hope its not connector quality issues, electricals never was a strong point for them, unless they were searching for something in the trasfer case for an engine problem
Closed Thread