Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 6th February 2009, 23:30   #466
BHPian

Default How to keep a Tata/Fiat in Good Condition In Cochin ?

KEEP IT AWAY FROM RF MOTORS.

Lesson learned the hard way, but it's a major relief to hear that Concorde is doing a great job(at least for now)

Oh can nikkibike and Steer compile a list of things that might have been "Replaced" by RF during her lengthy services ? And Mr.Chikku , you did a great job on the Safari, an even better job on the Landy.

Last edited by muneemmk : 6th February 2009 at 23:34.
Old 6th February 2009, 23:48   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Great job and thank you, Chikku.
Thankyou Sir! Now PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE... take very good care of her from today onwards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Nikki, you are getting identified with that truck as much as Steer himself !
Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
And Mr.Chikku , you did a great job on the Safari, an even better job on the Landy.
JAI JAI TEAM BHP!! Am happy that am a member of this forum!
cheers!
Old 7th February 2009, 00:29   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Just drove the truck around for the whole of today, and needless to say I'm astounded by the change.

When nikki said the truck is back in showroom condition, he really meant it! In many ways, it is also BETTER than showroom condition.
Congrats for getting your truck back the way you love it. Am sure you are going to test it in Wayanad off-roads.

Quote:
The clutch - INCREDIBLE is the only word for the clutch feel, it is as good and as soft as that on a petrol vehicle.
Is the clutch better than your Defender's? or the Defender has also become better?

Come to think of it - It is funny that both your trucks had some serios clutch problems at the same time!
Old 17th February 2009, 15:37   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
Congrats for getting your truck back the way you love it. Am sure you are going to test it in Wayanad off-roads.

Update - yes we did test it in Wayanad, on the way there and on the return journey. The truck handles BEAUTIFULLY, better than it had ever done and better than it did after Psycho's suspension job early in its life.

That said, the handling is at the cost of some off-roading ability as the front has been dropped. I did my regular 'driving in the paddy fields' stunt in Palghat and while we couldnt check out traction (dry paddy fields) the truck did scrape the bottom on a few occassions - no components, only the aluminium side-steps/running boards and the engine shield - while climbing up from the lower fields to the ones on a higher level across a small bund. So yes I've lost a bit of ground clearance because this is something I could do effortlessly earlier.

Everything else about the truck is TIGHT. The tailgate developed some small queaks after we threw it around a bit, and this is because the rubber bushes on the door-locks are worn out after all these years - will be easy to fix.

The engine is running super smooth, the gears are fine and the clutch is easy. There's nothing wrong with the vehicle anymore - it drives straight, brakes straight and holds its line even in the tightest of curves. If you still want to throw it around such tight turns at higher speeds, 4H is very useful and will let you throw those 2 tonnes around without losing it.

Quote:
Is the clutch better than your Defender's?
The clutch is as smooth as those on petrol cars around here. And that is saying something - the chap at Concorde says that all it requires is regular greasing of the joint above the pedal!

Quote:
or the Defender has also become better?

Come to think of it - It is funny that both your trucks had some serios clutch problems at the same time!
The Defender's clutch was rock hard. It was THE toughest clutch I've ever used in my life - and I've driven quite a few vehicles.

That said, you must also remember that we did our last 6 desert drives (every weekend after the Defender was bought) with ZERO clutch - Ayoub opened her up and showed me the clutch plate which had its friction pads AND the metal worn out - the plate was almost like a bowl with all that stress. I will drive it tomorrow with the new clutch, when I will be in a position to comment on the difference.
Old 17th February 2009, 15:53   #470
Senior - BHPian

Good to hear that the truck is back in shape now. Now, a quick question -after all that has happened, you are going to let RF get away scot free?
Old 17th February 2009, 16:38   #471
BANNED

4H on tarmac? Even on a winding road. Why?
Old 23rd February 2009, 19:37   #472
Senior - BHPian

Will return from 68k service today, all is well. Full engine flush is required, my Cat Con replacement is overdue but it still seems to be doing the job with a periodic clean-up ( - ever heard of catcons being 'cleaned'?), but I suspect we will have to replace sooner rather than later - it was due for replacement at 50k if I'm not mistaken.

Did only one long run this time around, though (not counting the Wayanad trip) - Shornur-Vellore-Shornur-Cochin in about 15.30 hours including the hospital visit.

She's a beauty once again, invincible on the highways as before! I wouldnt part with this truck for a while. Had a tough past year, but we've hopefully put it behind us.

Last edited by Steeroid : 23rd February 2009 at 19:51.
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:26   #473
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Silly Question- what happens if you just get rid of the Catcon? will you be trying that?
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:32   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Silly Question- what happens if you just get rid of the Catcon?

Fail the pollution tests!!!
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:33   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Now, a quick question -after all that has happened, you are going to let RF get away scot free?
They havent. Trust me on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
4H on tarmac? Even on a winding road. Why?
Straightens out curves dramatically. Very very effective - you must try this out (but not for long and not at 80+ kmph like our good friend TSK)

Quote:
Silly Question- what happens if you just get rid of the Catcon? will you be trying that?
Maybe we should try this - I suspect it might smoke a lot though. nikki's gonna kill you for giving me more ideas.
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:40   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LOL, if you've fried your conscience in oil many years ago, you can do that!

Otherwise, as we all know, this is the land of freedoms! Free for all and do as you please!
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:42   #477
BHPian

Nice to hear godo things about your truck Steer. I hope all the bad luck is finally over with your cars!

We were speeding up on way back from Wayanad after that delayed start and was a bit disappointed that we could not catch your truck in action. Hope to see it in action sometime soon in another one of our famed D R I V Es.
Old 23rd February 2009, 23:05   #478
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Fail the pollution tests!!!
Yes I know, but wanted to see if it makes any difference in performance.
Old 23rd February 2009, 23:26   #479
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Straightens out curves dramatically. Very very effective - you must try this out (but not for long and not at 80+ kmph like our good friend TSK).
From what I know you should not try 4WD mode on tarmac, irrespective of the speed, whether its 8 80 or 800kmph
Old 24th February 2009, 00:11   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
From what I know you should not try 4WD mode on tarmac, irrespective of the speed, whether its 8 80 or 800kmph
Has been discussed about 2 years ago, check post #s 102, 104 and 106 on this thread.
Closed Thread