Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2009, 09:09   #511
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,975
Thanked: 2,497 Times
Default

The DVD player on the headrest. Is it the OEM Tata unit or is it aftermarket?
4x4addict is offline  
Old 11th April 2009, 12:22   #512
BHPian
 
muneemmk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cochin
Posts: 809
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

It's got a DVD player behind the LCD screen.
muneemmk is offline  
Old 11th April 2009, 12:37   #513
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 68
Thanked: Once
Default

Hey, it is a very nicely and a detailed review. Can be really helpful. Interests me a lot since it is one of my favourite 4x4s.
T_Girl is offline  
Old 11th April 2009, 12:54   #514
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
And Opera? What does this connect to?
Nothing - they are 2 stand-alone units (that can be connected to the HU for sound if required). Each of those screens has its own DVD player, speakers, FM transmitter, headphone outlets, PS & USB connectors + wired gaming controllers. Not sure of this but I think it has bluetooth connectivity for wireless speakers too.

Frankly this is not something I would've wanted to do, and I dont see this being used very often. Its just that a 10-year-old was so taken up by this during a visit to Dragon Mart - the fact that it was really cheap helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The DVD player on the headrest. Is it the OEM Tata unit or is it aftermarket?
Nope, as mentioned above its a 10" screen+player (OEM is a 7" screen-only unit) from Dragon Mart - a large, kilometer long mall only for chinese stuff on the outskirts of Dubai where you get practically everything that is ever made in China.

Last edited by Steeroid : 11th April 2009 at 12:57.
Steeroid is offline  
Old 11th April 2009, 17:49   #515
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,975
Thanked: 2,497 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Nope, as mentioned above its a 10" screen+player (OEM is a 7" screen-only unit) from Dragon Mart - a large, kilometer long mall only for chinese stuff on the outskirts of Dubai where you get practically everything that is ever made in China.
Does it fit in the standard headrests or did you have to change the headrests?
4x4addict is offline  
Old 12th April 2009, 13:00   #516
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Does it fit in the standard headrests or did you have to change the headrests?
It comes as a headrest with the screen and player embedded - you merely lift the original headrest out and plonk this one in (you also have to do the wiring, which is pretty simple).
Steeroid is offline  
Old 12th April 2009, 13:06   #517
BHPian
 
overdose14's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Brampton,Canada
Posts: 159
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I see that center console color is changed,
can you please tell me how you did that,
even i plan to do that.
thanks
overdose14 is offline  
Old 12th April 2009, 13:20   #518
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose14 View Post
I see that center console color is changed,
can you please tell me how you did that,
even i plan to do that.
thanks
Carbon fibre sheets stuck on.

Its expensive and you dont really have to go for real carbon fibre - you will get carbon-fibre patterned vinyl which you can stick on. The difference can only be made out by feel - the look is exactly the same.
Steeroid is offline  
Old 12th April 2009, 13:33   #519
BHPian
 
overdose14's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Brampton,Canada
Posts: 159
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Carbon fibre sheets stuck on.

Its expensive and you dont really have to go for real carbon fibre - you will get carbon-fibre patterned vinyl which you can stick on. The difference can only be made out by feel - the look is exactly the same.
thanks a lot
are those vinyl sheets available in india? (i'm currently in canada).
and one more thing, how have mounted those compo's on front door.
i too plan to get my safari back in shape when i'll visit india and what do you think of mounting amplifiers beneath the front of rear seat.
in your opinion which is the best place to place amplifiers other then below front seats.
overdose14 is offline  
Old 12th April 2009, 13:40   #520
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose14 View Post
are those vinyl sheets available in india? (i'm currently in canada).
I believe they are (or so Blue Thunder told me while installing the Carbon Fibre sheets) but are difficult to find.


Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose14 View Post
and one more thing, how have mounted those compo's on front door.
i too plan to get my safari back in shape when i'll visit india and what do you think of mounting amplifiers beneath the front of rear seat.
in your opinion which is the best place to place amplifiers other then below front seats.
I'm not an ICE guy - I suggest you put this query somewhere in the vast ocean that is the ICE forum. I really have no idea what to put in and where - I just know when it doesnt sound quite right.
Steeroid is offline  
Old 18th June 2009, 22:55   #521
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default Tata Safari 30000km service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

Update & Notice to Dicor owners
- vehicle has gone in for 30k Service. Fuel Filter (Diesel Filter) assembly will be REPLACED and it Costs Rs.7,400/-. My friend says it is some kind of two-piece assembly consisting of a filter and an electronic sensor.

MODS PLEASE UPDATE TITLE TO 30,000 KMS.
The same implies to 2.2L also.

For records

kp ! remember?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Phew!! 50k kms in 3years..Incredible!! All driven by u during your visits??

Damn!! My zen has reached 58k kms in 8 years. lol

Last edited by jkdas : 18th June 2009 at 23:00.
jkdas is offline  
Old 19th June 2009, 09:07   #522
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

Update & Notice to Dicor owners
- vehicle has gone in for 30k Service. Fuel Filter (Diesel Filter) assembly will be REPLACED and it Costs Rs.7,400/-. My friend says it is some kind of two-piece assembly consisting of a filter and an electronic sensor.

MODS PLEASE UPDATE TITLE TO 30,000 KMS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The same implies to 2.2L also.

For records

kp ! remember?
Hey I am producing an extract of my service bill at 25K kms and the diesel filter in my 2.2 was only 2200 bucks. then is it a different product or something else. If you want I can checkout my bill and post the part number as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Update on the service

I clocked 25k+ on the ODO last month and got the service done from A-One Motors, Rama Road, Delhi
The service was done on 11/02/2009 and the ODO was on 25422 kms

The details of the service/ bill are as follows
  • Oil Filter assembly (161.78)
  • Air Filter element (644.44)
  • Fuel Filter Delphi assy. (2163.56)
  • Diesel Engine Oil CH4 15W40 Castrol GTX 7.7liters (1796.64)
  • Differential oil EP 84W140 Castrol 2.2liters (403.33)
  • White petroleum jelly (4.8)
  • Transpower TQ powersteering Oil Castrol 0.25liters (44.58)
  • Tow Hook cover (48)
  • Bulb 12V 21/5W (46.22)
  • Check A/C system (FOC)
  • CHeck & Adjust idle speed (FOC)
  • 3rd free service (ENG O/F+DIFF/OIL+A/F+F/F)
  • Clean Catalytic Filter (250)
  • Brake Pads Clean (350)
  • Wheel Alignment (350)
  • 20% VAT on Parts 448.92
  • @12.5% VAT on Parts 383.60
  • service tax/Edu cess 117.42
Total 7213.29

harjeev is offline  
Old 19th June 2009, 10:19   #523
BHPian
 
nikkibike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: QoAS
Posts: 523
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
the diesel filter in my 2.2 was only 2200 bucks.
Well.. It costed so much looong back. But TATA's has reduced its price later and so your invoice shows the present cost of that item. Lucky you!
nikkibike is offline  
Old 20th June 2009, 13:47   #524
BHPian
 
discoverwild's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 682
Thanked: 951 Times
Default

Phew! That was over 4 hours of engrossed reading.

A special mention to Nikkibike, a friend like you is a Godsend. Maybe I should buy my Safari here and get it to you for advice and Concorde for service. You asked for it !!

I love the Tatas for their reliability like Steeroid mentions here. I remember way back in 1998, I did the old Munnar to Kodaikanal route via Mattupetty Dam in a 2WD Sierra NA, 5 of us, with two spares and luggage. There was no road. From the checkpost, the initial climb up took 2 hours for a distance of 4 kms! The total journey of 60 kms lasted 5 hours. We practically did everything, climbed over broken trees, dug our way through slush, waded waters that were over the door sills. I even remember sitting on the left front seat and driving to avoid toppling the car over. I was a hot blooded 24-year old then. Except for a badly bent sump guard (which was just a piece of sheet metal), the Sierra practically was beaming. Ratan Tata would have been pleased.

Sorry for the OT, but like Steeroid I am convinced of their capabilities, no end.
discoverwild is offline  
Old 20th June 2009, 14:08   #525
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
I love the Tatas for their reliability like Steeroid mentions here. ......
Amen!
There are viewpoints and beliefs that are beyond redemption and beyond question.
So be it!
anupmathur is online now  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Safari 2.2 VTT : 125000 kms Long Term Report rrsteer Long-Term Ownership Reviews 87 14th July 2012 20:02
Long Term Review : 1994 Tata Sierra Dippy Long-Term Ownership Reviews 53 25th April 2012 14:36
Long Term Review - Tata Indigo LX 2004 pankaj09 Long-Term Ownership Reviews 26 10th August 2009 20:33
Short Term vs Long Term Ownership, New Car vs Used Car Ownership architect The Indian Car Scene 10 9th May 2008 11:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:07.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks