Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 20th January 2006, 21:55   #76
Senior - BHPian

Petes is for TDI engines as well. You can get one for an Endeavour too.

Skoda is not a Common Rail, its Turbo Diesel.
Old 21st January 2006, 12:00   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
Petes is for TDI engines as well. You can get one for an Endeavour too.

Skoda is not a Common Rail, its Turbo Diesel.
Pete confirmed in another post that they do not have a box for the Endeavour. They are working on one for the Fiesta but nothing for Endeavour
Old 22nd January 2006, 21:45   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
If someone can give me a carbon fibre/other composite bonnet, doors, fenders and a tailgate I figure we could get the weight down to Scorpio levels.
Might be a worthwhile experiment. There are many people who can make body panels out of FRP for you. But, depending on who, you will not get the kind of finish and lusture that you get from steel.
Old 23rd January 2006, 04:21   #79
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Might be a worthwhile experiment. There are many people who can make body panels out of FRP for you. But, depending on who, you will not get the kind of finish and lusture that you get from steel.
As far as i think its only the weight of that car , thats keeping it down cemented to the ground, given that the entire doors , dicky , bonnet et all are lightened like with carbon fibre i have a funny feeling with that amount of torque and power that dicor can actually do a wheelie ... Now im sure steer would love to experiment , heck i have heard about ur telcolines doing a wheelie .. Vulken u listening ???

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 23rd January 2006 at 04:26.
Old 23rd January 2006, 10:04   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
As far as i think its only the weight of that car , thats keeping it down cemented to the ground, given that the entire doors , dicky , bonnet et all are lightened like with carbon fibre i have a funny feeling with that amount of torque and power that dicor can actually do a wheelie ... Now im sure steer would love to experiment , heck i have heard about ur telcolines doing a wheelie .. Vulken u listening ???

Wheelie on a DICOR......whats the stock power/weight ratio of this car..!!!!
Old 27th April 2006, 17:32   #81
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
Boy! Steeroid bro seems like one angry man out to make a point with all those suckers out there...
HEHEHE then he must, no make it definitely must buy either a trax gurkha or a tata 207/tl 4x2 to scare the **** out of other road users. Exept a best bus no one else manages to scare road users more than these two vehicles. And then drive @ 100, swinging in and out of a 2 lane road, and generally push other cars into the kerb. Also yes, he must stop right in middle of his lane and execute a re point reverse turn, right in middle of the highway so that a mile long queue of vehicles waits on both sides of the road for him. What a feeling eh?

Ravi
Old 27th April 2006, 17:43   #82
BHPian

My Dicor's done 6500 km till now.. Last month, wrote a stinker to the dealer after a series of issues similar to Steeroid's. Got a call from the owner, next day the GM and Service manager landed up at my place, gave me a Indigo, took the Dicor for a week. Fixed all my complaints. What can I say, the engine purrs now, no vibrations, no smoke, etc..
I am one happy Dicor driver now and am enjoying every moment in it.. Will post a detailed review at the 10K km point.
Old 27th April 2006, 20:34   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Steeroid, the Octavia is actually a common rail diesel. TDI is just their acronym for it.

If you are serious about the carbon-fibre, pm me. I'm experimenting with it for my youknowwhat!
Volkswagen always believed in "Pump Duse" tech...the archrival of Common Rail.(individual injectors replace common rail...thereby providing extremely high injection pressures superior to common rail..though CR is catching up on pressure with superiority in the ability to provide multiple injection per cycle )...

I believe that Skoda is not Common Rail Diesal..it is simple Turbo Charged with unit injectors...
See this message
"The equally good Skoda Octavia followed, but with a 1.9 litre engine using unit injectors rather than a common rail system." on http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/b...2200090200.htm

Last edited by Buffetfan : 27th April 2006 at 20:36.
Old 28th April 2006, 20:20   #84
BHPian

Smile But , Why?

This is a good review of Dicor , technically.

But is it necessary to overtake / race / push all other vehicles on the highway and proclaim they are useless , to prove how good your car is ?

And just because this Dicor overtook a Skoda, Does Dicor become a better car than skoda or vice versa ? Both of them have their strengths.For all you know the other driver may not like racing on highway , unlike you.

You can see zens / palios overtake much bigger cars.. It does not mean that they are better in all respects..

To me this urge to see every other car on the highway as an adversary , who has to be raced , beaten and then proclaimed useless looks very childish. ( some thing like saying mine is bigger than yours !! )

No offence meant .

Peace.
Old 28th April 2006, 22:20   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12
This is a good review of Dicor , technically.

But is it necessary to overtake / race / push all other vehicles on the highway and proclaim they are useless , to prove how good your car is ?

And just because this Dicor overtook a Skoda, Does Dicor become a better car than skoda or vice versa ? Both of them have their strengths.For all you know the other driver may not like racing on highway , unlike you.

You can see zens / palios overtake much bigger cars.. It does not mean that they are better in all respects..

To me this urge to see every other car on the highway as an adversary , who has to be raced , beaten and then proclaimed useless looks very childish. ( some thing like saying mine is bigger than yours !! )

No offence meant .

Peace.

Kindly read once again with reference to the context - what you have understood is not what I have tried to convey.
Old 1st May 2006, 17:46   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbhag
My Dicor's done 6500 km till now.. Last month, wrote a stinker to the dealer after a series of issues similar to Steeroid's. Got a call from the owner, next day the GM and Service manager landed up at my place, gave me a Indigo, took the Dicor for a week. Fixed all my complaints. What can I say, the engine purrs now, no vibrations, no smoke, etc..
How about body rattles? That seems to be an issue with some owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbhag
I am one happy Dicor driver now and am enjoying every moment in it.. Will post a detailed review at the 10K km point.
Nice to hear you are enjoying the DICOR now.
Is yours 4X4 or 4X2?
Is it possible to convert 4X2 to 4X4 later? There's a price-diff of one lac between the two.
Old 1st May 2006, 17:58   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan
Volkswagen always believed in "Pump Duse" tech...the archrival of Common Rail.(individual injectors replace common rail...thereby providing extremely high injection pressures superior to common rail..though CR is catching up on pressure with superiority in the ability to provide multiple injection per cycle )...

I believe that Skoda is not Common Rail Diesal..it is simple Turbo Charged with unit injectors...
See this message
"The equally good Skoda Octavia followed, but with a 1.9 litre engine using unit injectors rather than a common rail system." on http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/b...2200090200.htm
What separates the latest generation diesel engines from the conventional diesels is not whether common rail system is present or not but what is the pressure at which the fuel is sprayed inside the combustion chamber. The pressure is much higher in modern diesels, as compared to the conventional ones. However, the fuel injection pump in a modern diesel engine may or may not be of the common rail type. Just because the common rail FE pump is missing is not a reason to conclude that the engine is a conventional diesel, as the case of Skoda aptly seems to prove.

Last edited by directinjection : 1st May 2006 at 18:01.
Old 3rd June 2006, 10:53   #88
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Tata Safari Dicor updated to 20000km

Note from mod - Threads merged

Firstly, its 19,300 kms but I'm not going to be around when the incredible hulk crosses 20k.

For Part 1 of the story, please CLICK HERE

Part 2 of the Dicor story is much less melodramatic, less incident prone, and a whole lot more pleasurable!

Engine

The engine has become a lot more smoother and seems to have freed up quite a bit now. It revs rather well, is pretty silent (VERY silent in comparison to the initial stages) and makes about as much noise as your Scorpios, and pulls eagerly.

We did try one mod and that was when Psycho plonked in a K&N and drove it down to Goa. I drove the car in Goa and felt that it picked up from much lower revvs and also felt pretty revvy throughout. However, the intake sound was bugging me - it felt okay for the first few kms to hear the roar from the engine, but after a while it gets on your nerves. It sounded pretty nice during acceleration, but the resounding hum when the engine decelerates was too much.

That said, I also seemed to be getting much better mileage with the K&N. On the trip back from Goa, the 465 kms upto the first Poor For Sure pump in Kasaragod consumed just 35 kms. Thats about 13.5 kms with some spirited driving.

However, the noise was bugging me and I took the K&N off after my overnight halt at a resort close to Kasargod. Put the original filter back and the cabin was pleasently quiet again! Mileage however dropped back to about 11kmpl (based on the next refill), but this could be because of the high-traffic run through Kerala where it was pretty much stop-and-go for about 250kms to my hometown in Palghat. It was raining pretty hard (the rains in Goa were nothing - once you entered Kerala it was almost like a blanket of water had been thrown over the entire state) and therefore there was no question of speeding.

K&N or no K&N the engine feels very different now and has that indestructible feeling - it will probably outlive me. Cruising around at 140kmph with the engine lolling at 2,300 rpm is a very sublime feeling - the engine is on a song!

Handling, Suspension

For all the talk about bad handling this truck does a pretty good job once you get used to it. The steering has a bit of play and that gives it a slightly vague feeling for those who drive it for the first time. After about 15 minutes on it, however, you are ready to throw it around and thereafter its good fun. No amount of throwing around affects its composure (cant say the same for the passengers, though) and its big achilles heel is taking sweeping turns at high speed. On the way back from Goa, I put it into 4WD in the mini-ghat section before Karwar and found that it goes around corners much better. Nitin however convinced me to put it back on 2WD saying that the transmission will pack up if 4WD is used on smooth roads - can someone throw light on this, because I thought that happens only on smooth and STRAIGHT roads. Curved roads should allow the wheels to spin at different speeds and therefore compensate for any difference in wheelspeeds - please correct me if I'm wrong.

The suspension has been doing its job pretty well, soaking up anything that the road throws at us. Unbeatable for comfort, but a bit too soft for my liking. Psycho says he will do something about it - I dont want racecar-stiff springs, just a bit of tightening up that will improve handling without compromising comfort.

Comfort

What can I say - there's no beating this vehicle for comfort. The cranky Subros a/c, which acted up on quite a few occassions till 5,000 kms, has behaved itself therafter. The a/c compressor makes a bit of noise, but nothing too intrusive.

Issues

Glad to report there are no issues except for these two which v1p3r reported recently (taken care of by Prerna under warranty):

1. Oil Warning light comes on after some of v1p3r's off-road antics. We're still not sure if there really was an issue because it could well have been a faulty sensor. Anyway, Prerna's solution to all problems is to REPLACE and therefore they replaced the oil-sump packing (according to v1p3r there was no sign of leaks either on inspection or at the place he parks the car at home, so I suspect its just that they cant be bothered to find the real cause).

2. Driver's side window started winding really slow and v1p3r had Prerna fix that. This may be because I had gotten my dealer to really tighten up the placeholders for the glass because I sometimes like to drive with the window half-down (esp early mornings) and didnt want that to cause a window rattle which is very common on the Safari because of the large (HUGE, actually) front window glass.

No other issue to report. Vehicle is running beautifully with no rattles (except my sub which has come loose from its mounting), returning 11kmpl regularly and generally outperforming cars with much higher bhp ratings. Case in point was a friendly sort of 'race' I had with a Chevy (Subaru) Forester a few days back in Palghat where the Safari comfortably kept up with the Forester initially and thereafter went - and stayed - ahead.

Its All Torque AND Plenty to Show!

Last edited by ajmat : 3rd June 2006 at 22:39.
Old 3rd June 2006, 10:59   #89
BHPian

i also test drove it a long time back .from outside it feels like a huge monster but when u drive it then it feels like heaven. it does,t asks for the 5th gear even till 130 kmph . a lot better than the older safari .

anyways that review is very good . u explained everything abt it .it will surely help the person who wants to buy it
Old 3rd June 2006, 11:04   #90
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Nice report there khader bhai ..So u have removed the K&N eh ?? What happened to the ram air idea ?? Dropped it or ??

Btw i hear a few talks of a berserk DICOR in town a few weeks back going about meaning business .. Wonder if it was really urs ?? Need to find out if its on the most wanted list now ??
Closed Thread