Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 3rd June 2006, 11:15   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
Btw i hear a few talks of a berserk DICOR in town a few weeks back going about meaning business .. Wonder if it was really urs ?? Need to find out if its on the most wanted list now ??
v1p3r!

I'm going to rip a blue Baleno to shreds one of these days.
Old 3rd June 2006, 11:20   #92
Senior - BHPian

Sounds better and better. Waiting for a few used ones to appear
Old 3rd June 2006, 11:30   #93
Senior - BHPian

As they say, there's no substitute for cubic capacity.... nice to know your Dicor is performing well now.
How abt a long drive in the new scorpio (by some means) and then compairing both... would make way for a nice reading?
Old 3rd June 2006, 18:27   #94
BHPian

Nice and honest review Steer....
Safari is still one of the most comfortable cars in India.
Old 3rd June 2006, 21:26   #95
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
v1p3r!

I'm going to rip a blue Baleno to shreds one of these days.
Nothing to worry about .. Just that a friend of mine happened to see the dicor at MG's .. Recognized it by the TBHP sticker , said it was being driven the way it was meant to ..

SSSSHHHH , keep ur iron mouth from saying such things .. I still very well remember what happened to my zen the last time u said something like this .. That blue baleno is very dear to US ..
Old 4th June 2006, 00:48   #96
Senior - BHPian

Well, 30 kgm, 110 bhp, RWD, whaddya expect?
Old 4th June 2006, 10:22   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
Nothing to worry about .. Just that a friend of mine happened to see the dicor at MG's .. Recognized it by the TBHP sticker , said it was being driven the way it was meant to ..

SSSSHHHH , keep ur iron mouth from saying such things .. I still very well remember what happened to my zen the last time u said something like this .. That blue baleno is very dear to US ..

and driven like it should be driven, how many of you have been with him on his drives?
Old 5th June 2006, 13:22   #98
Senior - BHPian

Hi Steer

Nice review. I was wondering from the national meet thread whats that secret mod that Psycho did to your car sorry...beast.... So, it's the K&N.
Old 5th June 2006, 13:32   #99
Senior - BHPian

Well a great review there Steer but after driving the monster truck for over 700 km all I really hated was the wishy washy feeling of the steering on the highway. My daughter fell in love with the space.
Old 5th June 2006, 14:05   #100
Senior - BHPian

Nicely put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Nitin however convinced me to put it back on 2WD saying that the transmission will pack up if 4WD is used on smooth roads - can someone throw light on this, because I thought that happens only on smooth and STRAIGHT roads. Curved roads should allow the wheels to spin at different speeds and therefore compensate for any difference in wheelspeeds - please correct me if I'm wrong.
Well, Nitin bhai is partially right. The front axle is geared to rotate at approximately 10% differential, which means that since a centre diff. lock is lacking, you need either mucky terrain, or wet roads to engage 4WD. Also, the Safari's 4WD, like MOST 4WD's, doesn't have controlled torque-split at the front. It's an open differential (100% torque transmitted to EITHER wheel), so in net effect, you got 3WD. If the car happens to get stuck, and the rear LSD has no traction, and the front diff has traction only on one side, all the power to the front will be transmitted to the wheel that has no traction. Remember the Sumo or the Amby which would spin one of it's rear wheels to glory if stuck? Same case with the front diff. of the Safari here. Have experienced it myself once, while going to Sabutara, Guj. about a year back- and once in Vasai, too....

Nevertheless, this 3WD is effective enough; If the rear was an open diff, we would, in net effect, have 2WD; I guess the rear LSD helps things a lot...

Last edited by veyron1 : 5th June 2006 at 14:08.
Old 5th June 2006, 14:08   #101
Senior - BHPian

Nice review steeroid. I was very impressed with the truck's acceleration and indestructible feeling when I travelled in it.
Old 21st June 2006, 14:28   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
Well, Nitin bhai is partially right. The front axle is geared to rotate at approximately 10% differential, which means that since a centre diff. lock is lacking, you need either mucky terrain, or wet roads to engage 4WD. Also, the Safari's 4WD, like MOST 4WD's, doesn't have controlled torque-split at the front. It's an open differential (100% torque transmitted to EITHER wheel), so in net effect, you got 3WD. If the car happens to get stuck, and the rear LSD has no traction, and the front diff has traction only on one side, all the power to the front will be transmitted to the wheel that has no traction.

Nevertheless, this 3WD is effective enough; If the rear was an open diff, we would, in net effect, have 2WD; I guess the rear LSD helps things a lot...
Yes.. when you drive in 4WD mode on loose terrain, you can actually hear and feel the wheels slipping to compensate for the differential rotational speeds..

Actually as I remember it, the manual talks about a 60/40 torque split rear/front.. But, as you rightly say, no LSD on the front.. So if a front wheel gets stuck, it will max get 40% of the total torque and spin. However, the rear LSD should be good enough to push it out of the situation.

Steer, I now have new found confidence in my 'convincing' abilities
I had located some write-ups on the net about 2WD vs 4WD on hard high-grip surfaces. Will try to find the links and PM you.
Old 21st June 2006, 14:57   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbhag
Steer, I now have new found confidence in my 'convincing' abilities
I had located some write-ups on the net about 2WD vs 4WD on hard high-grip surfaces. Will try to find the links and PM you.
Put them up here! I'd like to read them as well.
Old 21st June 2006, 16:56   #104
BHPian

http://www.offroadexperience.com/offroadguide1.htm
On vehicles fitted with a manual center "Diff-Lock", this should be disengaged once traction has been regained. However, Low-Range should be kept engaged until clear of the hazardous area(s). FYI: This center differential-lock is just that, a lock, locking the front & rear drive outputs of the transfercase together. When unlocked (disengaged) it will prevent "axle windup" with in the drivetrain. Vehicles fitted with a standard High-Low/2wd-4wd system have no center-differential, and when engaged in 4WD for long periods they will induce axle windup. You may notice that in tight turns while in 4WD that the front wheels will seem to hop and buck, this is the windup trying to escape from the system. Don’t be alarmed.

http://trucks.about.com/cs/4wdtips/ht/4wd.htm
Do not operate a locked 4WD on dry, hard surfaces. It could cause damage to the driveshafts, differentials, or transfer case.

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article....tentid=4022001
When a driver shifts from two- to four-wheel drive in a vehicle with part-time four-wheel drive, he or she locks together the front and rear axles, so the front and rear wheels rotate at the same speed. This improves straight-line traction. Since the part-time system has no center differential, there is no way for the two axles to rotate at different speeds in a corner. So, part-time systems shouldn't be engaged unless the vehicle is on very slippery road conditions such as deep snow and mud where wheels can slip as necessary for turning.
If you try driving one of these vehicles on dry pavement with four-wheel drive activated, you will likely feel an awkward, binding sense as you turn a corner. It's also possible to damage drive system components on these vehicles and cause premature tire wear if you travel in four-wheel drive on dry pavement.

http://www.lake-link.com/dodge/truck...m?TruckTipID=6
Part-time 4WD refers to a vehicle with selectable 4x4 or 4x2, requiring the driver to manually shift between 2WD and 4WD using either a lever or a switch. With part-time 4WD, you can "shift on the fly" (switch between 2WD and 4WD while driving). Part-time 4WD gives you better traction on slippery surfaces because the front and rear sets of wheels are locked together. Thus, this is the optimum choice for most off-road conditions.
IMPORTANT: Vehicles with part-time 4WD systems should not be driven on dry, smooth road surfaces when in 4WD mode, or you will soon be spending a lot of money on repairs.

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-...eading/4wd.htm
When a 4WD is traveling in a straight line all four wheels rotate at the same speed, but during cornering each wheel travels at a different speed due to the radius of the turn. All vehicles have a differential on the front and rear axles to allow the wheels on the same axle to rotate at a different speed. Constant 4WD’s have a central differential fitted to allow for different speeds between front and back wheels, but most part-time four wheel drives do not.
When a part-time 4WD (without a center differential) is in 4WD an attempts to corner on bitumen, all wheels need to rotate at different speeds, but without a centre differential they cannot. This creates the phenomena called "axle windup" or "transmission windup". High strain is placed on the drive shafts and transmission, eventually causing one of two things to happen. Either one of the wheels slips or spins to overcome the stress or the drive-shaft/transmission breaks. This is why part time 4WD’s should never select 4WD on paved surfaces.

Last edited by nitinbhag : 21st June 2006 at 16:58.
Old 22nd June 2006, 15:23   #105
Senior - BHPian

So in a straight line, there's no problem? That would mean better traction off the blocks for a 4wd Safari.
Closed Thread