Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 14th August 2014, 04:52   #16
BHPian

Cool re: The Ugly Duckling - Mahindra Quanto. Crossed 100,000 kms EDIT: Now Sold!

The Ugly Duckling - Mahindra Quanto. Crossed 100,000 kms EDIT: Now Sold!-img_20140730_140504.jpg

It's been one year since the car has been with us, and it has been an eventful journey, to say the least. That being said, I will admit that on the whole, this car has an appeal of it's own, and I quite like it!

The +ves:
- Extremely abuse friendly
- Rattle free
- Engine
- Tough suspension.
- The fact that it still doesn't require an alignment. I know it's not a good thing to do, but I loathe to get this done every service, since the A.S.S. and local shops in my area don't do a good job of it.
- Company support (do not mix this with the dealer support; that's a different thing)

The -ves:
- Dealer support. Although it has improved quite visibly over the past one year, it's not at all uniform, and it's still advisable to remain alert.
- The ride. Yes, I'll admit that after sitting in ford's it's a downer.

Just to summarize, the problems which I encountered in my one year ownership:
- Intercooler failed twice. Car had to be towed on the first occasion; and on the second occasion, the part was sourced the same day and fixed.
- Some part within the gearbox. Actually it contained the brake fluid / clutch fluid which had leaked out. It wasn't the gearbox per say. I am sorry but I don't remember the part name, and I have lost the bill for the job.

All issues have been sorted out under warranty.

Issues pending:
- All a/c vents have broken. Don't know whether it is due to driver problem or due to part quality, though I suspect the latter.

What I love about this car:
- Rattle free. I cannot stress on this enough. For people like me who face rattle issues in german/japanese/korean cars due to the roads we traverse within a year's time, it's very very pleasing for me.
- Engine. Although I cannot yet say anything on the reliability aspect yet, but in other parameters, it's just too good.
- The fact that I don't have to get stressed about what road to take anymore. It's a BIG relief for me. Suddenly, city driving is extremely stress free. Don't know how long the suspension will hold up at this rate

What I loathe:
- well.. umm... I don't loathe anything about it. Not as of yet..

Here's hoping for a uneventful year

Thanks,
Simple_car

P.S. Some news for the quanto owners:
The intercooler mount design has been changed. There is no recall, but in case your intercooler does fail, do ensure it's the one with the new-er mount design.
Simple_car is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 08:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default re: The Ugly Duckling - Mahindra Quanto. Crossed 100,000 kms EDIT: Now Sold!

Even though as a Quanto owner you are satisfied, the same feeling doesn't come to mind while reading the first year experience. It is sad to note that there are pending issues like broken a/c vents and other service issues which reflects very badly on Mahindra's commitment to quality. Quality gets defined as fitness for the purpose which is not met here. But it is nice to note that the vehicle is totally rattle free even after 40K kms and perhaps, the able suspension has done a very good job.
What is the condition of the tyres as of now and what about the overall fuel consumption?

Last edited by rajeev k : 14th August 2014 at 08:17.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 14:07   #18
BHPian

Default re: The Ugly Duckling - Mahindra Quanto. Crossed 100,000 kms EDIT: Now Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
It is sad to note that there are pending issues like broken a/c vents and other service issues which reflects very badly on Mahindra's commitment to quality. Quality gets defined as fitness for the purpose which is not met here.
What is the condition of the tyres as of now and what about the overall fuel consumption?
The tyres will last for another 10k at best, and apart from 2 punctures, I have no complaints. The wear has been uniform.

The ODO of the car is at 58k as we speak.

The f.e. has decreased a little and is currently hovering at 12. The decrease may be attributed to the reduced average speeds of the car since the monsoons have started, and the road surface is worse than the moon:(

The A/c vents issue has been unresolved since I am not sparing the car for more than a day, and the service centers want 2 days for replacement. Will get it done around diwali when the car can be spared for that duration.

Other than that, the issues which were reported have been limited to my quanto in this area as of now (but that may also be because, I am the only fool to have bought one)

I am happy only because the car has held up nicely compared to our previous cars, which disintegrated in 30-50k kms. The only vehicles you see in my area are bolero's (didn't want one since we have one already) and sumo's (a.s.s. in my area is dreadful). The only premium vehicles which can survive here are Innova's, Fortuner's and Endeavour's (beyond our budget). So, for me, the quality has been met for my budget
Simple_car is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2014, 04:57   #19
BHPian

Another intercooler failure.

It's occurring every 20-30k kms in my car. Thus far everything has been covered under warranty, and thankfully the dealer in my area has improved his services, so my headaches have reduced substantially.

I tried to persuade them for interference from the factory engineer for assistance on why the intercooler was failing prematurely (and presumably only in my car), but sadly that remains a distant dream. Dealer's techies are either too proud or plain lazy.

Anyways, since the car has run almost 70k kms now, the rear brake linings were almost at the end of their life, and I had them replaced while the car was at the workshop.

Since past 2 services, I am observing that Mahindra's part charges for wear and tear items are competitive, but their labour charges are very high!

60k kms service labour charges were 4.5k (total cost was 10k).

This unscheduled service also set me back by 9k, of which 1k was unnecessary add-ons:
1. Total parts cost me 5.6k
2. And labour was 3.6k

Intercooler was replaced under warranty, and the car was handed in a day. The parts cost posted above are for the rear brake linings, oil/oil filter, fog lamp bulb, and headlamp holder.

Save for the intercooler problem, the car is pretty much trouble-free. I will wait and observe for the next 30k kms. If the intercooler problem resurfaces, I may consider to sell off the car.

Thanks,
Simple_car

P.S. The A/c vent problems have been fixed now.
Simple_car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 12:54   #20
BHPian

Looks like your cars running is very similar to mine! Is your factory in Vasai,Wada or Palghar by any chance?
How long do you intend to keep this car if the intercooler doesn't give way?
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2014, 09:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Can any expert here let me know what the Intercooler is? And how do other Quanto owners feel about the brake power of the vehicle? My vehicle has clocked around 25000KM, and I find the brakes are a bit less powerful.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2014, 18:52   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Looks like your cars running is very similar to mine! Is your factory in Vasai,Wada or Palghar by any chance?
Thanks. It's not a factory technically, but the office is at thane-belapur industrial belt.

If the intercooler gives away again
- The sale will be within 6 months, if Mahindra doesn't give me a goodwill warranty. I will try and push for a factory inspection for finding the root cause, before taking the final call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Can any expert here let me know what the Intercooler is? And how do other Quanto owners feel about the brake power of the vehicle? My vehicle has clocked around 25000KM, and I find the brakes are a bit less powerful.
Not an expert, but I would recommend you google the term, and see the pics. As far as where the intercooler is located on the quanto, it sits on top of the engine (it's the silver thing with fins, which you see on opening the bonnet). In the quanto it's covered partially by the black cover which has the 'mCr100' written on it.

As far as the brakes are concerned, it's pretty normal what you are experiencing. It's because they are being used. My car consumes the brake pads by 30k kms on average. Assuming that you are driving it much more nicely, expect them to last till 40k kms atleast.

Another thing you can do is get the brakes bled. It will solve the problem temporarily.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2014, 23:50   #23
BHPian

Car has completed the 70k kms service, and the ODO reading is at 75k kms. No issues to report except that the slave cylinder had failed a while back, which was duly replaced under warranty.

Tyres will be replaced next month, since their life is over.

The 70k kms service was a simple oil and filter change. Cost: 3.8k. Still on the higher side according to me, even after accounting for the higher oil intake. The labour rates are pretty high, but the parts are priced very competitively.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 5th December 2014, 10:15   #24
Senior - BHPian

My Mahindra Quanto C4 finished 30,000 kms last week and so I had given it for the usual servicing. It costed me Rs.10,000 approx. Major share (of the costs) went to the cleaning of the air conditioner unit and changing of the brakes. The A/C had become quite weak with people in the back seat complaining that the cold air never reaches them. The cleaning did the trick and the overall cooling has tremendously improved.

The other issues were the rattling of doors (mainly because of the bush/washers coming off). Servicing was done at Bengaluru.
Old 5th December 2014, 13:01   #25
BHPian

Quote:
My Mahindra Quanto C4 finished 30,000 kms last week and so I had given it for the usual servicing. It costed me Rs.10,000 approx. Major share (of the costs) went to the cleaning of the air conditioner unit and changing of the brakes. The A/C had become quite weak with people in the back seat complaining that the cold air never reaches them. The cleaning did the trick and the overall cooling has tremendously improved.

The other issues were the rattling of doors (mainly because of the bush/washers coming off). Servicing was done at Bengaluru.
Hi Sachinpk,

I would like you to point out one thing: Please clean the air filter of your car (or replace it with every service; it will still be cheaper), before noting down as a complaint on your service sheet.

Reason: from your complaint of 'rear passengers not receiving cold air', it's more likely that your filter is clogged. It's pretty common in my vehicle, and I have it cleaned at every 5k kms on my own. Mahindra has put up a video on youtube explaining how to do it as a DIY. If you are not keen on DIY, get it done by any competent roadside workshop (or a Mahindra A.S.S.). Just cleaning the filter solves the problem in my car.

DO NOT get this A/c treatment done, and your bill be lesser by ~2k.

You needn't clean the filter as frequently as I do (since my car passes through extremely dusty areas), but kindly do not complain unless the air filter cleaning doesn't work.

Quanto's normal service bills shouldn't exceed 8k unless wear and tear items are replaced (in which case it shouldn't exceed 11k at most). Just be extra cautious, and wish you many happy miles with your car.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2014, 13:50   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
Reason: from your complaint of 'rear passengers not receiving cold air', it's more likely that your filter is clogged. It's pretty common in my vehicle, and I have it cleaned at every 5k kms on my own.
That could be the reason. To be frank, I have not done any explicit cleaning of the Air Filter in any previous services. And yes, I kind of use the vehicle on pretty much all sorts of roads (one was during the recent K1000 rally), so yes dust can clog up the filter.

Quote:
Mahindra has put up a video on youtube explaining how to do it as a DIY. If you are not keen on DIY, get it done by any competent roadside workshop
I am not a very die-hard DIY man. But will check for the video and see if it is some thing which I can do it myself (or at least learn after it being done once or twice).

Quote:
Quanto's normal service bills shouldn't exceed 8k unless wear and tear items are replaced (in which case it shouldn't exceed 11k at most).
This time, I feel replacement of the brake shoes also jacked up the amount a bit.

Another thing which I needed to check is the availability of those rubber bushes (or the rubber sticks) which gets fixed on the doors - mainly the back door. One of them is lost and the dealer says they don't have stock of that. If I can get it else where, I feel I myself can fix it. Thanks for all the inputs !

Last edited by sachinpk : 5th December 2014 at 13:52.
Old 18th December 2014, 11:12   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
Another intercooler failure.
Today I realised what the Intercooler was, though in a hard way. My vehicle has done around 30986kms (in around 14 months after purchase) when the problem was detected. Oil leaks were happening, and marks were noticed on my garage floors.

The Dealer was kind enough to send in their mobile unit to check up the issue. The mechanic came and found that there is a leak on the right hand side* of the intercooler where a small pipe gets joined in. He said that this is not an immediate cause of worry, but the intercooler has to get replaced.

I call up the Customer Relationship Manager of the dealer. He promised a vehicle pick up tomorrow and fixing up the issue by tomorrow evening. Not a very easy feeling as I am suppose to drive down to Kerala on Saturday morning. Lots of travel planned during X'Mas time and I don't want some show stopper to happen. So now every thing depends upon the dealer's manager and his team of technicians.

During my last trip (for a car rally) the issue was with the coolant liquid not being sufficient. The same manager had given me "on-line help" in getting a coolant, and teaching me how to top up the coolant .

* Right hand side, when a person opens the bonnet and looks from that direction.
Old 18th December 2014, 15:01   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Oil leaks were happening, and marks were noticed on my garage floors.
This isn't a symptom of intercooler problem. What I suggest is this: when the intercooler is replaced do the following things:
- at the dealer, ask them to rev the engine and keep your hand near the pipes connecting the intercooler to check for any air leaks. There should be none.
- clean all 'marks' and keep observing the area every 500 kms or after every long drive.
- keep a check on your engine oil level with your dipstick at every fixed interval (as per your convenience), till next service.
- ask them to open the MAF sensor (mass air flow), clean it and put it back.

Quote:
Not a very easy feeling as I am suppose to drive down to Kerala on Saturday morning. Lots of travel planned during X'Mas time and I don't want some show stopper to happen. So now every thing depends upon the dealer's manager and his team of technicians.
IF it is an intercooler related issue, the car won't leave you stranded anywhere. Only a check engine light will pop up on your dash, and you will see smoke under hard acceleration (which is not normal for this engine). The response of the car will be otherwise normal. No need to worry; drive, and complete your holidays, and enjoy. Come back, and then give your car back.

Quote:
During my last trip (for a car rally) the issue was with the coolant liquid not being sufficient. The same manager had given me "on-line help" in getting a coolant, and teaching me how to top up the coolant .
I will inquire about this coolant drop with the A.S.S. here, and get back to you. It has happened with my car too.

One more thing I would like to request; if you would be so kind, kindly inquire with your regular A.S.S., if the intercooler issue is a common problem with the Quanto and Xylo's in your area. Based on my inquiries locally, I am not yet getting a clear idea.

I am in regular touch with another quanto owner in my area, whose car has done similar mileage as yours, and the only problem his car has faced is a failed slave cylinder issue (which is a known problem with xylo and quanto's). He seems to be pretty happy till now.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2015, 17:12   #29
BHPian

The car has completed 86k kms yesterday, and has also completed it's 80k kms routine service. Total cost came to be ~12k (4k more than routine service due to brake pad replacement costs).

The intercooler was replaced again, because the brackets mounting the intercooler had broken causing oil marks on the engine and oil filter below the mounting area. Am quoting member @sachinpk who also faced similar issue recently. I hope I have been able to address your concern to the best of my knowledge.

I have escalated my concerns about the repeated intercooler replacements with Mahindra, and I should have some clarity by month end, after which I will take a call whether to retain the vehicle post 100,000 kms. If I am satisfied with Mahindra's answers, I will be retaining the car. I have no other problems with it otherwise. It has aged very gracefully according to me.

Quote:
Today I realised what the Intercooler was, though in a hard way. My vehicle has done around 30986kms (in around 14 months after purchase) when the problem was detected. Oil leaks were happening, and marks were noticed on my garage floors.
The mechanic came and found that there is a leak on the right hand side* of the intercooler where a small pipe gets joined in. He said that this is not an immediate cause of worry, but the intercooler has to get replaced.
Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 4th February 2015, 17:53   #30
Senior - BHPian

My car is in the 35,000kms to 36,000kms range, and it has now been with me for 1 year and 5 months. And a few thoughts.

1. The intercooler problem has now been fixed permanently. No more oil leakages from that part of the engine.
2. A week after fixing this, I again noticed oil stains on my garage floor. Quite dejected I called up the service agents once again. They took the vehicle for the day, and fixed it. From what I could understand this extra work came because of the sloppy engine work done the previous time. For the last two weeks no issues on the "oil leakages".
3. In early December (2014) I had faced another unique problem. All of a sudden, I saw the "engine heated up" light (the thermometer), the exclamation mark light and the battery light all glow up at the same time. The vehicle slowed down and the engine stopped. Some how I managed to pull to a side of the road. The gauge which shows engine's warmth still remained at the middle part of the gauge. I switched off the AC, and then reached home. It was then the customer service manager said that the problem would be because of low coolant levels. And he advised me to get the coolant from a near by petrol bunk, mix with water and then add it in. I did that, and for the next one odd month there was no problem at all.
4. Some where in early January, again I got the coolant low warning, and again I added the coolant+water mix and the problem went away.
5. Last week (and after two visits to the Service Centre to get the oil leaks fixed), again the problem cropped up. This time, I could also notice a very high level of humming from some part of the engine. Cancelling a visit to a local club's cricket match, I went back to the service centre. To be quite honest, I was totally dejected on choosing this vehicle, and I clearly told my frustration to the CRM and other senior mechanics out there. They did a quick check, drove the vehicle for 15-20kms at all sort of possible speed/torque levels. Only thing they did, was filling up the coolant again before starting off. The issue did not come up again, and the test drive indicated no further problems.

Summary of the issue: Even though I was filling the coolant, it seems to be disappearing fast. As per the senior mechanic one good filling of coolant would at least enable the vehicle to run next 5000km without an issue. And that is when the whole issue came out. It seems there are different types of coolants available. One is a thick paste, and this cannot be used directly. For every unit of paste, four units of water needs to get mixed and then added to the tank. Then there are other coolants, which already comes mixed up with water. They can be used as is. The coolant I bought (from Servo) was the second type. It was already diluted. And based on the advice of the CRM, I had diluted further by adding more water. So instead of a proper coolant, I was "refilling" a very diluted version of coolant (or more of plain water). The CRM on his part did not check if I had the paste type of the coolant, before giving on-line help to fill water . And I being me, did not know that there can be coolants which do not require to be mixed with water. So this may not be the problem of Mahindra or Quanto, but of me not doing the checks properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_Car
I have escalated my concerns about the repeated intercooler replacements with Mahindra, and I should have some clarity by month end, after which I will take a call whether to retain the vehicle post 100,000 kms.
With all these oil leakages and other minor issues, I too was in a double mind whether to buy another car. But the problem for me is that my loan is yet to be repaid, and this vehicle may not give any good resale value. Even the Service Centre folks did admit that the "first lot" of Quantos had problems, but all of them are now removed. For me it is just 36,000kms done and have nearly another 6 years to close of the loan (unless I get rich quickly). By my next service, I guess I will also get more clarity.

Last edited by sachinpk : 4th February 2015 at 17:55.