Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 29th July 2015, 22:13   #421
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah

Awesome thread
Thanks for the beautiful travelogue.

I am also planning a self driven trip to Zuluk on my Thar October this year. Browsing through threads such as this one I have gained a lot of information and more importantly confidence. However certainty over few information is still not there for us.

Questions we have are :-
1. Up to what time we could get permits from Rongli to enter Zuluk? Or is the check post 24/7 and permits can be obtained even after 8 PM?
2. Someone scared us by telling that we will not be getting permits to drive our Kerala registered cars to Zuluk and we will have to hire a Cab. Is this true? I could see that the Purple Cheetah was TN registered.
3. Our plan from Zuluk is to drive to Tsongmo Lake and from there drive on to Gangtok. Do we need any permits other than those issued at Rongli?

I will be very grateful if anyone could kindly assist please.
Renjith_Mani is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 23:20   #422
BHPian

Ravi Sir, First things first, I started reading your thread this evening and read it beginning to the end in a single sitting! I am absolutely at loss of words for so many things Ive seen here today - Your love for the P. Cheetah, your enthusiasm for driving all over the latitude and longitude of India. Your meticulous detailing in maintaining all the logs related to the P. cheetah. I mean the list is endless. Hats-off to you and salute Sir, bravo. On a separate note, I am also happy as just this afternoon I went to the Mahindra stockyard to select my new XUV 5OO W8. Albeit not the new age one. I am so thrilled and excited at the prospect of laying my hands on this wonderful vehicle and your posts have made me fall in love with my prospective car even before I am owner of one. Now, I have to think of a really nice name for my XUV. The wait is absolutely killing me. It should be approximately 8-10 days before I can have mine. I so look forward and once again, I wish you many happy moments with your beloved P. Cheetah and All the very best Sir, Cheers.
Gentle Giant is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 00:59   #423

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I have both good and bad news. Good news first.
Thats Bad !! But does maps (google) & navigation guidance work fine despite the compass being rendered useless.

Another question Mr Ravi. I look at the link you sent on Ali Express. The shipping times through China post are very long. And the other options fedex etc are very expensive. How did you manage ?

Thanks

Last edited by ampere : 30th July 2015 at 08:05. Reason: Reduced bulk of quoted post
oberyn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 07:50   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjith_Mani View Post
Awesome thread
Thanks for the appreciation, Renjith_Mani.

Quote:
1. Up to what time we could get permits from Rongli to enter Zuluk? Or is the check post 24/7 and permits can be obtained even after 8 PM?
Sorry, I don't have any idea of getting inner-line permit [ILP] at Rongli as I got it at Gangtok. We drove to the old silk route from Ranipool side, while returning from Gangtok, as the Gangtok-Nathula road was closed due to heavy snowing and bad weather. Getting ILP from Sikkim police was another Herculean task.

Quote:
2. Someone scared us by telling that we will not be getting permits to drive our Kerala registered cars to Zuluk and we will have to hire a Cab. Is this true?
No. I got ILP for me and wife to drive in our own TN-registered XUV 500. As you might be knowing, one has to apply for ILP through an approved travel agent only and they insist on taxi+ILP, usually. During our stay at Gangtok, I asked the hotel manager as to whether he could arrange for ILP only without taxi. First, he said he would try. The next day, he informed me that he would get ILP for me, but I must engage the services of 'a guide' as suggested by his travel agent, if I did not want cab and drive on our own car. I refused. I informed him that when I could drive from Chennai to Gangtok without any guide, why should I pay for a guide, whose services were not required. I clearly told him: if I get ILP, I would drive to the old silk route; otherwise, I would drive directly to Guwahati. Then, he said he would try again through his contacts. It went on like this until the day of departure. Finally, I got ILP on the day of our departure at 9 am! I paid ₹ 500 for ILP. I checked out of the hotel and drove to Rongli via Ranipool.

Quote:
3. Our plan from Zuluk is to drive to Tsongmo Lake and from there drive on to Gangtok. Do we need any permits other than those issued at Rongli?
Driving to Changu Lake and Nahula via Gangtok-Nathula Jawaharlal Nehru Road is possible subject to [i] getting ILP from the Sikkim police and permission from the Army authorities and [ii] road not closed due to heavy snowing and bad weather. The next alternative is to drive via Rongli-Nathula Road for which, the Army's permission is not required for driving to Zuluk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Giant View Post
First things first, I started reading your thread this evening and read it beginning to the end in a single sitting!
Thanks a lot for the compliments, nice words and wishes, Gentle Giant.

Quote:
It should be approximately 8-10 days before I can have mine.
Advance congratulations and best wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberyn View Post
But does maps (google) & navigation guidance work fine despite the compass being rendered useless.
All the navigators [Navi Maps, Google Maps and Here] are working flawlessly. Only the compass is not working.

Quote:
The shipping times through China post are very long. And the other options fedex etc are very expensive. How did you manage ?
China/India post take about 2-3 weeks to deliver to my Bangalore/Chennai homes. I don't mind the delay as long as I get the item without any damages or loss. So far, I did not have any bad experience.
J.Ravi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 22:03   #425
Senior - BHPian

Default Chennai>Pondy>Chennai

Purple Cheetah was busy today with Chennai>Pondy>Chennai trip. Left Adayar at 12:15 pm, lunched at Aryas Garden at Tindivanam bypass, completed the work at Pondy, visited Manakula Vinayakar temple, left there at 5:30 pm, had evening tiffin at Aryas Garden and reached Royapettah home at 8:35 pm.

Name:  ChennaiPondyChennai30072015MID.jpg
Views: 1624
Size:  82.5 KB

The magnetic mobile holder did a wonderful job of holding my smartphone tightly throughout the trip.

I used the Navi Maps in my smartphone during this trip. I found the following niggles:

1. Whenever my smartphone is paired with P.Cheetah through the Bluetooth, the voice guidance ceases to work. When disconnected, the voice guidance works brilliantly!

2. Within the city limits and urban limits, the close-ups of the maps are displayed. During the highway runs away from these limits, the maps zoom out to the bird's eye view from the top!

3. During incoming calls, the maps disappear and the called ID is displayed.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 12:08   #426
adu
BHPian

Default Re: Chennai>Pondy>Chennai

Quote:

The magnetic mobile holder did a wonderful job of holding my smartphone tightly throughout the trip.
Ravi Sir, good to hear the magnetic holder did a good job. Can't wait for mine to arrive now, though I know it will be a couple of weeks in today's day and age .
adu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 17:33   #427
BHPian

Ravi sir,
Sorry for going OT, can you please suggest the best route from Chennai to Pondy and from there to Coimbatore. I am coming to pick up my Cheetah from India garage and would be staying at guest rooms near Fort Area. Since I am not very conversant with chennai hence the query. I would be grateful for fastest route Timewise.
Regards
RajeVenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 20:37   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeVenu View Post
can you please suggest the best route from Chennai to Pondy and from there to Coimbatore.
Chennai>Tindivanam>Pondy>Villupuram>Ulundurpettai> Salem>Coimbatore. Drive carefully between Pondy and Villupuram as it is a 2-lane highway with very high volume of traffic, especially two-wheelers.

Quote:
I am coming to pick up my Cheetah from India garage
Congratulations and best wishes.
Old 3rd August 2015, 01:24   #429
Senior - BHPian

Default Chennai>Pondy>Bangalore

Purple Cheetah had another busy day yesterday by driving Chennai>Pondy>Bangalore trip. Left Chennai Royapettah home at 11:35 am, lunched at Aryas Garden at Tindivanam bypass, completed the work at Pondy, visited Manakula Vinayakar temple, left there at 6:15 pm, had evening tiffin at Aryas Garden, left there at 7:15 pm and reached Bangalore Basaveswara Nagar home at 00:15 am today.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah-chennaipondybangalore03082015mid.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah-screenshot_20150803002626403.jpeg

Quote:
1. Whenever my smartphone is paired with P.Cheetah through the Bluetooth, the voice guidance ceases to work. When disconnected, the voice guidance works brilliantly!
Yesterday, the the voice guidance worked even when the smartphone was connected with P.Cheetah through Bluetooth.

Quote:
2. Within the city limits and urban limits, the close-ups of the maps are displayed. During the highway runs away from these limits, the maps zoom out to the bird's eye view from the top!
Yesterday, I manually adjusted the magnification using my two fingers and it remained that way all along the trip.
J.Ravi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2015, 07:19   #430
BHPian

Just an observation with facelift XUV infotainment. It doesn't display the decimal point numbers for fuel efficiency.
Indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2015, 12:57   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
Just an observation with facelift XUV infotainment. It doesn't display the decimal point numbers for fuel efficiency.
really . Thats weird. As much as new infotainment is more modern, but the S/W developers really missed on some simple good features from the older one like song scrolling in the list etc. Now decimal point fuel efficiency.
supertinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2015, 20:31   #432
Senior - BHPian

Today, Purple Cheetah consumed 25.82 litres of diesel at Basaveswara Nagar HP COCOO, costing ₹ 48.77/litre after covering a distance of 388 km, indicating a fuel efficiency of 15.02 kmpl on tankful-to-tankful basis as against 15.10 kmpl shown by the infotainment panel. P.Cheetah had the earlier fill at Sri Aurobindo Udyog Service Station, Puducherry, costing ₹ 46.66/litre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
It doesn't display the decimal point numbers for fuel efficiency.
The new age XUV 500's Android smartphone app does not display the tyre temperature in Tiretronics unlike the old age XUV 500's.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah-screenshot_20140310115410.png
Old 6th August 2015, 23:31   #433
Senior - BHPian

Default Bangalore>Mysore>Bangalore

We - 7 adults and a kid - visited Mysore Palace, zoo and St Philomena's church today, thanks to Purple Cheetah. We had breakfast at Kamat Lokaruchi, lunch at Dasaprakash, Gandhi Square and dinner at Maddur Adiga's.

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah-bloremysoreblore06082015mid.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah-img_20150806_135650.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah-img_20150806_135517.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah-img_20150806_154158.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD: My Pet Purple Cheetah-img_20150806_174338.jpg

One main difference I noticed on the Bangalore-Mysore SH 17: most of the speed-breakers have been replaced with barricades at most of the junctions, compelling us to drive zig-zag through those barricades.
J.Ravi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 00:06   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
really . Thats weird. As much as new infotainment is more modern, but the S/W developers really missed on some simple good features from the older one like song scrolling in the list etc. Now decimal point fuel efficiency.

Hopefully these are just small glitches because it's a new system and S/W updates to the same will solve all these 'digital' niggles. Weird however to see how they could omit parameters already present in the tried /tested ICE's
vinitbhavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 00:11   #435
BHPian

Sir at the onset let me tell you what a legend and inspiration you are. Absolutely devoured all your posts in a very short time. I plan to buy the XUV W 10 hopefully with the A/T (as per speculation abound during the festival season). Keep the posts coming and wish you many more munching miles.
vinitbhavi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote