Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2015, 09:52   #136
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 780
Thanked: 765 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinbalance View Post

It was @adi_petrolhead who did my "mind making up". Read his thread, calmed myself down to ignore the arrogance of Skoda showroom guys, had a ball with the test drive and then paid up for the Octy 2015 1.4 TSI Petrol and hopefully take delivery next week (somehow never liked Automatic transmission).

Thank you for the kind words, and many congratulations on the buy. Not seen any 1.4 TSI on the forum yet. You have got yourselves a truly amazing car. It's even better in the manual guise. So rest assured you will absolutely love it in an ownership kind of way.

With the amount of problems I have had with the car, none were gearbox or engine related. So I am not that anxious now. Got the battery replaced yesterday and it's back to all its glory. Will share detailed post on that in the official car review.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th June 2015 at 13:12. Reason: Typo.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 10:24   #137
BHPian
 
allinbalance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 43
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Here is the Black Beauty in the flesh -

By the way, that extra shine is due to the SONAX water resist coating done by Vinayak Motors. The unexpected surprise was their delivery was ultra smooth and very customer friendly!!

The air spoiler you see on the boot - is not a default in 1.4 TSI, I had it fitted in. They did a factory level job - nice!!

Will post the 2015 generation interior Octavia pictures later.

One more favour, @adi_petrolhead, could you guide me on how I can change the headlights to the projector type? I believe the microcontroller coding has to change?

The Vinayak Motors, Bangalore guy (Suresh) asked me to take your help on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DSG)-img_20150620_125602.jpg  

Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DSG)-img_20150620_125614.jpg  

Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DSG)-img_20150620_125649.jpg  


Last edited by Vid6639 : 21st June 2015 at 11:40. Reason: merging posts. Please use the edit or multi-quote option if posting within 30mins on same thread.
allinbalance is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 12:09   #138
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 780
Thanked: 765 Times
Default Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DSG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinbalance View Post
One more favour, @adi_petrolhead, could you guide me on how I can change the headlights to the projector type? I believe the microcontroller coding has to change?
Great looking car.

The OEM Bi-Xenon head lights with LED drl can be bought as a direct swap kit from skodadop.com. You will need to install ballasts that will come with the kit and do fair amount of VCDS coding. However, AFS will not work without AFS sensor. AFS sensor is tricky to install and Sugesh at Vagtune.com will be able to guide you in that subject. However his kits are very expensive, so I suggest the former option, skodadop.com
adi_petrolhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 14:04   #139
BHPian
 
petroguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 302
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DSG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Great looking car.

The OEM Bi-Xenon head lights with LED drl can be bought as a direct swap kit from skodadop.com. You will need to install ballasts that will come with the kit and do fair amount of VCDS coding. However, AFS will not work without AFS sensor. AFS sensor is tricky to install and Sugesh at Vagtune.com will be able to guide you in that subject. However his kits are very expensive, so I suggest the former option, skodadop.com
And, the bumpers might need to be cut to install the headlamp washers or it should be changed as a set from the elegance variant.
petroguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 23:17   #140
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: noida
Posts: 26
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DSG)

Hi,a dear friend just bought a 1.8tsi and is enjoying it thoroughly up and until the 1000km mark when he skidded the car at a speed of a 170 clicks,any idea as to which tyre is good enough apart from the ps3s since he's keen to spend lesser.
Any insight would be useful,thank you
Dhruv
dhruvritzed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2015, 08:02   #141
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 780
Thanked: 765 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvritzed View Post
Hi,a dear friend just bought a 1.8tsi and is enjoying it thoroughly up and until the 1000km mark when he skidded the car at a speed of a 170 clicks,any idea as to which tyre is good enough apart from the ps3s since he's keen to spend lesser.

Any insight would be useful,thank you

Dhruv

You need to give out more details of the conditions I. Which the car skid. Was it very heavy rain, sand or gravel on road? Forget spending lesser. Ask your friend to drive at sane and legal speeds to avoid 'skidding'. We at team-bhp.com do not support unsafe driving at illegal speeds. Any car could have an aquaplaning effect in torrential showers or if too much water is collected on roads.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2015, 15:08   #142
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 780
Thanked: 765 Times
Default Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DSG)

Update: 40000 kms

Completed 40K kms mark today and there is nothing serious to report as yet.
Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DSG)-fullsizerender-2.jpg

Recently I had a long chat with Skoda Area Service Manager(SASM) about the niggling issues though. The SASM promised me that a team of technicians will be sent from Aurangabad to analyse and correct the issues on my car, especially the ORVM noise and the noise during front suspension spring travel. Both issues seem to be dust related, and I had never faced either of these in the Laura, then why in the Octy?

Avg. FE has been more or less similar to initial period, around 13 kmpl combined 70:30, Highway:City. Where as 100% highway driving will yield not more than 16 kmpl at the max. I think FE has taken a slight hit after my tyre upgrade to 225 instead of 205. But it doesn't matter because the drive is just that much better.

Michelin PS3 is the best tyre I have used, yet. Its not all that silent as the Yoko DB but does the job well. But the way it absorbs the bumps is what stands out. Also, the lip near the rim is so helpful that on two recent occasions it has saved my rim from damage.

Also I think FE has reduced since I installed the Super Sports Steering with Paddles, because I tend to use the manual mode more often now.

Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DSG)-fullsizerender-3.jpg
The dash doesn't look too old, but the piano black finish tends to develop scratches. This is even after using a dry micro fibre cloth, and mini jopasu duster.

Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DSG)-fullsizerender.jpg
Would have appreciated the wheel without this logo. Looks like an add-on.

Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DSG)-fullsizerender-4.jpg

This is the 'menace' button. Should have been red with 'ACHTUNG' sign.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2015, 11:15   #143
BHPian
 
Amarendranath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 500
Thanked: 402 Times
Default Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DSG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
However if you do decide to go for the upgrade, go for the Golf 7 GTI steering, its much much more chunky and sporty.
I will be relocating soon buddy. So i guess i will drop this idea for now. I have even inquired about the steering module thats comes in the 2015 model and you are right. It costs upwards 50k. Will make peace with it for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I believe Jetta doesn't come with LED tail lights in any market. Hence no OE option is available, and I would not suggest aftermarket lights.
I wish the JET had these, i could do a few quick mods on the looks before i leave.


And your car look smashing! All the simple modifications have sum up making it look very elegant. Enjoy your ride mate.
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2015, 13:30   #144
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 780
Thanked: 765 Times
Default Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DSG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
I wish the JET had these, i could do a few quick mods on the looks before i leave.
I found these, which do seem to be OEM -ish. Ask the seller and see if he can send you the part number and you can verify that. Looks really classy.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/4Pcs-...314500553.html

FE update:

Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DSG)-img_8220.jpg

Good or bad? I say quite good.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2015, 10:28   #145
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 120
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DSG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
The Super Sports VRS Flat Bottom Steering Wheel with Paddle shifts and White Stitching:
Couple of questions Adi:

1) Is this the steering you bought (http://skodadop.com/en/octavia-iii-/...m-shvom.html)?

2) Where did you get it fitted and how much did they charge?

3) Vagtune has, what looks like the same steering, for 64 K. Any idea why is that so expensive? (http://www.vagtune.in/skoda/skoda-st...19091aq-detail)
sunny310c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2015, 11:43   #146
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 780
Thanked: 765 Times
Default Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DSG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
Regarding Skoda Super Sports VRS Steering Flat Bottom for DSG with White Stitching
Sunny, yes this is the same steering. Had got it cheaper than this rate because at that time the INR vs. EUR rate was around 62.00. Today it is 70.00.

Got it installed from the dealer. Didn't charge me anything, as it was hardly a one minute job.

Vagtune you say? It was a different deal when the store was in monopoly, but they have not reduced the prices of any items yet. Plus their postage is way more expensive than others. Also, they charge for customs duty, but actually customs duty is consignment specific. Can be anything for anyone, and not fixed always.
For instance, I did not pay a single rupee of duty, where as Kapil paid around 4000 for the same steering.

Just order it, the steering will reach you within 10 days maximum with fully tracked Czech Post shipping.

Also, ask for a gift from the site owner.

There is also a variant with red stitching, so if you have a Zeal edition, red stitching will look even better.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2015, 13:12   #147
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 120
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DSG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Sunny, yes this is the same steering. Had got it cheaper than this rate because at that time the INR vs. EUR rate was around 62.00. Today it is 70.00.
...
Thanks for the quick response. Have a few more questions however .

First of all, the price on skodadop.com appears to be in Czech Korunas. The symbol (Kč) suggests its Korunas so why do we need to worry about Euros or am I missing something here? If you convert 9500 Kč to INR, it works out to around 24000.

Secondly, there are similar steering wheels available on skodadop.com for much cheaper, in both white & red stitching. If you go to http://skodadop.com/en/octavia-iii-/ruli-4/, you will find 4 such steering wheels, 3 of which cost 8250 Korunas & the other costing 9500 Korunas. Not sure what is the difference between them. Any idea?

And no, I don't have the Zeal edition. I have what you have, 1.8 TSi Elegance, in Magic Black.

This might be a dumb question but how do I ask for free gift from the site owner? Is there an option while checking out or do I leave a comment somewhere?
sunny310c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2015, 14:52   #148
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 780
Thanked: 765 Times
Default Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DSG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
Thanks for the quick response. Have a few more questions however .

First of all, the price on skodadop.com appears to be in Czech Korunas. The symbol (Kč) suggests its Korunas so why do we need to worry about Euros or am I missing something here? If you convert 9500 Kč to INR, it works out to around 24000.

Secondly, there are similar steering wheels available on skodadop.com for much cheaper, in both white & red stitching. If you go to http://skodadop.com/en/octavia-iii-/ruli-4/, you will find 4 such steering wheels, 3 of which cost 8250 Korunas & the other costing 9500 Korunas. Not sure what is the difference between them. Any idea?

And no, I don't have the Zeal edition. I have what you have, 1.8 TSi Elegance, in Magic Black.

This might be a dumb question but how do I ask for free gift from the site owner? Is there an option while checking out or do I leave a comment somewhere?
At the time, it was a case where 'Euro' was the weakest of all currencies. Hence I got it in the Euro price. But it doesn't matter now as the prices in any currency are at par.

The cheaper ones are for the Manual transmission, not DSG. Means you won't get paddle shifts. However, the one for 305 Euro is a paddle shift equipped with red stitching and flat bottom. Thats the one bhp-ian Kapil got for his Zeal edition Octy.

Here is the seller's email id. onegasro@gmail.com

His name is Andrey Vatulya. You can email him and expect an immediate reply. First of all you can ask him for a discount, and if he doesn't agree, he will tell you that he will send you some freebies. He sent me an LED torch. Just saying, these things don't cost much, but thats the point of freebies. Where is the harm in asking anyways?
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2015, 09:33   #149
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 120
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DSG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
At the time, it was a case where 'Euro' was the weakest of all currencies. Hence I got it in the Euro price. But it doesn't matter now as the prices in any currency are at par.

The cheaper ones are for the Manual transmission, not DSG. Means you won't get paddle shifts. However, the one for 305 Euro is a paddle shift equipped with red stitching and flat bottom. Thats the one bhp-ian Kapil got for his Zeal edition Octy.

Here is the seller's email id. onegasro@gmail.com

His name is Andrey Vatulya. You can email him and expect an immediate reply. First of all you can ask him for a discount, and if he doesn't agree, he will tell you that he will send you some freebies. He sent me an LED torch. Just saying, these things don't cost much, but thats the point of freebies. Where is the harm in asking anyways?

I didn't notice that the cheaper one was not meant for the DSG gearbox. Thanks for pointing that out. I sent the store owner an email about the price differences between the DSG steering wheels with the white and red stitching. Looks like the higher price of the steering wheel with the white stitching was a mistake. He has updated the site and now all flat bottomed steering wheels, DSG or no DSG, are priced at 305 Euros.

Now all that is left to do is convince the wife that this is worth the money. That should only take like a year .

Anyway, thanks a lot Adi for your help.
sunny310c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2015, 00:16   #150
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 780
Thanked: 765 Times
Default Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-spee...

Another FE Update on same tank as in the last post

Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1436467485.157711.jpg
Views: 1719
Size:  298.7 KB

It was the same journey as well, just a little less traffic this time.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1436467564.923368.jpg
Views: 1701
Size:  310.9 KB

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 10th July 2015 at 00:18.
adi_petrolhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Race Blue Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi Elegance DSG - Now with Paddle Shifts (pg 5) abhinav.gupta88 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 88 2nd October 2016 11:59
Black Lightning: My Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI DSG-UPDATE: DSG box replaced! Swanand Inamdar Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 130 10th September 2012 13:01
Hate Bangle??? Read this and u'll hate him more. v12 The International Automotive Scene 21 19th April 2006 01:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:13.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks