Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2015, 12:32   #151
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hubli
Posts: 13
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DSG)

Hi Adi, I have a couple of questions if u can help me out. Am not really a mod guy, like to keep my cars in stock condition. I was just going through your thread and the mods you have got for your car and suddenly this idea of modification popped up. I am thinking of getting the flat bottom steering too, but mine is a 2.0 TDI & so what do you think of the following factors:
1) Compatibility to diesel car in terms of ease of handling
2) Enjoyment Levels
3) Any other issue you think may crop up in the long run

I am also thing of getting the rear bumper with metallic diffuser and mirror covers(brushed metal) all of it from the same store you have suggested in your earlier posts. Here is the link to that http://skodadop.com/en/octavia-iii-/...l-matovye.html

And what is the kind of duty that I will have to pay to get these imported any idea?
Akshay89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2015, 21:19   #152
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 780
Thanked: 765 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay89 View Post
Hi Adi, I have a couple of questions if u can help me out. Am not really a mod guy, like to keep my cars in stock condition. I was just going through your thread and the mods you have got for your car and suddenly this idea of modification popped up. I am thinking of getting the flat bottom steering too, but mine is a 2.0 TDI & so what do you think of the following factors:

1) Compatibility to diesel car in terms of ease of handling

2) Enjoyment Levels

3) Any other issue you think may crop up in the long run





And what is the kind of duty that I will have to pay to get these imported any idea?

Hi Akshay
I am not sure you have a DSG variant or a manual. Either ways it's a great add on. Functional upgrade if you have DSG and an aesthetic upgrade if you have a manual tranny.
Enjoyment levels can mean you get the freedom to choose the gear without actually lifting your hands from the steering. It makes for a great feeling when you're cornering, and for a quick overtake.
No issues till now, have been running it for almost 5K Kms.

I personally don't like the aftermarket diffuser. Would go for a proper VRS diffuser and modify the exhaust can to fit the trapezoidal exhaust muffler tips. That would be uplifting the sporty character couple of notches.

I did not have to pay any duties luckily. Th Czech post was very detailed in its tracking and the post man hand delivered it to me in Ahmedabad. Fellow bhpian Kapil had to pay little bit to get his shipment with the steering released. If you stay put, don't show any interest for a couple of days after it has arrived at the sub foreign post office in your city, I think you'll be off without having to pay anything.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 10th July 2015 at 21:22.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 17:43   #153
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 120
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DSG)

Hey Adi, quick update on my quest to get the flat bottom steering wheel. Managed to convince the wife within a couple of days (which was a huge surprise). The secret to doing it was to first tell her the price that Vagtune was asking for it, which she obviously laughed off, and then after a while, suggest the cheaper alternative from skodadop. That did the trick. So I ordered the steering wheel and just like in your case, the product arrived at my doorstep within 10 days without me having to pay an extra penny.

Booked an appointment for last Saturday with the Skoda service centre and got the job done. It only took around 10 minutes. A quick test drive to confirm everything was working and I was on my way.

Now to the driving experience with the new steering, it definitely feels sporty. It's chunky and nice to hold. The quality of the stitching is extremely good and overall, the steering just feels better to hold than the original steering. As for the paddle shifts, I think the car just comes into its own when driving with them. Have not had the chance to drive on the highway yet but have used it on a couple of twisty roads around my home and it is very addictive. Looking forward to using it on my next highway run.

You've been a great help in this whole process and I would just like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
sunny310c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 08:28   #154
BHPian
 
muke31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 183
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Good mod Sunny, can you please post some pics and does it come with airbag?

-Mukesh
muke31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 15:51   #155
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 120
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DSG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muke31 View Post
Good mod Sunny, can you please post some pics and does it come with airbag?

-Mukesh
The steering doesn't come with an airbag. The airbag from the existing steering needs to be placed in the new one. Please refer to the below link for pics of the steering and how it is being fitted. This is from bhpian abhinav.gupta88's ownership thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3437084 (Race Blue Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi Elegance DSG - Now with Paddle Shifts (pg 5))

As for the pics, well, it isn't any different from what Adi has already shared in this thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3704664
sunny310c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 11:28   #156
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 780
Thanked: 765 Times
Default Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DSG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
Now to the driving experience with the new steering, it definitely feels sporty. It's chunky and nice to hold. The quality of the stitching is extremely good and overall, the steering just feels better to hold than the original steering. As for the paddle shifts, I think the car just comes into its own when driving with them. Have not had the chance to drive on the highway yet but have used it on a couple of twisty roads around my home and it is very addictive. Looking forward to using it on my next highway run.
You're always welcome. Do you notice any difference in the driving experience with the AC on and with the AC off?
adi_petrolhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 10:15   #157
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 120
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DSG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
You're always welcome. Do you notice any difference in the driving experience with the AC on and with the AC off?
Haven't really driven the car without the AC at all. Come to think of it, never even thought of trying that. I guess with the weather now a lot cooler in this part of the world, I could give that a shot. Have you noticed any difference?
sunny310c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 14:31   #158
YCJ
BHPian
 
YCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 32
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Hey currently what's the fuel consumption of your car?
YCJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 19:40   #159
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 780
Thanked: 765 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCJ View Post
Hey currently what's the fuel consumption of your car?
YCJ will try to answer,

1) 100% highway = 16-17 km/l with Avg. Speed 65-70 km/h

2) 100% city = 9-10 km/l

3) Mixed usage = 13-14 km/l

All using regular unleaded petrol. Never used premium brands or Speed 97. It also depends on how one drives and in what conditions.
adi_petrolhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 21:09   #160
YCJ
BHPian
 
YCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 32
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

That's really good mileage for such a powerful petrol car. I was biased towards buying the diesel version but this has made me rethink. Also the difference between petrol and diesel elegance version is too much!
YCJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2015, 09:43   #161
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 780
Thanked: 765 Times
Default

Sad to announce I had a little incident with my car yesterday. Had just got it from service and was heading home which is 125 kms from the showroom/service center. Mid - way I see that ESC error message has popped up on the MFD. Also a second later, TPMS error message pops up. Next, transmission has lost drive, power going to the engine fully, but no drive.

I stopped and tried to be silly by switching off the engine and trying to see if I can reset the error, but as I am doing so, I see smoke from the bonnet. I quickly get out and pop the hood open, throwing myself in danger and I see flames under the engine. Unfortunately I do not keep a compact fire extinguisher in the car which I deeply regret. Thankfully another car saw my peril and came to aid, told me not to worry as it just seems a wire short accident and indeed it was. After we poured a bit of water on the flames, it quickly extinguished.

Now to disconnect the battery to prevent further damage, I needed a spanner which was not available in the car. Finally I gathered the calm to call up my service manager and he promptly arranged assistance in form of a flat bed and it arrived only after 2.5 hrs. The incident happened at about 9.30 pm and I left the spot after loading the car and disconnecting the battery around 12.00 am. Thankfully excessive damage was evaded.

I took lots of pictures and preliminary verification points towards the main wiring harness that goes in to the transmission box was the one on fire and that's why the transmission lost all power. Had to pry open the gear lever to put the car in Neutral to assist towing. Car has reached the showroom/service center and I will come to know of more details later today. Fortunately the ECU and BCM is safe and all electrically I did not see any other fault. I am pretty sure the mechatronic unit would have faced damage.

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th August 2015 at 16:33. Reason: Broke your post into paragraphs for readability. Thanks & good luck.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2015, 10:00   #162
BHPian
 
rutvij's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 333
Thanked: 75 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Sad to announce I had a little incident with my car yesterday. Had just got it from service and was heading home which is 125 kms from the showroom/service center. Mid - way I see that ESC error message has popped up on the MFD. Also a second later, TPMS error message pops up. Next, transmission has lost drive, power going to the engine fully, but no drive. I stopped and tried to be silly by switching off the engine and trying to see if I can reset the error, but as I am doing so, I see smoke from the bonnet. I quickly get out and pop the hood open, throwing myself in danger and I see flames under the engine. Unfortunately I do not keep a compact fire extinguisher in the car which I deeply regret. Thankfully another car saw my peril and came to aid, told me not to worry as it just seems a wire short accident and indeed it was. After we poured a bit of water on the flames, it quickly extinguished. Now to disconnect the battery to prevent further damage, I needed a spanner which was not available in the car. Finally I gathered the calm to call up my service manager and he promptly arranged assistance in form of a flat bed and it arrived only after 2.5 hrs. The incident happened at about 9.30 pm and I left the spot after loading the car and disconnecting the battery around 12.00 am. Thankfully excessive damage was evaded. I took lots of pictures and preliminary verification points towards the main wiring harness that goes in to the transmission box was the one on fire and that's why the transmission lost all power. Had to pry open the gear lever to put the car in Neutral to assist towing. Car has reached the showroom/service center and I will come to know of more details later today. Fortunately the ECU and BCM is safe and all electrically I did not see any other fault. I am pretty sure the mechatronic unit would have faced damage.
I just saw a black octavia with vrs badge and Team bhp sticker being pushed into the service station and instantly knew that it has to be your car. It is very unfortunate and I hope there is no major problem and your car is back and running.

I have given my car for 6 months check up and also for changing broken tail lamp. Thankfully they have it in stock.
rutvij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2015, 10:21   #163
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 780
Thanked: 765 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
I just saw a black octavia with vrs badge and Team bhp sticker being pushed into the service station and instantly knew that it has to be your car. It is very unfortunate and I hope there is no major problem and your car is back and running.

I have given my car for 6 months check up and also for changing broken tail lamp. Thankfully they have it in stock.
Feel free to nose around and try to look what they are doing with my car as I won't be visiting the service centre anytime soon.
adi_petrolhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2015, 11:37   #164
BHPian
 
rutvij's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 333
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Feel free to nose around and try to look what they are doing with my car as I won't be visiting the service centre anytime soon.
I did ask my service adviser about your car. He was aware of it and told me that there was some issue due to modifications made in steering wheel.
rutvij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2015, 11:48   #165
BHPian
 
pedrolourenco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Margao, Goa
Posts: 621
Thanked: 265 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Sad to announce I had a little incident with my car yesterday.
Sorry to hear that.

Quote:
I stopped and tried to be silly by switching off the engine and trying to see if I can reset the error,
What's silly about that. That's actually smart. If you can't figure out what's wrong, shut down everything.

Quote:
I quickly get out and pop the hood open, throwing myself in danger and I see flames under the engine.
Time for you to do a bit of reading on fire fighting.

Quote:
Unfortunately I do not keep a compact fire extinguisher in the car which I deeply regret.
Remember a fire extinguisher requires yearly servicing / inspection to ensure it will work when required.

Quote:
After we poured a bit of water on the flames, it quickly extinguished.
Two fundamental mistakes here:
1. Electrical fire: Never use water.
2. Oil Fire: Never use water.

Quote:
Now to disconnect the battery to prevent further damage,
Wise decision. Probably saved you a lot of money.

Quote:
Fortunately the ECU and BCM is safe and all electrically I did not see any other fault.
Probably because of your above action.
pedrolourenco is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Race Blue Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi Elegance DSG - Now with Paddle Shifts (pg 5) abhinav.gupta88 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 88 2nd October 2016 11:59
Black Lightning: My Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI DSG-UPDATE: DSG box replaced! Swanand Inamdar Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 130 10th September 2012 13:01
Hate Bangle??? Read this and u'll hate him more. v12 The International Automotive Scene 21 19th April 2006 01:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:13.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks