Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 18th February 2016, 05:50   #241
BHPian

Got the car back yesterday, here are my observations and notes:

The "multi-clutch" was replaced, which is a very tedious and time consuming process. I saw a video online, and there are few small parts that have to be replaced entirely while opening a gearbox, and I confirmed at the dealer, they showed me all the old parts including the entire clutch. It's a fair bit of complicated machinery.

Initial observation, after 150 kms driving, I am 99.5% happy. There is very slight almost un-noticeable vibration in the pedals when the car is idling, or just beginning to crawl from a standstill. Have to confirm that with the service manager next week. He's busy this week with the New Superb showcase in Pune.

But the original issues have vanished! No judder, no jerk, no vibration, no rpm fluctuation in any gear at any speed. I think the software is to be blamed, which let's the clutch slip in D2 at speeds below 10 km/h, rather than shifting it in D1. I try to put it in 1st now, when possible. Hope the gearbox and all its glorious components last another 50K kms.

The warranty process is smooth as silk! Not a single penny charged.

Car was also serviced:
1) engine oil replaced
2) oil filter replaced
3) air filter replaced
4) cabin filter replaced.

Total with labour, ₹11600/-

Now, regarding spark plugs, I tried to convince him but he counter convinced me that the Change of plugs is not required as its only needed in 6 years or 90000 kms. So we skipped it. Also the brake fluid is supposed to be changed only after three years, and there after every two years, so I still have about 9 months to go there.

The suspension creaking has not been resolved, some lubrication is applied to the control arm, but over sharp bumps, creaking is still there.

If any further updates, I will let you all know. The invoice is still not generated as the warranty case is still to be "officially" closed in the system, although dealer has assured that I shall have the invoice with warranty repairs within two days. Pretty happy with the service and support.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 19:55   #242
BHPian

Wow your service centre is pretty good in that case.
Can you post your previous service cost breakups etc? I got my car back from its 30k service a couple of days back with a bill for 15k or thereabouts.
rugsrags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 21:13   #243
BHPian

@Adi
Good to hear that your car is back and running well. You will notice difference in idling after servicing. Same was the case with me after first servicing. I also found difference in driving characteristics may be because of DSG reset.
rutvij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2016, 18:23   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DSG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Got the car back yesterday, here are my observations and notes:
If any further updates, I will let you all know. The invoice is still not generated as the warranty case is still to be "officially" closed in the system, although dealer has assured that I shall have the invoice with warranty repairs within two days. Pretty happy with the service and support.
Hi Adi,

Can you please let us know of any updates on your car? I did see some posts of yours on another thread about your car requiring a gearbox change.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2016, 08:20   #245
BHPian

Hi Nikhil

I am still awaiting the news from my dealer, and once the gearbox arrives I will be supervising the fitment along with a Skoda technician from the factory. Once that's done, I'll be updating the thread in detail. The best place to find everything on the gearbox issues for my car and doscr 's car too, is the other thread dedicated to shuddering issues with gearbox.
adi_petrolhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 16:29   #246
BHPian

Default Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DSG)

Update: New Gearbox under Extended Warranty

After exactly 45 days since I gave my car to the dealer, to check the noise from the gearbox, I got my car back yesterday.

If I calculate my complaints for Clutch slipping, Mechatronic fire, other niggles, Skoda kept my car for a good 3 months in the last 1 year.

After engaging the top management at Skoda India and getting very good support from the dealer in Ahmedabad, Skoda gave my car a new gearbox, as they couldn't find the solution to the problem of noise from D2-> D3. Also the car was feeling too lethargic, flywheel was bad, etc. etc.

They changed the gearbox, and as of now I have driven the car for about 150 kms, I do see a change in the car, and the issue seems to have been sorted.

I am still going to run in this new gear box for at least 2000-3000 Kms, before I get to properly pass my judgement on the whole repair situation.

Skoda India did various experiments on my car, instead of me telling them from the first day itself, to replace the entire gearbox. Instead, they changed 2 clutch packs, various shim adjusters, multiple removal and refitting of the gearbox, it had only aggravated the problem.

They did not send a technician from the factory to inspect the problem, rather sent one to do the finishing of the job, for ex. the basic settings in the DSG 'box is supposed to be done on the road, so that part was done by the technician as I am told. My experience with Skoda has been horrendous, but I am pretty sure if I had a bad dealer, I would have needed to write off the vehicle. The dealer supported me every step of the problem without any frustration.

I am yet to receive the road worthy fitness certificate from Skoda, and a guarantee for the gearbox and related components even after the extended warranty is over.

I intend to keep the vehicle for at least 3 more years, so thats the least they can do for me to have a peaceful ownership for the remainder of the period.

I shall report back with observations after 5000 kms.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 20:59   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am yet to receive the road worthy fitness certificate from Skoda, and a guarantee for the gearbox and related components even after the extended warranty is over.

I intend to keep the vehicle for at least 3 more years, so thats the least they can do for me to have a peaceful ownership for the remainder of the period.

I shall report back with observations after 5000 kms.
I didn't quite understand what you mean by 'warranty is over' when your extended warranty is still in force.
Could you please clarify ?
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 22:46   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I didn't quite understand what you mean by 'warranty is over' when your extended warranty is still in force.

Could you please clarify ?

I mentioned 'extended warranty'. Since the parts are not as reliable as we would expect, they can fail even after extended warranty is over, in my case it's going to be next year October. As I plan to keep the car for another 3-4 years at least, they should agree right now that goodwill warranty will apply to gearbox related issues.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2016, 07:29   #249
BHPian

Quote:
I mentioned 'extended warranty'. Since the parts are not as reliable as we would expect, they can fail even after extended warranty is over, in my case it's going to be next year October. As I plan to keep the car for another 3-4 years at least, they should agree right now that goodwill warranty will apply to gearbox related issues.
Hey adi,

Its safe to say that this ownership experience hasn't been all that great. You have had to endure quite a bit. All of this must have been slightly less painful due to the positive attitude of the after sales dept. Im sure you know and are in touch with many other 1.8 tsi owners. Overall did you just get unlucky with this one or is this particular model clearly unreliable? Has it reached the unreliability levels of the notorious skoda superb mechatronic issue?
vinj14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2016, 10:11   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
Overall did you just get unlucky with this one or is this particular model clearly unreliable? Has it reached the unreliability levels of the notorious skoda superb mechatronic issue?
I am indeed in touch with lot of TSI Octy owners and most of them are trouble free ones till now, except those who use the car as their everyday workhorse, and have a higher running like mine, that is at least 2500-3000 Kms every month. This last month when I was using my Vento instead of the Octy, I clocked additional 4000 kms on the Vento! As far as my knowledge goes, this is an actual quality issue, or improper homologation. Skoda is lenient and lazy it seems on the process in India as compared to their homologation in markets such as China. During my frequent visits to the service centre to check on my vehicle, I saw more than two Superbs with the gearboxes removed, and at least two Octys with he gearbox problems, and one of them was even a TDI. So yes, seems like an overall problem and not just in my case.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 09:33   #251
BHPian

A thought - will the DSG be more reliable if we use it in manual mode in the city, and use the auto only on highway drives?
kdadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 15:09   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdadi View Post
A thought - will the DSG be more reliable if we use it in manual mode in the city, and use the auto only on highway drives?
Defeats the very purpose of an automatic in my humble opinion. Something that I tend to do in extended 5 km/hr bumper-to-bumper traffic is to use D1 manually so that the DSG doesn't keep shifting up to D2 and thereby slipping the clutch continuously.

I also drive the DSG as hard as I can whenever I get the chance to clear out the slow speed gremlins
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 15:36   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1 to itwasntme. Using manual mode in bumper to bumper traffic has the advantage of preventing the gearbox from slipping clutch in 2nd gear. This should definitely increase clutch life. However, this will totally beat the purpose of an automatic that is supposed to give a relaxed hassle-free ride in traffic.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 17:39   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Defeats the very purpose of an automatic in my humble opinion. Something that I tend to do in extended 5 km/hr bumper-to-bumper traffic is to use D1 manually so that the DSG doesn't keep shifting up to D2 and thereby slipping the clutch continuously.

I also drive the DSG as hard as I can whenever I get the chance to clear out the slow speed gremlins
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
+1 to itwasntme. Using manual mode in bumper to bumper traffic has the advantage of preventing the gearbox from slipping clutch in 2nd gear. This should definitely increase clutch life. However, this will totally beat the purpose of an automatic that is supposed to give a relaxed hassle-free ride in traffic.
I agree, but unfortunately if they had offered 1.8TSI Octavia in a manual, I wouldn't have bothered about the auto. Gem of a car & engine, spoiled by the reliability issues of the dsg.
kdadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 19:26   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gem of a car & engine, spoiled by the reliability issues of the dsg.
OT. Yes. This DSG7 spoils many VAG cars - Octavia 1.8tsi, Superb 1.8tsi, Audi A3 TSi (not 100℅ sure of this though), Polo GT TSi, Beatle, and the upcoming Polo GTi. As I have mentioned many times before, God only knows why VAG is sticking to this unreliable dry clutch design.

Recently, saw a news that one of the latest Audis comes with a 7 speed wet clutch design. Hope they migrate to wet clutch in the coming years.

Last edited by graaja : 17th May 2016 at 19:34.
graaja is online now   Reply With Quote