Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 15th May 2017, 13:33   #286
BHPian

Default Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DSG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadnaik View Post

So - this is the question - would you say after 80K kms, it was worth it?
Sorry for the great delay in response. After 80K kms, one gets to know all the quirks of one's car/vehicle. I have had a major share of problems in the car, and overtime it was the dealership support that made all the problems get sorted.

Without a good dealer, I wouldn't recommend this 1.8 TSI DSG combo still. No matter how and what they say about a lot of incremental updates to the hardware over the years, trust me when I say this, Skoda Czech, has no idea what Skoda India does when a problem occurs, and their involvement is bare minimum. They only say 'yes' or 'no' when asked questions for typical problems, they do not give additional information. Thats where my car's repairs took a long time and also wrong parts were installed in place of the correct ones.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 16:30   #287
BHPian

Ahh. This is torturous. I've never been so conflicted about a vehicle before. I'm literally left with no other choice. I thought it would be worth giving Skoda a shot after their recent upgrades to their service schemes etc. And I certainly don't want to go for a Vento again - since I'm almost about done with Volkswagen's poor service backup. Regardless - thanks for the reply. Puts a lot more into perspective and was a real help.
ahmadnaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 21:01   #288
BHPian

Update, Monsoon 'free' check up:

I had booked myself an appointment for the Pre-monsoon camp at our dealer. It's supposed to be a comprehensive check up and alerts users if there are any parts that need to be changed before monsoons such as wipers, pads, washer fluid, etc.

My additional complaints were irregular coolant levels, jerkiness at start up, suspension noise has increased, overall car felt vague to drive and squeaky ORVM. Yes, although they changed mine to the new ones from the Style plus, almost a year ago, the noise is still there while opening and closing.

After inspection, they checked and informed me that the main bush mount in the sub frame is broken and will need replacement. Along with that it was time to change the front suspension's lower arm bushes too. So in all five rubber bushes were needed to be replaced.

The Alternator belt was checked, slight wear seen on the edges and since it's not a very expensive part I approved the replacement.

The front brake pads were already squealing (it's the brake pad wear indicator rubbing the disc to make you aware it's time to change the pads) hence were approved for change along with a set of new front disc rotors.

The mechanic designated to my car was thorough in his method of removal of the front suspension and made sure all the necessary bolts that are coming off, will be replaced with new ones!

The driving experience after the replacements: huge difference in the first 50 kms. Obviously the brakes are sharper being all new, but the car feels fit! As if it's been to the gym and pumped some weights. The change of bushes, means the jerks everytime I revved the car or even on start up is completely gone. The lower arm bushes have made the car ride better over potholes and rough patches.

Don't know if the struts are due for replacement yet or not, will be checking during next service.

About the coolant levels, it was diagnosed that the water pump was leaking and indeed I was shown a white trail of coolant along the water pump housing which confirmed the issue. Since the car is still under extended warranty, water pump replacement would have to be approved and part ordered. Hence the car had to be left with them for the week. Otherwise they had completed all suspension and brakes related work on the same day.

Coolant levels as of now are constant, and I'll only know after driving some good amount of distance before I can detect any irregularities.

One thing is for sure, the vehicle is strong, neatly put together, systematic, but it's a reason for worry. You don't want your prized possession to get ruined by coolant running low or may be a worn out bush, etc. It's almost embarrassing when I was constantly checking for the coolant levels after every time I drove the car, even for short distances. I would get out, open the hood and just inspect the coolant levels, it had become a habit and will remain for a bit.

The total damage of all the parts and extensive labour, around ₹28,000/-

Of course the coolant issue was covered under warranty. This amount includes the bushes, discs, pads and alternator belt, along with all the necessary labour.

Time to hit pedal to the metal and enjoy the changes to the car. Will report if there are any unforeseen changes in drivability after the parts were changed.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2017, 15:22   #289
BHPian

Default Re: Love Hate Relationship: My Magic Black Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance (7-speed DSG)

Great to know that your vehicle is back with good health.

I remember from one of your posts that you had got Octy TDI as a loaner car for some time. I am quite tempted to ask how did you find the TDI vehicle in terms of ride and handling on rough patches compared to your TSI which is equipped with multi-link suspension.
sups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2017, 09:17   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
how did you find the TDI vehicle in terms of ride and handling on rough patches compared to your TSI which is equipped with multi-link suspension.

On a straight highway with some rough patches on the road, you don't notice the difference especially from the front seat. Because of the torque, the car just plugs through everything in its way. It wasn't as confidence inspiring as the Jetta, but again I was driving it quite sedately being a loaner car.

When I got my car back, it felt like I was missing something completely. The TDI had a gruff engine, stinks after every drive, smaller rev band so not as exciting to drive, and the torque coming in later than in the TSI.

Last edited by GTO : 5th June 2017 at 17:51. Reason: As requested :)
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote