Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 31st May 2014, 22:51   #1
BHPian

Default Tata Manza Club Class VX - 12 months of joy unlimited!

Ownership Report

Vehicle – Tata Club Class Manza Vx.
Engine – 4 Cylinder, Common Rail, Diesel
Engine Capacity – 1248cc
Max. Power – 90PS @ 4000RPM

A SORT OF PRELUDE TO THIS REPORT

During a chance conversation with GTO got asked this question
“Have you put up your ownership report?”
I answered in the negative and indicated would do so in sometime. To be honest and with due apologies to GTO I had no intention of doing any such thing and was being polite at that point. But somewhere in my mind that question set me thinking and after many days of thought decided that I would put up my ownership report!

Some of the reasons

Not many people on this forum talk about the Manza.

A lot of Tata bashing takes place on this forum. No issues everybody has a point of view and everyone is entitled to it. So since I have had a positive experience I decided I would put it up as I personally don’t understand the negative feedback. Maybe I have been lucky! TOUCHWOOD!

Finally I thought if Tata has improved the product from the past offering then people should atleast know about it.

Finally, I don’t claim nor am I an expert on Automobiles. I am just a normal guy who loves to drive and enjoy the experience of the car!

All views and opinions expressed by me in this report is purely my personal opinion and is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings!

History of Purchase

I had owned a TATA Indica DLS Turbo for 5 years and while it was in excellent condition with my son growing and the want to upgrade to a Sedan the decision was made sometime in March 2013 that we should upgrade.

So we made a list of possible car’s
The Honda Amaze which was to debut soon was high on the list followed by
Toyota – Etios, Fiat Linea, Chevy SAIL Sedan, FORD Fiesta Classic, Mahindra Verito and finally The MANZA.

Began the process of visiting the dealers and do the test drives.

First up AMAZE and to tell the truth my heart was set on the Honda. The first experience was a let down. The response from the sales guy was condescending to say the least possibly because he saw me drive in with my Tata Indica ( mind you in immaculate condition ). Well to cut the long story short did the test drive and I was not convinced. The noise inside was quiet loud and I felt I had only got a bit more space from my Indica. Asked the guy about the noise and he said this was a test vehicle and the insulation was not proper. Anyways I got the details and left not happy with the car. The car felt peppy and drive quality was good but I could not connect with it.

Next Toyota – did not like it.. space was good but again felt it was noisy and the centre display put me off completely.

Next up came the Ford Fiesta Classic – really liked the car and short listed it. The Tata Showroom is right next door and I did not go there as yet as I was not looking at Tata car seriously after having been an owner of a Tata Car for 5 years. No issues with the car just wanted to check the other side of the grass so to speak.

Next came the Chevy SAIL SEDAN – Again liked the car the feel, the engine and also the ride quality and short listed it.

Next came the Fiat Linea and loved the car. No trouble at all. The built quality to me felt like the best among all the cars I had seen.

Next Mahindra and while everything was good I somehow did not connect with the car.

Finally we landed up at Tata. Sat in the display car in the showroom and I had this impression that everything about this car was big. The wifey agreed and it looked like she had fallen for it. The display car was the Infinity black model and she looked good! Asked for a test drive and out came an old Manza. Possibly 2 years old and the guy was at pains to explain what was new in the club class and what had been removed. A lot of time was spent explaining to me the difference and once that was done he asked me tentatively if I still wanted to do the test drive. I said yes and told him to drive and me sat at the back and asked him to drive through a stretch which was pot holed. Smooth. After a bit I asked to drive and once I had taken the car on Ghodbunder Road I suddenly realized the power in the vehicle when I stretched her. The car felt smooth, responsive and the view was good. I liked the car immensely. Came back home and finally took the call that it would be the Manza! Booked the QJet Infinity Black Vx Model. This was a model just below the top model (Ex) and it did not have airbags, alloy wheel, temperature indication and I think follow me lamps.

The car ready for Delivery by the 15th of May 2013. Unfortunately or fortunately as the case maybe I was travelling and came back only by the 23rd of May 2013. A good day to collect the vehicle was decided based on astronomy data and it was decided to pick the car in the morning hours of the 27th May 2013.

Come the 27th and the family was at the showroom even before the showroom had opened. After a bit of delay not because of any fault of the Tata dealer but because we had arrived early the car was brought out washed and a small pooja conducted. A small handing over formality some snaps taken and we took delivery of the Black Beauty!

The next day 28th we drove down to Goa and after 7 days came back for its first service. It could possibly be a record for a car to have its first service within 7 days!

REVIEW

What I liked about the car ? Mostly everything!

What I would like improved?

The storage space on the doors needs to be increased to take a 1 litre bottle. The quality of matting provided. Maybe it’s by the dealer but this needs to be improved.

THE CAR AS A WHOLE

The moment you sit inside a Manza you feel secure and comfortable. The view from the driver’s seat is good and clear. The driver seat has good adjustment levels and also the quality of seat is just right not too soft nor too hard. The steering wheel is placed just right and again has a good feel to it. The controls are also placed well though some may have a problem with the placement of the stalks. I don’t have a problem.

When one sits at the back you suddenly realize the immense luxury of space that the Manza offers. My kid loves sitting in the front with the seat fully pushed back and I still have space behind. I am fairly tall around 5’10 and have no issue sitting at the back. Thigh support is excellent and really proves itself on long drives.

ENGINE & DRIVE

The Manza comes equipped with the Fiat Engine and I guess it’s the same engine which does duty in the Linea, Dzire, SAIL to name a few.

After having driven this beauty for the past 12months, what do I feel? The engine is superb. Off the block a bit slow but if you put your foot down the beauty surges / jumps, the turbo kicks in and she lifts herself up without any issue. The shift from 2nd to 3rd will leave most of her competitors staring and she is away spiritedly! The drive quality is excellent! I have now driven her over butter smooth roads and also bumpy stretches and the quality of ride is excellent.The noise levels are also good and its only when I really step on the pedal that engine noise makes itself felt inside.

A few things about the Manza.

The suspension of Manza has 2 parts to it. A front and rear. The front seat is extremely comfortable and makes very little difference on a smooth road or bumpy road. The rear seat on a bumpy road can be bumpy if the car is not fully occupied. The Manza needs to be fully packed and from my point of view has been designed to accommodate a full sized 5 member family (khaate peete parivar )!The Boot also needs to be completely packed for the Manza to be uniformly stable on long drives / bad roads at high speeds.

The rear tends to have understeer ( drift )at high speed corners and this gets corrected if you lower speeds. This happens only if the car is empty and not occupied at the rear but once the car is fully occupied no such problems. The car behaves smoothly even at high speed corners once properly filled up. I have heard people say that the rear is bouncy but this is only if it is empty. The car has been designed to handle people and take on weight. I don’t see this as a drawback and practically speaking I don’t see people buy a Manza to run constantly on high speed corners.

Brakes – The Manza has awesome brakes. Step on it and it will stop right there without a problem. My Manza has been rear ended twice and bears testimony to its awesome brakes. Twice I have had to brake suddenly at speeds of over 80kms and both times while my beauty stopped right on dot the car behind me banged into me. Once an Alto and the other time a Dzire.

The Manza is meant for highways and loves the highway! It’s ideal speed is around 100kms, overtaking on highways, climbing ghats is a breeze and she can run for thousands of kilometers without complain. Fuel efficiency on highways is awesome and I have achieved a Mumbai – Nashik average of 24.8 km/litre. On city drives Turbo lag plays up and can be a pain. I still manage very decent averages in city drives averaging around 16.5km/l. I recently did Mumbai -Kerala and got a overall average of over 22km/l. I did Mumbai - Tumkur that's nearly 900 kms on one tankful.

The New Manza Club Class comes with a Touch Screen Navigation system along with the features which the earlier model came equipped. The Top Model has airbags and also infinity contrast roof’s. I did not choose the Top Model. I chose the one lower the Vx.

Built Quality is good. I have had no problems in the last 12 months and a couple of things I have actually liked.. The Manza looks regal and in black stands out. I particularly like the old generation back with its rear lights which kind of give it an American look. The AC is excellent and can cool a cabin after being exposed to the sun in a relatively short period of time. I personally feel that the Manza has the best AC among all Indian Car’s.

What would I like improved?

The fog lamps need to be more powerful!

The clutch can feel a bit hard in city driving and needs to be adjusted.

Storage space on the doors

Final Summary

The car is probably the best car in its segment by miles and that’s my personal opinion! If given a chance will I buy the Manza again now that I have used this for an year and if given a choice will I buy another car? The Answer to that question is fairly simple. I would buy the Manza again and again eyes closed!

Given below are images ! I have still to learn how to tag images and thus have not been able to do so. Apologies!

I am no automobile engineer and this ownership review may lack the finer automobile engineering detail but is an honest attempt to put down what I have observed about my Black Beauty! If I have missed out on any aspect do give me a shout and I will try to fill the gap/ gaps!

If this report offends anyone, my apologies!

Finally a big thank you to GTO without whom this report would never have been even thought about!

Thank you for your time, patience and stopping by to read my review!

Cheers! God Bless! Stay Safe, Be Safe!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Manza Club Class VX - 12 months of joy unlimited!-imag0656.jpg  

Tata Manza Club Class VX - 12 months of joy unlimited!-imag0657.jpg  

Tata Manza Club Class VX - 12 months of joy unlimited!-imag0844.jpg  

Tata Manza Club Class VX - 12 months of joy unlimited!-imag0896.jpg  

Tata Manza Club Class VX - 12 months of joy unlimited!-imag0845.jpg  

Tata Manza Club Class VX - 12 months of joy unlimited!-imag0885.jpg  

Tata Manza Club Class VX - 12 months of joy unlimited!-imag0884.jpg  

Tata Manza Club Class VX - 12 months of joy unlimited!-imag0889.jpg  

Tata Manza Club Class VX - 12 months of joy unlimited!-imag0892.jpg  

Tata Manza Club Class VX - 12 months of joy unlimited!-imag0888.jpg  

Tata Manza Club Class VX - 12 months of joy unlimited!-imag0897.jpg  

Tata Manza Club Class VX - 12 months of joy unlimited!-imag0881.jpg  

Tata Manza Club Class VX - 12 months of joy unlimited!-imag0882.jpg  

Tata Manza Club Class VX - 12 months of joy unlimited!-imag0883.jpg  

Tata Manza Club Class VX - 12 months of joy unlimited!-imag0886.jpg  

Tata Manza Club Class VX - 12 months of joy unlimited!-imag0887.jpg  

Tata Manza Club Class VX - 12 months of joy unlimited!-imag0890.jpg  

Tata Manza Club Class VX - 12 months of joy unlimited!-imag0893.jpg  

Tata Manza Club Class VX - 12 months of joy unlimited!-imag0894.jpg  

Tata Manza Club Class VX - 12 months of joy unlimited!-imag0895.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 1st June 2014 at 13:13. Reason: Paragraph spacing :)
shashi63 is offline   (21) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 07:00   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Tata Manza Club Class VX - 12 months of joy unlimited!

Nice car Shashi.
The Manza is one of Tata's best cars. It's been a while since I sat in one, but I remember it being a big step up from the Indigo in every respect. The most impressive point of the car is undoubtedly its interior space. It can shame some car costing many times as much. Apart from that, the equipment provided makes it a great VFM prospect.
Wish you many years of happy motoring.
Aditya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 09:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Tata Manza Club Class VX - 12 months of joy unlimited!

Congrats brother. Manza is a no-nonsense car, comes with acres of space and loaded with all necessary features. With the national engine on duty, wish you have miles of happiness ahead.

I used to drive our family friend's Manza (2010 model with 1L+ on odo) and quite impressed with the level of NVH (compared to be earlier car, 2009 Linea with 60k on odo) TATA did some magic on Manza's quality. I just love the instrument cluster, it's simple and elegant. There is nothing much to complain about the car except for few T.A.S.S experience and which is again improving significantly (I suppose, from my own experience)

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 4th June 2014 at 09:34.
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 12:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Nice car Shashi.
The Manza is one of Tata's best cars. It's been a while since I sat in one, but I remember it being a big step up from the Indigo in every respect. The most impressive point of the car is undoubtedly its interior space. It can shame some car costing many times as much. Apart from that, the equipment provided makes it a great VFM prospect.
Wish you many years of happy motoring.
Thanks Aditya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Congrats brother. Manza is a no-nonsense car, comes with acres of space and loaded with all necessary features. With the national engine on duty, wish you have miles of happiness ahead.

I used to drive our family friend's Manza (2010 model with 1L+ on odo) and quite impressed with the level of NVH (compared to be earlier car, 2009 Linea with 60k on odo) TATA did some magic on Manza's quality. I just love the instrument cluster, it's simple and elegant. There is nothing much to complain about the car except for few T.A.S.S experience and which is again improving significantly (I suppose, from my own experience)
Boss - Thanks! I have owned a Tata Car for the past 6 years ( Indica & Manza) have had no problems with Service at all.As I said maybe I am lucky! Touchwood! As far the Manza quality is concerned. Build quality of mine is really good and i agree with you the instrument cluster is simple, elegant and very eye catching! I intend to keep updating this thread and go forward with another year's review next year as well. At an average i do around 22K of running every year so next year i should be at around 50k.

Thanks again for stopping by and reading my ownership experience.
shashi63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 15:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Re: Tata Manza Club Class VX - 12 months of joy unlimited!

Nice review and a really nice looking black car! I have sat in my F-I-L's Manza and I was very impressed by the interior space and nice clean instrument cluster. It's a rare car on T-bhp, I have not seen many reviews and ownership reports. The engine is very torque in nature (I felt) and good enough to drive around in the 3rd gear. Earlier I didn't think much about Tata cars, but my experience with the Manza proved otherwise and I came back really impressed. What has been the service experience like; for you, considering not many people really think good about the Tata's service center experience?
W.A.G.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 16:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Tata Manza Club Class VX - 12 months of joy unlimited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi63 View Post
Final Summary
The car is probably the best car in its segment by miles and that’s my personal opinion! If given a chance will I buy the Manza again now that I have used this for an year and if given a choice will I buy another car? The Answer to that question is fairly simple. I would buy the Manza again and again eyes closed!
Shashi,

Congratulations on the Manza. Your wordings shows that you are one satisfied Tata customer. Glad that the Manza responds to your needs. Its amazing that you have already clocked close to 20K kms in a year of ownership. Seeing the pics shows that you maintain the car very well, Isnt black colour a bit hard to maintain?

Happy many more mile crunching and drive safely.

PS: Where in Thane?
ghodlur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 17:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Great honest review Shashi, The Manza indeed seems to be a very practical car, and She looks great in black. I love the way you've fitted her out with all the gadgets. Love the GPS unit.

Wish you many miles of driving pleasure. All the best.
Lalvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 18:40   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Nice review and a really nice looking black car! I have sat in my F-I-L's Manza and I was very impressed by the interior space and nice clean instrument cluster. It's a rare car on T-bhp, I have not seen many reviews and ownership reports. The engine is very torque in nature (I felt) and good enough to drive around in the 3rd gear. Earlier I didn't think much about Tata cars, but my experience with the Manza proved otherwise and I came back really impressed. What has been the service experience like; for you, considering not many people really think good about the Tata's service center experience?
Hey, Thanks for the positive response. As i indicated owned an Indica DLS Turbo before the Manza. The Indica clocked nearly 120K and was a hassle free VFM car. Tata has 2 service centres in Thane namely Balaji & George Auto. My experience with Tata Service has been good. They may not be the best in terms of at your feet service but they do their job and I guess over the years i have developed a relationship with the guys so honestly i have had only positive experiences. I tell them what i expect and tell them honestly if i feel they have to improve and it seems to work for me. The Manza has been a delight to me in terms of performance, mileage, value and above all reliability ( Touchwood !) Thanks once again for your positive comments! God Bless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Shashi,

Congratulations on the Manza. Your wordings shows that you are one satisfied Tata customer. Glad that the Manza responds to your needs. Its amazing that you have already clocked close to 20K kms in a year of ownership. Seeing the pics shows that you maintain the car very well, Isnt black colour a bit hard to maintain?

Happy many more mile crunching and drive safely.

PS: Where in Thane?
Ghodlur, Thanks! I do tend to take off whenever an opportunity appears. So i guess the mileage i have done is more or less similar to what i do every year. The Indica did around 120K in 5 years and i have done 23k in the Manza. Love driving specially if i have a car like the Manza I predict i may do a lot more travel All Colours are hard to maintain. All need a bit of love and affection is what i feel. I havent done much except for a polish rub occasionally and I have yet to get the rear done up after having been rear ended twice.

I am located at Happy Valley near Tikujiniwadi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Great honest review Shashi, The Manza indeed seems to be a very practical car, and She looks great in black. I love the way you've fitted her out with all the gadgets. Love the GPS unit.

Wish you many miles of driving pleasure. All the best.
Thanks Lalvaz,

The New Manza Club class comes equipped with the GPS in its Vx & Ex Models. Huge improvement over earlier Models and as I indicated in my review she looks regal in Black (again my opinion).
shashi63 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 19:42   #9
BHPian

Hi Shashi nice write up. The Manza is a great car and so is the performance. My brother owns one that's how I know.
You rightly pointed out about the handling and that the car feels more stable with 3 in the back seat. We felt the same on the highway at speeds in excess of 130 kph. The rear of the car felt very light as if it would step out of line.
Its best to drive at speeds of 110-120 max on the highway.
bigben is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2014, 15:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Hi Shashi nice write up. The Manza is a great car and so is the performance. My brother owns one that's how I know.
You rightly pointed out about the handling and that the car feels more stable with 3 in the back seat. We felt the same on the highway at speeds in excess of 130 kph. The rear of the car felt very light as if it would step out of line.
Its best to drive at speeds of 110-120 max on the highway.
Hey Bigben,

Thanks for the kind words.

Apologies for the late acknowledgement. My experience tells me that if the Manza is fully loaded rear seat and luggage it is an extremely stable car and the feel of lightness disappears. Also tyre pressure plays an extremely important role. I have tried various tyre pressures and finally realised that TML has designed this car for full loads at 32psi which is the recommended tyre pressure.

The car is made for higways and long drives and the FE it provides is phenomenal for a large sedan.

I am sure your brother enjoys his drives as well!
shashi63 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 02:01   #11
BHPian

Excellent review. I always had the opinion that Manza was a vastly improved, refined vehicle with ample space as compared to other TATA vehicles and you have proved me right. The quality of interiors inside is also good enough to live with, although not the best but better than some competitors.

Personally I have a 5 year old Vista TDI model which has covered only 21k kms. The vehicle has never let me down. This model particularly came with the old plastic interiors which are not of good quality but then again they do not rattle and do their job well.

I was a very satisfied customer till date but now I have a issue with my 1st-2nd synchronizer all because of a mis-adjusted clutch from the company. This being my 1st car I couldnot realise it in time. But otherwise the car is doing well and serving me well.
amit_purohit20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 10:46   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi63 View Post
Ownership Report

Vehicle – Tata Club Class Manza Vx.
Engine – 4 Cylinder, Common Rail, Diesel
Engine Capacity – 1248cc
Max. Power – 90PS @ 4000RPM
Congratulations, that's a good ownership report, and a good ride too!

She looks great, and I'm guessing the pictures don't do justice to her. Also, Tata seems to have greatly improved the build quality on their cars, I can't see any of their trademark panel gaps, loose fittings, or other general quality issues. When you combine that with your positive experience over the last year, they seem to have stepped up their game.

A few questions though -
  1. Since you shopped around the segment when you bought it, do you think the Manza was a value for money car, compared to the competition? If you did, do you still think it is, today?
  2. Are you happy with the service station and Tata after-sales? How do they treat you at the workshop? Are the parts and labour priced reasonably? Is their turnaround time decent? Are you happy with the warranty work (if any)?

Again, congratulations, and I hope the car gives you many many years of happy motoring.
Ponkermania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 11:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
I was a very satisfied customer till date but now I have a issue with my 1st-2nd synchronizer all because of a mis-adjusted clutch from the company. This being my 1st car I couldnot realise it in time. But otherwise the car is doing well and serving me well.
Thanks Amit, I hope your clutch issue is resolved soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponkermania View Post
A few questions though -
  1. Since you shopped around the segment when you bought it, do you think the Manza was a value for money car, compared to the competition? If you did, do you still think it is, today?
  2. Are you happy with the service station and Tata after-sales? How do they treat you at the workshop? Are the parts and labour priced reasonably? Is their turnaround time decent? Are you happy with the warranty work (if any)?
Hey Ponkermania, Thanks,

The Answer to your questions

1. The Manza is a HUGE VFM Car in my opinion. Highly unrated by people as well. As I have already indicated if given choice today after having driven the Manza for a year i would buy the Manza eyes closed!

2. I have had a Tata vehicle for the past 6 years now ( Indica Turbo DLS V2 and now the Manza), Personally i have had no problems with them. I have over the years developed an equation and relationship with the guys at Tata Service. I have mentioned this in response earlier as well. As far as the Manza is concerned i have had no problems so can't comment on price etc.. I have had the regular 3rd service oil change and i have on my own changed the coolant before my kerala trip and that's about all. I have had on time delivery and also as I said they may not be at your feet where service is concerned but do the job to my satisfaction. The guys at the service centre are now aware that if I am not satisfied I will make them do it the way I want the job to be done. So no hassles as of now. As I say time and again maybe i am lucky, TOUCHWOOD!
shashi63 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2014, 08:58   #14
BHPian

Hey.Guys Just to give you'll an update.The Black Beauty crossed the 25K mark a few weeks back and still continues to provide the same service levels as before. No compliants, No break downs, No Hassles.Have done a small trip in between to Pune and a half day trip to Karnala Bird Sanctuary and a bit beyond. Enjoying this beauty of a car! Absolutely Joy! The FE i get is still around 16.3 - 16.5 in city driving with full time AC on. With the Monsoons arriving have had the opportunity to really feel the car in the rains after an year of ownership and the car delights in every aspect. The brakes come alive in the wet and are a delight as they inspire such confidence while driving in the rains. Essentially I personally feel that if the brakes are not up to the mark then your level of confidence behind the wheel is badly shaken.

Great car!

Touchwood!

Cheers!

Last edited by shashi63 : 26th July 2014 at 09:00.
shashi63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2014, 13:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats brother on your black beauty there. A sedan in black, with beige interiors;it doesn't get better than that.
Manza is a typical no-nonsense Tata car, with great interiors(in all aspects), a decent exterior and just so much space :P
It's great to hear that you havent been facing any problems with A.S.S(touchwood) and this does help in building our confidence towards tat, who are often let down oly by their service, but otherwise offer great products which are fantastic VFM.
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote