Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 29th July 2017, 12:46   #61
BHPian

Default Re: 18 years and 177,000 kilometers with my Maruti Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Happened with me too when I tried to repair the speedo myself. I didn't take it to the speedo repair guy as I was wary of getting dust and scratches on the speedo since no one would handle the speedo as carefully as the owner himself.

One tip: Even if the speedo guy fixes it, don't just leave the place immediately. Do a couple of 0-100 and 100-0 relaxed runs and see if the needle settles at its usual place. The hairspring below the needle is a funny thing.

Regards,
Shashi
IIRC, this problem was there on the day it was fixed also. He did play around quite a bit to set it right! We did a couple of 0-60 and 60-0 runs and noticed that the speedometer was a little slow to get back to the zero position. The repair guy assured me it would get better and eventually it did! But now, looks like I need to visit him once more . Won't get this fixed now but will get it fixed later when something else in the speedometer stops working because these old parts from what I have experienced, are very brittle and tend to break easily if not handled with kid gloves. But, to the repair guys credit unlike the others I have seen, he did handle all the parts with a lot of care and cleaned the speedometer very well.

Last edited by swamyzen : 29th July 2017 at 12:48.
swamyzen is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2017, 00:24   #62
BHPian

This box of happiness arrived today .

18 years and 177,000 kilometers with my Maruti Zen-img_20170920_162242.jpg

What did it contain?
Parts which I had lost all hopes on finding.

How did it happen?
All thanks to Bhpian Leoshashi.

Here are the parts which I got today.

1. Seat rails - I searched all over Bangalore and Mysore but was just not able to procure them. Leoshashi also tried his best to get the parts to Bangalore but the seat rails were no more manufactured by Maruti and hence were not available. However, his MASS/MGP store did have them in stock and he shipped them across to Bangalore. The seat rails are after all a part which rarely fails. So naturally, demand too is very low for them and Maruti discontinued it.

18 years and 177,000 kilometers with my Maruti Zen-img_20170920_231329.jpg

2. Zen-VX and Maruti Suzuki stickers - I was 100% sure after the boot door repair that there was no way I could get these stickers and the originality was gone forever. I was in fact sure that Maruti wouldn't even have made these available as spares . After all most would prefer the flashier chrome badges. But, Leoshashi gave me a pleasant surprise! He had found these and bought them exclusively for my Zen. Thanks a lot buddy! Will try and get multiple copies of these made before I use them on Zen. My elder kid has not stopped grinning ever since he saw them!

18 years and 177,000 kilometers with my Maruti Zen-img_20170920_231855.jpg

18 years and 177,000 kilometers with my Maruti Zen-zenvx.jpg

A big shoutout to Bhpian Leoshashi for all the help. Thanks a lot buddy!

The bonnet had become a mess and the colour had completely changed. Soap water had no effect. So, went ahead and applied 3M Finish Compound and here are the results.

Before

18 years and 177,000 kilometers with my Maruti Zen-after.jpg

After

18 years and 177,000 kilometers with my Maruti Zen-before.jpg

Marks left over by the previous Exide battery are permanent

18 years and 177,000 kilometers with my Maruti Zen-battery.jpg

Also applied 3M Premium Liquid Wax to the entire body.

An oil change is due in the next 800 kilometres. Will most probably continue with Shell Helix HX-7 10W40 as I am happy with the performance of the engine with this oil and I have around 2L of this oil in my garage.

Current odometer reading.
Attached Thumbnails
18 years and 177,000 kilometers with my Maruti Zen-img_20170920_204924.jpg  

Last edited by swamyzen : 21st September 2017 at 00:25.
swamyzen is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2017, 00:54   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

It was my pleasure to source these for your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamyzen View Post
Will try and get multiple copies of these made before I use them on Zen.
IMHO, no need to get the copies made. The decals prepared in aftermarket won't be perfect in terms of quality/finish. My MASS still has hundreds of these decals, and I'll send you some more if you wish. The MGP ones are super cheap too.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 22nd September 2017 at 00:56.
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2017, 23:57   #64
BHPian

On this day of 23rd September in 1998, among the many Zens' produced on this day, one particular milky white Zen rolled off Maruti's assembly line and this Zen happened to be mine. Today, Zen turned 19 years old! How time flies! Happy birthday Zen .

This year Zen gets a break for 2 days i.e. today and tomorrow. Gave Zen a thorough wash yesterday but couldn't do much other than that as I was just back from a highway drive and had to hit the highway again today morning.
Was only able to wish her and park her in the garage today morning.

A pic of the 19 year old in the garage

18 years and 177,000 kilometers with my Maruti Zen-zen1.jpg

Last edited by swamyzen : 23rd September 2017 at 23:59.
swamyzen is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 16:32   #65

Quote:
On this day of 23rd September in 1998, among the many Zens' produced on this day, one particular milky white Zen rolled off Maruti's assembly line and this Zen happened to be mine. Today, Zen turned 19 years old! How time flies!
Attachment 1679224
Hi Swamyzen,
I too have recently acquired a milky White Zen from a relative, since I could not bear letting it go out of the family.

It is a December 1999 Model, just over an year younger than yours!

I would really appreciate your assistance in maintaining it.

Which engine oil has suited the car best? The HX-7 seems to be hard to source in Chennai. My car has done 99700Km, and I wanted something that would keep the engine in good shape. Any recommendations?

Also, what should be done to the distributor, leads and sparkplugs? Ever needed to get them overhauled?

Thanks.

Here is a picture of my car:
Attached Thumbnails
18 years and 177,000 kilometers with my Maruti Zen-zen-dp.png  

AdityaRai is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 20:51   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaRai View Post
Hi Swamyzen,
I too have recently acquired a milky White Zen from a relative, since I could not bear letting it go out of the family.

It is a December 1999 Model, just over an year younger than yours!

I would really appreciate your assistance in maintaining it.
Hi Aditya,

Wow! That's a very nicely maintained Zen . Congrats! Nice to see a well maintained cousin of my Zen!

Would love to help you in maintaining your Zen.

Quote:
Which engine oil has suited the car best? The HX-7 seems to be hard to source in Chennai. My car has done 99700Km, and I wanted something that would keep the engine in good shape. Any recommendations?
I have used 10W40 grade for all oil changes in my Zen except one oil change where my MASS used 5W30. I would recommend you to use 10W40 only for your Zen considering you stay at Chennai and 5W30 may prove to be ineffective at those temperatures.
For my Zen I have used Castrol Magnatec and Shell Helix HX-7 for oil changes. Majority of the kilometres have been clocked using Castrol Magnatec whereas I have used HX-7 for the last 4 oil changes. Between the two there is very little difference. Nearing the 5K kilometres mark, the engine sounded a little smoother when Magnatec was used compared to HX-7 where you will clearly get to know the engine needs an oil change. Other than that at very high revs the engine is slightly smoother with Magnatec. Otherwise, for day to day driving both oils are equally good. Also, for the first two oil changes with HX-7 I was not completely satisfied with the performance but things are much better after the 3rd change. Shell HX-7 should be easily available at a Shell petrol bunk.
So for oil changes, I would recommend either Shell Helix HX-7 or Castrol Magnatec in 10W40 grade.

For keeping your Zen's engine in the best shape please get the oil changed religiously at 5K km's or lesser because Zen's G10B engine is notorious for having sludging issues if oil changes are not regular. Coming to fuel, please DO NOT fill in any of the premium fuels. I have ended up replacing my Zen's fuel pump because I used Bharat Petroleum's Speed fuel exactly once and that too only 6-7 litres of it. When I used Indian oils xtra premium, I noticed a lot of engine knocking. So, please use only good quality normal unleaded fuel.

Quote:
Also, what should be done to the distributor, leads and sparkplugs? Ever needed to get them overhauled?
Spark plugs, I get them changed once in every 20K km's. I would recommend you stay away from Mico Champion spark plugs. The last time I used them, I was not fully satisfied with my engines pick up. The leads have been changed once at 1 lakh kilometres and the distributor tuning is left to my SA Mr.Divakaran when the car goes for service.

Also, please make sure there's absolutely no rusting near the aprons. Zen's are again notorious for having rusting issues here.

Small update on my Zen.

A couple of weeks ago, I had a 200 km's highway trip with Zen to Gubbi. For this trip I used the A/C for 100% of the time and got an efficiency of 15 kmpl. A/C and my driving style contributed in a slightly low efficiency but to the A/C's credit, it did work very good. A problem I noted was when the A/C was switched on the engines idling decreased instead of increasing and needed accelerator input to idle smoothly. I think its something to do with carb settings but I don't want to touch the carb for now as pick up and efficiency is good.

Got an oil change done yesterday at Shell. Changes were instant this time . Engine sounds very smooth after the oil change and at idling it is Zero Engine Noise for sure! 3l of HX-7 10W40 costed around ₹1400 and a MGP oil filter was used which costed ₹77. I also had a can of HX-7 (used for top up when oil had leaked) which contained about 1l of oil which was used.

Regards,
swamyzen

Last edited by swamyzen : 14th October 2017 at 20:54.
swamyzen is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2017, 02:33   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Will try and get multiple copies of these made before I use them on Zen.
For you. These stickers should be the last thing on your mind now.

18 years and 177,000 kilometers with my Maruti Zen-img20171027wa0008.jpeg
Leoshashi is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote