Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 6th November 2009, 14:18   #76
BHPian

@ Rajesh.sml

I am planing to buy a used ford ikon 1.3 as a second car but was concerned about mileage and service costs. I am in patiala but come to chandigarh every weakend and would be getting the car serviced in chandigarh only.

Could you share the mileage (14 kmpl is for city?), average service cost and experience with service dealers in detail?
rock75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 14:25   #77
Senior - BHPian

Hi Rock, the service costs are not too high. The mileage is around 11-12kmpl in city traffic and about 14 on long drives (all with AC).
The service is pretty specific to the station but overall I havent had too many complaints.
Regarding buying a 2nd hand car, how old is the car and whats the number of kms it has done? Also check the service history of the car before you buy it.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 17:32   #78
BHPian

Hi Rock,

Apologies for late reply. The service cost will not be high if you get a good maintained one. The dealers for new Ford in Chandigarh are Bhagat Ford & Saluja Ford. I am getting Mileage nearly 14 sometime plus 14 but then no AC....

@ Sammyboy

I have a panther black Ikon Flair and run 26000 KMs ... But the Alignment Issues was really bad which ate up the front tyres within a week. so I got the XM1+ ...... I think they reduce the cabin noise very much ..... I need to get more KM's under the belt to say that the average improves.. but the ride quality certainly.

I will be uploading the pictures soon
rajesh.sml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 21:37   #79

Note from Mod : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.....like.........this.....Thanks.

Also, other readers of this community would much appreciate your observance of punctuation rules. Thanks

Hello Sammyboy ... nice report .. i too have got Ikon panther black .. i chose blast pack as i too missed leather seats. so why not atleast covers !!! i completed 45k and my car is just fit and fine... sometime back i went to drop my friend at TATA service station .. he wanted to pick up his car after 3rd service and we had a fight about some fit and finish issues. i told them my car has done 40k and is 3yrs old.. those guys said "Woh to Ford hai , yeh TATA hai " .. so you can very well make out the built quality of Ikon... real VFM car with good mileage, good comfort espacially back seat and last but not the least .. driver's paradise.

Last edited by GTO : 24th December 2009 at 13:31. Reason: See Mod Note in post
toxicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 02:17   #80
Senior - BHPian

Default 50,000 Kms, a week of Exemplary Service and Tbhp brotherhood

Well the Ikon is on its way to complete 5 years in June. I cant believe how time flew.
I had been planning to get it serviced for a while now but something or the other kept coming up and I just couldnt do so.
On the 12th I called Metro and asked them to book an early morning slot for the 13th (saturday) but as things happen, missed it. They called me in the afternoon to confirm if I had managed and I asked them to reschedule to Monday morning.
Finally, monday I reached Metro and met the Service Advisor.

The last time I had the car serviced, I had asked them to check a khat khat sound coming from the front left tyre. They had diagnosed it to be a bearing gone bad and asked me to get it replaced soon.They also told me that I could continue driving for another 2-3k kms so I deferred it to the next service. The price was about 3K per bearing.

The Service advisor got another colleague and suggested we go for a short TD as this was a 50K km service and they wanted to ensure that they address all issues.
We went for a small TD and I waited them to come up with a large issue list, but surprise surprise.
The TD guy mentioned that there was a khat khat sound from the front left tyre and mentioned that I needed to change the bearing.

I asked him to check the clutch, (read too many complaints regarding SA asking guys to change clutch so decided to check), the SA refuses point blank. He mentions that the clutch is good for a while atleast.

Now I know the Exhaust has a big rust spot (about 4 inches) and I tell them that I know about it and would want to go in for a FFE later plus love the sound . I have read many experiences where Ford guys have asked to change the entire thing etc. so wanted to check what they said.

Surprise again, the SA said that he will check it and if possible weld it so that I dont have to pay through my nose for the entire system.

When we reached the Service Station back after the TD, I was told about the following things :

1.50K service with all fluids topup
2. Front Bearing (left) change and if required right bearing might change but they would ask me before it is done.
3. Exhaust welding check, checked and asked 350 bucks for the welding(no replacement)
4. Tyre and suspension check - was asked to check the rim for 2 tyres and replace tyres in a while.
5. Opted for the 3M interior cleaning as I dont have seat covers. Rs 1500 but excellent work done.
Thats it.

I left the car in their care and came back home hoping that there would be no more surprises. There wernt.
Evening the SA calls telling me that they have changed one bearing and will test if the 2nd front bearing needs to be changed. Also, that the welding is possible and I dont need to spend more money on the exhaust.

After the TD, they called again asking me not to worry, the 2nd bearing didne need to be changed at the moment. ...And there are ppl (majorly non Ford owners)who are ready to shoot Ford for their sad service....

I was expecting an expense of almost 20k for this service but all inclusive was charged about 8.2K for the entire service.

Plus, excellent follow ups and check done by Metro Ford. Am really pleased my the kind of service offered by them.
Great job guys, keep up the awesome work.

Experience 2

Once the car got serviced, I decided to change the tyres too. Had been speaking with Nikhil for a very loong time but it never happened. This time I decided to get it done as a part of my 5th year celebration of the Ikon.
It has never let me down and I have never needed to take it to the Service station for anything other than the regular servicings.

So, I wanted to change ZVTS to Yokohoma A-Drives and experience comfortable tyres and after hours of discussions with Nikhil decided to take the plunge.

Called Nikhil and told him the plan, as usial he was busy but promised to arrange everything for me.
As I am directionally challanged ( hee hee) It took 4-5 calls to Nikhil from me to reach his place. This guy was patience personified. Thank you bro, means a lot to me.

Finally reach his place and asked for the manager as per Nikhil's instructions. The manager comes out and welcomes me, then nods at the service guys.
After that believe me, it was like a well oiled Pit Stop.
The place is completely automated, the tyres are already there, the guys at the shop are awesome. They get the entire thing done in 20 mins. Then the car goes to the alignment place and while that is done, Nikhil calls to check if all is well.

When I had spoken to him before going to his place, he had mentioned a 30 min time for everything to be done. I thought he was kidding but he wasnt.

30 mins, I was all set with new shoes on the Ikon.

That weekend I had to drive down to Coonoor and I cant express the pleasure I experienced. The car was service perfectly, the new tyres gave a new dimension to the car. The entire combination performed perfectly, so beautfully that it felt like driving a brand new car.

I am so loving the feel of the car that I reallly dont have words to express it.
All I know is that by spending 20K at 50K kms, my car drives better than it did when it was new.

The A-Drives are fantastic in comparison to the ZVTS. Silent, comfortable and provide much better grip.

This week was a revelation with regards to the kind of service I experienced.

The car is running like a dream, and the Tri Phase is yet to be installed
*Wicked Grin*

With this kind of reliability and service costs I dont think I will even look at another car for the next 50K kms.

Last edited by sammyboy : 28th February 2010 at 02:19.
Old 28th February 2010, 06:58   #81
BHPian

@sammyboy : I recently got my 4 year old 1.3 Flair serviced for 20000 kms at Lathangi Ford, Banerghatta Road. There were no issues, only all fluides change and top ups. However they did a shoddy job e.g. not properly tightning the caps. Next time I will try Metro since you had a good experience with them. Where is this Metro Ford located ? Appreciate if you could also tell me their contact number.

Thanks,
Ravindra
Ravindra M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 10:29   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Now I know the Exhaust has a big rust spot (about 4 inches) and I tell them that I know about it and would want to go in for a FFE later plus love the sound . I have read many experiences where Ford guys have asked to change the entire thing etc. so wanted to check what they said.
I know what you mean Even I left the rusted exhaust in my Ikon unchecked for months. Just loved the exhaust note. But then it was sipping even more fuel!! Eventually I had to change the entire exhaust system.
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 12:13   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
@sammyboy : I recently got my 4 year old 1.3 Flair serviced for 20000 kms at Lathangi Ford, Banerghatta Road. There were no issues, only all fluides change and top ups. However they did a shoddy job e.g. not properly tightning the caps. Next time I will try Metro since you had a good experience with them. Where is this Metro Ford located ? Appreciate if you could also tell me their contact number.

Thanks,
Ravindra
Hi Ravindra, Metro Ford is based on St. Marks Road (perpendicular to MG road). You can call them at 41121660.
I think they are working to improve their quality of service so you should have a better experience with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
I know what you mean Even I left the rusted exhaust in my Ikon unchecked for months. Just loved the exhaust note. But then it was sipping even more fuel!! Eventually I had to change the entire exhaust system.
Yeah man, it was so much fun listening to that sound . Now that they have welded the pipe, the car feels really silent.
Old 1st March 2010, 10:32   #84
Team-BHP Support

Samarth, good to see your car isnt giving you any troubles. So, how do you plan on pampering it for the stellar performance?

How about some recent pics of the car? I shall put up a pic which we had taken when we met. How about that?
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 10:49   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Samarth, good to see your car isnt giving you any troubles. So, how do you plan on pampering it for the stellar performance?

How about some recent pics of the car? I shall put up a pic which we had taken when we met. How about that?
Hey Benny, Thanks man. Yeah, its been doing pretty well till now (touchwood)
Pampering, well u remember that 2 year old Tri Phase ? It will get it now for performing flawlessly hee hee. Already got new tyres and a 3M interior cleaning. Plus I also plan to go in for tints, getting too hot these days.And also new bulbs, the old ones are as good as candles.

I did take some pics in Coonoor, will post them soon. Do post the one with Mike. Would be great.
Old 19th April 2010, 17:55   #86
Senior - BHPian

Default Its finally mine :)

End of EMI's . Yeah, after 5 looooong years this month marks the end of my car installments. The last EMI has been submitted this month and I got the account statement with some stupid charges by Kotak. Not a big deal though as I have already gone over these with 3 different Kotak guys so should manage to get the charges cleared.

Last edited by sammyboy : 19th April 2010 at 17:57.
Old 20th April 2010, 12:26   #87
Senior - BHPian

Wow Sammy..
Double whammy with a no EMI load on your head and a practically brand new car running on new shoes...

I too have a Paprika Red Flair and the car rides really smooth.
arnabchak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 13:25   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Wow Sammy..
Double whammy with a no EMI load on your head and a practically brand new car running on new shoes...

I too have a Paprika Red Flair and the car rides really smooth.
Thanks Arnab, yeah it really feels good to have some extra cash in hand
I see from your sig that you hava a 2010 model, how about some pics? I guess this would be the one with the small steering and biege interiors.

My Ikon is a 2005 so it came with the big steering and grey interiors.
We have another Ikon (my dad's), a 2007 or a 2008 and it feels so different from mine. But both drive awesome.
Old 20th April 2010, 14:32   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Thanks Arnab, yeah it really feels good to have some extra cash in hand ...
My Ikon is a 2005 so it came with the big steering and grey interiors.
We have another Ikon (my dad's), a 2007 or a 2008 and it feels so different from mine. But both drive awesome.
Samarth, congrats on the getting over of your EMI's man!!!
So extra dough in hand now !!!
Arnab has a 2005 model probably, here is his link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...1-3-flair.html

Does your car has a different steering, If you can post your interior pics??
I just love the steering on my car, small and meaty, feels so sporty. I kind of don't like the steering of the Fiesta's and Figo, but have never got my hands on them.Opinion might change
Post more pics man, your car deserves it .

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 20th April 2010 at 14:33.
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 15:43   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Samarth, congrats on the getting over of your EMI's man!!!
So extra dough in hand now !!!
Arnab has a 2005 model probably, here is his link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...1-3-flair.html

Does your car has a different steering, If you can post your interior pics??
I just love the steering on my car, small and meaty, feels so sporty. I kind of don't like the steering of the Fiesta's and Figo, but have never got my hands on them.Opinion might change
Post more pics man, your car deserves it .
Thanks Manish, yeah need to decide whether to save it or blow it. Had it been old times, saving wouldnt have even put up a fight, but now its a major contender

Thanks for the link, will go through it.
I love facelifted Ikon too, but that was a look only available on the 1.6 those days. Been trying to get dad to exchange cars but no luck

My Ikon has the older bumpers, bigger steering, grey interiors and a odo meters without the white backlight. Will post pics for you.