Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 27th May 2011, 23:02   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Ford Ikon Flair -Ownership report EDIT: Now Retired @70K kms

Dhanush, any chance you can get pics of these two ?

The valve itself is here:
Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community

But I wanted the pic of the full unit as seen in our cars. I vaguely remember the a/c parts into which this valve goes into, but not enough to compare this with the parts I found on-line.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 02:21   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Dhanush, any chance you can get pics of these two ?...
.... But I wanted the pic of the full unit as seen in our cars.
Yes, I will take a pic and post here tomorrow, as seen fitted in the car. I might even be having an old diverter valve lying at my home. Will check it, and post if available.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011, 14:03   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sammy, where have you been ? I almost thought you had sold the Ikon ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
It's been very very long!!! Even after you told me that you'll update, it' still been a month long!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Good to see you back here, Samarth!

I managed to run into the common Ikon issues near the 4 years mark, i think. By then, i was clocking kms much more frequently than earlier.

I am now beginning to wonder if the 2 times the ignition coil gave up on my car were owing to water. The first time the ignition coil gave up was after a water wash of the engine bay at Carnation. The second time this happened was after i went water-bashing at the Kannur drive-in beach.
Thanks guys, work was all crazy and thanks to the guys at work blocking tbhp I hardly got time to post. Thankfully https has started working again now and I am able to log in after what seemed like ages.

Actually the thought of selling the ikon did cross my mind (and still does) each time the AC starts blowing air (its started happening again occasionally, looks like another change might need to be done under warranty). I drive with 100% ac and things have started getting a little frustrating.

@Ben - I have faced the ignition coil issue only once till now but then I have never really given it the "water treatment" like what you seem to be doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisharu View Post
Although I'm a newbie to the Ikon ownership, the car has been through five years of usage. But still the car performs flawlessly.
The inly thing I was worried about at that time was the tyres giving up, so need to get those Yokohama A drives asap
Faced a slight problem with the AC diverter valve, but turned out to be a worn out AC diverter valve coil. Got that replaced for Rs700 and also got the AC gas recharged

Thank you all for your valuable inputs
Nice to hear from you Sharath . Get those A drives and you will really feel the ride quality improve by a significant margin. Hope you arent facing any issues with the diverter valve now, they have started again for me.

Last edited by sammyboy : 29th May 2011 at 14:07.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 22:03   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dhanush, any chance you can get pics of these two ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Yes, I will take a pic and post here tomorrow, as seen fitted in the car. I might even be having an old diverter valve lying at my home. Will check it, and post if available.
Sorry condor, no pic in PC. I thought I had one taken at the A.S.S. However, i can confirm that the Heater Control Valve link you gave is indeed the part.

As for where the part its, its located just below the wipers, right in front of the dash, and can be located/accessible from the engine bay. You can identify the spot by locating the AC and coolant pipes going into it.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 12:12   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Its been a veerrryyyy long time since i have updated this thread. Havent really done too many kms and the car is at 56.xxx kms now.

The radiator was leaking and I decided to get it sorted out. Got to know that the heater pipe was leaking and needed to be changed. Went to Sejal Motors and they did a quick fix by bypassing the heater and getting the coolant flowing directly. Jugaad as we say, and it was good for a while.
Congrats Sammyboy on all these years of satisfied ownership. We got lot of similarities here, i also have a 6 yrs old Ikon done 55K and I also get it maintained at Sejal motors .

My experience has been more or less at par with yours. Things replaced so far have been Ignition coil once, AC heater valve twice , left door lock mechanism, rest has been usual maintenance. I also manage 11kmpl in Blore with 100% AC. Overall the car is so much fun to drive that i dont regret the minor flaws. High time i also write about my long term ownership experience.

Last edited by supertinu : 17th June 2011 at 12:14.
supertinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 20:53   #111
BHPian

5 years. Really long time. But a look at ur ride will never reveal its age .

Having driven the original Josh Machine before (1.6 Gen1), I know about the Ride & handling of this baby. And yes, the brakes were scary on that ride as well. Specially for me, coming from a ABS experience in my car, it was scary.

Hope the Nightbreakers are fun. Time for the headers.
aqualeo2040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 21:04   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
5 years. Really long time. But a look at ur ride will never reveal its age .

Having driven the original Josh Machine before (1.6 Gen1), I know about the Ride & handling of this baby. And yes, the brakes were scary on that ride as well. Specially for me, coming from a ABS experience in my car, it was scary.

Hope the Nightbreakers are fun. Time for the headers.
Thanks bro. She is gonna be 6 years in July , and I agree she has aged very gracefully. Not one rattle or squeak, never let me down ever and been a hoot to drive. Is still as lovely as the first day I got her home.

The nightbreakers are many times better than the stock and so are the tints (thanks to you for pushing me to get them done)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Congrats Sammyboy on all these years of satisfied ownership. We got lot of similarities here, i also have a 6 yrs old Ikon done 55K and I also get it maintained at Sejal motors .

My experience has been more or less at par with yours. Things replaced so far have been Ignition coil once, AC heater valve twice , left door lock mechanism, rest has been usual maintenance. I also manage 11kmpl in Blore with 100% AC. Overall the car is so much fun to drive that i dont regret the minor flaws. High time i also write about my long term ownership experience.
Thanks Tinu, sorry for replying so late. Seems like lots of similarities between out Ikons, I might have to change the AC valve so that will make it 2 each as well :-). We should catch up sometime. Do post your ownership report too, will look forward to it.

Last edited by sammyboy : 29th June 2011 at 21:07.
Old 19th September 2012, 10:23   #113
BHPian

Hi All - My Ikon is 6 years and 4 months old and have been pretty much happy with my drive till now.
It is approaching 55k now, and is being regularly serviced at Bhagat/Saluja ford Chandigarh. Things which I have changed till now battery, Ignition Coil, AC Valve, Spark Plugs & Vipers.
I had one major issue when the reverse gear was not engaging; had to get it retificed at Saluja ford, that was a mjor expense.

Offlate i am getting tempted to updgrade, but the economics are not yet completely allowing me to do so. I have TDed vento, XUV 5OO, Bolero, Rapid & Duster recently but still not conviced for any one of them. Maybe Ecosport will change my mind but that is an upgrade to a htach from Saloon.

Not sure what to here !! let us wait what happens in next few months
rajesh.sml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2013, 14:13   #114
Senior - BHPian

Well, after serving me really really well for the last 7.5 years and almost 70K on the Odo the Ikon has been sent to its retirement home for some rest. I just couldnt let go of it due to the emotional ties i have with it so have planned to send it home where i can drive it whenever i visit.
Its still running on its stock clutch and the only thing that i need to change immediately is the starter as its giving issues now. What a car !!!!
Old 8th May 2013, 17:38   #115
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Ford Ikon Flair -Ownership report EDIT: Now Retired @70K kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Well, after serving me really really well for the last 7.5 years and almost 70K on the Odo the Ikon has been sent to its retirement home for some rest. I just couldnt let go of it due to the emotional ties i have with it so have planned to send it home where i can drive it whenever i visit.
Its still running on its stock clutch and the only thing that i need to change immediately is the starter as its giving issues now. What a car !!!!
Talk of a special bond. Close to 7 years and 68,000 kms later, my Ikon too continues to remain with us. However, looks like the ignition coil is getting problematic again.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 17:47   #116
Senior - BHPian

Hey Ben, long time bro. Yeah, the Ikon is wayy to special to let go.
I had sent it for a check for the coil at home today, however the service center guys mentioned that it seems to be an alternator problem. I couldnt digest that and asked them to check the ignition coil for issues.
I am still waiting for what the end result was as I am in Blr, but have been told that the estimated bill is around 7K. Not sure what its for but should get the details later today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Talk of a special bond. Close to 7 years and 68,000 kms later, my Ikon too continues to remain with us. However, looks like the ignition coil is getting problematic again.
Old 8th May 2013, 18:08   #117
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sammy,

long time again.
Good to hear that you are keeping the Ikon. My Car completed 4 years too this february and have been running flawlessly too. Odo is now at 34.6K Kms. Plan to keep it for few more years. A tyre change is due later this year.
But as of now, nothing to complain about, not even rattles.

So , what replacement are you thinking on ?
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 18:31   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Hey Sammy,

long time again.
Good to hear that you are keeping the Ikon. My Car completed 4 years too this february and have been running flawlessly too. Odo is now at 34.6K Kms. Plan to keep it for few more years. A tyre change is due later this year.
But as of now, nothing to complain about, not even rattles.

So , what replacement are you thinking on ?
Hey Manish, good to hear from you man been a while
Great to hear the Ikon is running well, I know the rattle part bro. Not a single one and it will be 8 years old next month.

Funny story with the replacement, wasnt planning to change the Ikon for about a year more or so, but as we car crazy people usually do, was generally going through some pre owned websites every once in a while.
One long weekend last month fell sick, didnt know what to do so opened carwale and saw a 2012 March registered, 7K kms done Fiat Linea Emotion for sale very close to my house. On a whim dialled the number and spoke to the owner, he was leaving for further studies and needed to close the loan. Turned out to be an enthusiast and we hit it off well.

He came over with the car the next day and it was as good as new, he got all the service history etc. with him as well and I was sold. Really nice guy, an enthusiast (hell he had a Fiat :-D and also a Fiero what more qualifications does one need).
Had a chat with wifey and she was okay, asked him for his final price and it was exactly what I had in mind, Deal Closed. Thanks to our tbhp fiat expert nkrishnap service history was checked, all clear as expected. Checked with a close friend and tbhp member and punto owner aqualeo2040 and he was satisfied too.

The next day, cleaned out the bank a/c , the 0 balance account is now just that ;-) , went with him closed his loan, went to RTO and completed the transfer formalities.

So thats how I moved from the Ford to Fiat, two brands which people like us love and most people love to hate.

The Linea Emotion D stands at 8222 Kms now, each time i drive it, it feels like I am still driving the Ikon only with many more gadgets.

Funny how things turn out, never thought weekend shopping would be so much fun , hee hee.

Last edited by sammyboy : 8th May 2013 at 18:46.
sammyboy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 20:20   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Sammy, tell me about it ! 7.5 yrs, & 78k - I let go of the Sumo. The Ikon'll very likely follow the same path, though at just 4.5 yrs, 43k. Lucky you got a good one, from a fellow enthusiast. I am sure he'd have felt a little easier that it didnt go out (from him just like that).

Have fun, and many many safe, happy miles ahead !
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 20:31   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sammy, tell me about it ! 7.5 yrs, & 78k - I let go of the Sumo. The Ikon'll very likely follow the same path, though at just 4.5 yrs, 43k. Lucky you got a good one, from a fellow enthusiast. I am sure he'd have felt a little easier that it didnt go out (from him just like that).

Have fun, and many many safe, happy miles ahead !
Hey bro, yeah you are munching kms at pretty much the same rate (if not slower) as me,Ben,manish so can very well imagine that you would end up in the same boat

You are spot on regarding the Linea part. I did promise him I will take care of it like he did
Thanks for the wishes.

Last edited by sammyboy : 8th May 2013 at 20:33.