Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 6th October 2015, 22:39   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hayek. I'm sorry but I do not agree with the above. If one does not attend to a minor fault it soon becomes a major fault - "a stitch in time" and all that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
Hey Hayek, i'm sorry but I do not agree with this opinion of yours. Ignoring the small things is a recipe for disaster in the long run... ignoring things like ABS and Brake error light is never a good thing for that is playing Russian Roulette with your life. What if the Brakes have a real issue and might actaully fail?

With all due respect, I do not see how you ask a person to chill in such circumstances.

Have to agree that your perspectives are potentially valid, and agree that a majority of BHPians would likely subscribe to them. But if one wants cars to run perfectly, one can either (i) buy new and sell by the end of the warranty period; (ii) buy second hand with extended warranty, and use as long as that lasts; or (iii) buy second hand recognising one has saved capital cost and accept a higher operating expense in terms of time and cost for maintenance. The other alternative is to make do, which is common both in India and abroad. Driving with warning lights on is not the end of the world - people will attend to the problems eventually, but not as soon as the light comes on. Is there some risk in doing that - yes. But is it worth taking? In my view yes.

The problems Jinu faced are all fairly common (I have faced lots of them and several others in my Superb, which is slightly older than his), and are not a reason to give up on a car. What have I done? By and large attended to problems - but at times, accepted partial solutions rather than the full ones. Will that on occasion create other problems? Yes. But those are not more likely than the routine problems you face in old cars, and are a price worth paying, in my view, from a cost benefit basis. We are drifting off topic - apologies for the long post.
Hayek is online now   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 23:29   #32
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Superb - Bitter overall experience

Compared to these horror stories, my experience with 93k kms on Tata Manza can qualify as dream. Every single manufacturer, except Maruti, Toyota, and Hyundai, is down the drain on services and quality.
5kmiles is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 09:03   #33
Team-BHP Support

Are you sure the waterlogging was not due to a faulty pollen filter seal?

Sunroof channel cleaning is straight forward. more here (ARTICLE: Sunroofs. India-specific Use and Maintenance Tips)
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 12:58   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Are you sure the waterlogging was not due to a faulty pollen filter seal?

Sunroof channel cleaning is straight forward. more here (ARTICLE: Sunroofs. India-specific Use and Maintenance Tips)
Thanks Ajmat a very interesting post. I only went with what the workshop people told me and that is the Sunroof drainage is choked, but they never could explain as to why water would flow into the floor of the car (driver side) if the drainage was choked.

This is an annual feature, every rainy season. Now that i have seen your post i will check my car and provide feedback
jinu_joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 13:12   #35
Team-BHP Support

It could also be leaky door seals
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 16:29   #36
BHPian

Post Re: Skoda Superb - Bitter overall experience

Wow! I always thought JMD were one of the better Skoda dealers in Mumbai after reading through the forums - this experience has certainly changed my views on them!

Amazing that seeing the interviews of Mr.Sudhir Rao a long time back on TV, he promised that Skoda is taking the service experience very seriously (I think I remember him mentioning that a team at Skoda is looking into each case individually if there is a problem)

Looks like old habits die hard!!

Personally, I have a pre-worshipped Laura diesel automatic which I got 4 years ago, and I have been getting it serviced at an independent garage since I bought it (I have posted a write-up of that (Diagnostics, Spares, Service & Upgrades for European Cars - Euro Car Pitstop (Cochin))here)

I have clocked 60,000 KM since then, and apart from a A/C compressor fault, she has served me really well.

Skoda makes great cars, but since they refuse to change their ways, I won't be recommending them to anyone anytime soon.

This reminds me of a Top Gear episode where Clarkson, May and Hammond are doing a comparo and they conclude that the Alfa Romeo is the best car among the lot, but they would never recommend one to a friend!

EDIT:

Here is that interview: (at the 2 minute mark, the interview focuses on how Mr.Sudhir Rao's team is working to improve the after-sales experience. Looks like they have not done enough!)

Last edited by Games Goblin : 7th October 2015 at 16:54. Reason: typo
Games Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 18:22   #37
BHPian

I have a similar bad experience with Skoda Auto as well. My brother bought a 2011 Laura DSG- Diesel a few months back. We took a test drive and the car seemed fine. Took it to Jai Auto Mathura road for a check-up and verify the service history. The SA kept the car for the entire day.

Gave the car back in the evening saying the car was fine and has been serviced on time. I had noted a few problems so I asked some pointed questions and this is how his reply went:

Me - The steering has a bit of play? Is the front suspension fine.
SA- Oh yes! You'll just need to change the steering bushes. Should cost you about Rs. 1700.
Me- Window switches are hard. All Ok?
SA- No problem.
Me- DSG gearbox, battery, engine, tyres, rear suspension etc.
SA- No problem sir.
Me- Can you give me a written report of the same
SA- No. That's against our process. Please pay the bill (Rs.1900) over the counter.

Two days later the power windows failed to open/close from inside. You could do it with the key remote though. Brother took the car for service in a weeks time and the same SA attended. Told him that DSG gear oil was not changed (as scheduled) in the last service, the steering needs an overhaul and the power windows will also be a kharcha.

Brother game them a piece of mind for not telling it during inspection. But it was too late and he now has the car to live with.

Bottom line don't ever buy a second had Skoda. If you still decide then at least get it checked at a reliable service centre.
kaushal21fb is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 13:53   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hayek. I'm sorry but I do not agree with the above. I would have done exactly what jinu_joseph did as far as the fixing of various issues go. If one does not attend to a minor fault it soon becomes a major fault - "a stitch in time" and all that!! I am sure most people on this forum would agree with that.

Jinu, absolutely appalled to read what you have been through. I think if I was in your place I would have pushed the car over a cliff by now. Did you not get any sort of warranty from the dealer? Hope you are able to get rid of this lemon as soon as possible.

Regards,
SS
Hi All,

The same issues can come up regularly even if you buy a second hand BMW/Merc/Audi and the electronics will cost you a bomb. The Japanese cars are an exception ( Camry/Accord). Owners of Ventos purchased new from VW showrooms rarely report issues and are extremely satisfied with performance, mileage and safety. I own one and have visited the service station only thrice in 3 years and 45,000 kms, that too for the annual service which was done in a days time at Trivandrum, Kerala.

Sunil
sunil thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 16:48   #39
BANNED

@ jinu joseph

You were advised by several members on this forum, when you bought this car, that it was a lemon and to back out of the deal if you could.

As it was pre owned, you could have sold it right then at a minimal loss if at all, maybe even a profit if you were lucky enough.

But it looks like you believe that if you get a lemon, you got to make lemonade.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2015, 08:30   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
@ jinu joseph

But it looks like you believe that if you get a lemon, you got to make lemonade.
That was the best comment of this thread. .
I too would stay out of the VW / Skoda line up in India. They simply aren't up to the reliability mark. The Japanese rule for now.
pamiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2015, 11:48   #41
BHPian

Hi Jinu Joseph,

Fully empathize with you on your Skoda Superb saga.

I must say though that it does not come as a surprise as VW group (even before the CHEATING episode) have been known only for arrogance, poor service and poor quality standards which result in all kinds of issues.

Where is the fun in buying a car and keep worrying about it every alternate month and going through the harrowing experience of Skoda service which is abysmal at best.

The other important aspect is these cars in their respective segments are over priced to start with. Now why would the new Octavia cost 23 lakhs and above ? It is nothing but greed and lack of values of this company where they simply don't care about the Indian customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinu_joseph View Post
My tryst with the Skoda Superb

Its been over 2 years and 4 months since my purchase of a second hand Skoda Superb

I will be getting rid of this car soon and i don't think i will ever go near the VW group(Skoda, VW, Audi) cars again. I find it very hard to believe that the company takes no ownership of issues raised by their customers and simple forward it back to the dealer whom you are complaining against.

Well to summarize, Skoda superb is a lovely vehicle to drive, but God help you if you have to visit their service centers..
I would suggest get the issues fixed and then sell it immediately. The next owner should not suffer!! Then you can go for a good alternate like the cracking new Abarth Punto which will any day bring a smile to your face and leave these silly overpriced Skoda vehicles in the dust!!
Higgs_Boson_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2015, 17:41   #42
BHPian

Quote:
@ jinu joseph

You were advised by several members on this forum, when you bought this car, that it was a lemon and to back out of the deal if you could.

As it was pre owned, you could have sold it right then at a minimal loss if at all, maybe even a profit if you were lucky enough.

Sorry i dont remember such advice. I do remember advice given on queries raised on a used VW Passat. But then you are right, as i said before, i knew of skoda reputation with service before i bought it, but mistakenly thought it had improved.

Some updates:

Yesterday got a call from Shamit from JMD asking to get the car for analysis of the issue. When i told him this was already done, he said they needed to do a detailed analysis and submit a report to Skoda. So on the condition that there would be no repair/patchwork tried on the car i agreed. Also i told him i needed the car back the same day and hence would hang around since analysis should not take time. He said it would take about 2 hours.

Today I reached the workshop at about 12:30. First they said they have to do a visual inspection of the component and hence it would take time and i should leave the car there and come back later, but i insisted i would stay. Then they said it was lunch time so it will take some more time and i can leave and take the car later, again i insisted that i stay. Finally from 12:30 to 4:00 pm (which is when i got my car back) all they did was do a SCAN using their laptop twice. Both the times they did the same thing. The first time was just for investigation and the second time apparently to make a job card and record the details. Total time for the 2 scans would have been about 10 minutes each, the rest of the time i was just waiting doing nothing. At about 3:00pm Shamit informed me that they had got all the details from Scanning, but they needed to check the power lines and harnesses to the ABS system and this would take a lot of time and for that i could bring the car back tomorrow. I have for now agreed to bring it back on Monday. The remaining 1 hour was spent trying to get me a gate pass.

But i am not sure whats going on, if i was a paying customer, based on the error code they would simply replaced the unit and charged me for it.
jinu_joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2015, 18:30   #43
BHPian

Hi Jinu,

It was so disheartening to read about your experience. This thread is another "feather" in already (dis)crowned Skoda image. For once i started to get inclined towards skoda after the launch of new Octavia in 2013 and no adverse post about them since so long in TBhp but i was so wrong. I also compliment you for keeping your cool even after so many issues and bad experiences with one single car which many of us must not have faced in our lifetime till now. Thanks for sharing even the minutest details.

Good luck for your further ownership experiences.
naveendagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015, 15:59   #44
BHPian

Quote:
@ jinu joseph

I don't find this funny at all!! The guy has been facing hell with his car. I'm sure he can do without your snide remarks.
vinj14 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 07:55   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinu_joseph View Post
Sorry i dont remember such advice.
Fortunately Team Bhp has the memory of an elephant.

An advice by dkaile to you on 5th July 2013:

"This seems like a badly maintained car and subject to its owners apathy and mistreatment. If you have not made the payment yet, I would advise you to still back out from the deal."

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 13th October 2015 at 08:09.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   Reply With Quote