Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 12th January 2016, 09:43   #61
Default Re: Skoda Superb - Bitter overall experience

bumping up this old post, but going by the experiences (read horrors) of Skoda, I can't help but compare Skoda to Tata pre 2010. Similar workshop experiences and similar quality issues. Tata has managed to improve but Skoda remains the same.
I believe the rot starts from the top (Skoda India), and unless the top lot is cleaned up, the issues will continue to remain and multiply. They may make good cars, but with fidgety electronics and parts, plus shoddy after sales its not surprising they are where they are...
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2016, 09:43   #62
Default Re: Skoda Superb - Bitter overall experience

Hi folks

Updating after a long time. I still have this car and its nearing 71,000Km. Some of the things that happened since the last update is as follows:

- May 2016 - Battery failed after 3 years and had to be replaced. Fortunately there was no inconvenience caused by this, as it failed in the morning when i was about to start the car. Last time I had insisted that the battery be replaced at the Skoda workshop itself thinking that the battery would be a german quality product, but now realize that not to be so. So this time replaced it with and Amaron FLO battery for about Rs. 4800. But interestingly the person who came to replace the battery said that there should be a latch which holds the battery in place which is missing. I have no clue as to how just that piece went missing. One reason the person said could be that the nut that holds the latch could have got corroded and fallen off along with the latch. Called skoda service centre and they said that part is not available anywhere and it will take a long time to get.

- May 2016 - The covering of the inner door handles is made of some very soft material. On all doors except the drivers side the same started getting sticky and peeling off. So much so that the white plastic underneath became visible. IT was like as tough it was melting. The rear doors were the worst. I was planning to replace all of them, but after hearing the replacement cost(Rs. 2500 per handle) , decided to do only the back doors. The drivers door handle was replaced for the same reason sometime last year. SA at the skoda service centre said that it could be because of the heat as the car is left in open parking.

- May 2016 - The AC started misbehaving. After starting the car noticed that air coming from the vents was not cooling. It would take some time for the air to start cooling, as days went by the time taken for cooling would increase, till finally it started becoming an issue rather than an annoyance. It would take upto 15 minutes into the journey for the AC to start cooling. So took it to the Skoda service centre and they concluded that the Compressor was dying and needed to be replaced. The cost for the same would be about 80K. But since the AC was working, although with a time delay i asked if it was necessary to replace/repair. SA said that there was a discount scheme going on for certain parts including AC compressor as part of their monsoon check-up campaign and i would get a 65% discount on the parts. So knowing that it was only a matter of time before the compressor failed completely decided to take the offer and replace the compressor at the discounted price. Totally cost me about 35K

One thing that i have started noticing now is that the engine noise level inside the car cabin is higher that i remember it earlier. Again this could be just my mind playing tricks, but then a colleague of mine also asked if something had changed as he also can hear the same in the cabin. Only thing i can think of is that probably the insulation has come off from somewhere. Will take it up with the service centre the next time i visit.

But inspite of all the complaints driving the skoda superb is amazing and I have been spoilt by the features provided in the car. They have set a benchmark on feature set that cannot be met by any other manufacturer at that price point. I simply cant find a replacement that provides a similar set of security/safety and convenience features.

To the question would i buy the new skoda superb ? I would say yes but if and only if Skoda offers extended warranty like Toyota and Honda (for atlesast 7 years).
jinu_joseph is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote