Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 13th October 2017, 20:45   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline (2010). EDIT: Now 120,000 km up

I carried out diesel purge on my car, using Liqui Moly Diesel Purge. I did it directly from the engine fuel inlet/outlet, bypassing the fuel tank. The difference in performance, post diesel purge, is quite noticeable.
  • The engine revs effortlessly now, as opposed to being sluggish before this.
  • The engine also made very slight noise at idle, that I do not know for sure what to call, maybe miniscule knocking noise. That is gone too.
  • I am hopeful cold starts are restored to how it was for the most of the car ownership. All signs are positive so far. I will confirm this near the winters.

The components used:
  • Clear vinyl tubing, having inner diameter of 8 mm or 5/16" inch (5 feet in length)
  • Connectors for tubing (3 units)
  • Inline fuel filter
  • Ziplocks (6 or 7 of them)
  • Empty clear plastic bottle
  • Liqui Moly Diesel Purge (500 ml)

Clear vinyl tubing, connectors, and ziplocks were available at some hardware stores. I had to go to a few stores to be able to find them all, though. These three set of things cost me about Rs. 85.

The inline fuel filter was available at some car spare part dealers. This cost me Rs. 100.

I sourced the can of Diesel Purge from Amazon. The can cost was listed as about Rs. 600.

Preparation:

I cleaned the plastic tubing, by having water flow through it. I dried it by blowing air through it, from the household vacuum cleaner.

I did it similarly with the connectors, and the clear plastic bottle.

The plastic bottle still had some water droplets clinging onto the inner surface. Since there was no separate air output passage from the bottle, I could not dry it like the tubing and the connectors. I then crumpled a tissue paper, put it into the bottle, and shook the bottle until the crumpled tissue paper rolled around, and up and down, in the bottle, absorbing the water droplets, and drying the bottle from inside in no time.

The inline fuel filter was brand new, but it seemed to have some black particles in one of the ends, where tubing is supposed to be connected. I used the household vacuum cleaner to suck those out.

The diesel purge process:

The procedure is quite simple to follow. I did not take pictures along all the steps, as it is well elaborated in a video on YouTube, specifically about Polo 6R with a 1.6 TDI engine. There are also a number of other videos, but this one was specifically about this engine.

After completing the process, and reconnecting everything again, I primed the fuel filter by cycling the key to on and off position, multiple times, before turning on the ignition. I did this as a precaution to remove any air that may have entered the system. The car started back up on the first crank!

The thing that differs in my setup are the connections, that I made using connectors between the tubing and the fuel lines. Inserting the tubing directly into the fuel lines can damage the fuel lines.

I liked the way the inline filter was put on the return line to the diesel purge container. The filtered diesel purge gets into the container from the return line, and the small quantity of the leftover diesel purge can be put into the fuel tank, without worrying about the disloged engine gunk from getting into the fuel (thanks to the inline fuel filter).

I have a picture of my setup, showing all the components and how I connected them. It is attached with this post.

The line marked red is the intake line, blue is the return line, and the green line is the loop to feed diesel back into the fuel tank, without having it enter the engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline (2010). EDIT: Now 120,000 km up-img_20171013_161838.jpg  

Last edited by halfbytecode : 13th October 2017 at 21:06.
halfbytecode is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2017, 15:23   #47
BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline (2010). EDIT: Now 120,000 km up

Update - 1,25,000 kms done

The car is running great. The fuel injectors and combustion chamber seem to be cleaned quite well, after the diesel purge process (detailed above). I also cleaned the mass air flow sensor, by using CRC Air Sensor Clean.

- The engine is very eager to rev now, and the fuel economy is improved by at least 20%. This is quite significant.

- The tyres are also performing better than ever. I feel this is primarily due to the climate getting colder, and the tyres being designed for European climate. I will keep an eye on the performance in next summers. The tyres were new this summer, and had not worn in until recently.

Last edited by halfbytecode : 2nd November 2017 at 15:25.
halfbytecode is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote