Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 3rd December 2009, 11:18   #391
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
How much did the headlight bulbs cost you? Also, is it required to change/alter the wiring?
No wiring change required at all, they are 60/55s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
2)Those you have fitted are good enough.
They're good enough from what I've seen so far - you need to adjust the throw once based on your requirement (how far away you want the beam to fall)
Quote:
Originally Posted by naman07 View Post
Can you please let us know from which place and at what price did you buy these Osram bulbs ?
Naman, PM Ankit Ahuja, he sourced them for me at a reasonable price. I'd almost given up the idea of Nightbreakers/X-treme Power when my accessory guy quoted me 1,600 for a pair (X-treme power)

Got them for much lower thanks to Ankit.
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:59   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Thanks everyone

They're good enough from what I've seen so far - you need to adjust the throw once based on your requirement (how far away you want the beam to fall)

No..no, What i wanted to ask is "Is there throw of light better and more farrer than OEM lights".
Old 3rd December 2009, 12:55   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
No..no, What i wanted to ask is "Is there throw of light better and more farrer than OEM lights".
Much further than the OEM lights (as I said, you can adjust the throw to have it fall close or far), they claim around 420 meters IIRC. And, depending on what OEM bulbs you are using, the spread would be better too.
Old 3rd December 2009, 13:40   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Much further than the OEM lights (as I said, you can adjust the throw to have it fall close or far), they claim around 420 meters IIRC. And, depending on what OEM bulbs you are using, the spread would be better too.

Thanks.
BTW : I am using Philips Rally 90/100W in my Tata safari TCIC.
Old 3rd December 2009, 13:49   #395
BANNED

Suman bhai, the Osram Nightbreakers rock and i have been suggesting them to all friends since 2years when i started to use them on The King.
Old 4th December 2009, 00:40   #396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Its written in Bold letters on top left corner H4
and 4 will provide amazing lighting isnt it.
Thanks, I think I need to order a set of a glasses for myself before any bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
No, you will need 2 H4. They go in your main beams.
Fog lamps do not have high/low and are usually H3(most common), followed by H7
Since throw of fog lamps is minimal, ordinary ones will do over there.
Some confusion here, it seems, maybe on my side. I didn't mean four bulbs including the fog lamps. I know the fog lamps are H3.

I will need four because the Palio has double barrel head lamps. In fact, I am not sure if I can use these bulbs on my car because it has separate bulbs for high and low beams, so I will require single filament (?) bulbs.
Old 4th December 2009, 10:02   #397
Team-BHP Support

Oh ok, then you do not need H4. Palio has H7/H3 combo I think. For exact bulb details, refer to owners manual.
Old 5th December 2009, 18:37   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Been a while since the last update so here goes. What's been happening?
  • Hella Rallye 700FFs fitted end September - a very useful gift from my better half. Lamps mounted directly on the bumper & they're really helping as a supplemental light source. Cost 4,950 for the pair (inclusive of fitting etc)
  • 3 way changeover switch fitted for the Fiamm horns - now they operate from the horn button on the steering
  • The Beast completed Three Years with the family on 19th October - seems like yesterday & I think we've all enjoyed the experience, particularly the journey to Leh & back.
  • 70k kms service completed (was late for this one) - front anti-roll bar bushes & block were changed. This was to get rid of the irritating "kwon-kwon" sound every time the car went over a gently undulating speed breaker
  • The following items were diagnosed as requiring a change but since I wanted the car back on the same day (and also because the Anti roll bar was not in stock) it was postponed to the week after & done at odo reading 71.7k kms -
    • Rear Brake Drums & Shoes
    • Rear Anti Roll Bar
    • Front Steering Damper
    • Rear Wheel Cylinders (both changed under Extended Warranty)
  • The left rear window was acting lethargic when I was leaving the workshop, was diagnosed as the Winder needing replacement. Again, was not in stock, arrived last Monday - finally found time to take the Beast on Friday afternoon and got it fixed. Under Extended Warranty, as I'd mentioned earlier (when the right one had packed up), its an expensive item, costing 4.3k including Labour!
  • The Low Beam of the LHS Osram Silverstar +50% packed up last week. Explored a few options & am now waiting for Osram Nightbreaker to arrive (my accessories guy had Philips Xtreme-power in stock but they were horrendously expensive), have fitted back the stock Philips H4s in the mean while.
Got my lazy driver to Shampoo The Beast last Saturday - it was long overdue! As of this morning, its completed 72,364 kms. The Beast has got scratched in a few places in our NCR traffic - nothing major but as my wife was remarking the other day, not as spotless as before. Here are few clicks from yesterday afternoon (also showcasing the fog lamps), now tell me honestly - well maintained for a three year old eh????
Attachment 224657

Attachment 224658

Attachment 224659

Attachment 224660

Attachment 224661
Sumanda, your beast does look absolutely pristine and looks that you have maintained it well.
Old 8th December 2009, 11:44   #399
Senior - BHPian

Default Cost of ownership at 75k kms.....

Thanks Anirudha!

The Beast has crossed 75k kms & I updated my ownership costs over the weekend - as on date, Total Cost of all Services, maintenance & replacements stands at Rs 90,318. This includes all visits to the various workshops in the 3 plus years of ownership & each & every component & consumable that I have paid for. At current odometer reading of 75,100kms, this works out to Rs 1.20 per km. To this, I should add the original cost of the Extended Warranty that I had purchased - Rs 7,200 or, Re 0.10 per km. Thus, Rs 1.30 per km which I would think is not bad at all for a behemoth of these proportions.

Now, here's an interesting statistic - I also added up the value of the items that were replaced under Extended Warranty (post the expiry of Manufacturer's warranty, April 2008 onwards) & guess what? As expected, the 7,200 that I mentioned above has redeemed itself more than 7 times over! Extended Warranty replacements have been to the tune of Rs 53,124. Of course, the biggest chunk out of that was the Turbocharger in Nov 2008 which was approx 34k including labour etc. But, as I keep saying - don't even think of a Safari without the Extended Warranty! (Total Warranty replacements have been to the tune of 89k but during the manufacturer's warranty, they do keep replacing left & right, sometimes over zealously!)

What's next on the agenda - intend to get the 75k kms service done this weekend. Apart from top-ups, the Brake Discs need to be checked out for warping. Lately, can feel a judder in the steering when I brake at high speeds so its definitely the Discs. Lets see if they can do some machining on them else I'll get them changed. The windscreen washer line is playing up so that needs attending to as well. Will keep you guys posted.

Oh, a small update on the lights! Had gone to the Airport over the weekend & on the way back, at about 1.30 in the morning, on the pitch dark stretch of road near Paras Hospital, progressively switched on all I had - first the bumper fogs, then the Nightbreakers on low beam & then the Hella 700s. The result was - daylight!!! Icing on the cake were the Nightbreakers on high beam
Old 8th December 2009, 12:02   #400
Senior - BHPian

Reading various reports on the forum about Turbo Failures so early in its life gets me worried. Any particular reason that turbo's on Safari pack-up so early.
Old 8th December 2009, 12:23   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Reading various reports on the forum about Turbo Failures so early in its life gets me worried. Any particular reason that turbo's on Safari pack-up so early.
Mine packed up at 46k kms (34k was the cost of material & labour) which I wouldn't really call very early. They couldn't pinpoint a definite reason but they did mention something we already know - high precision equipment where lubrication is the key. The golden half minute idle rule is something that a lot of us overlook & sometimes it can be disasterous.

(I have become a little extra-cautious now & follow it every time. Earlier, I may have been guilty of the occasional rip-rip-rip from the word "Go" but no longer......)

By the way, any other Turbo failures on the forum, can't recollect?
Old 8th December 2009, 12:27   #402
Team-BHP Support

Suman, are these maintainence costs TASS costs or all costs including tires.
If these are all costs, then it would be interesting to see the costs only for Tata related things, i,e. leaving out the extra horns/lights/tires etc.,
Old 8th December 2009, 12:46   #403
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer, these are only TASS costs - I have not included the costs of the Extra Lights & Horns because they are not part of regular maintenance costs. Yes, any stock Fog lamp or Head lamp units or bulb replacements are included but not the Hellas, Fiamms or Stebels.

Cost of the Yoko Geos are also not included above as it would not be a true comparo depending on what tyres you choose as replacement for the stock Stones. The Yokos set me back by approx 21k, that works out to Re 0.28 per km at the current odo reading.
Old 8th December 2009, 13:05   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I read about hrag's Safari facing the same problem apart from one 1.5 Yr old Safari that I was almost on the verge of buying before settlling on the Storm.

One thing that is common amongst all 3 vehicles is that they all are the 3.0L DICOR.
Old 8th December 2009, 13:11   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mine packed up at 46k kms (34k was the cost of material & labour) which I wouldn't really call very early. They couldn't pinpoint a definite reason but they did mention something we already know - high precision equipment where lubrication is the key. The golden half minute idle rule is something that a lot of us overlook & sometimes it can be disasterous.

(I have become a little extra-cautious now & follow it every time. Earlier, I may have been guilty of the occasional rip-rip-rip from the word "Go" but no longer......)

Apart from that, I was in the impression that turbo failure is mostly in cars which run less and i didn't know your car also had a turbo failure inspite of so much running.
My Getz has crossed 47k kms in 17months so by rules its out of warranty and no extended warranty either.

BTW, your truck is really well maintained. Doesn't look 75k kms old.
Closed Thread