Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 22nd February 2010, 10:56   #421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
I think the maintenance issues seem reasonable considering your odometer reading. Autolinks does seem to be very co-operative.
They are very cooperative - I'm beginning to hear bad stuff about ABS Motors now so I intend sticking with Autolinks. I think they're the best in the NCR for 4x4 Safaris - in fact, one of their key 4x4 technicians had quit & joined ABS, I just heard that he's come back (along with a few others who'd gone).
Quote:
How's the Fiesta going on and what is the likely replacement? Linea T-Jet?
She's doing OK but will be looking at replacing her sometime this year. Getting close to the 100k mark, check out my Fiesta thread which I've recently updated -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1714201

Linea T-Jet is definitely one of the contenders, depending on whether or not the rear seat legroom & space is adequate. Going to start checking out some options in the next couple of months.

Last edited by suman : 22nd February 2010 at 11:01.
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:31   #422
BHPian

Great to know that the Beast is running along well. I'm surprised that you got the discs changed under warranty. I have a shudder issue when braking, which has been diagnosed as warped discs, and warranty is not applicable since I've crossed 10k kms :-(.

Oh, just love the rev range of the 3lt DICOR. Engine is barely more than ticking even when running at full blast
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:39   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
I have a shudder issue when braking, which has been diagnosed as warped discs, and warranty is not applicable since I've crossed 10k kms :-(.
Unni, you should put pressure on the buggers. If you read my Fiesta thread, Discs were changed twice by Ford & both times under warranty. They cribbed like hell but they eventually gave in. The first time was at odo reading 9,037 (OK, below 10k kms) but the second time was at odo reading 45,668. I wonder if this is an achilles heel for them which is why they try not to acknowledge it. Of late, I can feel a slight shudder sometimes but this time around, I will try & take the local garage route to get them machined a bit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Oh, just love the rev range of the 3lt DICOR. Engine is barely more than ticking even when running at full blast
You said it!

Last edited by suman : 22nd February 2010 at 15:41.
Old 22nd February 2010, 17:07   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Unni, you should put pressure on the buggers. If you read my Fiesta thread, Discs were changed twice by Ford & both times under warranty. They cribbed like hell but they eventually gave in. The first time was at odo reading 9,037 (OK, below 10k kms) but the second time was at odo reading 45,668. I wonder if this is an achilles heel for them which is why they try not to acknowledge it. Of late, I can feel a slight shudder sometimes but this time around, I will try & take the local garage route to get them machined a bit!
Let me try pressure tactics then!! I'm yet to change them, so hoping it works. Wonder who is the disc manufacturer. We are going OT here , thanks for the tip.
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:52   #425
Senior - BHPian

Default 80k kms around the corner.....

The Beast is approaching the 80k kms mark so I've decided that this is a good time to leave it with Autolinks to get the AC compressor replacement completed along with the service. Will drop in the vehicle tomorrow morning.

Apart from this, the steering has been feeling a bit hard of late if I try to steer full left lock while stationary (sometimes need to do this while turning in a tight space). Autolinks have recommended change of the Steering Gearbox under EW. This is also a time consuming process (unit taken out & sent to manufacturer for part replacement) so I guess the vehicle will be out of action till around the middle of next week.

Will keep you guys updated once its back.

PS: If anyone asked me what I hate about the 3.0 litre Safari, the answer would be simple - the goddamn Tailgate rattle. It just doesn't go away, it keeps resurfacing every 5k kms. I keep telling them to change the rubber beading (its worn out a bit & become hard) but they keep trying to save me money and try every other trick in the book - but nothing works!
Old 3rd March 2010, 12:25   #426
Team-BHP Support

There is a solution mentioned on the 2.2 problems thread. Basically, you stick a think rubber sheet(available with cobblers) on the bottom where the tailgate meets the body. Bye bye rattle
Old 3rd March 2010, 12:30   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
There is a solution mentioned on the 2.2 problems thread. Basically, you stick a think rubber sheet(available with cobblers) on the bottom where the tailgate meets the body. Bye bye rattle
That's our workaround to reduce tailgate rattles.. what about the manufacturer. I am getting tailgate rattles now in 21k done safari

Is tailgate rattle ki toh...
Old 3rd March 2010, 12:38   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Basically, you stick a think rubber sheet(available with cobblers) on the bottom where the tailgate meets the body. Bye bye rattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
That's our workaround to reduce tailgate rattles.. what about the manufacturer
Exactly! The other thing is - the positioning of the strikers & other hinges are very different in the 3.0 litre (vis a vis the 2.2) so some of the "jugaad" may not work. And I ain't going to put up a rubber sheet or whatever - maybe I'll just get the beading changed if its not too expensive.
Old 3rd March 2010, 14:37   #429
Senior - BHPian

Suman, One of the things done in the 2.2, for those with the rattle, was using the Sumo's rubbers. Did you go down that path?

And talking about "jugaad", even the mouse pad have been put to good use by one of ours!
Old 16th August 2010, 17:00   #430
Senior - BHPian

Default Fancy mileage!

On the way to work this morning.....
Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, 105k kms up & Auf Wiedersehen!-16082010044.jpg

Latest (not so good) news being that I walloped a metal barrier & shattered the glass (heated) of the right ORVM. The cover is fine, the mechanism is working perfectly & no damages other than the glass . The original Plate & Glass are not sold separately, and the options available to me were -
  • Buy complete OEM unit for Rs 4,000 plus painting charges of Rs 500
  • Go to Chawri Bazaar & look for original plate & glass (heated) & hope to find one for Rs 200 (as Tanveer had)
  • Fix complete Local unit (heated) for Rs 1,450 plus painting charges of Rs 300
  • Fix local non-heated mirror only for Rs 150 (not convex but 1:1)
After a lot of thought & after picking up the complete Local unit, eventually went in for the Rs 150 option on a purely temporary basis. Have requested a FNG (courtesy Gd1418) to try & get hold of plate & glass of Local make in the meantime. If not available, will head to Chawri Bazaar in a few days & try & get hold of one like Tanveer did.

The local Rs 150 one is obviously not a long term solution.......

Quite a bit more to update actually, will do so in a couple of weeks so watch this space

Last edited by suman : 16th August 2010 at 17:04.
Old 16th August 2010, 17:24   #431
Team-BHP Support

I suggest for temporary use you also pick up a 50rs stick on convex mirror. It will help you get by as the 1:1 is horrendous. I have it on the indica, and its totally useless, as area shown is very limited.
If you can get a local make non heated "convex" mirror, it will be great!
Old 16th August 2010, 17:25   #432
Senior - BHPian

Fascinated more than you! Me it is. I always loved a 3.0 more than the 2.2 version because of its torque. Could you please elaborate if a 3.0 (without any extended warranty) is a cheaper and healthier vehicle after 50K kms.

Thanks.
Old 16th August 2010, 18:09   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post

You said it!
well I got my Discs changed under Extended Warranty at 30K Kms
But these guys dont change the disc alone...they said u pay for the pads as they are wear & tear item and they will get discs in EW and I agreed...so paid rs 1750 odd and got discs of around Rs 2600 free
Old 16th August 2010, 23:31   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I suggest for temporary use you also pick up a 50rs stick on convex mirror. It will help you get by as the 1:1 is horrendous. I have it on the indica, and its totally useless, as area shown is very limited.
Convex blind-spot mirrors stuck on 1:1 ORVMs work just fine. I have had them on my car (the original ORVMs are nearly 1:1) and it just takes a day or two to get used to them.
Old 17th August 2010, 12:27   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Convex blind-spot mirrors stuck on 1:1 ORVMs work just fine. I have had them on my car (the original ORVMs are nearly 1:1) and it just takes a day or two to get used to them.
Ya, I was planning on getting a stick on convex once the FNG was successful (or otherwise) in getting a local heated one.

I can live without the heated one but can't live without the convex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Could you please elaborate if a 3.0 (without any extended warranty) is a cheaper and healthier vehicle after 50K kms.
Thanks mate. I would be wary of picking up a 50k plus run Dicor (be it a 3 or a 2.2) without extended warranty as you could have expenses arising out of wear & tear. Just to give you an example, post 50k kms, the following have been replaced in my vehicle under EW -
  • Differential Track Lock Kit
  • Wheel Cylinders - 2
  • Power Window Regulators - both rear ones
  • Brake discs (I was lucky they did this under EW)
  • Self starter
  • AC Compressor (more preventive maintenance than any issue as such)
  • Steering Box
As you can imagine, these items would have set me back by quite a bit of money had it not been for the EW. Heck, each Power window regulator switch would have set me back by 4k

As I approach the 90k kms service, I'm mindful that the Beast will be out of EW at the end of October so I'm going to be going over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb to see what else can be "claimed" under EW. I'm planning to push for a clutch replacement but I don't see them agreeing. Not that I have any issues with the clutch but its just "preventive maintenance" as they say

Last edited by suman : 17th August 2010 at 12:28.
Closed Thread