Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 20th March 2011, 11:04   #466
Senior - BHPian

Default Into six digits........

And so it came to pass on the 3rd of March, the day my daughter's Class 12 Board exams started - a little over 4 Years & 4 Months after Dhanteras 2006:
Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, 105k kms up & Auf Wiedersehen!-03032011235.jpg
Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, 105k kms up & Auf Wiedersehen!-03032011237.jpg

Have posted a few pics of the Manali trip on the Safari pics thread, here are a few more -
Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, 105k kms up & Auf Wiedersehen!-img_5116.jpg
Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, 105k kms up & Auf Wiedersehen!-img_5127.jpg
Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, 105k kms up & Auf Wiedersehen!-img_5145.jpg
Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, 105k kms up & Auf Wiedersehen!-img_5218.jpg

The 100k kms service is out of the way, will post an update on that shortly. The Beast lumbers on

Last edited by suman : 20th March 2011 at 11:06.
Old 20th March 2011, 13:42   #467
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, & now completed 4 years, 5 months & 100k k

Congrats Suman.

Wishing you many more KM's of safe motoring!

Comments on how well the guys is taking onto aging would be great.
Old 20th March 2011, 13:57   #468
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, & now completed 4 years, 5 months & 100k k

Suman, heartiest congratulations on hitting the magic figure! Your Safari is an inspiration and something which I personally look upon. Your ownership thread gives me the inspiration to lug through. Congrats once again.
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:08   #469
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on becoming a "Lakh Takiya" with the Safari.

One question that I always wanted to ask you. How is it that your HR-26 vehicle is so scratch free, even at the bumpers? Do you keep getting it touched up or do you not drive daily in the city? It is really very very hard to find a GGN vehicle so pristine outside. Have you had any bumper touches/bumps till date?
Old 3rd July 2011, 14:10   #470
Senior - BHPian

Boy, its been a while since I visited this thread so apologies for the delayed responses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Comments on how well the guys is taking onto aging would be great.
Well, not much has changed, there is no additional huffing or wheezing if that's what you're asking. The sluggish acceleration of the 3.0L has always been a pain & this one is no different. The 3rd gear remains endless & its a joy to put pedal to metal when the road ahead is clear . The clutch is harder than it was in its younger days but that's no surprise. Besides, I still have the slave & master tucked away unopened (refer earlier update on this thread).

Just love the consistent mileage being delivered throughout summer - 10.7 to 10.9 kmpl. Had my first puncture on the Yoko Geo AT/S yesterday after 50k kms of driving - small nail in the front right one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Suman, heartiest congratulations on hitting the magic figure! Your Safari is an inspiration and something which I personally look upon. Your ownership thread gives me the inspiration to lug through. Congrats once again.
Thanks Sumit, how are your twins coming along?
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Congrats on becoming a "Lakh Takiya" with the Safari.

One question that I always wanted to ask you. How is it that your HR-26 vehicle is so scratch free, even at the bumpers? Do you keep getting it touched up or do you not drive daily in the city? It is really very very hard to find a GGN vehicle so pristine outside. Have you had any bumper touches/bumps till date?
Thanks Devdath! There are quite a few scratches now, as I keep saying, Arctic Silver covers up the dirt & damage very well Maybe I'll post a few close-ups one of these days. I had two incidents with my front bumper (both sides) and they are documented elsewhere on this thread (there is a pic of the left side incident IIRC). Its impossible to keep a car scratch free anywhere in the NCR - no matter how careful you are, someone else will not be so!

Will be posting some more updates shortly, stay tuned!
suman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2011, 19:10   #471
Senior - BHPian

@suman:

Sluggish ACCELERATION? Could you explain some more on this. Question arises because as I have also driven the 3.0 DICOR and felt that it is by far the best accelerating Safari produced by TATA, plus the amazing torque available at lower rpm's makes it better drivable than a 2.2 DICOR IMO.
Old 3rd July 2011, 19:21   #472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Sluggish ACCELERATION? Could you explain some more on this. Question arises because as I have also driven the 3.0 DICOR and felt that it is by far the best accelerating Safari produced by TATA, plus the amazing torque available at lower rpm's makes it better drivable than a 2.2 DICOR IMO.
Sluggish as in seeing some of the others zip by me that's all!

And you're not suggesting that the 3.0 is quicker than the 2.2 are you ? I haven't driven a 2.2 to comment but I do feel that they are way quicker off the blocks based on what I see.

Last edited by suman : 3rd July 2011 at 19:22.
Old 3rd July 2011, 20:01   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Sluggish as in seeing some of the others zip by me that's all!
And you're not suggesting that the 3.0 is quicker than the 2.2 are you ?
No! I have not checked which is quicker, but the way the 3.0 accelerates is better as I drove the 2.2 and 3.0 (at different times). The 2.2 felt more peppy, while 3.0 felt really easier to drive around. Hope you get the point as I have no better English to explain what I want to.
Old 4th July 2011, 14:14   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 2.2 felt more peppy, while 3.0 felt really easier to drive around. Hope you get the point
Yup, got it . Now for some more updates on the 100k kms service & beyond -
  • 100k kms service was done on 5th of March; apart from the usual stuff, brake pads were changed & the Alternator was sent for servicing to the Manufacturer (refer Battery light on the instrument cluster coming on as mentioned in an earlier post). Turned out that the Rectifier Plate, Regulator Bearing & oil Seal needed to be changed, total cost on account of the Alternator was Rs 5,250. One of the items that I had missed out checking before the EW ran out last October. Anyway! Total cost of service including this came to Rs 13,610
  • I have mentioned the Check Engine light coming on & the earlier diagnosis of the Knock Sensor. However, the problem surfaced another couple of times post the 100k service & it was almost always when I was accelerating in 4th gear. This was finally diagnosed as the Vehicle Speed Sensor which was changed (Rs 1,575) on 31st of March & the light has not reappeared thereafter. Phew!!
  • The old, faithful companion (by way of that irritating tailgate rattle) had come to haunt me again. The tailgate shock absorber was diagnosed as the culprit & a new one was fitted in its place - Rs 550. Has the rattle gone away completely? Nah, keeps coming back for brief intervals once in a blue moon. I hope they resolve this pesky issue on the Merlin!!
  • Recently, one of the Alloy Wheel Caps fell off somewhere, got a new one for Rs 245
  • Got my first puncture on the Yoko Geo AT/S on Saturday after 50k kms - small nail on the front right tyre.
Not much else has been happening, The Beast goes about doing its job without kicking up a fuss.

The sad news is - the time has come to change both our vehicles &, after a lot of deliberation, we've decided to sell The Beast first! I'm still in two minds though as I cannot mentally adjust to letting this one go - the ride comfort, the mental comfort in NCR traffic & the "trundle along without a care in the world" kind of feeling is going to be hard to replace. My son will miss the Sofa during his morning commute - he takes a half an hour nap every morning on the way to school! We will all miss the spacious & airy Cabin. But what to do, sometimes in life, one has to move on...........more as the episode progresses!

Last edited by suman : 4th July 2011 at 14:19.
suman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 18:06   #475
Senior - BHPian

@suman: Thanks for those updates. Reall, it's hard to let away something that has been so close to us. But, you will have to as there are other buyers around ready to buy it, including me. When you are going to sell her, what's the approx. cost you have set-up. I too own a TCIC Safari, planning to sell it too and purchase a 3.0, am lucky you just choose the right time for me.
Old 4th July 2011, 23:24   #476
Senior - BHPian

Oh, that is a sad news, but nevertheless, I guess it was time it happened. What is coming in next? Lemme guess....
Not the Aria, not the Fortuner. Is it a Yeti? Naah, I don't think so either. You ve got me thinking now.
Old 5th July 2011, 10:01   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But, you will have to as there are other buyers around ready to buy it, including me. When you are going to sell her, what's the approx. cost you have set-up. I too own a TCIC Safari, planning to sell it too and purchase a 3.0, am lucky you just choose the right time for me.
Sounds too good to be true . As far as timing is concerned, unless something unexpected comes up, I should be looking at selling ASAP. In fact, the ad is up on the classifieds -
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...a/Safari.html/

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
What is coming in next? Lemme guess....
Not the Aria, not the Fortuner. Is it a Yeti? Naah, I don't think so either. You ve got me thinking now.
I wish I knew - seriously . But you're correct, its none of the above three, as things stand now!
Old 5th July 2011, 10:35   #478
Senior - BHPian

^
So what's your next vehicle going to be?
Old 5th July 2011, 12:42   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
^
So what's your next vehicle going to be?
You don't even want to get into that discussion

Basically, I have two cars to replace -
  • Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI
  • Safari VX 4x4
For the mayhem on "What Next", join this thread -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...ml#post2416202

Last edited by suman : 5th July 2011 at 12:48.
Old 5th July 2011, 15:01   #480
BHPian

Hi Suman,
Congratulations on completing the 100 k mark. its a long distance. Even at 60kmph average, it will take 70 days of continuous drive. Wow! (It will take another 20 days for me to reach there)

Just an off-topic Question. I have a Ritz and planning for an used Tata safari. do you think a safari which has run say 40-50k, has enough juice left without making a hole in your pocket. I understand, It will depend on the car condition, but just a question?
Closed Thread