Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2007, 12:04   #31
BHPian
 
carfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Udupi
Posts: 559
Thanked: 178 Times
Default

moralfibre,even i had doubts regarding the ecu remap but didnt comment as i was not very sure.if i remember right,fiat did re-map the ecu of the palio 1.2 sometimes back-thus was born the 1.2 nv which was done to increase the fuel efficiency.to the best of my knowledge,such a thing was not done for the 1.6
so its the cat-con alone doing the damage.have to start searching for a free-flow exhaust once i get the money!!
carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2007, 01:56   #32
BHPian
 
roms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 640
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
so its the cat-con alone doing the damage.have to start searching for a free-flow exhaust once i get the money!!
Yeah, that seems to be the perfect way of curing a constipated palio 1.6.

Sure enough, the new ones are not as responsive due to reasons mentioned in this thread.But what i've noticed is that its just the initial response that is a bit lack lustre.There should'nt be much of a difference once the car is above the 2000 rpm mark.But yes,the car will feel significantly sluggish with a/c on and a full load of passengers.I experienced this sluggishness when I test drove the euro 3 petra last year.The Petra diesel in comparison was much better in terms of low end response.

Infact,the palio 1.6 was reintroduced as the PALIO 1.6 'NV' SPORT, so as to emphasise that changes were made along the lines of the 1.2 engine.Now it is confirmed that the cat converter was repositioned near the exhaust manifold to enable the engine to reach optimum operating temperature at start-up, thereby reducing emissions and enabling the engine to meet euro3 norms.This alone would have affected the initial response of the engine.I'm not sure if the ecu has been tweaked as well or not.

Whatever it is,it still is a great car/hot hatch,and is still brilliant enough to provide adequate levels of driving pleasure.

Last edited by roms : 6th February 2007 at 02:05.
roms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2007, 09:22   #33
Team-BHP Support
 
moralfibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MH-12
Posts: 6,622
Thanked: 6,143 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Does the year of manufacture of the ECU, and hence the firmware have any effect on what the mapping is? Couldnt you re-program / re-map the ECU?
They could but Fiat has already brought down ECU's to India from Magnetti Marelli and I dont think or rather know whether India operations has any method by which they can remap the ECU locally. I have the software CD's for the latest ECU program and I can confirm that the software hasnt changed since 2002.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2007, 09:24   #34
Team-BHP Support
 
moralfibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MH-12
Posts: 6,622
Thanked: 6,143 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
moralfibre,even i had doubts regarding the ecu remap but didnt comment as i was not very sure.if i remember right,fiat did re-map the ecu of the palio 1.2 sometimes back-thus was born the 1.2 nv which was done to increase the fuel efficiency.
I doubt if the ECU was remapped in the NV either? The cat-con was repositioned.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2007, 11:24   #35
BHPian
 
roms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 640
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I doubt if the ECU was remapped in the NV either? The cat-con was repositioned.
Nope,the ecu was changed for the NV. I can vouch for that. Refer to my first ever thread on this forum where I had introduced myself .I had a 2002 manufactured 1.2 then.Refer to reply number 9 in that thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/introd...tml#post172430 (NOOO Not another FIAT fan !!)
roms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2007, 11:38   #36
BHPian
 
mahadev_kc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 318
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Can ECU be remapped to the original GTX ? If so, how it can be done to my 1.6 Sport ? Who will do that and how much it charges ?
mahadev_kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2007, 11:57   #37
BHPian
 
carfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Udupi
Posts: 559
Thanked: 178 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahadev_kc View Post
Can ECU be remapped to the original GTX ? If so, how it can be done to my 1.6 Sport ? Who will do that and how much it charges ?

mahadev,but why?according to moralfibre and roms,the ecu is the same as that of the gtx-then why bother to remap it?and in any case,if not done properly by an expert,you will be inviting trouble.

better to install a free flow exhaust.less tensions and probably cheaper too!
carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2007, 12:34   #38
BHPian
 
Firebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai / EC1M 3NH
Posts: 470
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

Well guys, I may sound stupid, but
1. could you tell me where can i get free flow exhaust installed on my 1.6?
2. Will it affect FE adversely as currently i am very much satisfied with it.
Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2007, 12:57   #39
Team-BHP Support
 
moralfibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MH-12
Posts: 6,622
Thanked: 6,143 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Well guys, I may sound stupid, but
1. could you tell me where can i get free flow exhaust installed on my 1.6?
Go to anyone but Automech in Parel (Sun Mills compound). They DO NOT know how to install FFE's in Palio's and are lousy with customer service. Read my experience here - Post #62 . I will post pictures soon.

Quote:
2. Will it affect FE adversely as currently i am very much satisfied with it.
I don't think it should if it is properly designed.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2007, 14:07   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
GeekSrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,279
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Moralfibre - pardon my stupid question, i need to know what exactly is a free flow exhaust? and also whether the detuning of the 1.6 engine on the new cars have improved the fuel efficiency at all? to more than 9kmpl?
GeekSrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2007, 15:56   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
gemithomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,364
Thanked: 136 Times
Default

From what i have heard the new 1.6 Sport comes with different Gear Ratios and a Catalytic Converter placed Closer to the Engine. The New Gear Ratio should be responsible for the Sluggishness But It gives you a cool extra 1.5-2KM extra mileage. My Adventure Gives me an Average of 10.5-11 KM/L With Just a little below 9km/L in CIty Driving. I dont think the GTX used to give that much. CAn someone confirm on the FE.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2007, 16:32   #42
Team-BHP Support
 
moralfibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MH-12
Posts: 6,622
Thanked: 6,143 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
Moralfibre - pardon my stupid question, i need to know what exactly is a free flow exhaust? and also whether the detuning of the 1.6 engine on the new cars have improved the fuel efficiency at all? to more than 9kmpl?
This link will help you understand better -
Yes detuning the 1.6 sport has improved FE on the car. I get around 10-11 kmpl in city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
From what i have heard the new 1.6 Sport comes with different Gear Ratios and a Catalytic Converter placed Closer to the Engine. The New Gear Ratio should be responsible for the Sluggishness But It gives you a cool extra 1.5-2KM extra mileage. My Adventure Gives me an Average of 10.5-11 KM/L With Just a little below 9km/L in CIty Driving. I dont think the GTX used to give that much. CAn someone confirm on the FE.
The Cat is already as close to the engine that it can get. As a matter of fact, it is placed about 2 inches after the exhaust port where the headers converge. I doubt whether any changes are made to the gear ratios. The GTX does give around 10 - 17 kmpl in mixed conditions.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2007, 16:59   #43
Team-BHP Support
 
moralfibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MH-12
Posts: 6,622
Thanked: 6,143 Times
Default

Free flow pictures from Palio 1.6 GTX

You can see what a catalytic converter looks like and how close it already is to the headers.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2007, 17:41   #44
BHPian
 
airfoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 305
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

With decent driving, my 2001 GTX gives me 10 kmpl in the city (75% AC). Highway driving with 100% AC yields ~14 kmpl with speeds around the 120+ mark and reasonable acceleration.
airfoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2007, 19:56   #45
BHPian
 
16v100bhp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Middletown CT USA
Posts: 329
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil View Post
With decent driving, my 2001 GTX gives me 10 kmpl in the city (75% AC). Highway driving with 100% AC yields ~14 kmpl with speeds around the 120+ mark and reasonable acceleration.
Just about same here with my S10
16v100bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Palio 1.6 GTX v/s Palio 1.6 Sport - Visible Differences moralfibre The Indian Car Scene 140 21st May 2014 17:21
Bugatti Veyron Grand Super Sport - Revealed as Bugatti Veyron Grand Sport Vitesse Scorcher The International Automotive Scene 18 19th April 2013 17:16
Palio 1.6 Sport Vs Palio MJD- pure economics zaks The Indian Car Scene 11 17th March 2008 14:22
Dunlop SP Sport 9000/ SP Sport 2000/2000E rajeevrs Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 4 29th July 2007 10:25
help me decide-palio sport or adventure sport 1.6 for city driving premchetan Hatchbacks 46 9th February 2007 17:44


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks