Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 21st February 2018, 16:15   #46
BHPian

Default Re: 400,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!

Hatsoff jonesanto!

You are truly an inspiration.

I have never seen or heard about a non T board car being maintained well and run for this much miles. I have traveled in a couple of T board Innovas one of them had 5L kms on the odo. It is one of the cabs attached to my employer and I see it running well even now.

I have a 2011 Figo Diesel myself that has done 143k kms till date. Several people including the sales and service folks at Ford dealerships have tried to scare me with so many frightening tales about Ford's 1.4 TDCi engine and the injector issues with Figo D in particular. I have never had to spend a penny on premature parts failure. My last visit to Ford service almost made me think of selling the car off as they quoted ~50k INR for clutch replacement, sorting gearbox synchro issues and 140k regular service. They even told me that the 1.4 TDCi will not last longer than 180k kms, hence it is a waste of money to service the car now and advised me to consider selling it. I was so sad after this episode and came out of the service center without servicing the car. Was in a dilemma for a week and as luck would have it I happened to meet a mechanic who sounded like knowing Fords for long and appreciating them for what they are. I left my car with him for a week to get the gearbox issues sorted out, clutch replaced, EGR cleaned and fluids and filters changed. It did not cost me even half of what the Ford guys quoted. The car drives so well after that and I intend to keep it running for as long as it can.

I also have a 2002 M800 that has run 103k kms and is rarely used these days.

Stories like yours are truly an inspiration for people like me.
hardoop is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 12:59   #47
BHPian

Congratulations Jonesanto. Even after 12 years and 400000km, your car is in pristine condition. This shows how much you love your car and how dedicated you have been maintaining it. I hope it will hit the 500k mark before you plan to put it at rest.
Amit_Kapoor4750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2018, 18:37   #48
BHPian

Update:

After 400K and countless cleaning, EGR finally packed up. For the past couple of months I have been facing on/off engine check light issue when I go for long drives. If I take it above 120 kph engine check light comes on, this happens only when I go for long drives and in city everything is normal. So when the check light is on, performance become very sluggish, I have to switch off the car for 5-10 mins then start again. Check light gone and everything is back to normal. So if I keep it under 120 kph, I can drive all day long without any issues. Since 120 is a good speed I have been managing all this while, but let's say when you need to gain some speed, then you're in trouble and it was irritating at times. So I took the car to service station, SA told me, this time I have to change the EGR, cleaning won't work again. Ordered the part, 6500 was the amount. Took about 3 days time to reach the part and total bill was around 7500. But they kept the car for a day just to change EGR, which I was not happy about, their explanation was EGR bolt was too tight to remove and they applied some lubricant and need to wait. I got the car next day, settled the bill and got out from the showroom...

Experience after EGR change:

I was really anxious to experience how the car would perform. I put first gear, not much difference, I put second gear, nothing much... I was like "What? So EGR was not the issue? I lost money and now I have to find why this engine check light keep popping up?" Thinking about all this in my mind and I put the third gear The difference is day and night, car just pulled like when it was "brand new." It was like car was dragging something before and now it's gone. I put forth gear, the performance is amazing. To test 5th gear I needed to wait for a while, since I was driving in the city there were no opportunities to test 5th gear and I did get a chance last week. Did a round trip about 700km and it was so good to drive the car like this after a long period.

Turbo opens at correct RPM now, for this car, it starts pooling in at 1800rpm and really kicks in at 2000, when I had EGR issue, this was not consistent. Because the turbo opens at correct RPM I am gaining speed way faster than it used to be. Over all, very happy with the EGR change.

Puzzle: I still don't understand why there's no noticeable difference in 1st and 2nd gear. Pulling is great in those gears but the actual difference is felt only in 3rd and 4th gear.

Bad news:

SA told me cars radiator is at its end and may run for another 10K, there is no leak or anything but he said cracks are developing at the top panel and I can expect it to be leaking in some time. So that will be some 15K job including labor. Clutch also require changing, SA told me with my driving, it's good for another 25K, which is a relief. Suspension require some work, so I am looking at a huge budget for Elantra this year.

I may not do all the work this year, but definitely not selling the car
Attached Thumbnails
400,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20180402_174648.jpg  

400,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20180402_174741.jpg  

400,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20180402_174809.jpg  

Last edited by Eddy : 2nd April 2018 at 19:19. Reason: corrected typo
jonesanto is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2018, 20:10   #49
Senior - BHPian

Good to see EGR replacement did good. For such an old car, the part costs seem reasonable. I know this engine very well, my 1st gen Tucson had the same engine and it's a very nice punchy engine, should be even more so in the lighter Elantra.

Always a pleasure to read about such long term ownership experiences.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2018, 12:14   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Good to see EGR replacement did good. For such an old car, the part costs seem reasonable. I know this engine very well, my 1st gen Tucson had the same engine and it's a very nice punchy engine, should be even more so in the lighter Elantra.

Always a pleasure to read about such long term ownership experiences.
Thanks, Anandpadhye, sorry for the late reply. In India, Hyundai used this engine in three of their vehicles, Tucson, Elantra and Sonata, of which Tucos is the rarest to find now.

I have another issue with Elantra. There's a leak from ERG connecting point, first I thought it was due to ERG replacement, so I went to the showroom where I got this replaced. They took the vehicle, inspected and informed me that the leak is not from the ERG but it is from the "oil pressure switch." It has nothing to do with ERG and because the switch is situated under ERG the leak appears from there.

Have a look at the picture from above post when ERG is replaced and the picture attached now, there are oil spots and looks like coming from ERG.

I am not convinced by their answer and when I checked about the price, switch will be 2K and they said I need to change air filter pipe also. Because that pipe also has a minute leak. Air filter pipe will cost 700rs.

Should I take a second opinion or go ahead and order the parts?
Attached Thumbnails
400,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20180519_172833.jpg  

jonesanto is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2018, 16:07   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesanto View Post

Have a look at the picture from above post when ERG is replaced and the picture attached now, there are oil spots and looks like coming from ERG.

I am not convinced by their answer and when I checked about the price, switch will be 2K and they said I need to change air filter pipe also. Because that pipe also has a minute leak. Air filter pipe will cost 700rs.

Should I take a second opinion or go ahead and order the parts?

Here is what happened in my case:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3049656 (Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done EDIT: Accident, total loss and vehicle scrapped.)

So in my opinion, these pipes can crack after so many years and it will be prudent to replace them. You can take second opinion from the guys at Trident who attended to my Tucson (not sure if they are still with Trident). And Anoop (Digital Vampire on the forum) is the man to go to, when it comes to this engine. You should get in touch with him and may be visit Bay6 (his workshop).
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2018, 20:41   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Here is what happened in my case:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3049656 (Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done EDIT: Accident, total loss and vehicle scrapped.)

So in my opinion, these pipes can crack after so many years and it will be prudent to replace them. You can take second opinion from the guys at Trident who attended to my Tucson (not sure if they are still with Trident). And Anoop (Digital Vampire on the forum) is the man to go to, when it comes to this engine. You should get in touch with him and may be visit Bay6 (his workshop).
Thanks a lot, anandpadhye, looks like my case could be similar. Like you said, we have to change the pipes at some point and I don't remember changing air filter pipe for Elantra. But, I did check the air filter and I could not find anything unusual, so mine could be a minute leak and maybe the leak just started. Car was in Bangalore till last week, I drove her back to Kerala and it is after the trip I noticed the leak. Since it is an oil leak, I don't want to risk going for another long drive without fixing it. So I will try to rectify the issue from the showroom here.

When the car is in Bangalore I do get the service done from Trident, overall I am happy with their service. I will also make sure to visit Anoop from Bay6. I need some advice about getting some work done. Suspension needs work, clutch also is at its end, SA saying radiator needs work, I don't have the budget to do everything at once, so what should I do first? Only an expert can check the condition of the parts and give me a suggestion. Have you ever had to do any engine work for your Tucson?

Thank you again for the reply

Last edited by jonesanto : 24th May 2018 at 20:45.
Old 15th June 2018, 11:02   #53
BHPian

Update:

Elantra was having a minute oil leak, first I noticed oil spots around EGR and later found oil traces on the ground as well. This is the first time Elantra is having any sort of oil leak and I wanted to get this fixed as soon as possible. Up on checking it was found that two areas were having leak. One, oil pressure switch and second was air filter pipe.

Both parts were not available in stock and had to be ordered, took about 10 days time to reach the parts. Again car was kept for a day to do this small work, this time excuse was, they had too many cars to handle. Anyway, I told them you can take your time, but I want the job to be done neatly. After changing the parts make sure leak has stopped.

It was raining heavily when I went to take the car back, and the car was already parked out side service bay, so could not inspect under body. Morning I checked the under body and found no traces of oil and I think the issue is rectified.

Service advisor got the pricing of the items wrong, first he informed, oil pressure switch is 2K and air filter pipe is some 700. In fact oil pressure switch is 500rs and air filter pipe is a modest 2300. Total bill was around 3500.

When I checked old air filter pipe I could not find any damage at all, looks absolutely fine, no cracks, could find little oil inside the pipe, not sure if that is normal. Attaching pictures of the parts and oil trace. Marked in circle is the minute oil trace on the ground. Checked all the oil levels and everything looks fine for the time being.
Attached Thumbnails
400,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20180613_103949.jpg  

400,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20180615_094239.jpg  

400,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20180615_094314.jpg  

400,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20180615_100759.jpg  

400,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20180615_100817.jpg  

400,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20180615_100850.jpg  

Old 17th June 2018, 01:09   #54
BHPian

Don't know how I missed this thread. I want to congratulate you on your experience with the Elantra. It was an underrated car, not the best in its segment but deserving of a lot more appreciation.

Also, your car looks FANTASTIC. Kudos to you for maintaining the car in such a way!
Aaron:) is offline   Reply With Quote