Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 6th January 2007, 00:53   #1
BHPian

Default Corolla - Update @ 10000 kms

I will try to give perspective which is not available on a brochure or auto magazine.

Details on usage:
4.5 months old, Daily approximately 50km

3 outstation trips from Bangalore - Conoor (>700km trip), Coorg (>500km trip), (Kanipakam)Chitoor (>400 km trip single day)

Mileage - local travel : 10.5 to 10.75 km/l
Highway - 14.5 to 15 with AC on.

Major problems so far : none
Minor problems requiring trips to dealer : none
Anything terribly bad requiring thought! : none
comfort: high
anything malfunctioning: none so far (touchwood)
any wheelchange etc. : none

cleaning schedule: daily quick wash by cleaner with water weekly wash with car shampoo (sometimes) or just plain water. polish once in 4-5 weeks. internal claening with car vacuum purchased for about Rs.1200.

refuelling schedule: as soon as it nears the halfway mark, fill it
air filled on each refuel to 30ps each wheel.

bumps and scratches: close shaves on low speed(many!!), scratches and bumps (touch wood saved so far!!).
the ORVM have been brushed/pushed a few times by pedestrians, oncoming car's ORVM once. Minor scratches exist, it still operates well.

next (first) service due - @10000km.
run in followed: avoided > 80kmph for first 1800km. avoided > 2000 RPM for first 1800km. After 1800 Km, went on the Ooty highway (includes climb on 1st/2nd gear)

driving style: as per traffic in the city, have not crossed 2500 RPM till now
good highway : touched 140 to check out but cruise around 100. always use AC whether in the city or not. windows are always closed.

Could be better:
a). the gauge used for building the car can be thicker reducing the tinny sound. No thud heard on closing boot (cannot comment on bonnet as never used). Doors seem to be ok.

b). the vibrations (causing windows to rattle on a horrible surface) can be further reduced within the car - mind you, it is a great car, I am not complaining here, but just some scope for improvement to Toyota. I can hear this sound if I am keen to listen. If not, or if somebody is not concerned, they will not hear this sound.

c). the handbreak can be tighter. I get a much more confident feel of holding the car back on my Santro.

d). would prefer seatbelt indicator separate for co-passenger.

e). boot is excellent. it holds anything. the entry is narrow so you can't push a 1.5 m * 1.5m * 1.5m cardboard box in it - which you could in a santro (on folding rear seat and ushing through boot).

What is wow!!
a). sense of space in the car. my 3 year old loves sleeping on the back seat on long drives and the car is wow! just for that.
b). easy entry and exit for all passengers.
c). no scraping anything on the bottom even with full load - of course I have taken due care as well and not jumped over speed breakers.
d). AC, audio are good. controls are good.
e). drivability is good in the sense of ease of driving in the city. I am not a high speed enthusiast so cannot comment from that perspective. Power is available anytime you need it (including 5th gear for overtaking though 4th is advisable for better control and power while doing manouevers). Easy to drive around/park in the city. Low turning radius for this class and can see front bonnet. rear might be a problem and requires judgement(no cameras).

wishlist:
a). Mute button for audio missing
b). volume up down button is better than a knob.
c). Lights can be stronger - can't see the road fully if oncoming traffic has high beam. fog lamps help here as they are bright and light the road without hurting oncoming traffic. Longer throws on the fog might be useful.
d). boot opener on the remote.

What else? nothing actually. I am happy with the car. Lets see how the A.S.S turns out to be.

Last edited by subbarp : 6th January 2007 at 01:10. Reason: missing points -wishlist added
subbarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2007, 01:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Very nice review Sir.I think you could have a look at the aftermarket light options.On your next service check up if anything can be done with regards to the gauge,window vibrations and the handbreak.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2007, 01:27   #3
BHPian

i ve done bout 30000 great car love the power engine s a bit noisy at higer revs got a k and n intake in now sounds great power up is not huge though wish the steering wheel was a lil smaller and the front seats as soft as the rear ones gets a lil light feeling after 160 happy with the car wish there was the xrs sport version here its 160 or 170 hp its a celica engine 2zzfe 1.8 one also got 16 rims
paras211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2007, 09:15   #4
BHPian

Great going, subbarp! Thanks for the excellent writeup!
Equus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 20:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Great write up Sir.

Toyota car lights not as strong Maruti cars, I noticed this too in my Innova, FOG Lamps help in this respect for some extent, I am soon thinking to buy better bulbs. I have noticed windows vibration and noice sort of thing in my Innova, I feel its mainly because of our road condition.

Toyota needs to tune this in their cars to be suitable for indian roads.

Thats why I plan to visit service centre tomorrow to fix minor tyre pucture of my Innova, windows vibration fixing, suspension checking/tuning since I plan to go on long drive in couple of weeks.

Over all toyota is great product, its engine which will win in big time according to many guys. It will last long even for Indian condition.

Regards,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 20:50   #6
BHPian

By Ravibhat: "Toyota car lights not as strong Maruti cars"

Hi, I have observed and infact beileved that Corolla has got the most powerful highbeam at the front. Whenever somebody in corolla has given me a dipper from the back, its been a total blackout for me. Am I correct ?
Mendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2007, 02:34   #7
BHPian

Update: Now completed 10,000Km service (1st service).

Cost Rs. 1500 odd (wheel alignnmet/balancing, oil changes etc. labour free only consumbles charged). Time taken to deliver - 4 hours
Any issues encountered till now - none (touch wood).
Old 29th April 2007, 08:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Writeup subbarup, I dont know how I missed the thread before... If light is a problem why dont u upgrade them to 100/90 ... Phillips Rally is a nice choice...

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2007, 08:46   #9
HSV
BHPian

Head lights are a not strong enough? You've got to be kidding me. There are three cars I completely hate when they are coming from the opposite direction with full beam on at night...

1) Corolla - absolutely blinding esp with the fog lamps on as well
2) Santro - Yes sir definitely the Santro
3) Indigo - Surprisingly this one can cause problems too

I am sure there are others too... but these names I remember in particular, so I guess they may be the worst.
HSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2007, 08:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Why not upgrade the bulbs of the headlights.. Go in for 130/100 Phillips Rallye.

Godfather
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 23:39   #11
BHPian

Nice writeup sir...The delivery time of 4 hrs too is very respectable.
Maruti guys keep the car overnight.

I have always liked the corolla for its perfectly proportionate looks, nice interiors and of course the quality.

Have an enjoyable time with the car...
AkMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 09:11   #12
BHPian

Default city names

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Nice writeup sir...The delivery time of 4 hrs too is very respectable.
Maruti guys keep the car overnight.

I have always liked the corolla for its perfectly proportionate looks, nice interiors and of course the quality.

Have an enjoyable time with the car...
Just aw your city name - 'slumbai'. Well, I am from Waterloggaluru.
Old 14th September 2007, 10:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

Good write up but which variant of Corolla is this and what was your On-road cost ???
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 11:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Waterloggaluru....

ha ha ha...nice one.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2007, 11:27   #15
BHPian

Very nice detailed review subbarp! The Corolla has one of the best headlights around! I've sat in a corolla that has 100/130w. Its impressive!

Yeah the mute button is a missing thing!!

I think your variant is H5?

cya
A
Absar is offline   Reply With Quote