Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 22nd October 2012, 18:45   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Default 75000 km - almost 7 years

The Sumo crossed 75k today. It is about 5 weeks short of 7 years, and going steady. Touch wood ! Looks to be on the lower side, but cant help it since the Sumo shares the load along with the Ikon. Come to think of it, I must have used it only for 6 of the 7 years .. the rest of the time when I was either away from BLR, or I was doing my DIY's

Apart from routine maintenance, the only problem that has been around is a leaky a/c. The a/c gas is leaking somewhere, but the A.S.S is not able to find where. So this time they have added some dye / coloring agent to the gas. Hoping to find the leak & fix it when I go back for the routine oil change service in about a month's time.

No modifications to the Sumo after the sound damping work I had done in early 2012. And a special addition - a pair of Hella 700 FF's given by a friend. (A bright thank you to him !)

Last edited by condor : 22nd October 2012 at 18:47.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 10:11   #227
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Truckin'.. A journey of 7 years, 5 months & 78300 km with the Sumo Victa GX Trubo

The Sumo has now completed Seven years. 75.5k on the odo, and running sweet as ever.

Here's one view of the Sumo that I just love. Notice the smooth flow of lines - the bonnet, the corner of the fender, and then the wheel arch. Looks so synchronized, subtle, and time-less.

Truckin'.. A journey of 7 years, 5 months & 78300 km with the Sumo Victa GX Turbo-sumoseven.jpg
condor is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2013, 21:34   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Default 7 yrs, 2 months / 76800 km

Update @ 76.8k:

Sumo back home today after more than a week at Prerana motors. The A/c acted up again, with no cooling. Compressor does get engaged, but no cooling at all. There seems to be a small leakage of the refrigerant gas somewhere. This problem has occured earlier, but since no specific leak was found, a dye added to the refrigerant gas so that we could find the location of the leak. But no trace of leaks found.

This time, another thorough check-up done. One O-ring has been replaced (near the compressor). In case the problem happens again, we would be taking help from TM itself.

One other change: switched from regular air to Nitrogen in the tyres. There is a small, yet perceptible difference with the Sumo feeling less bouncy, and seems to go smoother over rough surfaces.

Last edited by condor : 2nd February 2013 at 21:54.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 17:18   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The Sumo has now completed Seven years. 75.5k on the odo, and running sweet as ever.

Here's one view of the Sumo that I just love. Notice the smooth flow of lines - the bonnet, the corner of the fender, and then the wheel arch. Looks so synchronized, subtle, and time-less.
Yup, looks great indeed
SuMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 17:24   #230
BHPian

My Sumo is now in seventh year. Has done 1.13 lac kms so far. Still going very strong and reliable as usual. This vehicle is simply great. Am thinking of just modifying the interiors with more comfortable seats and storage places on doors etc. If can do then I think a sumo owners wont require to buy any other car really. Any ideas on modifications please?
Old 12th April 2013, 18:41   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Truckin'.. A journey of 7 years, 5 months & 78300 km with the Sumo Victa GX Trubo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuMo View Post
My Sumo is now in seventh year. Has done 1.13 lac kms so far. Still going very strong and reliable as usual. ,.. Am thinking of just modifying the interiors with more comfortable seats and storage places on doors etc.
@SuMO - sorry, missed your post. How about a new one instead of upgrading the interiors ? That's what I am thinking about now - upgrading from the Sumo, to a more proper SUV.
Old 12th April 2013, 18:56   #232
BHPian

Hmmn no, not yet, I am quite happy still with this sumo. In fact now I enjoy working on it and feel happy and satisfied with improvements. Yesterday I changed the voltage regulator inside the alternator. Marked improvement on performance. Now studying how improvement came about by just changing the regulator. I may buy another petrol car but sumo will qlway remain. Most friendly baby.
Old 12th April 2013, 19:30   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuMo View Post
Yesterday I changed the voltage regulator inside the alternator. Marked improvement on performance. Now studying how improvement came about by just changing the regulator.
Please share the details.
Old 13th April 2013, 18:02   #234
BHPian

basically i came to know about the problem when I changed the headlight bulbs to 100/90w instead of 60/55w.(did not want to but what to do? Nowadays everyone goes for it and i was just feeling blind at night).
So when i changed the bulbs they use to blow every day. I checked the voltage which was 16+ volts. This is when i realized that regulator was gone.
It took a while to locate the regulator fellow. Finally got it inside the alternator. Removed it and found the brushes had worn out. Poor things, but they have worked for good 7 years,so thats good.
Searched for a tvs lucas shop, purchased new regulator for 810 rupees. Fitted it and bingo, 14.2 volts 14.3 volts at all rpms.
The surprise was that the sumo was behaving also differently after changing the regulator. Smoother and quiter. This was a real surprise. Now studying to find out if due to higher voltage some other circuitary was not functioning properly. Like the cold start module or the egr module. Any problem to this may be affecting the injection/ timing etc and thats why now i am feeling the difference? Or is it that since the alternator was overworking it was eating couple of horses and those have now become free for pushing the wheels instead and thats why i am feeling the difference?
You all can also put in thoughts please.
Old 13th April 2013, 20:49   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1020257
Great shot

Kinda reminds me of the Hummer from that angle
karan561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 13:38   #236
BHPian

Quote:
@SuMO - sorry, missed your post. How about a new one instead of upgrading the interiors ? That's what I am thinking about now - upgrading from the Sumo, to a more proper SUV.
Condor may I know why you do not consider SUMO as MORE PROPER SUV .

I am seriously considering Sumo Gold as my next car in a few weeks. So your view will be more valuable for me to give second thought to my choice. I am not a fast driver and I hope that sumo will be a more comfortable car for long drive and that too with good manuvarability. Another point is that I am more comfortable with a tall vehicle. There are many SUVs in the market with more power than Sumo and that too with engine capcity of less than 2200 CC . But in slow and medium speed driving I have found 3000 cc engine of Sumo to be more suitable.
koushik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 14:38   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

@Koushik, some of the reason:

1. Short WB. Means great for city, but not good for high speeds
2. Is about 150 mm narrower than the Safari. And a little higher taller. So not as stable as the Safari.
3. Interior comfort. It is fair, but not as good as a Safari

4. Please check the sensitivity of the steering. My Sumo has power steering, and is very very light. I prefer something less light

Importantly, For me, Another Sumo is not what I would like to do.

It would have been been good if TML had had the CR4 / better engine than the 2.0L TCIC when I was buying it, but they did not. The 2.0L TCIC is underpowered, but the CR4 looks better.

The vehicle is good for city, very manouverable. I am looking for a bigger jump than just 2.0L TCIC to the CR4. The Sumo now feels spartan. I can say I have out-grown the Sumo.

My suggestion -get a good TD of the Sumo & may be a Safari. You may see a difference. Do take your family too on the TD's.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 23:29   #238
BHPian

Some thoughts from my end...the two litre TCIC engine is an indirect injection engine..this makes it a slow starter hence one feels that it is underpowered..but in fifth gear it can run upto 120-130 kmph and that too with ease..on an open road with around 2800 to 3000 rpm .. even with ac on ... this sumo can be a challenge to some other vehicles in its class. But in city , yes she can be a pain if one is a bit low on patience. On the other hand CR4 scores in city because its a direct injection common rail engine. But on the higher side the power is less than TCIC 1948cc. so basically one has to understand the limitations of the engine and adjust accordingly. The DICOR safari is yet another breed. Its also a common rail engine but it is quiter and smoother. Its better than the CR4. A sumo with a DICOR engine will shut shop for some other competitors actually but TM has probably not given it a thought. Its sad actually. Anyway I will not opt for CR4 , its kind of more noisy and vibrating.. waiting for Sumo DICOR. She will come someday. Until then 1948 cc IDE is the best.I enjoy it driving in MUMBAI. Safari I dont think I can enjoy in Mumbai.
Old 17th April 2013, 08:02   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by koushik View Post
I am seriously considering Sumo Gold as my next car in a few weeks. .. But in slow and medium speed driving I have found 3000 cc engine of Sumo to be more suitable.
@Koushik, I would suggest you check out a couple of models before you take the final decision. I suggest this because you are looking for a new car. Do check out the Storme, or any others in the similar range. You may have to stretch your budget a bit, but you will have a vehicle that may be better in the long run.
Old 18th April 2013, 10:04   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Default LTR @ 7 yrs 4 months / 78,200 km

For the last 3-4 months, the A.c had been giving a problem of no cooling. The refrigerant gas used to leak, and despite repeated tries by the team at Prerana motors, they had not been able to find the fault. They had even consulted other A.S.C's during the last visit.

Finally, about 3 weeks back, the cause was found - faulty O-rings inside the compressor. Waiting for parts, since it was not available locally. The request for parts has been escalated to TML.

Must appreciate the team at Prerana Motors for approach and for getting to the root of the problem - and for following up for the parts. Thank you, Prerana Motors !