Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 29th June 2010, 21:51   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

@Soccer, fellow member SuMo is with his second Sumo, got in 2006. All leads point to the Victa turbo, same model as mine.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 22:04   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The one problem there is : stock rims are 5.5J. I think the 235's will need atleast 6J rims. Apart from this one concern, 235/75 R15 or 235/70R16 - are both options and the differences are not much ( in terms of odo errors etc)
Yes, in Safari TCIC the rims are 6J. BTW, I donot think that 235 are beyond the limits of 5.5J. The tyre can be fitted in my terms.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 22:20   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Recommended Rim sizes for 235 is 7 (possibly), and the fittable range is 6 to 8. So 5.5 doesnt look advisable for 235's will bulge outside from the level of the rim.
Old 30th June 2010, 14:07   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
mercedised : The R15 will provide better ride comfort, 235\75 R15(TCIC). while a R16 tyre will have a good stability and car will handle a bit better than on R15. ..
@Mercedised & BJ96, one question for you guys : There was post some time back on another thread, with a pic of a Sumo with smaller front wheels. That Sumo was a cab, used in the hilly regions. Question is, why would they do that, if larger tyres are better for stability / comfort ?
Old 19th July 2010, 08:41   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Adding a lamp for the 3rd row

A DIY that I had completed a few months back : adding a roof mount lamp for the rear of the truck. The Sumo has lamps for the front row and the middle row, but nothing for the rear. So when you open the rear door, you have to depend on the light from the middle row, which is often not sufficient. Esp if you have luggage in the rear and you want to search for something.

Solution ? There's a dummy spot where a lamp could have been mounted at the factory itself, but wasnot done. Got a lamp (the same type as is on the middle row), fabricated a mounting base from mdf board, and mounted this to the cover of this dummy spot. Connections are in parallel to the middle row roof lamp, which makes this unit completely independent. Wiring and mounting is such that there is minimal damage to the interiors. Wires have been drawn from inside the roof fabric, such that you cannot see any wires outside and the unit looks almost OEM.

The finished view :

Truckin'.. A journey of 7 years, 5 months & 78300 km with the Sumo Victa GX Turbo-sumorearlamp.jpg

A couple of pics before closing it : mounted & ready for the bulb.

Truckin'.. A journey of 7 years, 5 months & 78300 km with the Sumo Victa GX Turbo-sumorearlamp2.jpg

Instead of the bulb, prepared a LED lamp using warm-white superflux LEDs

Truckin'.. A journey of 7 years, 5 months & 78300 km with the Sumo Victa GX Turbo-sumorearlamp1.jpg

Lighting is sufficient, though I am not able to capture the same in a pic, possibly because of the non-reflecting surfaces.

Cost : approx 160/- for the LED setup.

The lamp unit ? Would have costed me about 200 - 250/-. But this specific unit is actually from a Tata ESTATE ! It was a complement from my friends from you know where. This unit uses a smaller bulb than the lamp units we get today, and was lying there as dead inventory.

This rectangular lamp unit is also used in Mahindra's - and possibly other vehicles like Force etc.

Once I finished this, got down to doing something similar on the Ikon .. and the result is here :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1986678-post321.html
Old 29th August 2010, 08:32   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Servicing : 57 mo / 58.8k

Truck's back from the 60k service, with the odo at 58.5k. Servicing done as usual at Prerana Motors, Hosur Rd.

Major items :
Oil & oil filter change (6 months / 4.5k run)
Coolant changed (must be the original coolant)
Front brake pads - 4 (after 35k usage)
Fuel filters -2

Smaller items -
metal strip in window (on request)
One fuel pipe (pre-emptive replacement).

Paid sevice &
Labor for brake pads & metal strip.

Total : 2941/-
Excludes oil (7 liters)

Am trying out Mobil Delvac this time. Let me see how it goes.

Overall, service costs are steady : approx 3k.

If I do incude the oil (1400/- since it was purchased outside) and excluded the brake pads & the metal strip, the cost would still be at about 2950/-. The T.A.S.S uses Castrol, costing 250/- per liter. So if I had used oil supplied by them, then I would have paid 350/- more for the oil.

Last edited by condor : 29th August 2010 at 08:35.
Old 29th August 2010, 12:49   #127
Senior - BHPian

@condor:
A few queries from my side:

1) Oil change at 4,500 kms seems too short drain interval?

2) Only 1400 for 7 ltrs? It costs me some 2200 Rs of oil when I purchase it at TASC?

3) Coolant cost?

Thanks.
Old 29th August 2010, 13:22   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
@condor:
A few queries from my side:

1) Oil change at 4,500 kms seems too short drain interval?

2) Only 1400 for 7 ltrs? It costs me some 2200 Rs of oil when I purchase it at TASC?

3) Coolant cost?

Thanks.
Dont think Sumo would need 7 lit of oil and hence the price.

And oil change at 4500km, guess voluntary( Edit: he does it at every 5k ).

8 lit of old Delvac cost me around 260Rs x8 lit.

Emm; guess I am wrong.

Quote:
from an older post: Service Bill : 2.7k - includes a 10% Tata Gold Club discount for the oil & labor, 7 liters of 15W40 Castrol and a fog lamp bulb replacement.

Last edited by jkdas : 29th August 2010 at 13:28.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 22:21   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

@mercedised & JK, 4.5k was not the deciding factor. It had been 7 months since my last oil change, and hence got it done. Else I try to do stick to the recommended 10k intervals.

The Sumo TCIC needs 6.8L of oil. 7L was the amount I had in hand, hence used that for calculations.

Coolant
Golder Cruiser Sunstar : 5 liters, at 645/- incl tax.

@mercedised, standard Castrol that the T>A.S.S has costs abt 250 - 257 per liter. 7 litres works out to 1800/- max. How much quantity of oil are you getting billed for ?

One more thing you can check for is : when they fill oil, check the level. The guys here used to fill 7.7L, saying it was the required amount. But this used to be well above the max level. On 2 occasions I got them to even drain out the excess. Since then, I leave instructions each time that they should put 6.5, then top up only how much is required. This way I prevent excess oil and excess bills.

@JK, I get a slight discount on the oil - the can shows approx 1200/- for 5 liters. The oil dealer gives it at 1000/-
Old 30th August 2010, 15:52   #130
Senior - BHPian

@condor:

The price quoted at last service was

Castrol GTX @ 296 Rs\ltr.

I trust them as it is an company authorized workshop. Is it way above the normal? (price) If it is then I will from now on change the oil outside TASS.

I fill 7.5 Ltrs of oil in my TCIC Safari.
Old 30th August 2010, 15:56   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

@mercedised, it is possible that they are charging you MRP. Expect to pay MRP when buying from any T.A.S.S or other service center. You will get the discounts only when you buy from a oil dealer.

Also, next time you fill 7.5 liters, check the oil level on the dipstick. Actually, do it today & let me know. I suspect you will be above max.

Note:
I dont know if the price increased recently. The Rate I mentioned was from Jan 2010.
Old 30th August 2010, 16:05   #132
Senior - BHPian

Actually, The oil capacity specified for the Safari in the manual is 8 ltrs. So, at 7.5 ltrs it is at the maximum 'hole' of the dipstick. The oil SCAMS of Castrol have increased drastically in the market, so I never preferred to buy the Castrol oil from outside the TASS. But, this time I will.

Thanks for your information, it definitely saved my hard earned money this time.
Old 30th August 2010, 22:22   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Jaggu / Nitrous, need a help :

Am using Delvac for the first time. But noticing 3 things :

1. Engine is rough. Noticeably rough
2. Pick-up reduced
3. engine doesnt start immed on cranking.

All this just after coming back from servicing. Was much smoother before servicing.

Oil has been changed.. but I'm thinking if I should just go back and get Castrol GTX, and pour the 1000 odd bucks worth of oil down the drain.
Old 30th August 2010, 23:11   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Jaggu / Nitrous, need a help :

Am using Delvac for the first time. But noticing 3 things :

1. Engine is rough. Noticeably rough
2. Pick-up reduced
3. engine doesnt start immed on cranking.

All this just after coming back from servicing. Was much smoother before servicing.

Oil has been changed.. but I'm thinking if I should just go back and get Castrol GTX, and pour the 1000 odd bucks worth of oil down the drain.
Afraid I couldn't help butting in to answer this . Engine roughness/loss of pickup is CERTAINLY NOT related to your using Delvac. You've got to look for other reasons - moisture or air in the fuel lines, most likely. Run the car for a couple of days and check again.

Oh, and don't pour oils down drains!
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 07:58   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

@SS-T, please do !

I have run 150km in 3 days. And no respite. Another reason for asking this question was the similar feedback I had got for Shell oil in a Verna CRDi.

And I didnt mean physically pouring oil down the drain, but figuratively

(SS-T, pls avoid the quoting - my msg is right here for ref .. thanks ! )