Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 4th June 2015, 11:40   #196
BHPian

Default Re: Toyota Corolla H4 Automatic EDIT: Now at 8+ years/78,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Has anyone tried replacing the Toyota stereo system in Corolla (2002-08).
Yes. This can be done. I have seen this done 3/4 years back as well. Guess they should be around still.

Quote:
That is now very ancient in terms of features, but in my car (H4) there is audio control on steering wheel so I have not bothered to change the system.
Agreed. A lot of water has flown under the bridge.

Quote:
I want to change the audio system provided I do not lose audio control on steering wheel.
Yes. This can be managed as well.
@Chaand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 11:45   #197
Senior - BHPian

So if that is the case that is great news. I consider replacing the ancient stereo system as a worthwhile upgrade. Any suggestions. Will 15-20K get me something good and if so what. Have not bought any stereo system since I bought one from my Zen in May 1999 (so 16+ years). All cars bought from then on had the stereo system.

No rear DVD required since car is owner driven and I hardly travel out of town.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 14:53   #198
BHPian

Quote:

My first 2 brakepad replacements were quite quick (2008 and 2010). However, that was usual as AT brakepads last less (20-25K). However from feb 2009, my office shifted to NOIDA which is a 10 km commute one way (as opposed to earlier 35 km commute to Gurgaon). Do not know why but there has been no brake pad replacement after around 40-42K on the odo.

Nice thread. Good that your car is serving you well and hope it does so for as long as you need it.

I own a Honda City AT i-Vtec. 2009 make. 55K KM.
Brakepads have been replaced only once, that too at 42K with lots of city driving. HASS informs me that next will not be before 80K.
@Chaand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 19:03   #199
AWD
BANNED

Im also driving a 03 model Corolla & not very happy with the vehicle since day 1. The suspension has been below par w.r.t. to Ride comfort. Following up on it, I had to get both front & rear shockers changed @ 85k kms. Brake pads were changed once @ 40k kms, the cars are on aftermarket set of pads.

For the rest of it, the car has aged pretty well, it still looks showroom fresh after a good wash. Clutch has become somewhat heavy & gears dont slot in with the same ease. Body sheet metal used is very light, it dents with even someone just leaning against the vehicle. I still maintain, this gen. Corolla was just a test product in India, with the following Corollas, quality took a significant bump-up.

I retained this car due to the poor resale value more than anything else. The car doesnt have the Japanese "petrol" cars refinement & handling is not its forte. Shape though has coped well with the evolving mkt & the car still doesnt look out of place among the new breed of cars.
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 14:00   #200
Senior - BHPian

As a celebration of exceeding 8 years with not much spent on mechanical issues, I wish to use the saved money on replacing the original leather seats/trim in H4 Corolla.

I have strong preference towards Stanley in Gurgaon (near Sahara Mall) and he told me to expect the cost to be around Rs. 50-55,000. Their reputation is quite strong but has anyone had a strong negative experience.

Also wish to get interiors (plastic etc) cleaned from Stanley. Leather is anyway taken off by new leather.
Old 9th June 2015, 11:04   #201
Senior - BHPian

Please will no one give me feedback about Stanley specifically what should I buy at 50-60K and whether that is sufficient to get a good quality leather that will not sag or create back impressions on the seats, etc
Old 20th June 2015, 19:58   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone tried replacing the Toyota stereo system in Corolla (2002-08). That is now very ancient in terms of features, but in my car (H4) there is audio control on steering wheel so I have not bothered to change the system.

I want to change the audio system provided I do not lose audio control on steering wheel. If this is easy, can someone suggest a good audio system (say in A+/A class and prices).
I replaced the OE system in the 2003 AT with my own JVC Double Din ; all I needed was a Toyota wiring harness for aftermarket systems and a double din Dash kit from DH Corporation.

You could consider a Kenwood plug and play touchscreen audio(DDX630WBT or equivalent) for Toyota - no harness or steering control interface required but a dash kit from Metra USA (part no. 95-8204) or DHCorporation Mumbai would do.

On Stanley , I would say no ; please retain the original leather seats. They are just "two" good.The next time you change the oil please use Castrol Magnatec 10W40 API SN and see the difference :-)

Last edited by vigsom : 20th June 2015 at 20:00. Reason: addition
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 09:22   #203
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all the tips.
I just spent 45K on paint and 3M cleaning so aftermarket audio system will have to wait for next month. Will get it done from a reputed Delhi shop but any suggestions on which brand and what setup considering the existing OEM setup and my preference for good enough but not the loudest (Pioneer/JVC)

I am not getting Stanley for now (which means at least 1 year). The OEM seat has been somewhat torn on the front seat but negligible damage on the back seat. I have decided that the cost of living with this is much less than the cost of Stanley and the possible risk of losing the OEM fitment quality. Sags bug me a lot in aftermarket fitments. Although faux leather and cheaper fitments may avoid that problem, why replace leather with something inferior.

As to oil, I have been getting service done from dealer and I think the 90K service will be done in late-2015 based on the odo. Also will full synthetic like Mobil 1 work on it. I have been so far being going with what the dealer puts (semi synthetic) but considering how Corolla is forgiving of all our faults, why not give something else a chance at this stage of ownership.

Last edited by vasudeva : 21st June 2015 at 09:31.
Old 21st June 2015, 12:12   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but any suggestions on which brand and what setup considering the existing OEM setup and my preference for good enough but not the loudest (Pioneer/JVC)

why not give something else a chance at this stage of ownership.
On second thoughts I would suggest just a front speaker upgrade - new component speakers up front - even that will do a world of good to the sound quality.

I used Boston playsmart components in the front in my old Corolla - they were driven off an amplifier as I had changed the head unit too and were too good on sound quality.

The max you will spend on the front speaker ugrade would be 7-8k including installation.

You can always add a new head unit later.

On oil I will vouch for Castrol Magnatec 10W40 API SN ; just try it once please.
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote