Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2007, 14:19   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoy_tharakan View Post
The maximum speed that engine can provide and the maximum geared speed is different I believe.
Yes it is different - each gear has a different RPM limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoy_tharakan View Post
I do agree regarding the calibration limit of the speedometer. I think we should not believe anything thats shown beyond the 150KMPH!
Speak for yourself - mine does a genuine 160+. Like I said, dont ask me how

Last edited by Steeroid : 9th August 2007 at 14:21.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 14:23   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
BUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,130
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

You guys slipstream your safari to reach 160kmph
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 15:20   #48
BHPian
 
binoy_tharakan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 54
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Speak for yourself - mine does a genuine 160+. Like I said, dont ask me how
ECU-remap, I don't dare touching that until I finish the Warranty period!

The other option left to me to beat you (for the max speed) is to drive my machine to a hilltop and drive down in 143KMPH then shift to neutral. I will get this type of geography a lot at my place!
binoy_tharakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 20:03   #49
Senior - BHPian
 
Rahulk76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PNQ
Posts: 1,133
Thanked: 204 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoy_tharakan View Post
ECU-remap, I don't dare touching that until I finish the Warranty period!

The other option left to me to beat you (for the max speed) is to drive my machine to a hilltop and drive down in 143KMPH then shift to neutral. I will get this type of geography a lot at my place!
ECU-remap ??? for Safari.. Havent heard of it as of now. (all stock)

No slip-stream either (it would be like cheating D)..See a straight wide open strech ...steadily gather pace till 140 (expressway) and then take it across to MAX
Rahulk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 13:38   #50
BHPian
 
binoy_tharakan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 54
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
ECU-remap ??? for Safari.. Havent heard of it as of now. (all stock)
Fine Rahul, All these days I was believing that we can get the ECU remap done 'even' for Safari! Is there anything limiting us doing so (other than warranty!). In worst cases we can get the band raised for rev limiter for 5th gear. I think its not as simple as I thought after reading a post from viper regarding the remaps. (Couldn't search and find the post now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
No slip-stream either (it would be like cheating D)..See a straight wide open strech ...steadily gather pace till 140 (expressway) and then take it across to MAX
If I understand you correctly- just reach the magic number 140 'steadily' then go further (yes on an expressway). But again the rev-limiter will block the fuel injection once the engine RPM reaches the limit isn't so? I may be wrong and may be there is some technics that you know but not me! Did I furnish my doubt clearly?

Last edited by binoy_tharakan : 10th August 2007 at 13:39.
binoy_tharakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 13:51   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoy_tharakan View Post
But again the rev-limiter will block the fuel injection once the engine RPM reaches the limit isn't so?
Well, it doesn't. I've briefly taken mine to what the speedo showed as in excess of 150 but a little below 160 once on a stretch between Rajpura & Zirakpur, didn't get enough road to test beyond that. Definitely need Expressway conditions & good ones at that where no vehicles on the wrong side coming towards you or bikers or cyclists or tractors - what an endless wishlist
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 15:33   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
Rahulk76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PNQ
Posts: 1,133
Thanked: 204 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoy_tharakan View Post
If I understand you correctly- just reach the magic number 140 'steadily' then go further (yes on an expressway).
A piece of advise, dont do this in your runin period.
If I were you, then Id try these stuff well past first service. Get to know the road which is appropiate for these serious speeds. More importantly you need to get familiar with the handlings dynamics of this 2+tonner. It took me 3-4 months to get used to the lenght and width dynamicsof my safari..

I always thought that ECU was coded to block serious speeds & RPM limit until 5-6k If i am wrong

Thanks

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 10th August 2007 at 15:34. Reason: Spelling Corrections
Rahulk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 16:25   #53
BHPian
 
binoy_tharakan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 54
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
A piece of advise, dont do this in your runin period.
If I were you, then Id try these stuff well past first service. Get to know the road which is appropiate for these serious speeds. More importantly you need to get familiar with the handlings dynamics of this 2+tonner. It took me 3-4 months to get used to the lenght and width dynamicsof my safari..

I always thought that ECU was coded to block serious speeds & RPM limit until 5-6k If i am wrong

Thanks
I have done 7000+ Kms in 5 months! First service is done at 5200Kms at the dealer place itself. I used to drive Tata 407 for during first job (to transport Base stations for Mobile communication-Though I was an engineer by designation at that time!) But I completely agree with you that there is nothing other than time that can make a driver better handler of any vehicle. Thanks for your suggestions and support- I love to talk to all who love the machines!
binoy_tharakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 16:28   #54
BHPian
 
binoy_tharakan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 54
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Well, it doesn't. I've briefly taken mine to what the speedo showed as in excess of 150 but a little below 160 once on a stretch between Rajpura & Zirakpur, didn't get enough road to test beyond that. Definitely need Expressway conditions & good ones at that where no vehicles on the wrong side coming towards you or bikers or cyclists or tractors - what an endless wishlist
Thanks Suman, happy that I am getting good suggestions from seniors. I think I will get good stretches on my way and can try this!

TBHP and the folks here really rocks.
binoy_tharakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 16:53   #55
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoy_tharakan View Post
I think I will get good stretches on my way and can try this!
Yes, do that but (as pointed out already), NOT TILL YOUR ENGINE IS RUN IN. For the first 1,500 kms, do not exceed 100kmph
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 17:07   #56
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Noida
Posts: 315
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Yes, do that but (as pointed out already), NOT TILL YOUR ENGINE IS RUN IN. For the first 1,500 kms, do not exceed 100kmph
suman my man!binoy's mentioned he's clocked over 7000 kays.
diagnosis:you are over-worked.
prescription:extra bacardi for you tomorrow.....cheers:
doctorkats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 17:14   #57
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
suman my man!binoy's mentioned he's clocked over 7000 kays.
diagnosis:you are over-worked.
prescription:extra bacardi for you tomorrow.....cheers:
you are dead right! I think I need to start on the Bacardi NOW
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 17:28   #58
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: thiruvananthapuram
Posts: 774
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Is there any rattling on the safari. A tata guy told me that it is the only problem with the vehicle.
swathyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2007, 00:34   #59
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

Gents

When you see the speeds 'climbing' from 140 to over 150 like you've mentioned, please check your tacho - it doesnt move...what you're talking about is possible on a gentle downward slope (not perceptible) and you will notice that the RPM is STUCK at about 2,300.

Therefore the engine is really not going faster.

I wasnt talking about this 'method'.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2007, 02:51   #60
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 227
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Gents

When you see the speeds 'climbing' from 140 to over 150 like you've mentioned, please check your tacho - it doesnt move...what you're talking about is possible on a gentle downward slope (not perceptible) and you will notice that the RPM is STUCK at about 2,300.

Therefore the engine is really not going faster.

I wasnt talking about this 'method'.
Agreed. I have heard of people claiming to have crossed 165! but have come back saying rpm needle was struck to 2300rpm.

Fact is the stock engine management system for Dicor prohibits anything over 2300rpm due to various reasons.
Desert fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Tata Safari 2.2 VTT EX 4X2 EDIT 25000kms service done harjeev Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 324 27th November 2009 09:18
Tata Safari Dicor LX 4 X 2 or Safari Dicor EX 4 x 2 Digitalmafia SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 55 1st June 2009 17:31
Tata Safari Dicor LX 4x2 arindamray Long-Term Ownership Reviews 10 9th April 2009 14:13
Tata Safari Dicor LX 4x2 (Feb2007) ownership report EDIT: 11500kms update testdrive Long-Term Ownership Reviews 105 3rd January 2008 14:43
For Sale: Tata Safari DICOR VX 4X2 speedmiester Shifting gears 10 12th October 2007 16:35


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks