Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 10th April 2007, 13:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Tata Safari 3.0 DICOR EX 4x2 - Edit: 25000kms (Pg. 5)

Finally the truck has arrived and has been driven for about 300kms.

Model: Safari Dicor 3.0 EX 4x2 CSZ series
Colour: Artic Silver
Accessories on delivery: VX Alloys, Bridgestone Tyres, DVD System, Body-Coloured Bumpers and Claddings.
Issues faced: None.

Dealership Experience

Took delivery from Shaman Auto, Prabhadevi on 6th April 2007. The experience was far from satisfactory. To begin with, the car alloted to me was sold to someone else...which really pissed me off, as this pushed the already messed up delivery date by more than a week. After giving them a piece of my mind, we were given a courtesy car - an esteem to use till we got the delivery. They also tried to back out of their promises of the accessories which were to be installed on the EX - body painted claddings, VX alloys and the DVD system. But after threatening to cancel the booking, they agreed to do all the fittings. But all this left me with a bad taste in the mouth. Although I have to tell you, the salesman did try his best to do whatever he could for us, but everybody else working in the sales process was slacking, hence the delivery was messed up.

The Truck:

Well, now we all really know what a safari looks like and its share of niggles, with so many photos and reports floating around on the forum its hardly a surprise.

On taking delivery, everything after being checked was given the clean chit. After reading through numerous reports, I was mentally prepared for issues to crop up. But to my surprise and relief none did. Drove her home, and marvelled at its imposing size, how the mumbai cabs were giving way...well thats a first for me.

The Engine seems so quite, but does have slight vibrations, but I knew of those already so no issues. Hate the 3000rpm redline, have been driving under 2000rpm, so haven't really driven it fast as such due to the running-in. It doesn't have the kick in the back feeling like the scorpio, but it's no couch potato either.

The interiors could have been a bit better. I mean the bits and pieces that are visible are of seemingly cheap materials (AC controls) while those that aren't have decent if not good quality. (stalks behind the steering).

The car has fantastic ergonomics, the driving position is just fabulous. But don't like the positioning of the headunit, its placed too low, involves taking the eyes off the road to operate it.

Seating comfort wise, there's nothing that comes close to the safari. The best seats in the business. The ride is also really great. I dont feel the BMC sponsored potholes on our so-called roads.

Well about the handling, it's no car...the steering is quite sluggish. The vague feeling of the steering is one of the reasons for its highway stability. It doesn't react to minor adjustments like the over-servoed steering of the scorpio.

After reading about the updated series of the dicor, i ordered a CSZ series, and seems to have paid off. No rattles, no squeaks, no smoke, no issues. Touchwood.

Here's a gist of likes and dislikes. Will update as I pile on the kilometres.

Dislikes:
3000 redline....thats it.

Last edited by drifter : 10th April 2007 at 13:50.
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 13:56   #2
BANNED

Hearty congratulations, drifter!
Did you not get parking sensors?
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 14:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

No hrag, didn't get the parking sensors, haven't felt the need yet....

Drifter
Old 10th April 2007, 14:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congo on the purchase drifty. Must be a big change from your beloved CRDi. So when are we meeting up?
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 14:48   #5
BHPian

drifter bhai awesome and hearty congratulations!!!!looks amazing
kudos
zucchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 14:51   #6
BHPian

Hearty congratulations on your buy. for the first 500 kms keep it at 2000-2250 revs how much ever frustrating it may feel.After that gently push the engine.

Take care of her now,she will take very good care of you in the future.Best of luck and i wish you many happy and memorable miles for you in the future.
Desert fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 14:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Happy Trucking, drifter!
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 15:01   #8
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on ur new buy, drifter.
Put up some lovely snaps, like u had put up for the CRDi.

The Safari is growing on me, thanx in no measure to this forum.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 15:07   #9
Team-BHP Support

CONGRATZ!! once more :P and great first impressions and very unbiased reporting.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 15:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys, have ordered Hankook Dynamic R03 255/65R16, they should be here in a day or two. Actually I was quite happy with the grip of the Bridgestones, but the thought of changing a flat tyre got me looking for tubeless tyres.

Any idea how are the grip levels and life of this tyre?

Drifter
Old 10th April 2007, 15:55   #11
BHPian

Hearty Congratulations Drifter.
Enjoy riding the beast
hmishra83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 21:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

*bump*

Info on the above mentioned tyres would be appreciated.

Drifter
Old 10th April 2007, 21:46   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Isnt the limiter in each gear different ??
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 21:56   #14
Team-BHP Support

Welcome to the Truck Club drifter!!
For the tyres, i replaced mine with MRF tube types, 235 s
From what i know, Michelin All Terrain are the best around in the the size you're looking at, but slightly expensive too.

manson.
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 22:03   #15
BHPian

Heartiest Congrats Drifter. Long live the SAFARI( rather JAI MATA SAFARI ). Now I shall shoot some queries for you( feeling excited as if I bought one )
  1. Accessories look great. Any reasons you chose Ex( Lx + features of Ex put separately looked cheaper to me )
  2. When the dealership messes up like this, it sometimes pays to talk to their manager/owner to sort the things out. In your case may be it was never reqd
  3. What all did you check before the delievery. Did you use the PDI given in some other thread OR is this something else?
  4. What is 3000 RPM deadline, I test drove one without any such info
  5. What are the plans for further accessories ?
All the best & Merry driving

-POGU
pogusingh is offline   Reply With Quote