Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 9th May 2013, 19:10   #121
BHPian

Default re: My Maruti Baleno LXi. So what's new, right? EDIT: 80K update on Page 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssingri View Post
Hi,
It is quite a simple procedure and you will require one size 12mm wrench a socket is preferable and one Phillips head screwdriver (PH2) it is the regular one that comes in any 2 wheeler tool kit and a bit of clean cotton waste.
Unfortunately I do not have photographs as I did it in the basement car park using a torch for light when needed and could not reach for the cell phone camera as my hands were extremely grimy.
Here is the procedure from memory:
  1. Open Air Filter Cover
  2. Loosen the circlip on the hose near the throttle body and remove hose and airfilter cover, detach rebreather hose also
  3. Remove throttle cable
  4. Remove throttle position sensor cable
  5. Loosen and remove the two 12mm nuts and 2 12 mm bolts
  6. Remove Throttle Body
  7. Detach 2 vaccum hoses attached to the underside of the IAC
  8. Loosen and remove 2 phillips screws to detach the IAC
  9. Now spray WD 40 and clean with cotton waste till the Valve rotates freely (see 1. in the first picture)
Thank you so much . Hopefully this resolves the idle fluctuation issue. Do I put the same gasket on to the TB or how does it work?
petrolhead_chn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 09:35   #122
BHPian

Default re: My Maruti Baleno LXi. So what's new, right? EDIT: 80K update on Page 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
Thank you so much . Hopefully this resolves the idle fluctuation issue. Do I put the same gasket on to the TB or how does it work?
I used the same one, replace it if you can get one. The IAC can be further dismantled but it needs some Torx bits, I tried all the Torx bits I had but it seemed to be an odd size.
Further I also changed the HT Plug leads it costs Rs 595 MGP for the two long ones the shorter one will come along with the igniter. I can't really say what made the difference but the car feels really responsive now.
Let me warn you that the oscillating idle issue will not go away and it is "as designed" the idle stabilizes at 750-800 RPM without AC and 1000 with AC and varies as the AC cuts in and out. What it does help with is that the idle does not drop below the 750 RPM and climbs to 1000 quickly. This variation would not have bothered you when the car was new, it is the vibrations during idle that make it very apparent and bothersome. The vibrations may be due to number of causes starting with reduced compression, ac compressor to bad engine mounts, I haven't been able to pin point a cause and so will be too expensive to cure by experimentation.
The other symptom of a sticky IAC is jerky acceleration and deceleration, just try this in 2nd gear and it will be quite obvious.
ssingri is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 18:08   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Default 70000km service update

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Black beauty completed 8 years yesterday, with the odometer at 67500 kms. In a few months, the car will be due for the 70K service.
The odo crossed 70000kms last week (missed taking a snap:() and got the car serviced today at Ignite, ECR. Normal scheduled service with some of the fluids getting changed. Raghav mentioned that it would be good to change the fuel-filter, but SGP is not available, so deferred that for now. He did a TD and said there is some slight thud sound coming from the right front suspension, when on rough roads. OK for now, but might need attention at the 80K service next year.

Damage was Rs4814, with breakup being :

Parts:
EngineOil - Mobil 10W-30 (3.8L) ; 1311
Oil Filter : 120
Gear oil : 963
Coolant : 240
Brake fluid (top-up) : 70
PS fluid (top-up) : 60
Consumables : 350
---------------------
Sub-Total-1 : 3113

Labour :
General Service / tuneup : 900
Waterwash : 400
---------------------
Sub-Total-2 : 1300

Tax : : 401

__________________________________________________ ______________
Total maintenance expenses for the Baleno since it was bought in Mar-2005 :

Scheduled Services :
1st Free Service at MASS @ 1020kms - Rs.604
2nd Free Service at MASS @ 4218kms - Rs.0
3rd free Service at MASS @ 9705kms - Rs.634
4th Paid Service at MASS @ 20224kms - Rs.2919
5th Paid Service at MASS @ 30767kms - Rs.2385
6th Paid Service at Elektra @ 38357kms - Rs.4337
7th Paid Service at Ignite @ 50100kms - Rs.3800
8th Paid Service at Ignite @ 60100kms - Rs.4183
9th Paid Service at Ignite @ 70331kms - Rs.4814
-------
Sub-Total-1 : Rs.23,676

Unscheduled repairs :
3 tyre punctures : Rs.160 ------> in 8+ years - Lovin' the Bridgestones
Battery charging: Rs.119 ------> twice drained due to boot-light being on.
Breakdown repair: Rs.10155 ---> RHS drive-shaft, inter. shaft, bearing etc
Brake shoes (rear-right) replacement + labour - 1550
Disc-brake pads -> 1600 ----> not fitted as existing pads were good - kept as future spare
Front-left Wheel-stud gas-cutting and replacement ; 400
K&N filter cleaning - 100
Rim-swap between alloy & steel wheel : 150
-------
Sub-Total-2 : Rs.14,234

Other part replacement expenses :
2nd Battery (replaced in 3rd year) : 3500
3rd Battery (replaced in 7th year) : 3345
-------
Sub-Total-3 : Rs.6845

Grand total : Rs.44755 That comes to Rs. 5425 per year (8.25yrs old) and Rs 0.63 per km (odo 70331kms).

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 3rd July 2013 at 18:16.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 18:28   #124
BHPian

Default Re: 70000km service update

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
The odo crossed 70000kms last week (missed taking a snap:() and got the car serviced today at Ignite, ECR. Normal scheduled service with some of the fluids getting changed.

Congratulations on your milestone Wish you more miles with the baleno.

I rate this car very very high on reliability, in my 3 years of ownership, she never let me down. I am really surprised that your clutch is healthy and running well since most of your running have been in chennai city and peak traffic?

Thud sound from the right suspension could be the loose lower arm, tightening them would hold good for around 500km and after that it comes back to the original state. You may change all the bushes as they would have worn out, but i wouldn't touch the shocks until i reach 1 lakh kilometers.

How about an FFE for the car at this point of time? Also the honeycomb in the double stage catcon's would have definitely gone bad and be limiting your performance. you may get this removed.
Mr_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 19:54   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, Mr_Bean !!! I indeed look forward to many more miles with this car.

The clutch is actually in a very good condition for the age and driving condition. Possibly because as far as possible, it is used only while shifting gears (no riding / half-clutch). It helps that the car's inherent power/torque characteristic is such that you can literally use it like an automatic, using only the Brake and A-pedal. Plus, this is a single-user car - no one other than me has used it.

FFE would be desirable (for the sound more than anything else), but shit-scared about reliability issues post the mod.

Is there a (non-invasive) way to make out whether the honeycomb is gone bad ?

Reliability is overall great. But I still cannot digest the fact that I got stranded once with a drive-shaft failure just after the car completed 5 years. In contrast, I changed the drive-shaft of our 1985 SS80 only after 15 years or so.
Old 6th July 2013, 09:30   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Also the honeycomb in the double stage catcon's would have definitely gone bad and be limiting your performance. you may get this removed.
Would that be a DIY or a mechanic's job?
I have a Baleno as well. I changed the fuel pump, fuel filter and air filter and pending fuel injector cleaning. Somehow I feel the car jerks in 1st and 2nd gears. Could this be the reason?

Last edited by petrolhead_chn : 6th July 2013 at 09:31.
Old 6th July 2013, 13:11   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
Would that be a DIY or a mechanic's job?
I have a Baleno as well. I changed the fuel pump, fuel filter and air filter and pending fuel injector cleaning. Somehow I feel the car jerks in 1st and 2nd gears. Could this be the reason?
That's a labor intensive job, Baleno has a dual stage cat con, both needs to be opened and it's honeycomb grill removed. The first catcon follows the exhaust headers and second catcon(universal) is placed at the end of the exhaust.

Jerk in 1st and 2nd gear has been reported by many owners, I never got to fix this during my ownership. It gets a bit annoying in peak traffic.

Try cleaning the air filter, there is also some valve that needs to be cleaned, don't recollect it.
Mr_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2013, 03:44   #128
BHPian

I guess that is the IACV. Let me check this week off. Thank you Mr_Bean.
Old 26th April 2014, 18:10   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Default 9 years and 75000kms done

The Baleno completed 9 years (how time flies) in end-March 2014 and the current odometer reading is 75400kms.

The 70K service was done on 3-Jul-2013 and in the 9 months till early-April 2014, the car had done only another 5000kms. Last few years, I had been averaging around 10K kms annually, but running has been low for the past 6+ months since I shifted closer to work and my 40km daily commute got halved to 20kms daily.

More than the reduction in distance, the savings in time has been immense - where it used to take ~1hour for the previous 20km run to work, it now takes only 15mins for the 10km distance and most of it is on good/free roads in 5th gear, which shows in the 13-14kmpl FE that the car has been consistently returning.

A recent snap of my Black beauty at Choolaimedu.
My Maruti Baleno LXi. So what's new, right? EDIT: 90K update-20140324_111651.jpg

BTW, couple days ago I was parking the car at Kasturba Nagar when a young lad walks over and asks if the car is for sale. When I reply in the negative, he says that he has been looking out for a Baleno (for the 'huge' mod potential) for some time without success. I suggest TBHP classifieds and a used-car showroom on the VelacheryMRTS_GST road where I had seen a Black Baleno parked recently, but apparently he has already checked those out.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 26th April 2014 at 18:13.
Old 12th May 2014, 16:11   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Some weekend TLC. And a preventive check that hopefully avoided trouble on the road.

Last weekend happened to be one of those rare ones that I got to spend at Chennai. And one of the main items on the weekend-chore agenda was giving the car some long-pending TLC.

With the recent showers, dusty roads and almost no cleaning the car was real dirty and so started off with a good wash. After couple buckets of water and burning some calories, the car looked neat. Which made me think about going the whole hog by giving the car a good polishing. Post which the car really shone and inspite of the merciless Chennai heat & the resultant sweating, I really felt proud of both my effort and the gleaming looks of my Black Beauty.

And then I popped open the bonnet to encounter a fully dust covered engine-bay. I wanted to make the engine-bay also clean, but realised that if I do that, the waxed body would attract all that dust, rendering my previous efforts waste. Note to self : Start off with cleaning the engine-bay first and then proceed to body wash.

So, I decide to clean the engine-bay couple days later. But since I had anyway opened the bonnet, I decide to atleast do the following vital checks :
1) Air-filter: The inlet part of the K&N filter is all mucky and most of which I tap/dust out. The engine will breathe much better now, but I really need to get that filter-cleaning kit.

2) Engine-oil : Dipstick indicates engine-oil to be at desired level. And a quick visual/feel check shows the oil quality to be also good.

3) Brake-fluid & PS fluid are also at the desired levels.

4) Windscreen-washer fluid reservoir was almost empty and so topped it up.

5) And finally come to the coolant. Open the radiator cap and instead of the usual green-fluid, what stares back at me is emptiness. Put my finger in and there is a very faint hint of moisture, but no liquid. Hmm. Not a good sign. Check out the coolant reservoir and it is empty.

While driving, every now and then my eyes flit over the instrument panel, checking out the fuel-gauge, temp-gauge, speed, rpm, odometer etc and during the 40km drive the previous evening, I remember clearly seeing the temp-gauge between C & H, like always. Which puzzles me, because if the coolant reservoir is empty and there is no visible fluid at the radiator opening, how did the cooling system literally keep its cool ? Maybe there was coolant in the radiator, but just not at the visible level ? No idea.

Anyway, I am now a bit concerned. More so because in another couple hours I have a 60km trip to Chennai Central & back in traffic and the last thing I need is getting stranded due to over-heating. Being a Sunday afternoon, I doubt I would find an auto-shop nearby to procure coolant. And I don't want to risk driving the car to go buy it. So get potable water and fill up the reservoir first and then the radiator takes around 500ml of water. Drive to Central later in the day was event-less and today morning when I checked, the level in radiator and reservoir was good.

Even though only 5000 odd kms have gone by since the last service, time-wise it has been 10 months. So, plan to take in the car for an early service and get the water flushed out and replaced with coolant.

While I would like to think that this preventive check helped save unnecessary trouble on the road, as the car ages, I need to make more frequent checks - atleast once in couple months or so.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 12th May 2014 at 16:13.
Old 24th March 2015, 23:47   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also, now that my car had its 2nd birthday on 25th March (yeah, on the track day) and with 15000 kms on the odometer,
Another 25th of March is rolling by as I type this. And the Baleno celebrates its 10th birthday.

Updates are (long) pending - especially the 80K km service, where the suspension had a major overhaul. Hopefully I will find the time soon to update this thread with the details.
Old 26th March 2015, 17:09   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Another 25th of March is rolling by as I type this. And the Baleno celebrates its 10th birthday.

Updates are (long) pending - especially the 80K km service, where the suspension had a major overhaul. Hopefully I will find the time soon to update this thread with the details.

Congratulations SupremeBaleno on the 10th Birthday.

On another note and if you dont mind me sharing my story on this thread, I too have a 2006 Baleno LXI in silver, which was a pre-owned one from one of our esteemed Team-BHP member. I purchased the car on August 2011 and the odo was at 56k then. I have driven it for ~~ 30000 Kms so far and like you say I simply love the way the car handles and drives, the neat lines of the car (as opposed to the innumberable lines and botoxed head lamps of new generation cars) and easy going nature of the car. I too wish to keep the car as long as I can and have no urge to upgrade or change to a new car (until situation is so).

By the way, I got the car with 15" Lenso Samurai Wheels and Yokohama S Drives, K&N Conical filter, a very simple but high quality Audio Setup with JVC HU which has been done by a very very nice professional and my wife simply loves the audio quality in my car than at home.

are you in CTS by any chance since i read in many places about such references ?

Cheers
prashant_dv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 09:26   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Default The 80K service - a major one

The car had the 70K km service done in July 2013. Usual service interval is once a year during which time I would have done around 10K kms. But with me moving closer to my workplace and doing regular car-pooling, the annual running was now down to only 4-5K kms.

Finally took the car to Ignite on 17-Dec-2014 @ 77715kms on the odometer for the 80K service. For Suzuki cars, the even-numbered (20K / 40K / 60K / ...) services are more elaborate than the odd-numbered ones, with most fluids getting changed (apart from engine-oil that is changed at every 10K service).

Reached Ignite around 9:30AM & as always, Raghav took out the car for a drive. I had been hearing a thud-thud sound from the front suspension for sometime now. But did not mention it to him, since I wanted to know if he also feels it. As expected, he mentioned that the suspension looks in bad shape. Asked him to go ahead and change what needs to be changed.

Got the car in the evening after service and an elaborate suspension work.

Service expenses :
- General Service & Tuneup : 900
- Waterwash : 500
- Engine Oil (Mobil) 3.6l : 1386
- Oil filter : 180
- Brake fluid 0.2l : 64
- Coolant 0.5l : 160
- Gearbox oil (R&R driveshaft) : 380
- Wiper blade set : 650
- Drive Shaft oil seal : 450
- Number plate bulb : 45
- Radiator flush : 690
- Consumables - Grease, Aerosols, Lubes etc : 450
------------------------------------------------
Service Total (Labour & Spares) : 5855

Suspension work expenses :
- Suspension Overhaul charges : 2500
- Front Struts : 3250 x 2 = 6500
- Strut Kit : 800 x 2 = 1600
- Lower Arm Assembly : 3885 x 2 = 7770
- Tie Rod End : 800 x 2 = 1600
- Stabilizer Link : 700 x 2 : 1400
- Support Rod Bush : 100 x 2 = 200
- Wheel alignment charges : 500
------------------------------------
Suspension work total : 22070

VAT @ 14.5% on Spares : 3411

Service tax @ 12.36% on Labour : 543.84

Total Bill : Rs.31, 880/-

It was only while typing this that I noticed that "Radiator Flush" was mentioned along with spares, while I thought it was the labour for doing a radiator flush. Maybe I am wrong - it is some stuff with which you flush the radiator. At 700 bucks that is a costly stuff to flush out the radiator.

I had asked for a Radiator flush to be done since some months ago, I had topped up the radiator with tap water. But after a flush, does the radiator take in only 0.5l of coolant ? Or is the coolant diluted with water ?

Since Raghav had now acquire the Maruti diagnostic tool, asked him to check the error code which resulted in the ECL being on for the last few years. It turned out to be due to the O2 sensor (as some of you had correctly guessed on this thread few pages ago). While I was OK with getting the sensor changed if the ECL would go off, he was not very sure about it fixing the ECL light. So left it at that - ECL still is always ON.

Brakes were another thing I wanted him to check - due to the brakes feeling spongy of late & the OE disc-pads having now done 75K kms. But he felt it was OK - so left it at that.

The thud-thud noise was gone and the suspension felt better. Though I am not sure if it felt better worth the 22k spent.

At 32K, this was one major service around the 10th year of the car.

More updates to follow - tyre change (finally) and a consolidated view of the maintenance expenses over the last 10 years (including fuel cost).
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2015, 21:47   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Tyre change - finally

The car had been running the stock 165/80/R13 tyres all along. And while I moved from steel-wheels to alloys early on, the plan to shift to wider tyres took way longer than I expected - reason being the Bridgestones retaining their tread well.

While 10 years was stretching it when it comes to tyres, in the last few years my usage had dwindled to a mere 80 odd kms weekly on good city roads. Still, on the 10th anniversary of the car, one of the to-do items on my list was a tyre-change and I was busy trawling the various Baleno tyre threads to zoom in on the correct upgrade (wanted to keep rolling circumference as close to stock as possible) and brand / model.

Procrastination meant that this got delayed and finally I ended up in a situation where I had to get them changed pronto. In mid-May, a group of friends had planned a trip to Pondy to attend a wedding. Due to the tyres and another sound coming from the driveshaft (? more on it in another post), I was not keen to take my car on the highway. But since one of the planned cars could not make it at the last moment, I had to take the Baleno.

I have done ECR multiple times, but this would stand out as the only trip where I stayed within 80kmph, as I was wary of the tyres. While going, midway at Kalpakkam, I felt something odd about the way the car was feeling and stopped to check. Found the front right tyre low on air and I could hear the sound of air escaping. Since these are tube-type tyres (no chance of air escaping slowly like with tubeless), I assumed that the issue is with the valve, but the road-side mechanic ruled it out and showed me a small cut in the tyre from where the air was leaking. Never knew that such slow-leaks happen with tube-type tyres too.

Anyway, I replace the leaking tyre with the stepney (which was the most worn out of the lot of 5 stock tyres) and we move on to Pondy. Spend the night there, attend the wedding the next day and then start back to Chennai around 10AM. I think of getting 4 new tyres in Pondy, but put it off since we need to get back to work atleast by noon. Wrong decision, in hind sight.

A little before Kalpakkam (again ) we are crossing a bridge when I hear a flap-flap sound and I know that we are in trouble. The front-left tyre has blown out. The stepney is the leaky tyre which is by now fully empty. Anyway fit it in place of the blown-out tyre and use the 12V air-compressor (glad it was there - it saved the day multiple times) to fill it up. Air is still leaking slowly, but we reckon we can find a tyre shop at Kalpakkam and change atleast 2 tyres.

But the MRF shop on the ECR was locked (out for lunch) and we could not find another shop inspite of roaming around the place a bit. Finally decide to move on. Every 30-40kms when the air comes down, we would stop, fill up air with the compressor and move on. Finally in this limp-mode reach office.

Called up RK Tyres (near CTS, Thoraipakkam), check availability of Yokohama A-Drives in 185/70/R13 and have the 4 running tyres changed. The best of the stock-tyres (practically unused since it was the stepney with steel-wheel and never got rotated) went in as the stepney.

Cost per tyre : Rs.4600 per tyre.
Total for 4 tyres : Rs.18,400

Wheel alignment being done as part of the tyre-change.
My Maruti Baleno LXi. So what's new, right? EDIT: 90K update-11.jpg

The new tyre
My Maruti Baleno LXi. So what's new, right? EDIT: 90K update-22.jpg

My Maruti Baleno LXi. So what's new, right? EDIT: 90K update-33.jpg

A stitch in time might not save nine, but it would definitely have saved us a lot of trouble, effort and time.
Old 16th June 2015, 22:43   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Complete running cost over 10 years of ownership

With the car completing 10 years in end-May 2015 and the odo almost at 80,000kms, it would be a good time to go over the total running costs incurred till date - fuel, maintenance, replacement spares etc.

In brief :
Fuel bought till date ----: Rs.3,63,669.14
Complete maintenance --:Rs. 95,035.00
--------------
Total running cost ------:Rs.4,58,704.14 (3/4th of the cost of the car)

In detail :
Total maintenance expenses for the Baleno since it was bought in Mar-2005 :
Scheduled Services :
1st Free Service at MASS @ 1020kms - Rs.604
2nd Free Service at MASS @ 4218kms - Rs.0
3rd free Service at MASS @ 9705kms - Rs.634
4th Paid Service at MASS @ 20224kms - Rs.2919
5th Paid Service at MASS @ 30767kms - Rs.2385
6th Paid Service at Elektra @ 38357kms - Rs.4337
7th Paid Service at Ignite @ 50100kms - Rs.3800
8th Paid Service at Ignite @ 60100kms - Rs.4183
9th Paid Service at Ignite @ 70331kms - Rs.4814
10th Paid Service at Ignite @ 77715kms - Rs31880
-------
Sub-Total-1 : Rs.55,556

Unscheduled repairs :
3 tyre punctures : Rs.160 ------> in 10 years - Bye-bye Bridgestones. Welcome Yokohama.
Battery charging: Rs.119 ------> twice drained due to boot-light being on.
Breakdown repair: Rs.10155 ---> RHS drive-shaft, inter. shaft, bearing etc
Brake shoes (rear-right) replacement + labour - 1550
Disc-brake pads -> 1600 ----> not fitted as existing pads were good - kept as future spare
Front-left Wheel-stud gas-cutting and replacement ; 400
K&N filter cleaning - 100
Rim-swap between alloy & steel wheel : 150
-------
Sub-Total-2 : Rs.14,234

Other part replacement expenses :
2nd Battery (replaced in 3rd year) : 3500
3rd Battery (replaced in 7th year) : 3345
4# Tyres (replaced in 10th year) : 18,400
-------
Sub-Total-3 : Rs.25,245

Grand total : Rs.95,035,
Rs.9500 per year (10yrs old)
Rs 1.18 per km (odo @ 80000kms).

Interesting to note that while maintenance expenditure remained more or less linear over the first 8 years of ownership, it almost doubled in the next 2 years.
At 8years and 70000kms, the corresponding figures were :
Grand total : Rs.44755
Rs. 5425 per year (8.25yrs old)
Rs 0.63 per km (odo 70331kms).

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 16th June 2015 at 22:45.
supremeBaleno is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote