Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 18th April 2007, 14:34   #1

Default Swift VXi with ABS

Hi Guys,

This is my first thread on Team-BHP. I really enjoy the August company of this forum. Before I start, I thank the entire set of experts on Team-BHP for their inputs. It really helped me choosing my car. Yeah, I bought a Silver Swift VXi with ABS in the first week of May from Mandovi Motors. Got a cash discount of 15,000 + 2,500 with some reasonable discount on the accessories. Bought a Sony 560 with JBL component speakers.

The sales guys were amazing in their customer service. The car was delivered within 1 week of blocking it. Since, Vxi with ABS is not all that in demand compared to the plain VXi, the stock was not available immediately. The loan processing was also very smooth at SBP.

I need not re-invent the wheel explaining all the technical details
So far, I have stuck to the delivered configuration. Still not made any modifications such as alloys.

I just finished my first service recently. Initially they told me that they would use Servo engine oil. I was not very happy since I don't feel very comfortable with Indian Oil products. (Just FYI, I first filled fuel at IOC and later in BPCL. There was a difference of close to 1.5 kms in the FE.) Finally, the service supervisor told me that they use Shell. The engine is a lot more refined after the first service.

I have some problems with the Swift. Let me know if you guys faced it.

- There is a rust on the engine casing. It is about 1 foot long and 1/2 cm wide. The car was delivered in the evening when I could not check the engine I opened the engine the next day & was quite shocked to see this. I spoke to the service guys but they told it is a "feature" and some kind of coating bla bla .. it will not cause any problem. My view is, I have paid close to 5.2 lakhs for this beauty and I expect good quality of the engine finish too! Guys, let me know if any of you faced this problem and how it was rectified?

- Of course, I am having some rattling problems in the doors and the dashboard. This has surfaced recently. I am not sure if this is due to JK tyres which have a real hard treading and the bad roads in Bangalore.

I have got contradictory info on the kind of tyres fitted in the Vxi. The RNS guys had told me that only the ZXi have tubeless whereas the rest have normal radials. The guys at Mandovi told me that it is tubeless even on the VXi. What is the truth guys?
shch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2007, 14:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shch View Post
- There is a rust on the engine casing. It is about 1 foot long and 1/2 cm wide. The car was delivered in the evening when I could not check the engine I opened the engine the next day & was quite shocked to see this. I spoke to the service guys but they told it is a "feature" and some kind of coating bla bla .. it will not cause any problem. My view is, I have paid close to 5.2 lakhs for this beauty and I expect good quality of the engine finish too! Guys, let me know if any of you faced this problem and how it was rectified?
Isn't the engine made out of Aluminium? In that case it wouldn't be rust then. Take some pics, put 'em up here. Will make it easier for people to help you.

Quote:
- Of course, I am having some rattling problems in the doors and the dashboard. This has surfaced recently. I am not sure if this is due to JK tyres which have a real hard treading and the bad roads in Bangalore.
Get used to it. In some time the dashboard will also rattle. And you will get a million different excuses. From central locking actuators, to your speakers, to improperly lubricated clips, etc. I have heard 'em all and it's only been 6 months of ownership. Most of the times their only fix is grease. If you haven't used spacers for your speakers, they will try to sell them to you too. For Rs. 850/-, when they are sold outside for Rs. 150/-

Quote:
I have got contradictory info on the kind of tyres fitted in the Vxi. The RNS guys had told me that only the ZXi have tubeless whereas the rest have normal radials. The guys at Mandovi told me that it is tubeless even on the VXi. What is the truth guys?
The VXi tyres are also tubeless.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2007, 15:21   #3

Thanks ported_head. I will try to take some snaps in the coming days and upload it here.... yeah, the rattling is quite irritating.... it used to come from one place.... now it is coming from 3 places.... surround sound

I am close to completing 1000 kms. I have maintained < 3000 RPM... usually at 2000 RPM during this period.

Planning on a long drive in the coming weeks.... do I still need to be conservative on the speeds?
Old 19th April 2007, 14:58   #4
BHPian

no. floor the pedals.
:P
babhishek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 10:55   #5
Team-BHP Support

floor the pedals but slowly and steadily increase the speeds and revs... also careful with the brakes at high speeds with the OE tyres
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 13:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Can you mention which places you are hearing the rattles from ?
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 17:19   #7

The rattling noise is heard from the left door, near the steering.... quite obvious when I am on the first gear.

I guess the mandovi guys didnt spend enough effort to check this... I am going there tomorrow...

Also, my friend noticed that some kind of "kut-kut" noise from the front wheels when I turn them. I never noticed it since I used to always drive with my windows-up. I checked it at home... some kind of noise comes when I turn the wheels... not sure if it is some kind of strut problem. have any of you guys faced this????
Old 20th April 2007, 17:22   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
floor the pedals but slowly and steadily increase the speeds and revs... also careful with the brakes at high speeds with the OE tyres
hi Jaggu.... yeah with the BLr traffic... I have only managed to stick to 2000 RPM... managed to go "fast" only sometimes on cubbon road... had a lot of fun driving on the NICE road from Mysore Road to Kanakapura Road... but that was during the run-in period when I managed with great difficulty to keep the speeds in the range to 60 to 80 :-)
Old 20th April 2007, 23:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

i hope the axel haven't packed so soon
and they don't make cars like they use to

i recently test drove a new alto 07 model and i have a first lot alto the bulid quality has fallen my 5 year old alto feels so solid after 5 year the newer one couldn't match to it you can actually feel the cheap plastic by just touching it

maybe its because of the cost cutting i bought the alto for around 3.2 onroad or maybe more don't remember now but the new one is for 2.5lac and you get discount
manikjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 23:20   #10
Team-BHP Support

dont jump into conclusions too soon, it can be also just a stone stuck on the thread making the tak tak sound when tyre turns though it will happen irrespective of turn or not. anyways show the dealer when you visit tomorrow
Old 21st April 2007, 22:31   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks ported_head. I will try to take some snaps in the coming days and upload it here.... yeah, the rattling is quite irritating.... it used to come from one place.... now it is coming from 3 places.... surround sound

I am close to completing 1000 kms. I have maintained < 3000 RPM... usually at 2000 RPM during this period.

Planning on a long drive in the coming weeks.... do I still need to be conservative on the speeds?

I think u m mean 10,000 kms right ??
nikunj_cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2007, 13:07   #12

No. i meant 1000 kms. I bought the car just a month back :-)
Old 24th April 2007, 13:10   #13

hey Jaggu, I had been to the mandovi service station @ yeshwantpur. The noise was due to the wheel caps being interchanged when the servicing was done. It is ok now. rattling to some extent was solved as ported_head had told... they adjusted some wires... gave some extra padding in the doors.... lets see how long it works... for sure they are coming due to the plastic parts... can't help it they had to reduce costs at some place and they chose the interiors
Old 24th April 2007, 13:14   #14

Hi Jaggu & abhishek.... finally I got to really TEST my swift this weekend... drove on the bannergatta-kanakapura NICE road.... reached close to 150kms... it was awesome... didn't try streching it further since I was not very sure of the brakes & the tires.... but the beauty had no problems in reaching this speed... I just loved the experience... my FE would surely have got screwed up

hey guys, my posts are still being moderated.... when do I get promoted???
Old 24th April 2007, 22:43   #15
Team-BHP Support

good, so you got to check your high speeds eh, my best was 100 + couple of kms till now :(

need to organize my weekend!!