Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 4th November 2015, 09:44   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Santro Xing - Crankshaft & engine repair/ failure-only 26000 Kms & 2 1/2years

Thank you guys for your suggestions!!

Yes. Recently I used 3M Fuel System Cleaner (I don't recall the exact name, but yes it does clean the injectors and the fuel lines). After that, I went for a small trip (~130KM).

Even after that the problem with overtaking remains. I had to struggle to overtake any vehicle.

But, the problem with jerking while AC was ON is gone now. It's been couple of days now, and the car runs real smooth even if the AC is ON (even if the car is loaded with 4 persons). Which I think is a huge improvement.

Also, in city driving conditions, the car feels more responsive than ever. I can now drive in 3rd and 4th gears even on inclines, which I never could do before. And I hope this will improve the city mileage.

Now, another problem: today morning when I started the car, I saw a strange problem. The RPM seemed to be very less. It felt as if the petrol had some water and the engine was struggling because of that. Even if I hit the pedal suddenly, the RPM would drop a little, and then increase.
I took the car out of the parking, and revved it hard for a couple of seconds. Then the problem went away.

What could be the reason? Cold weather? or Fuel Filter? (Asking this, because the fuel filter wasn't changed in recent services).

Thanks!
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 17:46   #77

Default Hyundai Santro - Asked to replace crankshaft to fix low power especially with AC

hi all,
I have been having trouble with my Santro for some time now - especially with the AC on - the car just looses its power and crawls - I usually have to turn off the AC just to get ahead and turn it back on when i am done.

I went to Advaith Hyundai on ORR/bellandur and they first asked me to change my clutch ( it had become quite hard as well). they changed the clutch while it was much smoother and pleasant to drive - the power loss with AC was still very obvious. They said that the bearing and socket where the crank shaft connects to has been worn out and hence the power delivery is not proper and not on time at all. Since it is a connected peace - they have asked me to change the crankshaft and quoted me INR 21K incl of servicing

Can someone give me some advice on the topic? would a trip to a local independent multi brand service center be better ? I went to carz recently and found them not to good. Help!
shantanu_garg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 23:44   #78
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Santro - Asked to replace crankshaft to fix low power especially with AC

I really can't say if your crankshaft is really damaged but it could definately be one of the reasons. A friend of mine had the crankshaft replaced in his santro last year. I believe he was charged 16000 for the crankshaft and 22k for the total job. He also had low power issue and one fine day his car would simply not go above 70kmph. Innitially a conked clutch was suspected but it turned out to be the crankshaft. There is no harm in showing your vehicle to an independent garage but if a worn/ damaged crankshaft is suspected I would have it changed at HASS for peace of find.
bullrun87 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2016, 11:48   #79
BHPian

Default Santro Xing: RPM doesn't build up when loaded or driving uphill

Hello friends,
I own a used Santro Xing 2005 model and it's giving me troubles from the day I started using it. The problem I'm going to state here, I couldn't find exact threads for the same, hence starting a new thread for it. Mods, if you know any existing thread, you're welcome to point me to that thread.

Until a few months back, I was getting horrible pickup/mileage from the car. Then I asked queries in Team-BHP and members advised me to add fuel injector cleaner and it gave me good improvement in the pickup.

But again recently the car has started acting up. When I want to accelerate, the RPM just won't increase. Here are the scenarios:

1. Driving with AC ON:
The car feels loaded, but I have to rev a little bit to get it moving. But if something comes in front, and I have to brake, then the car just wouldn't accelerate. Even if I floor the accelerator. e.g. I'm driving at 60KMPH in 5th gear and I slow it down to suppose 20KMPH, and I'll shift to 2nd gear. Now even if I press the accelerator, the RPM won't increase. Either I have to be patient or switch to 1st gear to accelerate.

2. Car loaded with 4 persons with very slightly inclined road:
In this case, the car wouldn't gain speed. I have to rev it hard to get to 60KMPH and then only I'll be able to use 5th gear. Even if I make it to 5th gear the speed would eventually drop below 50KMPH, and I have to downshift. Sometimes downshifting to 4th isn't much a help. RPM won't increase. There's absolutely no torque in lower gears.

3. Driving uphill:
There's a inclined/steep road just outside my society. By the time I reach that spot, my speed would be around 15-20KMPH. With this speed, the car doesn't climb. I must downshift to 1st, or it would stall. The case becomes worse if it's loaded with 3-4 persons or if the AC is ON. No matter how much I press the accelerator, the car would act as if it's ignoring the accelerator.

There's no clutch slippage. Clutch has been replaced around 5-6K KMs back.
After flooring the accelerator, engine sounds bit different. As if it's humming/ or getting just the air and not the fuel.
Also, the car gives minute jerks periodically when kept idle.

What could be wrong here?
I am suspecting:
1. Fuel filter: A local mechanic just ruled out the possibility for clogged fuel filter being culprit. But I know that this hasn't been changed from last 2-3 years (even before I purchased this car from my friend). Anyway, this month while doing regular servicing I'm going to replace this.

2. Fuel pump pressure
I'll ask the mechanic to check for fuel pressure. Suspecting this because whenever the tank is full, the car responds a little better. And becomes worse when the tank is below 1/4 level.

3. Clogged injectors
This is first impression of any mechanic. Will ask the mechanic to check injectors as well. Could be possible that adding fuel injector cleaner hasn't completely cleaned the injectors.

4. Throttle body/Throttle position sensor
Engine does not idle smooth. Also, the car doesn't respond when the pedal is fully pressed under load. So, it could be possible that the TPS went bad and the engine isn't adding more fuel when needed.

A year back, I took it to HASS for general engine tune up. But instead of doing that, they opened the crank case and told me that the crankshaft has gone bad and gave an estimate ~30K. But after asking in few threads/forums I just don't believe HASS guys. Why would they open crankcase when I asked them to just do the tuneup? Also, he failed to tell me exactly what does he mean by "crankshaft has gone bad".

So, I need your thoughts and inputs on what could be the reason behind this behavior.

Thanks in advance!
-Prasad
Old 3rd May 2016, 11:44   #80
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Santro Xing - Crankshaft & engine repair/ failure-only 26000 Kms & 2 1/2years

Hello All,
Got my car serviced at another garage near my house. This one is authorized by Premiere. While servicing, I mentioned the issue with the pickup and instantly the mechanic pointed me at the broken air filter housing. There are two hoses that connect to the housing. One is bigger, which goes to throttle body intake and another is smaller, which again goes to throttle body (I think it's connected to IAC, but not 100% sure). He suggested replacing the lower part of the housing, as the point where the smaller hose connects was broken. But he couldn't get the lower part, so he did some work around and fixed it with some tape and other materials.

Since then, there is considerable improvement in the pickup.

But during my recent trip to Mumbai, my friend took charge of driving and he complained that the car isn't accelerating as it should. He has driven cars like Alto and WagonR till now, and was expecting same sort of pickup. For my car, the trick is- tap the accelerator just a little till I feel the RPM is good enough (note that Santro doesn't have Tachometer) and then press it more. Then it gives good acceleration. But he was insisting that no matter what is the situation, the car should accelerate when he depresses the accelerator.

Same day, while driving in the afternoon, the fuel pump gave up. The car did stall on the road and again started after waiting 10 minutes. Shown it to local garages, and all of them confirmed that it's the fuel pump/motor.

Although the air filter housing repair has improved pickup considerably, is it possible that the fuel pump repair can further improve the acceleration? Or I should live with my trick of accelerating?

Note: That day, there were 5 guys in the car. So I was happy with the acceleration it was giving.

Thanks!
Old 20th July 2016, 12:51   #81
BHPian

Folks,

Need your inputs - how reliable is the Santro after crankshaft replacement?

Background:
My Santro has been diagnosed for crankshaft replacement, but since it's an expensive affair I have been running it for past 1 year with loss-of-power (~5000 km).

2016, relocated to Mumbai (from Blr) & AC is a mandatory requirement in the humid weather - for AC + decent pickup, crankshaft replacement is mandatory.

Can the car reliably run for 30K-40K KM after replacement, or it is better to sell it off. My Car currently has 55K on the odo.
anurag.somani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 11:16   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag.somani View Post
Folks,

Any car would be just as reliable can be after a crankshaft replacement, provided the job is done by a proper mechanic and 100% genuine parts are used.

Its the heart of the engine and if someone would treat it like an HID job with chinese stuff galore, then you're certainly in for trouble.

All the required components which may need replacement along with the crankshaft should be changed too. No skimping. Then you're done.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2016, 09:47   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag.somani View Post
Folks,

Background:
My Santro has been diagnosed for crankshaft replacement, but since it's an expensive affair I have been running it for past 1 year with loss-of-power (~5000 km).

2016, relocated to Mumbai (from Blr) & AC is a mandatory requirement in the humid weather - for AC + decent pickup, crankshaft replacement is mandatory.

Can the car reliably run for 30K-40K KM after replacement, or it is better to sell it off. My Car currently has 55K on the odo.
Mine is also diagnosed with crankshaft issue. But with recent service and repair of the air filter box, there is considerable improvement in the issue, but still not up to the mark. There are instances where the car intermittently starts acting up. But even I was wondering if it is really crankshaft issue? And even if it were, is it worth spending that much money? Will it give me drastic improvement after replacing the crankshaft?

As the car is drive-able for now, I've postponed the idea of this costly affair . Will go for it only when there's no other option.
Old 10th October 2016, 11:23   #84
BHPian

Default Re: Santro Xing: RPM doesn't build up when loaded or driving uphill

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
Hello friends,
A year back, I took it to HASS for general engine tune up. But instead of doing that, they opened the crank case and told me that the crankshaft has gone bad and gave an estimate ~30K. But after asking in few threads/forums I just don't believe HASS guys. Why would they open crankcase when I asked them to just do the tuneup? Also, he failed to tell me exactly what does he mean by "crankshaft has gone bad".
So what was it in the end?

I had similar problems on 2003 Xing last year. Tried everything from fuel system to clutch. HASS said camshaft/engine rebuild - basically nothing less than IDV of the car! But I wasnt convinced since the engine revved fine. Took it to a Bosch service nearby and asked him to look somewhere between engine and clutch. He came up with "sprocket play" in a couple of hours and voila! all well since.
rlakhanpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2016, 11:30   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlakhanpal View Post

Took it to a Bosch service nearby and asked him to look somewhere between engine and clutch. He came up with "sprocket play" in a couple of hours and voila! all well since.
rlakhanpal, there's no end
The car is still behaving the same, but somehow I'm not convinced that it's the crankshaft, as the car is running smooth otherwise.

Can you please elaborate about this "sprocket play"? I'm not sure if it's the same, but on carwale, one of the member told me about some timing gear mounted on the crankshaft (which drives the timing belt). He said that over time the gear wears out and hence there's timing mismatch and hence the perf drop. Is it the same gear/sprocket that you're talking about? Or something else?

How much it did cost you?

Any help appreciated!
Thanks!

Last edited by pkulkarni.2106 : 10th October 2016 at 11:34.