Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 28th January 2010, 15:19   #31
BHPian

Default Need your guidance

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi,
I decided to finally update this thread after a while.Its more than 2 years later i wrote this review and i have managed to clock well 30,380 kms ie is around 4880 kms in around 2.3 years time.Man that is pretty conservative driving for a BHPian i know.Trust me i love my car even though i drive it very sparingly.I will just explain how!

2 years since i wrote this review and my list of mods to the car have increased.
Here goes
1)MOMO style steering wheel.

2)Neo Alloy wheels.Always wanted alloys dreamt of having them and finally after more than a decade had them on a car.(Hey, they cost 10 grand hence never had them all this while)

3)Auto guage tachometer.Another item i always wanted in my car.Used to enevy other cars who had the same as standard equipment.

4)Racing stripes.I guess i had my boy racer days. :-)

5)Fog lamps at the front.(Now no longer working though)

6)Finally had the stock replacment k&N changed to a conical one with piping made by Automech.The last mod i had done this year in Feb.

All these mods did cost a bit and for the amount of kms i have driven the car for sometimes does not justify the cost.But i guess it is one the things where heart rules over the head.

Over the last years i can say i have had around 3 breakdowns, 1 was due to loosening of the fuel filter which caused a petrol leak and had a couple of punctures,I must also add i replaced my old Zigma's with a new pair.My last original Zigma which is as old as the car is now lying as a spare wheel.It's in pretty decent shape for a 12'year tyre.

I also had the timing belt changed around a couple of months back, cost me around 1000 bucks inlcuding cost of belt and labour.
The car is serviced at a petrol station with regular engine oil.I guess no synthetic for me as it does not justify the cost.Tune up is done
at a local garage and cost around 400-500 bucks per visit.The car returns decent mileage around 15kms in mixed driving.

I must mention my A/c leaked away soon after i got the Automech exhaust fitted.I have been driving without A/c for aorund a couple of years now.Frankly i only feel the need of one when i am stuck in a bumper to bumper with larger vehicles around me.I just use the fan vents to keep my cool.

The car is due for a schedule visit to the service center later this year(planned Nov) and also for a carb overhaul this dec.My last visit to my local garage brought to my notice that the secondary butterfly was jammed and will need a overhaul of the carb.I must say i have noticed a lag in perfomance of the car and it does have difficluty travelling upwards on a incline.But i guess overall i stick to slower speeds as i am more ineterested in FE figures than performance ones so that is ok.

Overall i can say that the car has been a bit expensive to maintain and run with some niggling problems (eg horn went bust,Fuel guage busted etc) and also due to my paranoid preventive maintenance (clucth cable replaced,replaced timing belt etc).But i guess all the money spent is worth it and i enjoy every moment i spend with the car.
Like you for almost 10 years I have owned a white n/m Maruti 800 Std (MPFI) . It is my only car. Owing to the loving care given to it by me it has not seen the inside of any garage for major repairs. The paint work is in excellent condition. The car is used for 20-30 km a week in small towns. Odometer reading is 24000 km . Very few groans and rattles from the body. I am an extremely satisfied owner.

And I plan to utilise the car for three more years before I dispose of it.

Now my problem. Since I have driven the car frugally it has not failed me till now. But time is taking it's toll and I am afraid that in near future I will begin to face problems. And since my knowledge of working of cars is limited to what I have tried to learn from various threads and posts on Team-bhp in the past two months I will not recognise them even when they stare me in my face.

Now my request.

What major problems may occur now?

What are the symptoms of these problems?

What are the solutions to these problems?
Old 1st March 2010, 00:21   #32
Senior - BHPian

Update to the thread.

The car has now done 31918 kms.Have decided to start using the car more often as i have noticed i spend too much on the car without using it as much.Last month spent 8k on a front suspension o/h.Replaced both front struts,lower arms etc.More details below link.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1707322 (Maruti 800 Suspension Overhaul Cost)

Also have started noticing the increase in mileage from 12-13 to 15 kmpl after the carb o/h.It was my 1st full tank after the o/h that saw the 15 figure.Hoping to do better next time.Have set my tachometer's shift light to max 2900 rpm to help shift in upper gears quicker.
Old 1st August 2010, 16:49   #33
Senior - BHPian

Default 13 years and 33071 kms

The car turned 13 on july 2.Got the long pending a/c repaired after a whopping 3 year gap.Yup was driving around without a/c all since 2007 till this year's summer which was pretty hot as i am sure you remember got the better of me.

Reasons to drive w/ a/c all this while, well actually i had fixed the a/c which was not working way back in 2007 at some garage for 2000 bucks and it conked out on me within 2 months.Anyways at about that time i had got the car FFE'd from automech so to listen to the music decided not to get it fixed,anyway i just ididn't trust my regular garage anymore.

It's funny how sometimes changing the garage can do wonders to your car.When i used to get the car tuned from my old garage i used to get 8-9 kmpl.But once i swithced due to a different garage the mileage went up to 15 kmpl.

As of now the car is having some issue with starter motor and may be due for service maybe this or next month.The starter gets stuck on the 1st crank in the morning.Also the passenger side bonnet brackets have seem to haven given away and most probably need a welding job as i am having trouble opening the bonnet.Apart from these issues the car still runs like a dream.
Old 2nd August 2010, 01:24   #34
BHPian

@sumeethaldankar
As I am reading every post in this thread, I feel like telling you to take your car to an authorized Maruti Service Center Only and not any local garage or other mechanics.

It seems you have spent a lot of money for a car which has driven hardly 34k on the Odo, I have an MPI M800 2001 and i have done 42k and I haven't faced any such problems as you had. I strongly recommend you to check T-Bhp for authorized Service stations near your area with Good Ratings and feedback from fellow BHPians.

Good luck
Old 5th August 2010, 19:48   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruben View Post
@sumeethaldankar
As I am reading every post in this thread, I feel like telling you to take your car to an authorized Maruti Service Center Only and not any local garage or other mechanics.

It seems you have spent a lot of money for a car which has driven hardly 34k on the Odo, I have an MPI M800 2001 and i have done 42k and I haven't faced any such problems as you had. I strongly recommend you to check T-Bhp for authorized Service stations near your area with Good Ratings and feedback from fellow BHPians.

Good luck
John,
I agree i have spent quite a lot on the car driven just 33k on the odo,thats the part which makes feel bad about it,however what must be kept in mind is those expenses occurred over a period of 13 years.Even if not used time would certainly erode the parts of a car.I guess for it's age the expenses are justfied more or less.

As for MASS,i had a couple of bad experiences where my car broke down ,yup broke down,after getting serviced from 2 MASS dealers(SAI service,Kalpana Auto) on two separte occassions hence i had to look else where.

thanks
Old 7th November 2010, 20:31   #36
Senior - BHPian

Default Seat Regulator.

Thought i might post this as i was not able to find anything about the same when i was searching for it on the web.My front passenger seat fell down when one of my friends (who is slighlty on the heavier side) sat in it.

I took it to a garage where the guys said that it could only be fixed by either welding the same or getting a new "seat regulator".I chose the second option got a LHS seat regulator from Prakash auto for 350 bucks and took it to the garage guy.

The entire seat had to be removed to fit the regulator.Total labor for same was 50 bucks.Once fitted the seat felt nice and firm and as good as new.It did give a scare as i wondered if the drivers side had broken and fallen drive whilst driving the car.
Attached Images

Old 6th March 2011, 20:56   #37
Senior - BHPian

Default re: '97 Maruti 800 EDIT : Now Sold!

Update at 35280 kms.

The seat regulator fixed earlier gave way again.It seems the job was not done properly or the spare used was not up to the mark.Neverthless took the car to Nakita motors Bandra (team-bhp directory) to get the job done.Seat seems ok now.

Also changed the alternator to a brand new one costing 3200 and labor 450 bucks for fitting.This is my 3rd alternator in 14 years (including the oem).Battery was dying and had taken it to a battery dealer Himalaya Batteries at Andheri east thinking it was a battery issue (Exide).He said the alternator was not charging properly with a/c and head lights and hence i was experiencing a battery failure.

So took the car to my local garage(would have taken to Nakita,but since it was far and the battery was on the verge of dying decided against so).He examined the alternator and found with a/c and headlights on the charging current or so measured to only 11 which is not enough. He decided it was not worth reparining as the parts and labor would cost around 2500 and new one was for 3200 bucks. So got a Denso one which i hope and pray is a OE.

Anyways the horn sounds crisp and loud and the headlights appear bright with the new alt.I would also like to mention that the battery was almost discharged and was kept charging in the shop while the work on alternator was going on.It was only charged for a around 2.5 hours and the car did seem to have trouble starting last night.However as per the mechanic's instructions i took it for a spin in the morning with no a/c or sound system for a good 30 kms and upon arriving found the battery to have decent juice to crank the engine.Will keep the same under "observation" for the week.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 6th March 2011 at 20:58.
Old 2nd April 2011, 20:42   #38
Senior - BHPian

Default Sleeper Mode activated...

Update to the thread

Removed the muffler & tail pipe as cops had pulled me over for having a loud exhaust.I was not driving at high rpm's but the tail pipe gave away the story.

Got a new muffler from Automech and it's pertty much stock.Automech's promised the sound will get loud when the muffler gets old but i am not hearing much sound even at high rpms.

Pretty much dissapointed with the way the car sounds but then had already decided to go stock while still retaining the performance (headers are intact).Hoping the sound gets louder after 100-300 kms

Also earlier had got the secondary butterfly replaced from Nakita motors and the car's pick up has improved.

The odo stands at 35594 kms

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 2nd April 2011 at 20:44.
Old 24th June 2011, 13:58   #39
Senior - BHPian

I just bought a '97 800 with 73.5k kms on it and have a few questions. I'm posting in this thread as there were many that turned up in the search and this one matched the most .

1. Can I use fully synthetic oil? How many liters does it require?

2. Can I use the clear lens headlights from the last generation of 800's on this one as I would like to go with HID's?

3. What is the fuel tank capacity of this model?

I had a few more queries but I can't remember them at the time of writing this . Will post those as I remember. Thanks guys.
Old 25th August 2011, 23:37   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
I just bought a '97 800 with 73.5k kms on it and have a few questions. I'm posting in this thread as there were many that turned up in the search and this one matched the most .

1. Can I use fully synthetic oil? How many liters does it require?

2. Can I use the clear lens headlights from the last generation of 800's on this one as I would like to go with HID's?

3. What is the fuel tank capacity of this model?

I had a few more queries but I can't remember them at the time of writing this . Will post those as I remember. Thanks guys.
Sorry for the very late reply, was not follwing this thread for some time.

1)It might be too late to get a Synthetic oil change.My 14 year oldie does just fine with regular mineral oil, avoid MGO oil as it just good enough for 6 months.
2)The new headlights have a new shape so no idea if they can fit on the 97 model
3)Capacity is 38 litres.

Enjpy the ride.
Old 14th April 2012, 20:50   #41
Senior - BHPian

Updating this thread after a long time.It's been a while and the usage of the car has gone down ever since the Civic has come into my life.The odo now stands at ~37550.The cars now 15 years old (may 97) and i have started preparations for getting the car passed from RTO ie (fitness certificate)

I had gone to Nakita motors today at Bandra to get my wiper problem solved. (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-due-rust.html (Maruti 800 Wiper mounts collapsed (due to rust))). Joe ,the garage guy, said that he will have to open the dashboard and pop open the windshield to do the work and that there is a good chance that the windshield will crack while trying to get it out to fix the wiper joints so decided not to go ahead with the same for now.I have decided to consult with a RTO agent etc and see if the wipers needed to fixed in for the RTO passing.As of now only the passenger wiper is working properly and the driver side wiper does not exist.

The car also was giving a lot of problem while driving and the engine was stalling every time i slowed down or braked.The idle jet needed to be cleaned.So asked Joe to to do a proper tune up and also got the long standing problem of the fuel gauge not working fixed.The float was replaced and since the tank was needed to be open it was also cleaned.Joe mentioned the tank was very dirty.It was last cleaned several years ago and i guess it was due.Total damage 1550 bucks for tuneup ,cleaning tank and fixing the float.

Will be giving the car for a fitness certifcate test soon and am hoping she clears it.
Old 14th April 2012, 22:22   #42
BHPian

@sumeeth

hey can you please tell me as to what exact component from the esteem alternator was used to increase the charging rate?

cause my 800 has 100/90 + sub +4chl amp and compos and in the night with AC also the system and headlight and if the car is on idling then the charging is mere 12.1v which is not good for battery health.

So wanted to increase the charging rate without going for an uprated alternator which costs a bomb.

Oh and My 800 2005 Mpfi done 50k and counting, just recently developed a nice amout of leaks in the mid-silencer back silencer and the exhaust manifold.
SO just got a complete set of FFE from automech.

Only problem is i shouldn had gone for an expansion chamber cause its hurting my mileage but Performance gain is superb.
Up-slopes or poking the nose in chaotic traffic is sooo much fun now.
Old 14th April 2012, 22:39   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@sumeeth

hey can you please tell me as to what exact component from the esteem alternator was used to increase the charging rate?
Jatin,I am sorry but i really don't know what exact parts were used but the alternator was bit bigger in size and had a larger pulley.The regular sized alternator belt wouldn't fit on it and the guy who did the build had to get a larger belt.Anyways i have replaced that alternator with a newer OE type last year. The rebuilt alternator lasted me 5-6 years and even the Ac delco battery lasted me for around 4-5 years along.

Quote:

cause my 800 has 100/90 + sub +4chl amp and compos and in the night with AC also the system and headlight and if the car is on idling then the charging is mere 12.1v which is not good for battery health.
Are you still running on the original alternator ? 12.1 v does seem inadequate especially with a/c etc running.

Quote:

SO just got a complete set of FFE from automech.

Only problem is i shouldn had gone for an expansion chamber cause its hurting my mileage but Performance gain is superb.
Up-slopes or poking the nose in chaotic traffic is sooo much fun now.
That's great news.I am sure you are enjoying the sweet sound of the Automech.One word of caution though, cops caught me for having a after market exhaust tail whch they thought is the muffler.I was fined for same even though my car was not loud.Have you also opted for the stainless steel tail fitting. BTW how much did the Automech cost you ?
Old 15th April 2012, 09:40   #44
BHPian

Yes am running on stock alternator, changed the rectifier plate recenetly as there was an intermittent charging problem total cost 1500.

For the FFE i wanted to go for aluminium tip as it looks super nice but then automech suggested me not go for it as its a cop magnet so have a normal stock looking tip.

Sound wise the exhaust is veryyy silent, i dont prefer loud exhaust specially in 800 as anyways loads of engine vibration noise n so on gets filtred in the car even when windows are closed compared to my other cars Lancer and civic (civic is like a air tight cocoon super silent)

the total ffe costed me 7k

For the alternator thing my garage person told me that in the night when stuck in bumper to bumper traffic to switch off the headlights and then there's no issue cause if any one of the three loads is off then charging voltage rises to 12.6-12.7 which is decent.
and ones the car starts moving that is not idling i can switch on the headlight no problems at all.

And YES your denso alternator is OEM my 800 also uses the same.
Old 15th April 2012, 09:53   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes am running on stock alternator, changed the rectifier plate recenetly as there was an intermittent charging problem total cost 1500....For the alternator thing my garage person told me that in the night when stuck in bumper to bumper traffic to switch off the headlights..
These are the very signs i had when my rebuilt alternator was on it's way out.Bumper to bumper driving conditions would make the battery weak.Even if you switch off the headlights you might still be using the a/c which is a bigger drain on the battery than headlights etc.I guess you could have put 2k more and got a newer alternator instead of fixing it up.

After getting a new alt for my 800 my battery woes went away.I dont have to bother about switching off my a/c ,lights etc at idling conditions.My battery (Exide) has to be charged twice during it's 1st year due to the alternator.No such issues,touch wood, now.

Quote:
For the FFE i wanted to go for aluminium tip as it looks super nice ..

Sound wise the exhaust is veryyy silent, i dont prefer loud exhaust..

Glad you didn't go for the tip as it's just not worth the money.I made the mistake of taking off the original Automech muffler while removing the tip as well and put in a stock sounding one.Boy did the car got so boring to drive.This is also one of the reasons why i drifted a bit from my 800 and bought the Civic.
Closed Thread