Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 15th May 2007, 22:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

Smile '97 Maruti 800 EDIT : Now Sold!

Hi
guys,its been 10 years since my dad got us a Maruti 800.Its a 97 model White color
carb engine,probably one of the last batches of the cars before the front and the rear
was changed to the new look version.Heck the model changed just 2-3 months later we
purchased the car.I was a little ticked off becoz the new model had a better suspension
set up (gas filled shockers) than the existing one (cart leaf springs).But i got over
it as in the looks department i prefered the older shape ;-)
Jugding from the title u can make out the car's not been driven that much.I mean just
around 25500 KMS in 10 years just averages to around 2500 KMs a year.Thats not much
given the 800's such a frugal car.That's probably coz the cars mostly been used on
Mumbai-Goa highway NH-17.we would take it very often to our native place Vengurla (540
KMs).The highways fun with winding roads,Ghats,arrow staright rows and all.The 800
becoz proabably becoz of its small size would feel unstable at speeds above 90.Yet we
would manage to cover the 540 KMS in around 10 HRS including the breaks.Departure time
from mumbai will be at 10:00 PM at night and we arrive the next day at 8:00 Am at our
village.
The brakes do feel in-adeqaute on really twisting & winding roads but they do get the
job done.Infact we got the car shodded with MRZ Zigma tyres just so that we could use
it on the highways.The car retunrs around 18-19 KMPL on the highway,sometimes even
would return 20 KMPL if the quality of fuel was good.
I guess most of the running in period for the car was done on the highway.I must tell u
i have really thrown the car around,have pounded it on speed breakers which would
suddenly creep up from nowhere at speeds at 80 KMPH.I have dented 3 rims and messed up
2 of the tyres on highway runs.
Modifications done till date to the car as follows.
1-JVC MP3 player matched with Pioneer speakers.
2-Custom built alternator with spare parts from the Maruti Esteem to get better
charging
3-MRZ Zigma Radials
4-Free Flow Exhaust System from Automech
5-K&N Air filter SRF
6-Sport Pedal Kits (Dragon Style)
7-Gear Lock/Steering lock .Had a Autocop alarm but it conked off in just 3 months.Got
mad and disconnected the earthing after the alarm started to go off for no reason at
night and also caused the battery's to drain.Heck the stupid alarm system cost me 2
batteries,hence got the custom alternator built.Never had a battery problem since.
Future changes planned to the car.
Black Vinyl Racing stripes running accross the entire car body ;-)

Problems encountered with the car
1-A/C needs to be repaired since last three years.Really a drain on the wallet.
2-Had total brake failure thankfully in my building compound as the oil leaked through
the Brake girlings.Ever since i get the brakes overhauled every 2-3 years.
3-Battery pains due to the alarm system.
4-Steering vibration problesm due to fitting of wheel caps.The problem stopped after
the wheel caps in the front fell off.
5-Had a massive carbon build up in the engine which caused the engine to jerk funnily
which driving in lower gears.Had the engine oiled changed twice and the car
decarbonized from Maruti authorised stations.

Well 10 years is a long time.Now that i have job and everything my dad would insist
that get i new car instead of spending money on fxing some of the small problems that
do creep up somtime.But i guess it don't feel like parting with it.Just Love that
thing.Guess its my darling.Used to take it to college with me :-).I guess i am gonna
still hang around it for a while.
Old 16th May 2007, 12:24   #2
BHPian

Hey nice review. Reminds me of my first 800 when I was in college in Manipal. Those were the days!
You changed the oil only twice in 10 years? really??

Last edited by ajitkommini : 16th May 2007 at 12:25.
Old 16th May 2007, 12:32   #3
BHPian

nice and loving .. :-)
Old 16th May 2007, 13:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice report.
I have too have a carb 800, though its Dec '96 make. I learned my driving on it. Still love it, but has started giving too much trouble off late. No use selling it off, since it would fetch around 30-40k (i guess). Still reliable enough for a trip to nearest grocery store though. BTW, it has done 1,10,000 kms.
25,500 kms in 10 years is just

Last edited by DCEite : 16th May 2007 at 13:09.
Old 16th May 2007, 15:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi ,i changed the Oil twice within 3 months to flush out the carbon after the car started giving problems.:-)
Old 16th May 2007, 16:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice review. But I am wondering why those problems crept up, knowing that your car has been driven sparingly.
Old 16th May 2007, 16:07   #7
BHPian

gr8 man.... i have sold my carb non AC 800 '97 model in Feb 07 for 55k

it was 1,65000 kms done at that time still was in very gud condition.. it gave me abt 20kmpl...
Old 16th May 2007, 21:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hi,typeonegative , i guess the carbon build up problem was probably due to the fact that i drove the car less and hence serviced it just once a year.(Read oil change).Also while traveling to Goa i would notice that the quality of fuel on the highway pumps would not be something considered as pure. For the A/C ,i personally feel that any a/c unit in a car is pretty fragile and probably needs to be maintained a lot.;-)
Old 5th August 2007, 00:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

even i love the maruthi 800 of the 90, mean the shape mate. nice write up, we have one at home 94 model done 110000kms done so far, the engine is screwed and the car might just break down if driven at 60kmph continuously for 10mins we have the engine over heatup problem now.

my dad doesnt want to sell for some reason i donot know, but lately i think i have convinced him to sell it!

we spent like 1lac on its exteriors and the suspensions steering setup and so on and so forth (even the clutch plate is changed,except the engine), and suprisingly enough a guy quoted 80 grand for it looked brand new from outside, and dad still refused to sell it.
man i want dad to drive the current viva we have and sell the maruthi before he spends few more grands on it!

any way mate enjoy the ride and try preserving it for like 10 more years and i think you will and a vintage car by then!
Old 16th August 2007, 18:13   #10
BHPian

I have an even older one, a 1984 December model (Suzuki Engine) and it's still going strong ! Of late, the clutch has started slipping and needs attention but till date, it has run around 1,52,000kms and the engine has been untouched ! Mileage is around 16kmpl in city and around 20kmpl on the highways with AC off.
Old 17th August 2007, 11:40   #11
BANNED

Nice Review ! Even I had Maruti 800 white colored (second hand), I used that for 2 yrs, though car has give me lot of trouble (very unreliable), Still I used to love that car as it was my first car which I bought myself. Literally cried when I sold that.

Anyways keep loving your Car, she will love you

Regards,
Jitendra
Old 17th August 2007, 11:49   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
I have an even older one, a 1984 December model (Suzuki Engine) and it's still going strong ! Of late, the clutch has started slipping and needs attention but till date, it has run around 1,52,000kms and the engine has been untouched ! Mileage is around 16kmpl in city and around 20kmpl on the highways with AC off.
Are spares still available for this model??
Old 20th August 2007, 11:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
Not had any major breakdowns thus far (touch wood !) so have not experienced not availability of spares. Routine spares are available but sometimes have to make do with MGP instead of the original SGP which I guess is now more or less obsolete
Old 3rd September 2009, 20:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

Default Now Done 30,380 KMS

Hi,
I decided to finally update this thread after a while.Its more than 2 years later i wrote this review and i have managed to clock well 30,380 kms ie is around 4880 kms in around 2.3 years time.Man that is pretty conservative driving for a BHPian i know.Trust me i love my car even though i drive it very sparingly.I will just explain how!

2 years since i wrote this review and my list of mods to the car have increased.
Here goes
1)MOMO style steering wheel.

2)Neo Alloy wheels.Always wanted alloys dreamt of having them and finally after more than a decade had them on a car.(Hey, they cost 10 grand hence never had them all this while)

3)Auto guage tachometer.Another item i always wanted in my car.Used to enevy other cars who had the same as standard equipment.

4)Racing stripes.I guess i had my boy racer days. :-)

5)Fog lamps at the front.(Now no longer working though)

6)Finally had the stock replacment k&N changed to a conical one with piping made by Automech.The last mod i had done this year in Feb.

All these mods did cost a bit and for the amount of kms i have driven the car for sometimes does not justify the cost.But i guess it is one the things where heart rules over the head.

Over the last years i can say i have had around 3 breakdowns, 1 was due to loosening of the fuel filter which caused a petrol leak and had a couple of punctures,I must also add i replaced my old Zigma's with a new pair.My last original Zigma which is as old as the car is now lying as a spare wheel.It's in pretty decent shape for a 12'year tyre.

I also had the timing belt changed around a couple of months back, cost me around 1000 bucks inlcuding cost of belt and labour.
The car is serviced at a petrol station with regular engine oil.I guess no synthetic for me as it does not justify the cost.Tune up is done
at a local garage and cost around 400-500 bucks per visit.The car returns decent mileage around 15kms in mixed driving.

I must mention my A/c leaked away soon after i got the Automech exhaust fitted.I have been driving without A/c for aorund a couple of years now.Frankly i only feel the need of one when i am stuck in a bumper to bumper with larger vehicles around me.I just use the fan vents to keep my cool.

The car is due for a schedule visit to the service center later this year(planned Nov) and also for a carb overhaul this dec.My last visit to my local garage brought to my notice that the secondary butterfly was jammed and will need a overhaul of the carb.I must say i have noticed a lag in perfomance of the car and it does have difficluty travelling upwards on a incline.But i guess overall i stick to slower speeds as i am more ineterested in FE figures than performance ones so that is ok.

Overall i can say that the car has been a bit expensive to maintain and run with some niggling problems (eg horn went bust,Fuel guage busted etc) and also due to my paranoid preventive maintenance (clucth cable replaced,replaced timing belt etc).But i guess all the money spent is worth it and i enjoy every moment i spend with the car.
Old 5th September 2009, 01:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

Very nice review please upload some pics of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post

Spares for this car are available but you need to look for them a bit.
Closed Thread