Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 16th May 2007, 18:09   #1

Post Fiat Palio 1.2 NV 2K KM Report

I recently completed 2K KM on my Palio and thought I'll share the experience and my love for the car.
1) Booking and Delivery
I booked the car with Pandit Auto around end Dec 2006. I was promised delivery by 15th Jan. I called the showroom on 14th but was told there have been delays and now I will get the car on 18. Thus started a nightmare. Every 5 days the delivery was extended by another 5 days. I cajoled, threatened, begged and generally tried every tactic but the Tata-Fiat people refused to budge.
These unforseen delays were due to the fact that Fiat was shifting its factory from Mumbai to Ranjangaon near Pune. But this was a known fact at the time of booking. They could have given me a later delivery date in the first place. However I suspect all their planning got awry.
Anyway I had to leave India for a month by mid feb. I was very disappointed with Fiat and Tata for these delays.
Finally by Feb end a friend took the delivery of the car for me. Man! I don't know how I kept myself for a further 10-15 days from jumping into the next flight and coming back to India! I was really really eager to get back and meet the new Italian lady in my life.
2) Initial Fittings
When I first saw it, the car had been lying in an open parking for 10+ days and therefore was covered in a 1inch layer of dust. It was so dirty that I couldn't see the road when inside, there was no ICE, no seat covers, and the wipers were not working either.
2 Days 30000 bucks and several buckets of water later this ugly duckling was a graceful swan. It had:

1) JBL Speakers, 5.25 comps in front door panels, 6X9 rear in parcel tray.
2) Kenwood Audio System with USB drive
3) Kenwood Steering Mounted Remote System for the audio.
4) Seat covers
5) Sun proof film on the windows
6) Floor Mats
7) Body Cover
8) DuPont paint protective polishing

Problems:
1) WHen you fill up at a gas station when almost empty, the needle doesn't go up automatically. It goes up when you turn off and turn on the car.
2) The car seems to be lifted too high from the rear tyres. As if somebody has lifted it from the rear. But this gives it a more aggressive look and I like it.

3) Running Before 1st Servicing.

- 1 Trip Pune Mulshi Dam
- 1 Trip Pune-Paud-Mulshi-Paud-Pavna Dam-Lonavala-Pune
- 1 Trip Pune-Mulshi-Tamhini-Shrivardhan and back
I had completed 1400+ KM in less than a month I got before I had to go back out of the country.
The car was sluggish in the city with AC full on, but very stable on the highway and with excellent ride quality. I believe nothing matches the smoothness of the ride in this segment.
Pros:
- Looks! Its a stunner.
- Feels sure and sturdy like a rock.
- Ride Quality.
- Low cabin noise
- Biggest boot ( I think) in the segment.
- Very Adequate space, Seats 5 well.
- Instant cooling AC.
- I love the shape of the twin headlights.
- Also the meaty sporty steering wheel.
- Take it anywhere. I've used it almost like a SUV.

Cons:
- Mileage Very different form my old M800. ( Expected but still hurts).
- Low Ceiling (I'm 6 feet and a Sardar so add 1-2 inches more)

All in all this car is sheer comfort and pleasure. However when going uphill with AC on you do wish for a couple of hundred more CC's under the bonnet.
But on straight highway stretches this car comes into its element. Its superb in handling rough was well as smooth roads with minimum of bumps,jarring, noise and shaking.
In all this time I kept the car below 80 KMPM (mostly) and 2500 RMP on any gear as running in period although Tata-Fiat didn't recommend anything of the sort.

4) After first servicing.

- 1 Trip Pune-Mahabaleshwar
- 1 Trip Pune - Mulshi Dam

At 1500 KM the car came back from its first service. Sadly I had to go out of the country the same day for a month. So I missed my car thoroughly and drowned myself in work for the next month. When I came back the car I found was very different from the one I left behind! THIS CAR IS A BOMB!
Its pickup improved considerably and even with AC on you don't feel any sluggishness. The service station must'ave tuned and tweaked the engine. The average is the same( I think 11-13 in city- bumper to bumper though didn't scientifically measure it) but the pickup's significantly better. It no longer feels out of breath and as I can rev up the engine more now it really feels like a beast under the bonnet. OK I agree, this is not a performance engine and I'm not that exposed to performance engines myself, but still it feels really good!

So this is my report.
Verdict: Does the average hurt? Yes
Is this car worth it: Any Day! This car's got it! Love it to bits!

Note from mod: Do not use more than two smileys per post. Make sure you go through the announcements section before posting

Last edited by tsk1979 : 23rd May 2007 at 21:19.
jagspabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2007, 11:12   #2

Two questions to the forum:-

1)Should I go for replacing the stock filter with K&Ns and how much of a performance improvements can I expect on my Palio.
2) Will this Void the manufacturer Warranty?
Old 23rd May 2007, 18:57   #3
BHPian

ya you can go for a stock replacement K&N without voiding the warranty. You can always put the OEM one back when you give the car for servicing and ask them not to change it. Dont expect drastic performance improvement with the stock replacement one. I have a conical one installed in my palio and performance increase is unnoticable but the car sounds awesome.....It growls...
rishibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2007, 19:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi Jags, Good to know that you are enjoying your Palio to the full!
All Palio owners have the same nice story to share!

Reg K&N Stock filter: I would suggest you to wait for the 1 year Warranty period and then install.
I have one on my Palio 1.2, and there is a marginal increase in Power and Acceleration!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2007, 21:02   #5
Team-BHP Support

Nice review Jags. Where do you get it serviced from? Join us folks in Pune for an occassional meet?
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2007, 12:16   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Nice review Jags. Where do you get it serviced from? Join us folks in Pune for an occassional meet?
Thanks Moral!
I got the first service from Pandit Auto. Do you (or other Palio owners)have any suggestions from your experience about servicing stations in Pune? I was satisfied with the job they did, but its mostly checks that are done on 1st servicing I guess.
I'll be delighted to meet y'all? Just drop me a word whenever we have the next meet.

Finney/Rishi,
When/If I decide to go for K&Ns where can I get them (and get them fitted well, I hear that's just as important)? Can you suggest a place?

And guys I was drove my old ('87) M800 to work today. Man what a contrast and what an experience! It felt like a tin-box held together by cello tape. And to think that is the car I grew up loving and its the car I learnt driving in! I almost felt sad and sorry for it. :-(
Old 25th May 2007, 04:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Reg K&N Stock filter: there is a marginal increase in Power and Acceleration!
Are you planning on Headers and FF also??

Godfather
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2007, 01:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagspabla View Post
When/If I decide to go for K&Ns where can I get them (and get them fitted well, I hear that's just as important)? Can you suggest a place?
Jags, to buy a K&N Filter, contact the Distributor in Mumbai, details below:
FOUR SEASONS AUTOMOBILES, Mumbai, 022-24940444/56633993/4

If you are going just for an K&N Stock filter, you can yourself replace the stock Air filter with K&N Stock filter. (Just follow the instructions in Palio User Manual to replace Air filter.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Are you planning on Headers and FF also??
No GF, I am prefer to keep my Car in stock condition.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2007, 15:56   #9
BHPian

nice review there Jags,

things you can definetly go far
1. K&N stock replacement filter, improves the drive ability of car with AC( u will find the difference only after 1000kms with K&N)
2. get engine oil changed to Synthetic one.. it makes the engine smoother, revs without a cry..improves the responsiveness of the car.. definetly worth the money
3. a NGK iridium spark plug, what we have in 1.2 is a champion RC8BYC, check the equivalent iridium here Spark plugs UK - Champion, Denso, NGK spark plugs and Magnecor leads, u get a equivalent BKR6EIX NGK iridium plug, available at N1 engineering in bombay

enjoy your ride.....

FIAT, always....
sanjaymugur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 01:34   #10

Hi Sanjay,

Thanks for your suggestions and good to know you liked the review. I'll go after alterations/improvements once the warranty period's up.
Anyway one question, very basic.

Quote:
3. a NGK iridium spark plug, what we have in 1.2 is a champion RC8BYC, check the equivalent iridium here Spark plugs UK - Champion, Denso, NGK spark plugs and Magnecor leads, u get a equivalent BKR6EIX NGK iridium plug, available at N1 engineering in bombay
What difference does changing the spark plug make?
OK, I accept that I am an ignorant illiterate dehati, but from what I know it just has to create a spark to ignite the fuel+air mixture in the cylinder. So as long as the spark plug is not misfiring or otherwise malfunctioning how is one spark plug different from another?
Please enlighten me.
Thanks!
Old 10th June 2007, 08:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

jags,

regarding the needle, its always like that in all cars i think. u have to switch it off and on once then it will go up if more fuel is added.
GeekSrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 10:22   #12
BHPian

Hey jags,
dont go for the NGKs at all. They are totally useless (atleast for smaller engines) ... search the forum for the thread titled "bolted 25bhp" and you will know why i am saying this... I have a 2006 palio 1.2 nv elx and what I have done is added 14 " alloys , K&N extreme filter with plumbing. What I ould recommend you is to go for Mobil 1 supersyn 5w50 . This sysnthetic oil is a little expensive but its worth the money..

PS: spark plugs do make a difference but in extreme engines operating on high temperature and giving out couple of 100 horses.
rishibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 09:02   #13

Thanks Geek and Rishi! Info noted and appreciated.
One more question Rishi, what's the difference between K&N Stock filter and K&N Extreme?
Old 30th August 2007, 16:59   #14

Update: Haven't driven much over last few weeks but I faced a major problem with the electricals.
First the milometer on my car went out. Also the trip meter.
Wanted to get this fixed but Pandit Auto gave me a date several weeks away.
After that,I got a strange problem, whenever I would honk the horn, give the indicator or brake(activate brake lights), or flash the headlight, my stero would go out.
Before I got the date for servicing, the situation got worse, whenever I flashed the headlight, the engine would turn off. I think this was because of the disruption of power to the Fuel Injector. Then I had to start the car again using the old fashion clutch approach.
I gave the car for fixing today. Hope they can fix it. Will share it on this site whatever the outcome.
Old 29th March 2008, 21:09   #15

Unhappy Missing my sweet Italian Beauty

Hi People,
Sorry haven't updated this thread in a long time.A few updates just to tidy things up-
1) Pandit Auto replaced the entire electrical circuitry of the car as they were unable to find the source of the problem. The problem didn't resurface after that. Everything was under warranty.
2) Got second service done. BIG improvement in Engine performance.
3) Me shifted out of the country for long time. So gave the car to me dad.
4) For point no. 3 drove from Pune to Bhopal, my hometown,around 800 km including detours and sightseeing,in October last year. Didn't use the highway but some less-used roads. It was a beautiful drive along the back-roads of Central and Western India. Great scenery, Good music and a Fantastic car. What more can one want from life?
I've recently bought an OHC at my current country of residence. Good Car this Honda. But still I get misty eyed when thinking of my Palio and the fun I had in the 8 months I drove it. Pehla Pyar, can never get over it. Can't wait to get back to India and get my meathooks on her steering once again.
Soon.......

Play Safe and Drive Safe.
-jags