Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2007, 02:23   #76
Team-BHP Support
 
Zappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 5,650
Thanked: 2,009 Times
Default

Whoa! Sorted... wow. I am happy for you man. Sad that Tata gets beaten by its vendors. You can bet your pretty penny that seal was probably faulty (most often it was a bit out of shape) and hence was not setting down in the seat properly and hence the leakage. That could be the most possible reason in a new car. And sadly that seal would have come from some stupid vendor who supplies Tatas such small ancilliaries. Tatas should really screw the happiness of these vendors. On the another thread a member's Xeta CNG was making him cry because of a stupid vendor who is supposed to do the authorized retrofitment on Xetas.

Shows how a good name can be sullied by a handful of goof*****.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 02:29   #77
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,641 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by testdrive View Post
Took the Safari to the workshop again last week. Tata Motors wanted to inspect the vehicle one last time to determine if the engine needed to be replaced...

First the engine was checked from below. The oil leakage was visible around the oil sump, leading them to believe the gasket / sump were faulty. However, there is another oil seal directly above the sump area which could be the source. This area is not visible unless the radiator / intercooler is removed. So after removing both these parts they were able to determine that the oil was indeed leaking from above and not the sump/gasket area!!



Got the vehicle back after 2 days. Have been observing it for 5-6 days now and the problem seems to have been rectified

Now need to address other issues that had taken a backseat - like the black smoke problem!
Good it got solved.
The guy whom I met in workshop a few months back also had a seal problem causing oil leakage(Look at my post in the same thread).
I guess there are multiple seals.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 13:13   #78
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,317 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by testdrive View Post
Took the Safari to the workshop again last week. Tata Motors wanted to inspect the vehicle one last time to determine if the engine needed to be replaced...

First the engine was checked from below. The oil leakage was visible around the oil sump, leading them to believe the gasket / sump were faulty. However, there is another oil seal directly above the sump area which could be the source. This area is not visible unless the radiator / intercooler is removed. So after removing both these parts they were able to determine that the oil was indeed leaking from above and not the sump/gasket area!!



Got the vehicle back after 2 days. Have been observing it for 5-6 days now and the problem seems to have been rectified

Now need to address other issues that had taken a backseat - like the black smoke problem!
Exactly the same thing happened with my friends safari. The leakage was from the same place. On the first visit they re-torqued some nuts and bolts and it was stil leaking, the next time they changed the oil sump gasket and was still leaking. By this time my friend was frustrated and we shot an email to the TATA Customer service and finally the problem was rectified. I am surprised why did it took so long in your case even after TATA came in the picture. Anyhow.... better late than never. Enjoy the beast!
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 13:35   #79
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Noida
Posts: 315
Thanked: Once
Default

good.
water under the bridge.
we are all happy for you.
hope with time you'll be happy your purchase.
happy driving!
doctorkats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 16:45   #80
Senior - BHPian
 
Rahulk76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PNQ
Posts: 1,133
Thanked: 204 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by testdrive View Post
Now need to address other issues that had taken a backseat - like the black smoke problem!
Get that Fuel Filter checked on ur next visit & the same applies to airfilter..
Rahulk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 17:29   #81
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,451
Thanked: 955 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by testdrive View Post
Basically, engines have a magnet at the bottom or in the oil filter that attracts and hold down any metallic particles and prevent them from being recirculated to the pistons etc. When the oil is drained out - these particles come out with the oil or are in the oil filter. Which is why you need to replace both the oil and oil filter. You can now imagine if the same oil is poured back into the engine from the top, how it will damage the engine. These idiots have re-used the oil thrice already. This time however I put my foot down and got them to replace the oil / filter FOC.

Look out for more updates next week...
Hi,
Good to see that the problem is finally fixed.

Also, thanks for the info on the magnet in the oil filter - this is a very cool idea.
I was not aware of this.
You knew this already or did you aquaire this knowledge in the course of diagnosing this issue?

Thanks!
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 12:01   #82
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,451
Thanked: 955 Times
Default

Also, just curious - are the magnets really part of the oil filter?
In that case, when the oil filter is replaced, the magnets also get replaced which is unnecessary, I think.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 15:43   #83
BHPian
 
testdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 131
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Filter Magnets

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Also, just curious - are the magnets really part of the oil filter?
In that case, when the oil filter is replaced, the magnets also get replaced which is unnecessary, I think.
I got to know about filter magnets from a Mechanical Engr. I'm not sure exactly what method is used by Tata's. My understanding is that the magnet is part of the filter and would get replaced along with it. I'm pretty sure old filters end up being recycled (atleast the material).

You can visit this link to know all about oil filters and the use of magnets >>> All About Oil Filters
testdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 15:53   #84
BHPian
 
babureddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 185
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by testdrive View Post
Got the vehicle back after 2 days. Have been observing it for 5-6 days now and the problem seems to have been rectified
so finally the problem is solved...great, atleast from now on you can enjoy the beast without anything pricking your mind...
babureddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 16:20   #85
Senior - BHPian
 
Rahulk76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PNQ
Posts: 1,133
Thanked: 204 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by testdrive View Post
I got to know about filter magnets from a Mechanical Engr. I'm not sure exactly what method is used by Tata's. My understanding is that the magnet is part of the filter and would get replaced along with it. I'm pretty sure old filters end up being recycled (atleast the material).

You can visit this link to know all about oil filters and the use of magnets >>> All About Oil Filters
Dude,

The bolt which tightens the sump is magnetic in nature and not the oil-filter.

There are methods of attaching a magnet onto the oil filter mentioned on carbibles.com and similar other sites.

The main idea of the sump bolt being magnetic in nature is to attract the flimsy metallic particles in oil to itself, and is helpful as when the car is off for few hours all the oil gets back to the sump. But the magnet attached to the oil filter is a good concept. Not sure if it chokes the filter itself due to presence of more no of metallic particles.

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 16th August 2007 at 16:22.
Rahulk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 13:55   #86
BHPian
 
testdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 131
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Updated pics posted

I have posted updated pics of the Safari, i.e. with body color paint and fog lights... (see my BHP garage for details)
testdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 14:32   #87
Team-BHP Support
 
Zappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 5,650
Thanked: 2,009 Times
Default

So you finally got the claddings and the mirrors painted. How much did it cost? Did you get it done through the dealer or from outside? And finally, how good is the finish? Are you satisfied?
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2007, 21:54   #88
BHPian
 
testdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 131
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Paid Rs.16k - got it done from the dealership. Finish is pretty good. Some dealerships remove the cladding to paint. I got it painted without removing the cladding. they basically tape up the area to be painted - that way the cladding is factory fitted. The vehicle definitely looks much better with the body color paint...
testdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2007, 22:38   #89
Senior - BHPian
 
Godfather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore / Atlanta
Posts: 1,387
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by testdrive View Post
Paid Rs.16k - got it done from the dealership. Finish is pretty good. Some dealerships remove the cladding to paint. I got it painted without removing the cladding. they basically tape up the area to be painted - that way the cladding is factory fitted. The vehicle definitely looks much better with the body color paint...
I agree that the vehicle looks good after the cladding is painted.. But i think 16K is a bit too much to pay for it.. I paid 10K in Bangalore at Concorde motors.

Godfather
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 12:21   #90
Senior - BHPian
 
simply_sunny001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London & Rohtak
Posts: 1,339
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
I agree that the vehicle looks good after the cladding is painted.. But i think 16K is a bit too much to pay for it.. I paid 10K in Bangalore at Concorde motors.

Godfather
ya Godfather is right , 16K is a bit extra

i also paid 10K at Nawab Motors Noida

though they removed the cladding and painted it

overall gud painting job but minor tweaks while re pasting the cladding.
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Safari GX 4x2 Update : Sold at 72,000 KMs jkrishnakj Long-Term Ownership Reviews 126 14th June 2015 22:38
Tata Safari Dicor LX 4 X 2 or Safari Dicor EX 4 x 2 Digitalmafia SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 55 1st June 2009 17:31
Tata Safari 3.0 DICOR EX 4x2 - Edit: 25000kms (Pg. 5) drifter Long-Term Ownership Reviews 71 11th April 2009 06:46
Tata Safari Dicor LX 4x2 arindamray Long-Term Ownership Reviews 10 9th April 2009 14:13
For Sale: Tata Safari DICOR VX 4X2 speedmiester Shifting gears 10 12th October 2007 16:35


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks